Bel-aire Princess - Is It Ok?

TheFiend

Booked a room at the Bel-Aire Princess for 6 nights in September. Just wondering if anybody has any comments on it? Good or bad?

I am coming to Thailand for 13 days, but waiting till I am in Bangkok before deciding where to go after Bangkok.

Booked a room at the Bel-Aire Princess for 6 nights in September. Just wondering if anybody has any comments on it?  Good or bad?

I am coming to Thailand for 13 days, but waiting till I am in Bangkok before deciding where to go after Bangkok.

I've been there many times in the past - good value for money (about 1,800 to 2,000 per night). Good big rooms and bathroom, with breakfast. The only problem is its location - down near the end of soi 5. It simply not a nice walk in that area. But apart from that, excellent choice.

The other hotel that was my other favourite is the Windsor Suites in soi 22. Same price, but beautiful foyer - just don't get a room that overlooks the foyer - phones start ringing at 7 am when there's no-one there. :o

... I do not think the walk to/from Sukhumwit road is bad at all.

Andrew

I was thinking about the types of people who hang around that area. I preferred the walk to soi 13 after I got my apartment - especially at 2 am with all the street bars open, and the "people-watching" entertainment :o .

If pics correct......velly nice. :D

The Bel-Aire Bangkok is truly Bangkok’s most chic and stylish hotel, with an all-encompassing emphasis on providing the best possible service. Please, take your time to view our website and we look forward to welcoming you soon

have a look... :o

http://www.r24.org/hotels.thaivisa.com/ban...laire/pictures/

also....

The elegant Windsor Suites in Bangkok Features a total of 460 suites which include 52 Diplomat suites, 328 Counselor suites, 71 Minister suites, 8 Excellency suites and one extravagant Presidential Suite.

http://www.r24.org/hotels.thaivisa.com/ban...ndsor/pictures/

great hotel. stayed many times

the first time stayed for 2 days then asked for an extention, but they were fully booked, so we went over and booked in at the grace what a mistake :o . but it makes you aware of the benifits of staying in hotels of the bel-air status :

Thanks for the links, Rinrada, - happy memories (except for one night in the Windsor Suites when my ex and a girl friend came banging on my door while I was otherwise engaged :D . Sorry about the carpet, Windsor Suites, I think I got most of the glass out :D:o .)

The Bel-Aire looks - and is - quite small in the reception area, whereas the Windsor Suites has a huge atrium - really impressive. It's quite a walk from the main door to the reception desk inside the atrium that must be 3 or 4 storeys high. But, as I said, make sure your room is not one that has a window onto the atrium - it may be interesting looking down at the people coming and going, but that damned telephone at 7 am is no fun! :D

So the general consencus is it a good place :D

YES! It's very good - in my top two hotels for Sukh soi 4 access. Just get a taxi home at night :D .

Great hotel stayed many, many times.

Agree with RDN about Soi 5 at night. Almost got mugged there one night and would have been but for a passing Aussie of large dimensions! :D ! :o

YES! It's very good - in my top two hotels for Sukh soi 4 access. Just get a taxi home at night :D .

Agree with RDN about Soi 5 at night. Almost got mugged there one night and would have been but for a passing Aussie of large dimensions! :D ! :o

I believe Torny visits bkk quite often :D

Back in 1997 I stayed at the Bel Aire and they were charging around 1500 per night. The place is ok for BKK but they are trying to act like a very upscale hotel when they are not. The furniture is old and the remote control thing they have by the bed is terrible and doesn't work very well. It's terrible for changing the television.

If I am going to spend around 2000 per night for a hotel, I would just pay a bit more and stay at the Rembrandt Hotel which is very nice for BKK and has a great breakfast buffet. Just my opinion. :o

I agree to an extent about the hangers on down at the mouth of the soi. Not the most pleasant bunch but harmless enough.

With the arrival of Gullivers Soi 5, the bars in the 'tunnel', and the open bar at the food centre on the corner (one of BKKs best people watching spots IMHO) Soi 5 has a bit going for it now.

Back in 1997 I stayed at the Bel Aire and they were charging around 1500 per night.  The place is ok for BKK but they are trying to act like a very upscale hotel when they are not.  The furniture is old and the remote control thing they have by the bed is terrible and doesn't work very well.  It's terrible for changing the television. 

If I am going to spend around 2000 per night for a hotel, I would just pay a bit more and stay at the Rembrandt Hotel which is very nice for BKK and has a great breakfast buffet.  Just my opinion. :D

The Bel-Aire has been completely renovated over the last 18 months or so.

IMHO it is a class above The Rembrandt! :o !

The Bel-Aire has been completely renovated over the last 18 months or so.

IMHO it is a class above The Rembrandt! :o !

Well like I said, I haven't been there in some time. Perhaps you are right. Is the breakfast better than the Rembrandt too?

The lobby has been modernised and does not look so gruffy anymore.

The pool is full, most of the time, which stands in line with the hotel often to be fully booked.

OK, good value for money. In general my visitors have been happy with the room-size.

Traffic sometimes can be a problem, as you have to drive through Soi 7 to Sukhumvit from where it is difficult to reach the left side of Sukh. You might face a back-up all the way to Soi 5 as well during rush hour.

