Suvarnabhumi Airport Link - What A Mess!

webfact

Let me see: It is a mess because the trains are not have a look to the liking of the writer. It is a mess because the trains do (not yet connect) to a BTS station, and it is a mess because it took 7 years to construct. Well if that are the criteria, each and every project in the USA or Australia would qualify as "a mess". The trains in England do not only look old, they are ancient. The US do not even have a railway network that answers to the needs of the last century.Give me a break. So many sour people here who should consider going back home.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not surprise at all but we have to give them time to re think about all details

You are joking, right?

After seven years and 10's of billions of baht, you would think they could find their a$ from a hole in the ground. Obviously, they can't. TiT after all, where graft & corruption are the order of the day. As long as appearances are held up and the Thai's can maintain face, who cares if the multi-billion baht boondoggle actually has any real use.

Edited by KeyserSoze01

The airport train in Shanghai suffers from a similar issue- it's less of a hassle, and not much more cost, to take a car directly from the airport to one's hotel or home. And in Shanghai they have the added novelty of the train being a Maglev.

Unless of course you just take the subway from Shanghai Airport to your hotel in the city centre. Cost 6 Yuan ( 30 Baht ). Used it last week - simple and cheap.

I took the train from Shanghai to Changzhou a couple of weeks ago. Was pure comfort. I think we hit about 333k/hour :)

I think it makes it cheap & easy for airport staff to get to work & not a lot else.

One wonders how many billion baht were raked off the top as kick-backs?

And by who? Sino Thai are the construction contractor but the hardware trains controls etc. are supplied by Siemens!Didn't they recently pay a record fine in US for international corrupt practices?

Same as Mo-Chit BTS station which requires a taxi ride to get to Mo-Chit bus station Again many problems traveling with heavy bags to catch a bus So who benefits from all these corrupt cock up ? Land owners and taxi drivers spring to mind There would be a lot of taxi drivers out of work if the airport and bus station links went completely to the correct destination as originally specified. In the UK airport links are now from central cities right into the terminal buildings And the rail link from Australia's Brisbane airport to the city is very good but not frequent enough .

Edited by johncat1

I'm sure the airport link in time will be a great success, and that is my worry, not becuase i want to see it fail, but because it is linked to the BTS at Paya Thai. Imagine the utter chaos during rush hour as 500 families,children and suitcaes in tow pile on to the BTS as everyone leaves work and then tries to do the cross platform dash, at Siam to get onto the Silom line!! The BTS as we know is already massively overcrowded, and i pity the poor sod fresh off a 16 hour flight trying to find a spac for him, his wife, kids and bags on the 6pm BTS on a friday evening. The railway link will work, i think to BTS bit won't.

I'm sure the airport link in time will be a great success, and that is my worry, not becuase i want to see it fail, but because it is linked to the BTS at Paya Thai. Imagine the utter chaos during rush hour as 500 families,children and suitcaes in tow pile on to the BTS as everyone leaves work and then tries to do the cross platform dash, at Siam to get onto the Silom line!! The BTS as we know is already massively overcrowded, and i pity the poor sod fresh off a 16 hour flight trying to find a spac for him, his wife, kids and bags on the 6pm BTS on a friday evening. The railway link will work, i think to BTS bit won't.

You are probably right with the family senario, but they would be better off with a taxi anyway. However people traveling on short haul flights traveling in one's or two's hopefully will find the train more convenient. It may help to keep the roads to the airport clearer too.

Lets hope it works.

Quite right, but that begs the question as to why they have not added extra cars to the trains.

The platforms are certainly long enough to accomodate at least 2 extra cars.

Quite right, but that begs the question as to why they have not added extra cars to the trains.

The platforms are certainly long enough to accomodate at least 2 extra cars.

Money.

But they are putting new 4 carriage trains on the Silom line, and I assume the existing 3 carriage trains from there will be used on the Sukhumvit line to provide extra services.

Edited by whybother

Well the Thai Rail Authorities are well known for corruption, which explains the trains quality/style.

Thairath = Red Shirt Supporters, no surprises there.

So I guess he only went the first day didn't he? Not going to give us daily updates then are you Thairath?

Edited by LindsayBKK

It's like everything in Thailand: 85%.

Some great ideas for projects, events or improvements, but at the end, the responsible people stop thinking at ~ 85%, so almost nothing in this country is done really professional.

The Airport link would have been a great thing to have, but with these prices and the flaws in the actual way the connection is implemented, it's a 'luxury thing' (if someone has time and pays quite a lot given the time it takes and problems involved) to use these services. After giving it a try and experiencing the hassle, most people will just continue to use the taxis, I guess.

Sorry, I must correct you. Today it's 70%. 10 years ago it was 85%. Inflation and cost of living (tea is expensive if you get my drift).

