Iodine Deficiency Blamed For Low IQ Among Thai Children

george

The amt. of iodine added to salt is the bare min. one needs to ward off goiter because of various enviromental issues we typically need more. Exposure to chlorine, which has a effinity for iodine receptors, blocks the iodine. Iodine unable to attach to its receptors because of chlorine is flushed out of the body and is unable to preform its function.

Higher dosage of iodine is necessary to remove the chlorine and allow the iodine to attach to its receptors.

Table salt is not widely used in Thai cuisine and cooking. Fish sauce has taken the place, is it very salty but i don't know if the salt in fish sauce contains added iodine.

Apparently not.

Urging manufacturers of salt, fish sauce, crispy snacks and instant noodle to add iodine to their products at a meeting yesterday

But maybe it does as the ministry urges salt manufacturers aswell and several posters already said that ionized salt is widely available.Actually they had to look for imported salt to get non-ionized :o .

Despite the proliferation of the hypermarkets (particularly in areas with heavy foreigner presence), many people country-wide don't get their supplies there:

The source of salt (iodized) for a lot of farang:

lotust.jpg

The source of salt (non-iodized) for a lot of Thais:

boklua5.jpg

MIneral deficiencies are responsible for many of the ailments of man. What 'expert' in the ministry decided this one in particular was worth rattling their hand bag over? Seems they read it in a Chinese newspaper and decided to ride up on free press!

Every drug approved and sold on the planet depletes minerals (and vitamins) in the body. As to the affects of iodine I have found no actual evidence that is a correct statement.

The worst offenders in the drug damage tables are antibiotics, depleting Vitamin B1, B2, B6, B12, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, A, D, Calcium, Iron, Potassium, Magnesium, Sodium and Zinc but NOT Iodine, Fluoride, Vitamin E or Phosphorus.

The second worst offender is Contraceptives followed closely by Lipid Lowering Drugs, Sulfonamides and Laxatives!

But sorry - Iodine is not the offender here and IQ is able to be altered by stimulus such as (even games) so sorry - iodine does not wash with me. The only drugs that depletes Iodine are Analgesics - so look at why there are iodine deficiencies and not make broad statements if low IQ is really the issue! neus.gif

Edited by asiawatcher

From memory ,the govt. made adding Iodine mandatory to salt many years ago

Apparently not.

Urging manufacturers of salt, fish sauce, crispy snacks and instant noodle to add iodine to their products at a meeting yesterday

but a lot of Thais do not use salt so much as fish sauce, it therefore makes sense to add it to fish sauce ,as well as other salty Foods

Yes, it is. Adding it to all the products above makes the most sense.

Edited by Buchholz

There is no problem with correcting a problem, however, there is a problem with believing that the solution to one problem will cure another. In a country where seafood is readily available and cheap, it is unlikely that acute shortages of this element would be a major problem contributing to significant mental deficiencies.

The problem of lack of stimulation, too much time spent sitting, not enough play areas for a large segment of the youth is a factor in IQ.

The link between iodine deficiency in Thailand and the IQ level is tenuous at best. I hope this isn't the panacea they decide will cure the educational problems of Thailand.

With that said, by all means, correct the iodine deficiency. Iodize salt, and then, of course, tell people to use less salt because it causes high blood pressure!

You are right, of course.

But all the problems mentioned by you will take an awful amount of time to rectify, don't you think.

I think you might consider iodizing the salt a simple step helping to rectify part of the problem.

And it is not salt that causes high blood pressure.

A lower intake of salt helps to bring down blood presure, that is all.

Actually there is studies out now suggesting that lack of salt is worse for you than to much salt.

I'm afraid that there are some very deep rooted problems that Thailand needs to address in it's culture too.

Most kids leave school at around 15 years old with little useful education. Whether the Thais like it or not, English should be compulsory and so should computer skills.

These then go on to have kids at very young ages - late teens early twenties.

The boyfriend then can't face up to the responsibility and disappears.

The girl then goes out to earn money to send home to her parents so they can take care of the baby.