Is this true on the mugging part? My brorther is in BKK for a night before flying to CM foe my wedding. Him and his mate are staying there. I hope they wont try to mug him. Because he does Tukido and was the British junior champion. But is the hotel nice and clean etc?

Booked a room at the Bel-Aire Princess for 6 nights in September. Just wondering if anybody has any comments on it?  Good or bad?

I've been there many times in the past - good value for money (about 1,800 to 2,000 per night). Good big rooms and bathroom, with breakfast. The only problem is its location - down near the end of soi 5. It simply not a nice walk in that area. But apart from that, excellent choice.

The other hotel that was my other favourite is the Windsor Suites in soi 22. Same price, but beautiful foyer - just don't get a room that overlooks the foyer - phones start ringing at 7 am when there's no-one there. :o

I take offense to that. I live right next to the bel-aire princess and love walking around my neighborhood. I wouldn't live anywhere else. As for soi 22, who in their right mind wants to stay over there where you got to cab it down here where the action is

... I do not think the walk to/from Sukhumwit road is bad at all.

Andrew

I was thinking about the types of people who hang around that area. I preferred the walk to soi 13 after I got my apartment - especially at 2 am with all the street bars open, and the "people-watching" entertainment :o .

just what "type" of ppl you talking about? I lived on soi 13 as well and prefer it on soi 5

that's the biggest load of crap i ever heard about. I walk there 365 night/year and never ever even a hint of a problem. that's laughable. how do you "almost" get mugged anyway?

Is this true on the mugging part? My brorther is in BKK for a night before flying to CM foe my wedding. Him and his mate are staying there. I hope they wont try to mug him. Because he does Tukido and was the British junior champion....

I, on the contrary, hope they do try. :o

The other hotel that was my other favourite is the Windsor Suites in soi 22. Same price, but beautiful foyer - just don't get a room that overlooks the foyer - phones start ringing at 7 am when there's no-one there. :D

I too will say the windsor suites has very nice rooms.

But shame about the staff. They tried to charge my wife 1000 baht when she went out without me then came back a couple of hours later and the staff didnt recognise her. The other really BAD thing about the staff is some of them are racist. They made some very racist comments to one of my friends who is half African. The comments were made by the pool staff and went along the lines of him dirtying the water by swimming in it, i went to complain to management and the did NOTHING :o

I take offense to that. I live right next to the bel-aire princess and love walking around my neighborhood. I wouldn't live anywhere else. As for soi 22, who in their right mind wants to stay over there where you got to cab it down here where the action is

How can you be offended by me not liking the people who hang around the end of soi 5 - the people outside Foodland, the men with pictures: "Want massage?", etc. Do you think just because you live there it must be perfect?

How can you be offended by me not liking the people who hang around the end of soi 5 - the people outside Foodland, the men with pictures: "Want massage?", etc.  Do you think just because you live there it must be perfect?

Now that's interesting. I thought Foodland is at the beginning of the soi, Bel-Aire Princess and Royal Benja-hotels are at the end of soi 5. :o

LOL, hey you're a real comedian. like those touts are only located in front of foodland. in fact, they are never in front of foodland but they are situated up and down Sukhumvit. you're really a card

How can you be offended by me not liking the people who hang around the end of soi 5 - the people outside Foodland, the men with pictures: "Want massage?", etc. Do you think just because you live there it must be perfect?

LOL, hey you're a real comedian. like those touts are only located in front of foodland. in fact, they are never in front of foodland but they are situated up and down Sukhumvit. you're really a card incl. your beloved Soi 13

How can you be offended by me not liking the people who hang around the end of soi 5 - the people outside Foodland, the men with pictures: "Want massage?", etc.  Do you think just because you live there it must be perfect?

Now that's interesting. I thought Foodland is at the beginning of the soi, Bel-Aire Princess and Royal Benja-hotels are at the end of soi 5. :o

Bingo Axel

that's the biggest load of crap i ever heard about. I walk there 365 night/year and never ever even a hint of a problem. that's laughable. how do you "almost" get mugged anyway?

Well Dude it wasn't laughable to me! :D !

You almost get mugged when 2 Thai guys approach you and ask for money in a threatening manner! :D !

As I said if the Aussie hadn't been coming down the Soi and intervened I would have been mugged!

Just because things don't happen to you doesn't mean thay don't happen... :D

Not sure why you think I would lie about it? :D ?

National language differences? I meant the Foodland end. To me "end" can mean either end - Sukhumvit road end or the far end. I still don't like walking down there, although the opening of Gullivers has certainly made that end (pak soi?) not so dark as it was.

National language differences? I meant the Foodland end. To me "end" can mean either end - Sukhumvit road end or the far end. I still don't like walking down there, although the opening of Gullivers has certainly made that end (pak soi?) not so dark as it was.

I adore walking down there. It's one of my fav places to take a 4am stroll

OK, OK, there is the Sukhumvit end where the Soi starts, the foodland end where the Gulliver's starts on the opposite side and the far end where the hotels like Belair are located.

Never mind, from the Foodland to the Belaire Princess it takes about 1-2 hours, as I stop for beer or two at Gulliver's or The Stable (?) on the back-end of The Grace-Hotel. :o