I took the new airport express on Tuesday afternoon from Suvanarbhumi to Makhasan. two weeks previously I took the airport link from Kuala Lumpt Airport to Sentral. I found the KL link to be rather swankier, more expensive and a lot further. The journey from Suvnarbhumi to Makhasan took just 13 minutes from the very easy to find station underneath the terminal at Suvanarbhum ito Makhassan, just behind Sukhumvit. At the moment it costs just 100 baht return. The trains are bright, modern and effiicient. The on board toilets weren't working. Other than that it was an impressively efficent journey to Makhasan. From there helpful (very helpful) staff directed me to the exit. From there though things haven't been thought out. It is a 5 minute walk across busy highways to Petchaburi underground station (they must surely have a plan for an underground walkway with travellator, or am I being too optimistic?) I took this one stop to Sukhumvit Underground and then walked along Sukhumvit Rd to Soi Nana Nue. From here it is a good 15 minute walk back to the Makhasan station. fine on a cloudy afternoon in August, but I wouldn't want to walk it with luggage or on a hot or rainy day. I wouldnt thing a taxi would be interested in such a short fare. There were no taxis in the immediate vicinity of Makahasan station. so to summarise. A very good link from airport to city, but work needs doing on connections from Makahasan to Sukhumvit It looked like the whole project had been done to facilitate rich Thais who want to leave their cars in town and travel to the airport by train rather than to business travellers or tourists (Good parking facilties at Makhasan). Many of the problems will I'm sure be ironed out in due course and leave Bangkok with an airport link to be proud of.........of courese I live in Chiang Mai where I wanderd out of the airport, wife and child on arm and hopped in a taxi where a very pleasant English speaking driver took me to me home in central Chiang Mai for 120 baht. Which is one of the reasons I live here - and not in Bangkok!!!

Same as Mo-Chit BTS station which requires a taxi ride to get to Mo-Chit bus station Again many problems traveling with heavy bags to catch a bus So who benefits from all these corrupt cock up ? Land owners and taxi drivers spring to mind There would be a lot of taxi drivers out of work if the airport and bus station links went completely to the correct destination as originally specified. In the UK airport links are now from central cities right into the terminal buildings

What the heck are you talking about? Who's catching a bus from where? The train DOES go completely to the correct destination as specified. Like the UK, it DOES go from the city centre right into the terminal building. Have you read any of the replies? Have you actually been anywhere near this train? Obviously not.

Yet another know-it-all-Thailand-can't-do-anything-right nay sayer who actually knows nothing about the subject at hand. All this misinformation is starting to become irritating.

Edited by josephbloggs

comparing with HongKong is utterly stupid. HK is a fast world country. Installing such massive elevated train as such is very appreciable and i'm sure Thai's will soon figure it out.

wait and see, we will start to enjoy this service very soon.

It is worth pointing out that at the end of the line of the Airport Express at Hong Kong station most people grab a taxi to their final destination and although there is a link to the MTR it is quite a walk and relatively few take it.

The airport train in Shanghai suffers from a similar issue- it's less of a hassle, and not much more cost, to take a car directly from the airport to one's hotel or home. And in Shanghai they have the added novelty of the train being a Maglev.

But let's see how it goes. I remember when the Skytrain first opened there was massive criticism saying it was too expensive for Thais to use, not convenient, the stations were a pain, and it'd take many years to break even. Bit by bit escalators were added, walkways were built and connected to buildings, and improvements were made that made the Skytrain an indispensable part of Bangkok daily life. The airport link isn't going anywhere and over time I suspect will be the same.

Well said,

Start-up and commissioning always reveals issues, glitches and modifications needed.

Some retooling and mods will bring improvement.

To think a project of this size and scope is going to initially be problem free from the start is silly. Give it time.

Edited by cobra

It is worth pointing out that at the end of the line of the Airport Express at Hong Kong station most people grab a taxi to their final destination and although there is a link to the MTR it is quite a walk and relatively few take it.

Good point. Likewise the KLIA Express in KL. Whenever I've used it I've had to get a cab at the other end. When I arrive at Paddington off the horribly overpriced Heathrow Express I have to take a (horribly overpriced) cab. There's no way you want to be humping big luggage on the tube. Surely that's just accepted and normal?

Then again maybe MalaysianVisa.com and EnglishVisa.com are both full of whingey expats complaining about that very same thing, has anyone checked?

Edited by josephbloggs

Then again maybe both MalaysianVisa.com and EnglishVisa.com are both full of whingey expats complaining about that very same thing, has anyone checked?

Don't know about the second one wink.gif, but you are quite right about the first one (only difference is that it was on a smaller scale than here, and over 5 years ago,

can't get it right in 4 days after how many years to be built?

Lucky your not in your own country complaining about the stuff ups there.

In Australia we had a political coup but little was said about it! Now we have a dead lock after an election.

See how the service is going in 5-6 days and then go boots and all at them.

What testing did they do before things opened? I can't see that here.

I now understand Thai when they say that foreigners are just complaining persons and never happy...

People used to complain (stupid me also) about Suvarnhabumi airport which should had collapsed long time ago... but i still don't see the cracks...

