Suvarnabhumi Airport Link - What A Mess!

webfact

For all those UK expats who feel a strange sensation of deja vu and a general sense of foreboding and despair when they see the train design. Perhaps because it's identical to the interior of the delayed 17.52 service from London Waterloo to Reading... calling at... Clapham Junction.... Winnersh Triangle etc etc... In fact the trains used on the Airport link are Siemens and based on the Heathrow Express... but use the interior of a standard commuter train rather than the somewhat plusher interior of the Heathrow Express.

The delayed 17.52, from London Waterloo Excited passengers trying the new Airport Link

919589785_ea34d3ae75.jpg64426h.jpg

So... if you ever feel an inexplicable urge to feel like you're back on the old commuter run into central London, just hop on the brand new Airport link!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used it too the other day just to try it out. It was a joke hauling luggage up and down stairs, wheeling across wet potholes and mud. An absolute joke. The taxis have nothing to worry about. Later i started to understand why the Red Shirts are miffed about the other Thai country called bangkok. 30 billion baht on what and for how few? Imagine what 30 billion baht could have built in north east?

Any tips for a flyer coming in a few days? I really want to try it, but need to get to Sukumvit asap...no luggage to speak of:) thx.

Take the airport train to Phaya Thai, then the skytrain to where ever on Suhkumvit you need to be. Quick, easy, and cheap

Sorry I haven't read all the posts yet (for some reason TV seems incredibly slow) but late Tuesday afternoon I went to the MRT at Petchaburi and just outside the ticket office was an elderly farang lady with two large suitcases and two other small bags. he looked pretty hot and sweaty after probably dragging the bags all the way from the airport link to the MRT.

There were two MRT officials talking to her and refusing to let her use the underground. I didn't stop to listen but I could hear her saying that she came from the airport linkand wanted to go to Sukhumvit Road.

I can see her point that she didn't want to take a taxi when the subway went to Sukhumvit. (Apart from that I wonder if she could have got the two large suitcases and bags in a taxi )

I used it too the other day just to try it out. It was a joke hauling luggage up and down stairs, wheeling across wet potholes and mud. An absolute joke. The taxis have nothing to worry about. Later i started to understand why the Red Shirts are miffed about the other Thai country called bangkok. 30 billion baht on what and for how few? Imagine what 30 billion baht could have built in north east?

Who was in power when all the deals were signed? The red shirts should be looking at their leader if they have an issue about this project.

Where were you hauling luggage up and down stairs? And where were the pot holes and mud?

edit: not saying there weren't stairs or potholes ... just asking where they were so they can be avoided.

Edited by whybother

you obviously have not caught it or we are catching different airport links no flaming intended. i took it from SVB train ok no complaints got off where we all told to get off, walked a dangerously narrow platform not designed for passengers with luggage, me and other passengers carried out suitcases down the stairs to the street, then wheeled them down the road because no taxi would stop for us. it was raining that day. dragged the luggag up the stairs at the bts station. jammed it in on a rush hour bts. got off at suk and caught a taxi to my hotel. I could have done all that in taxi door to door for less than 300 baht which was only 100 baht more than the air link experience. Man i tip a good cabbie hundred a baht.

Any tips for a flyer coming in a few days? I really want to try it, but need to get to Sukumvit asap...no luggage to speak of:) thx.

Take the airport train to Phaya Thai, then the skytrain to where ever on Suhkumvit you need to be. Quick, easy, and cheap

Sorry I haven't read all the posts yet (for some reason TV seems incredibly slow) but late Tuesday afternoon I went to the MRT at Petchaburi and just outside the ticket office was an elderly farang lady with two large suitcases and two other small bags. he looked pretty hot and sweaty after probably dragging the bags all the way from the airport link to the MRT.

There were two MRT officials talking to her and refusing to let her use the underground. I didn't stop to listen but I could hear her saying that she came from the airport linkand wanted to go to Sukhumvit Road.

I can see her point that she didn't want to take a taxi when the subway went to Sukhumvit. (Apart from that I wonder if she could have got the two large suitcases and bags in a taxi )

MRT won't allow big objects/ parcels while BTS will, e.g bicycles.

you obviously have not caught it or we are catching different airport links no flaming intended. i took it from SVB train ok no complaints got off where we all told to get off, walked a dangerously narrow platform not designed for passengers with luggage, me and other passengers carried out suitcases down the stairs to the street, then wheeled them down the road because no taxi would stop for us. it was raining that day. dragged the luggag up the stairs at the bts station. jammed it in on a rush hour bts. got off at suk and caught a taxi to my hotel. I could have done all that in taxi door to door for less than 300 baht which was only 100 baht more than the air link experience. Man i tip a good cabbie hundred a baht.