Whilst the mother has received little or no useful education, the grandparents are of even less use in this respect. Probably never spoken a word of English and never set hands on a computer.

So the child then grows up on a diet of Thai TV and cartoons plus whatever the schools can throw at them.

and the cyclce then goes around again churning out adults that can only perform menial jobs - farming rice, selling food or clothes, motorbike taxi.

Where does the iodine work here?

I missed the part where the OP said adding iodine to salt and salted products will cure all the ills of society. What I read was an effort to address a small part of those ills by adding iodine in order to correct the various ill-effects of iodine-deficiency.

Please re-read the first line in my post.

The iodine is viewed as the cure to a low IQ among Thai children. IQ is determined by asking the children a number of questions that they either know the answer to or do not.

You should inform the WHO and UNCF of their mistake:

Thai children have a rather low IQ at a level of 90-110, in which the World Health Organization and United Nations Children's Fund had pointed out the cause as iodine deficiency.

Still, I don't believe that they or anyone else truly believes it is the total and absolute cure of low IQ, but merely a good and easy step to take in an attempt to raise it.

I do agree with your first line in that there are quite a few long-standing problems that Thailand faces currently, however, I'm not sure that attempting to discuss a myriad of cultural and societal shortcomings is appropriate in a thread about adding iodine to salt.

I'm afraid that there are some very deep rooted problems that Thailand needs to address in it's culture too.

Most kids leave school at around 15 years old with little useful education. Whether the Thais like it or not, English should be compulsory and so should computer skills.

The girl then goes out to earn money to send home to her parents so they can take care of the baby.

Whilst the mother has received little or no useful education, the grandparents are of even less use in this respect. Probably never spoken a word of English and never set hands on a computer.

So the child then grows up on a diet of Thai TV and cartoons plus whatever the schools can throw at them.

and the cyclce then goes around again churning out adults that can only perform menial jobs - farming rice, selling food or clothes, motorbike taxi.

I missed the part where the OP said adding iodine to salt and salted products will cure all the ills of society. What I read was an effort to address a small part of those ills by adding iodine in order to correct the various ill-effects of iodine-deficiency.

Please re-read the first line in my post.

The iodine is viewed as the cure to a low IQ among Thai children. IQ is determined by asking the children a number of questions that they either know the answer to or do not.

You should inform the WHO and UNCF of their mistake:

Thai children have a rather low IQ at a level of 90-110, in which the World Health Organization and United Nations Children's Fund had pointed out the cause as iodine deficiency.

Still, I don't believe that they or anyone else truly believes it is the total and absolute cure of low IQ, but merely a good and easy step to take in an attempt to raise it.

I do agree with your first line in that there are quite a few long-standing problems that Thailand faces currently, however, I'm not sure that attempting to discuss a myriad of cultural and societal shortcomings is appropriate in a thread about adding iodine to salt.

Where does it say this:

Where does it say this:

8 posts up from your reply.

It's Post # 51.

Edited by Buchholz

Cretinism is a condition of severely stunted physical and mental growth due to untreated congenital deficiency of thyroid hormones(congenital hypothyroidism) due to maternal nutritional deficiency of iodine.

Check the link I posted, showing the deficiency across the world on a heat-map.

Basically, in general, there is no more deficiency here than in Europe. Ergo...it is an excuse, not an explanation.

My kids are honor students but THE BOYS in BKK I belief do need an excuse :lol:

Perhaps it's the lack of iodine that helps perpetuate this sorry state of affairs - and iodized salt would not be of much benefit to the massive number of people here whose only source of culinary salt is naam plaa.

Where does it say this:

It's Post # 51.

The part before the comma has been confirmed.

The part after it is pure conjecture. The WHO and UNICEF were not parties to this report.

Where does it say this:

It's Post # 51.

The part before the comma has been confirmed.

The part after it is pure conjecture. The WHO and UNICEF were not parties to this report.

You're right. The NNT made it all up in their news report after dropping LSD.