Someone must be stupid to complain about all Thai things... or maybe i stayed here too long :-)

What an absolute rubbish article. The author must work for a taxi company. How can they say the Airport Link doesn't go to the airport? They obviously haven't ridden it. While it's unfortunate that the link to the BTS is not yet complete it IS in the works. Lugging suitcases up stairs??? Again- it's obvious the author hasn't ridden the Airport Link so what business does this sorry excuse for a "reporter" have slagging off on something they obviously know nothing about? Typical Thai "journalism" I guess... SRT should sue! :annoyed:

I didn't realize we had so many important people on Thaivisa they were in the meetings when all of the tea money was divided up. Since they know so much aboutt this how much did they get for attending the meetings.

Ride the trains and subways in Paris. A few escalators but lots of stairs up and down and a few pick pockets

Come on now, let's look at the positive side: All that money that was saved by putting this whole thing up with minimal costs bought some nice cars and houses for all the officials involved.

The question presents itself once again: STUPID, or EVIL. I go with evil this time ;)

post-20814-057719400 1282797337_thumb.jp

Same as Mo-Chit BTS station which requires a taxi ride to get to Mo-Chit bus station Again many problems traveling with heavy bags to catch a bus So who benefits from all these corrupt cock up ? Land owners and taxi drivers spring to mind There would be a lot of taxi drivers out of work if the airport and bus station links went completely to the correct destination as originally specified. In the UK airport links are now from central cities right into the terminal buildings

What the heck are you talking about? Who's catching a bus from where? The train DOES go completely to the correct destination as specified. Like the UK, it DOES go from the city center right into the terminal building. Have you read any of the replies? Have you actually been anywhere near this train? Obviously not.

Yet another know-it-all-Thailand-can't-do-anything-right nay sayer who actually knows nothing about the subject at hand. All this misinformation is starting to become irritating.

Johncat1 is right and JosephBlogs is wrong. Many years ago the bus terminal is call Mor Chit. It is on Phaholyothin Road, The Mor Chit BTS station is built just beside the Mor Chit bus station, hence the name. Unfortunately, since Phaholyothin road is always jammed (even today), the bus station has to move out to Kampenphet Road. The new station is called "Mor Chit 2" (stupid, they should have rename it)m which indeed a taxi ride away.

Hence if you take the BTS to Mor Chit station, you do NOT arrive at "Mor Chit 2 Bus station". You need to continue by taxi or bus or whatever. It is too far to walk.

The old Mor Chit bus station has since converted into a BTS train depot.

I hope this clear up.

comparing with HongKong is utterly stupid. HK is a fast world country. Installing such massive elevated train as such is very appreciable and i'm sure Thai's will soon figure it out.

wait and see, we will start to enjoy this service very soon.

The Kowlon Station for the Airport train provides free bus shuttle service to most major hotels.

I now understand Thai when they say that foreigners are just complaining persons and never happy...

People used to complain (stupid me also) about Suvarnhabumi airport which should had collapsed long time ago... but i still don't see the cracks...

Someone must be stupid to complain about all Thai things... or maybe i stayed here too long :-)

C'mon frenchfarang lets be fair, posters on TV complain about how crap other countries are as well. espicially UK and USA. I think you're right though with many people on here, putting the cart before the horse and complaining about a rail link which some people have never seen, let alone tried. That being said if you have been here a while experience does teach you that a pattern emerges with most projects and undertakings. I think that most Thais dislike the way we complain as we are more open with our complaints, as it's the cultural norm for us to complain and to make sure everyone hears out complaints, moans or gripes. Thais complain about Thai land as well, just in a quieter and different way. And lets remember the OP comes from a Thai language newspaper, so it's most likely a Thai who wrote it, providing the ammunition and encouragement for all the TV member to start complaining!!!!

The rail link will be a success and like all things changes will need to be made to adapt and accomodate users as usage patterns become more apparent. Kinda like the new Terminal 5? at Heathrow.

What the heck are you talking about? Who's catching a bus from where? The train DOES go completely to the correct destination as specified. Like the UK, it DOES go from the city center right into the terminal building. Have you read any of the replies? Have you actually been anywhere near this train? Obviously not.

Johncat1 is right and JosephBlogs is wrong. Many years ago the bus terminal is call Mor Chit. It is on Phaholyothin Road, The Mor Chit BTS station is built just beside the Mor Chit bus station, hence the name. Unfortunately, since Phaholyothin road is always jammed (even today), the bus station has to move out to Kampenphet Road. The new station is called "Mor Chit 2" (stupid, they should have rename it)m which indeed a taxi ride away.

Hence if you take the BTS to Mor Chit station, you do NOT arrive at "Mor Chit 2 Bus station". You need to continue by taxi or bus or whatever. It is too far to walk.

The old Mor Chit bus station has since converted into a BTS train depot.

I hope this clear up.

Good post Chantorn.

It's a very confusing situation for the uninformed traveller at Mor Chit. Maybe it's also intentional. I hear/read there are a lot of human trafficking gangs at the bus station waiting to prey on unsuspecting NE Thais new to the city.