You can't blame the airport link because a taxi wouldn't stop for you. You can't blame the airport link because you had to walk down the road because a taxi wouldn't stop for you. And you can't blame the airport link because you had to go back up to the BTS because a taxi wouldn't stop for you.

I'm assuming you were at Phaya Thai BTS, where there is a direct link between the airport link and the BTS station, so you didn't need to go down any stairs there.

But, as with most airport links, depending on where you're going, it's sometimes easier not to use it.

Edited by whybother

Okay, this is for long being my subject though on another Forum; 2bangkok.com. And yes I made some nasty remarks through the years but always in a polite manner about the Thai Railways enterprise in common and specific matters i.e. the political background and lack of real interest to run a smooth system. The airport express however, is a smooth system; it's well constructed according the latest railway infrastructure techniques. No, the stock is far from high-speed; these are ordinary commuter trains but also developed with the newest techniques and absolutely nothing wrong with that, this kind of rolling stock you need for the line as planned and accordingly was build. The only thing I agree with is the choice of Makkasan for the fast train as terminal, it's to far from anything people want to be and thus need a taxi ride because other modes of public transportion at the area are not there. If for example one had considered a smooth way of transferring from the Makassan terminal till the Petchaburi station one of the MRTA it had been fine but this was note done. The transfer between Phaya Thai and BTS is without any hindering only you have to walk for a while. But that is inherent on to day's situation wherein every thing is on the brink to be changed. Most of the traffic experts in the Bangkok administration are absolutely convinced of mass transportation rail systems despite the car lobby that turns a blind eye for a clogged city. Give them time... Paris and London were not building in one day, the only advantage these cities have, they start constructing their rail systems more than 100 year ago. By that time the Thai was bound to oxcarts and elephants.

So looking at what we see now, they came a long way. It deserves a congratulation but on the other hand also a mirror and hopefully anyone in command will not turn his head.

Edited by politepoet

Seriously, why is Thailand so terrible at getting things done on time and getting them done right? Is it the corruption?

Regarding the airport link, I heard from what I think are reputable sources (but I can't guarantee they were right), that a major reason of the delay was that the contract for the railways was asking for the contractor to be in charge of renting or buying the lands on which the railways was passing through. Which led to complications as the landlords were not quite ready to let the land go at low prices...

I would not be surprised it is true since I replied to a tender from Airports not long ago for installing equipments, and they were also asking for s to take care of the land use.

It could have been better but i think it is still useful for those who wish toi travel CHEAP and FAST to the city.

if you have known Kuala Lumpur's transport system, it's a 1000 times worse where you just cannot blame it on stupidity alone without the big C.

Edited by healthcaretaker

It's farcical. Every other public transport system in a major city around the world allows passengers to transport their luggage. That's the whole point. Arrogance and ineptitude strike once again at the heart of Thai infrastructure.

Seriously, why is Thailand so terrible at getting things done on time and getting them done right? Is it the corruption?

Regarding the airport link, I heard from what I think are reputable sources (but I can't guarantee they were right), that a major reason of the delay was that the contract for the railways was asking for the contractor to be in charge of renting or buying the lands on which the railways was passing through. Which led to complications as the landlords were not quite ready to let the land go at low prices...

I would not be surprised it is true since I replied to a tender from Airports not long ago for installing equipments, and they were also asking for s to take care of the land use.

The land belongs to the State Railway but there were delays in turning of the right of way to the contractor. The contractor also encountered delays due to heavy rains that caused it to miss the first completion date. There were also delays caused by some financing issues for the State Railway and the government.

For a government civil mega job like this, even 3 years late is not an unknown amount of time. The Jubilee Line in London was almost 3 years late and only made that because they brought in an outside project management team to finish it.

TH

I think the original article is far too harsh - in fact it's complete rubbish in parts - "not connected to any airport". I don't know how much more connected to Suvarnabhumi it could get, and that's an airport as far as I know. I took a ride on the City Line out of interest yesterday and I didn't see any kind of mess. In fact I thought it was well organised, punctual and extremely good value. Admittedly the 15baht fare is an introductory offer though. The transfer onto BTS at Phya Thai is simple and quick.

The Makkasan interchange, and the whole idea of travelling with lots of baggage would be of no interest to me personally. If you are travelling light however - and many do in these days of low cost carriers and chargeable bags - I think the City Line and BTS into the central area is a whole lot better than the licenced bandits in the taxis.

Do not even mention the name the sensorship is merciless in concern of defamation. Yesterday I posted a philosifical thought about another thing that happen and not for 100% the name you gave it but still. The whole thread was removed immediately. Maybe we have to look for it in another direction: willing, prepareness, being convinced of a certain change without thinking on your own interest only. Let say a desired social balance between what's good for you and the society. On the other hand lets be honest about what happen in Europe concerning the railways, the things assumpted in this country are more or less open contrary the West and yes: the twain will never meet.