I wonder if anyone has conducted any tests to ascertain what the typical rural teacher's IQ is? What about the IQ of the parents? what about pregnant mothers drinking and smoking? has anyone done this or have they just picked on Iodine out at random? Are they saying give em iodine and we will be turning out Einsteins. The culture and traditional rearing methods found in Thailand must be studied.

I think Thai people are basicly nice people, they don't need to be so bright do they?

Why are so many people are mainly focused on IQ, as if other Q's don't matter :) What's the use of a high IQ, when for instance EQ (or perhaps SQ) is low?

How complete is this conclusion that iodine is needed for a higher IQ? It seems a bit too simplified. There's much more to IQ than just iodine I suppose.

Edited by hyls

An amazing array of cynical responses here to what is a very simple solution to a perceived problem.

Adding minute quantities of iodine to things like fish sauce used by almost every Thai household is what is being mooted and that seems to have no negatives.

No one is saying it will improve school systems, national cultural traits or some forum members' cynicism but it will address some nutritional imbalances for many.

Well said!

Thai children score badly on IQ tests because they aren't exposed to intellectual challenges. The school system is still based on memorising, not on understanding what they are supposed to learn. Adding iodine is just another excuse not to improve the school system, which would require resources that probably aren't available in this country. The question is also if the Thai society as a whole is interested in smarter children.

You should study the reports on page 1 of this topic a little better, otherwise you wouldn't have written the above.

Iodine is extremely important for the development of the brain, already when the baby is growing in the pregnant mother.

Lack of iodine may cause serious problems for any kid in the world, later in life, including a low IQ; to state that it is "just another excuse not to improve the school system" shows you have not studied the facts about iodine and/or the lack of it.

LaoPo

Thailand has been adding iodine to salt on sale in the shops since 1994. If you go and look at the bag of salt in your kitchen you will see the word "iodized" on the packaging. And God knows no one needs to tell the Thais to put more salt in their food. So I seriously doubt that anyone in Thailand suffers from an iodine, or salt, deficiency now.

If IQ's are a tad on the low side it's more likely to be down to a book deficiency. I'm always saddened when I visit houses where young children are being raised and there isn't a book to be seen anywhere in the house.

• Like 1

Was this discovered by the same 'Scientist' who found that flying at altitude exposes you to more cosmic rays.

Obviously Abhisit and Korn who are Oxford graduates were drip fed iodine from birth.

This has to be the poorest excuse I have ever heard to excuse a completely useless school system.

I have been hanging out with a colleague's family in close proximity recently. They have a 6 year old who attends the local government school.

The kid seems completely obsessed with watching videos of the national anthem on youtube and takes enormous pride in regaling us with his singing rendition for about 2 hours a night. I think the problem is far closer to home than iodine deficiency.

So true! Absolute nonsense, just another excuse to remove blame from poor government in the education sector. Their whole emphasis is NOT about empowering their people to think jugdementally or creatively, it's about compliance with the culture and state! Keep the rich rich and the poor under the thumb. An educated populous is much harder to control and keep in line. Don't let 'em think for themselves! Let's balme it on some obscure nutrient defieciency (of which even then I question, as the icidence of goiter would likely be extreme if this was the case). All the salt I've seen sold here already has iodine compounds in it anyway. Sounds like complete rot to avoid putting the balme where it really should be!!!

Most poorer Thais use the locally produced sea salt. You can pick it up in most town markets. It has no iodine. It is very cheap compared to the iodized salt sold in grocery stores. It's not that the iodized salt is really expensive, but every baht counts when you aren't earning much.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Most poorer Thais use the locally produced sea salt. You can pick it up in most town markets. It has no iodine. It is very cheap compared to the iodized salt sold in grocery stores. It's not that the iodized salt is really expensive, but every baht counts when you aren't earning much.

Not likely they will be benefiting from the iodine added to snack treats either then.

Guess what, naam blaa is considered an excellent source of iodine.

Home Made Fermented Fish Sauce

By Joanne Hay

This clear brown fermented sauce, made from small whole fish including the head and organs, is rich in iodine and other substances that benefit the thyroid gland. On heating, the fishy taste disappears but the nutrients remain. You may add fish sauce to any heated soup instead of salt.

