Passport For Child

My wife and 2 kids are emigrating from UK to thailand. My wife and oldest child (not mine) have Thai passports but myself and my son have British passports.

I understand that it is possible for my son, who is 18 months old, to have a Thai passport issued due to his mothers nationality. Clearly this will be beneficial to the emigration.

Can anyone tell me where and how I apply for the passport for him? Is it better to apply in Bangkok or London? Can he hold dual nationality, i.e. can he keep his British Passport as well.

Any info gratefully received as the inof on the UK Thai Embassy website is not very clear.

Andy

Firstly, yes, he is allowed to have dual nationality. Please do a search on this site as this topic is discussed often.

You should apply for the childs Thai passport in London. You will need to have the emabassy firstly to issue a Thai birth certificate for your child. This will require his UK birth certficate, plus any evidence of the mothers Thai nationality, usually ID card and/or passport.

Once the birth certificate has been issued he then can apply for the Thai passport. Once issued, he can enter Thailand on this passport.

Thanks Samran

I did do the "search" but just got offered 1000 "posts" and gave up after skipping through the first 5 pages as they were not that relevant anyway.

Perhaps I need to learn how to do the search properly first.

Apologies for perservering here but is it possible to get the birth certificate and passport issued in the same trip to the embassy in London? Indeed is it the Thai embassy we have to go to? Obviously if I can do this in one trip to London it would be much better than have to make two.

Oh - and if you can show me the link to the correct topic I would be MOST grateful.

Andy

Thanks Samran

I did do the "search" but just got offered 1000 "posts" and gave up after skipping through the first 5 pages as they were not that relevant anyway.

Perhaps I need to learn how to do the search properly first.

Apologies for perservering here but is it possible to get the birth certificate and passport issued in the same trip to the embassy in London? Indeed is it the Thai embassy we have to go to? Obviously if I can do this in one trip to London it would be much better than have to make two.

Oh - and if you can show me the link to the correct topic I would be MOST grateful.

Andy

I am not sure how long the BC takes, but the passport will take at least 2-4 weeks. You should be able to apply at the same time. If they are like any other Thai embassy that I have dealt with, they usually have a postal option so that the BC and Thai PP can be sent to you when they are ready. Ring them though to be certain.

Once the birth certificate has been issued he then can apply for the Thai passport

One small point, you don't have to wait for the BC to be issued. We took the kids to the Thai Embassy in London and asked for Thai BC, on this premise. Halfway through the application she said "Do you want the passports as well?"

All in all took 45 minutes in the Embassy and a 10 week wait for the passports.

Easy Peasy

Make sure you have all your paperwork first day, marriage certificate, photos, etc