I saw the train when I was in a traffic jan in Rama 9. Looks very nice. Nicest train I ever saw. It beat bullet train , TGV. etc.

In which case, you would love either Paddington Station or Liverpool Street. These are effectively british rail locos from a few years ago that have now also been built for Thailand. max speed 160km/h, which makes it Thailands fastest train !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_360

Only one is in use on the Heathrow Express, but they are used on the slower Heathrow Connect.

Edited by fft100

Well i need to open my mouth on this.. Webfact has disinformation at least on one issue. I just yesterday used City Link from Makkasan to Phayathai and I did not have any problems to walk from Airport link station to Phayathai BTS station.

There are bridge between those stations and no need to go on street level.

--jp

Yes but did you have 50kg's of luggage?

It seems that a number of posters on here want both cheap and perfect. I have yet to travel to a country that has had an integrated rail connection that gets me to the centre of the city for as little as the new airport rail link - plus it's fast and comfortable. It's not perfect for everyone but what rail links are? If you have a family and loads of luggage it's always easier to take a taxi. Though after my last three taxi rides to/from/to the airport I'll gladly take the new ARL to avoid the stress of taxi drivers trying to match the speed of the train through rush hour traffic - even if it ends up costing my wife and I slightly more to get there than a taxi would have once the new pricing comes into effect in January.

Let's compare to KL Sentral or London Paddington - the other two central terminii of airport rail links I usually use. KL Sentral is a 20 minute ride from anywhere I want to go... but I still use it despite costing the equivalent of £7 because it's considerably cheaper than a taxi. London... Paddington is only good if you want to stay in a cheap(ish) hotel in London. Nothing useful is around Paddington Station. The City is about a 25 minute tube ride away while Canary Wharf is even further. But I use it because it's a hel_l of a lot cheaper than a taxi... even though it costs £18 one way.

The ARL? 50 baht. £1. Cheap!

Is it perfect? No - of course not! Is Makkasan in the middle of nowhere? Well no actually... it's close to Suk and not too far off Siam as well. It's also well connected to the BTS and (hopefully) will be connected properly to the MRT as well.

I get the feeling that a lot of people on these forums wouldn't be happy unless the airport rail link came with a full service massage including a happy ending - or as one poster commented - travelled direct to Nana Plaza.

Perhaps we should all remember that we live in a developing city. Yes - the corruption is horrible and things aren't always built on time - but no where is perfect. And when it comes to infrastructure Bangkok is a hel_l of a lot better than any other developing world city that I've been to. If you're still feeling a bit grumpy and really really really want to compare to developing world cities then perhaps you should have a look at a few others - New York (requires at least one change if you take the rail link), Toronto (no rail link - the airport has faught it to protect parking revenues!), Paris (takes an hour and stops everywhere) or Stockholm (wow - fast! but costs a fortune).

So Bangkok's rail link is even better than some places in the developed world. Now go grab some delicious Thai food and a massage, chill out a bit and enjoy what you have which isn't as horrible as you make it out to be.

Cheers!

barryFunk

Edited by barryFunk

I havent read anyone elses posts to this (for a change)SOMEONE has made a lot of money out of this as usual - so why is the GOVT. not looking at this - is it because it is too closely related to the GOVT. - ie someone in GOVT who has passed this and approved this etc - I think so - i think this is true - What will the Govt do about this - SWEET <deleted> all as usual unless there is a scapgoat - call me old fashioned - but this is true

Edited by rich54321

Quote from the lead report:

"....Whoever is thinking about boarding the Airport Link train at the Makasan Station to Suvarnabhumi Airport should give it a second thought, because they could miss their flights. If anything, using the motorway could be a better choice.

...."

Iwonder if this comment is 'over the top', especially for travellers who just have cabin bags.

Depends on the time of day and where you're coming from.

If you'd be taking the expressway to get to Makkasan, then you're definitely faster to just go to the airport, especially if it's a time of day when Asoke is stop-go traffic. (which is a lot of the time.) It wouldn't surprise me if it took 20-30 minutes to get to the station at Makkasan from the Expressway exit near it at busy periods.

If you're nearer Makkasan than your nearest expressway entrance, it might be worth going to Makkasan.

If you've only got hand luggage (or a small suitcase with wheels), then Skytrain to Phaya Thai then train from there is probably workable. Just remember that most Skytrain stations - even where there's an escalator it's usually not from street level, but there are steps up to it (to keep the escalator above flood water in rainy season)

But going to Phaya Thai by skytrain puts you on the local service - so you'd either have to get off and change trains (and fares) at Makkasan to use the check-in counters there, or take your luggage all the way to the airport on the slow train.