Fish sauce originated from Asia where is it used in everyday cooking. Included in coconut curries and soups, it’s a wonderful source of iodine and other thyroid nutrients and well ad vitamins A and D. Roman soldiers marched 20 miles a day wearing armour and carrying an 35-40kg pack which included their food. They had coarse bread and millet and lentil porridge supplemented with garum or liquamem, their own version of fish sauce.

(from nourished magazine) http://editor.nourishedmagazine.com.au/articles/home-made-fermented-fish-sauce

Well doesn't that just make this whole iodine deficiency thing look stupid.

Evidently only about 2% of Thais are affected by iodine deficiency. Fish sauce doesn't provide enough iodine. Check out this article.

http://www.idpas.org/pdf/2140CombatingIodineandIronDeficiencies.pdf

Here are a couple of excerpts.

Two iodine and seven iron compounds were tested for use in the fortification of pure fish sauce, mixed fish sauce,and salt brine for cooking as a means to combat iodine and iron deficiencies.
Micronutrient deficiency is a public health problem in most developing countries [1, 2]. In Thailand, irondeficiency anemia affects such vulnerable groups as pregnant women and children, with prevalences as high

as 70% in some rural areas [3]. Moreover, although the overall revalence of iodine-deficiency disorders is low in Thailand (2.1%), food-based strategies are needed to maintain this level, as well as to reduce the revalence of iodine-deficiency disorders in areas where it remains high.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Most poorer Thais use the locally produced sea salt.  You can pick it up in most town markets.  It has no iodine.  It is very cheap compared to the iodized salt sold in grocery stores.  It's not that the iodized salt is really expensive, but every baht counts when you aren't earning much.

Many Thai can afford to shop in a Tesco or a Big C market. There they buy fish sauce or other salty liquids that they use for cooking.

Most poorer Thais use the locally produced sea salt.  You can pick it up in most town markets.  It has no iodine.  It is very cheap compared to the iodized salt sold in grocery stores.  It's not that the iodized salt is really expensive, but every baht counts when you aren't earning much.

Many Thai can afford to shop in a Tesco or a Big C market. There they buy fish sauce or other salty liquids that they use for cooking.

True. Nevertheless, most salt I've seen in homes in the villages has been bags of sea salt. Not only cheaper, sea salt also tastes better. Too bad it's not iodized.

There is no problem with correcting a problem, however, there is a problem with believing that the solution to one problem will cure another. In a country where seafood is readily available and cheap, it is unlikely that acute shortages of this element would be a major problem contributing to significant mental deficiencies.

The problem of lack of stimulation, too much time spent sitting, not enough play areas for a large segment of the youth is a factor in IQ.

The link between iodine deficiency in Thailand and the IQ level is tenuous at best. I hope this isn't the panacea they decide will cure the educational problems of Thailand.

With that said, by all means, correct the iodine deficiency. Iodize salt, and then, of course, tell people to use less salt because it causes high blood pressure!

You are right, of course.

But all the problems mentioned by you will take an awful amount of time to rectify, don't you think.

I think you might consider iodizing the salt a simple step helping to rectify part of the problem.

And it is not salt that causes high blood pressure.

A lower intake of salt helps to bring down blood presure, that is all.

My point is rather simple: correct the problem of iodine deficiency. This is such a cheap and easy problem to fix. My concern is that somehow this will cure other problems plaguing the learning situation in Thailand. Thank you for the correction on the blood pressure issue--I believe you are correct.

If they add it to fish sauce and other salted foods, then there is a very good chance they will cover a much wider % of the population.

I have often wondered about the tests used to determine IQ. They are generally corrected for culture and the better tests cover much more than basic knowledge.

My experience in the mountains at the burmese border where I work in a Buddhist Wat as jungle doctor.

Water in the mountains doesn`t have enough iodine, in Germany in the Black forest (my home place before) we had the same problem, but we had Heidegger.

To connect the deficiency of iodine to a low IQ is not a 100% scientifically statement. MSG, palm oil, sugar, junk food are more important factors.