Retirement-how To Open Bank Account

Forgive me if this has been answerd somewhere but i cant find it! If I apply for a retirement visa in the uk before i go to thailand how can i show the required amount of money in Thai account? Do you open an account before you retire somehow? From postings i understand that when you come to renew after a year the same 800,000 b can be in the account- ie you dont need to prove that you have put it there again from a foreign country? Another question as well sorry- can my spouse ( who wouldnt be retirement age for a couple of years) get a visa off the back of this or do they have to wait until they also retire? thanks in advance for your help

I can only tell you 'where' to open a savings A/c

Try BKK Bank underneath the Emporium dept store nr Sukh soi 24 or opposite at the Kasikorn Bank on the soi 33 corner..

Doubtless there are many others but these are in an expat area and are familiar with dealing with expats.

I was in LoS for 2 years on back to back tourist visas before I applied for a retirement visa at Suan Phnu.

It was painless and I had it in 2 hours..... no medical, just proof that I had the required amount in my savings a/c.

Why not come to LoS on a tourist visa, sort out a bank, transfer the money from the UK and apply at Suan Phlu?

Good luck. :o

Edited by udon

1. If you obtain an O/A visa in the UK (retirement) the money only has to be in an account in the UK. You can transfer it later - before you extend in Thailand the next year.

2. Spouse can obtain an O visa to be with you and no age requirement or income/deposit requirement.

Surly you were not thinking of leaving the wife behind for a couple years? :o

1. If you obtain an O/A visa in the UK (retirement) the money only has to be in an account in the UK. You can transfer it later - before you extend in Thailand the next year.

2. Spouse can obtain an O visa to be with you and no age requirement or income/deposit requirement.

Surly you were not thinking of leaving the wife behind for a couple years? :

No! but I was thinking of leaving my husband behind!! :o Only joking my darling if you see this!

Maybe but it may take a lot of trial and error as you really should have a long term visa and even then some banks don't want to open an account - there has been a surplus of cash the last few years and little lending so they have been extra strict. It may be getting a little looser now.

Thanks!  oh! and some more questions (sorry)- what documents do i need to show to open an account and the minimum amount i need if you know!

I was asked for my passport and 200bt to open a/c and 200bt? for an intl ATM card.

It may have gone up in the last 5 years but not by much.

I was staying in an hotel. So residence was not an issue.

Many banks will likely want a non immigrant visa and a certificate of residence to open any kind of account. As said some may be more willing that others but do not understand why you would be on a tourist visa in any case as you are talking retirement and that is not what you use for retirement.

I have spoken recently to the Bangkok Bank London Branch and they tell me that it is no problem to open an account once in Thailand on a Tourist Visa only. I wanted to go to London and open the account there first, but they said the account had to be opened in Thailand. Once I had done that, I could do business with the London branch as well.