Unless there's an intention to build an expressway loop to drop-off / pick-up points at check-in level at Makkasan (i.e. without actually exiting the expressway), or at a minimum, step-free access from the subway station, even though it's a bit of a hike, the choice of Makkasan for the check-in desks for the express service makes no sense. Phaya Thai would have been a far better option as more people would be likely to get on it there coming from the Skytrain.

Let's compare to KL Sentral or London Paddington - the other two central terminii of airport rail links I usually use. KL Sentral is a 20 minute ride from anywhere I want to go... but I still use it despite costing the equivalent of £7 because it's considerably cheaper than a taxi. London... Paddington is only good if you want to stay in a cheap(ish) hotel in London. Nothing useful is around Paddington Station. The City is about a 25 minute tube ride away while Canary Wharf is even further. But I use it because it's a hel_l of a lot cheaper than a taxi... even though it costs £18 one way.

The ARL? 50 baht. £1. Cheap!

Is it perfect? No - of course not! Is Makkasan in the middle of nowhere? Well no actually... it's close to Suk and not too far off Siam as well. It's also well connected to the BTS and (hopefully) will be connected properly to the MRT as well.

For an equivalently priced rail link, think London, but the underground, not the ridiculously expensive Heathrow Express (where, as you say, the problem is that it comes in to Paddington). You can get on the Piccadilly line at Heathrow (escalators and ramps only to get onto the train - no steps) and travel in to Central London for £2.40 on an Oyster (about 120 baht) if its an off-peak time and kids (under 12) are free (£4.20 the rest of the time).

Add in the ability to change to other lines - in places just by crossing platforms - i.e. Piccadilly to District line at Hammersmith, and you can get to large swathes of London for that price.

Admittedly it's more equivalent to the local service, but without the hassle of having to buy another ticket when you change trains. And, just like Thailand and Hong Kong, you can end up at a station where you do have stairs to negotiate with your luggage.

All these armchair commentators should take it first then criticise later. Like the airport, it's bound to have glitches at first, though one wonders why when they've been testing it for more than a year! Lots of people speak of Suvarnabhumi as an awful airport and a mess but I disagree, perhaps not one of the world's top 10 but much better than most. We have a tendency to criticise everything here, I've no doubt this rail link has corruption and inefficiencies but will be useful and an acceptable experience.

The key thing here is that Bangkok taxis are generally good value so, they are always going to compete with this rail service, and as long as it remains 250 baht to get from airport to hotel door-to-door in 45 minutes people just aren't going to wait around for 30 minutes to board a 15 minute train journey and then still need a 15 minute 50 baht taxi ride at the other end. It will however be useful during rush hour when taxis become a 1.5 hour journey to the airport. Slap a 100 baht vehicle congestion charge on taxi use and I'm sure you'll find the rail link more sensible.

Maybe that's why there is no easy access between Makkasan and Petchaburi MRT. They don't want to encourage you to use the MRT with your luggage.

I've had problems with the Skytrain as well - coming back from the Ploenchit fair last year they wouldn't let us board the train with the helium-filled balloon my daughter had bought. Basically, they can, like the underground, choose to let you on or not based on what you're carrying.

i.e. Even if you're staying next to a skytrain station, you might have to take a taxi to the airport link if the security guy doesn't want you taking your bags on the train.

And if you're taking a taxi to the airport link - why not just take the taxi to the airport...

Is anyone surprised? I've heard that the rails were fast but this was before the actual opening. The pricing had better be at most 50 baht per person for all the inconveniences with luggage and logistics and typical 'not-convenient- for-the-user' Thai infrastructure. 200-250 baht door to door with taking metered taxis is much better without the inconveniences. When you're budgeting that much money for a mega-project for the country, you'd better have it all planned out well. It's only in Thailand where they 'do' before 'thinking' about results and consequences. In Thailand they are known for creating and starting new events and projects, but never good at maintaining and finishing. The Thai government should learn from Singapore or Hong Kong, or any other country for that matter. Let's see what happens in the next year on this rail line.

In the 1960's, the "King of the Hill" for all of South East Asia was Thailand. Malaysia had routine race riots. Cambodia was overun with Communist insurgents, Singapore was a rundown 3rd rate backwater port, and Vietnam & Laos were fighting a war.

Singapore had a better idea - let the foreigners in to do what they want. Meanwhile, Thailand increased restrictions on foreigners.

Well, now that the war is over, Vietnam is building up quickly and Singapore is the top of the heap, while Thailand has fallen to a contest with Cambodia for Fourth Place.

Corruption is the problem and both Red and Yellow shirts see that, but without unity, there is no solution - the criminals remain in charge, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer and progress doesn't exist.

Follow Singapore's exapmle and actually open the doors to foreigners and foreign investment. Yes, the rich will still get richer, but so will the poor. With progress comes better education and many other benefits.