Good English Breakfast

kenny999

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off shore bar.. Nanai Rd.. Gutbuster and add black pudding.

Proper heart attack on a plate.. Thick cut danish bacon..

Yes I know that place went past there this morning but it was closed, will give it a try later in the week.

Cheers

A good breakfast in Patong is at the Tavern on the Hill on Haa Sip Pee Road. Excellent location too. http://phuketdir.com/tavernonthehill/

Thought this place had closed? For sure there was a FOR SALE sign outside last time I passed.

I thought Dave, the owner, passed on a while ago & was being run by his brother?? It was a very good breakfast with great views. His Xmas dinner was also very good.

Perhaps this topic should be merged with the best breakfast in Rawai & renamed "Best breakfast in Phuket" as most are interested in English breakfast anyway although I would also like recommendations on good buffet breakfasts similar or better than The Marriot in Bangkok.

Every ones idea of a good english breakfast is different, My recommendation is cook one youtself

it would be

2 English Pork Sausages

2 English Back Bacon

Baked Beans

1 Hash Brown

Friend Bread ( not soggy )

Tinned Tomatos

Off shore bar.. Nanai Rd.. Gutbuster and add black pudding.

Proper heart attack on a plate.. Thick cut danish bacon..

Yes I know that place went past there this morning but it was closed, will give it a try later in the week.

Cheers

Offshore still closed at 13.00 today. Seems like the new Italian owner is having some problems ...

Offshore still closed at 13.00 today. Seems like the new Italian owner is having some problems ...

It takes a while to master cooking that shit, the poms have taken centuries to develop a cuisine so rank. That diet probably explains their outstanding athletic ability. :whistling:

I work around Karon and go to the Coffee Pot now and then if I need a breakfast, or in high season Steve at Pineapple guesthouse runs a cafe with a good brekkie. I have heard you can get a good one at Angus O'Tooles.

Mind you, I am happy with a coffee and some Pa Tong Ko :)

Can't beat The Islander in Soi Patong Resort, Patong. Best English food in Phuket.

Dunno about that Islander was OK but too much success and it rested on its laurels..

Got served slop in there a few times and stopped going. Not sure if it improved after tho.

Dunno about that Islander was OK but too much success and it rested on its laurels..

Got served slop in there a few times and stopped going. Not sure if it improved after tho.

First tried the Islander almost 14 years back. Thought the service terrible and the food so-so. Tried again many times over the years as so many people rate it highly. My initial opinion still stands to this day.

I work around Karon and go to the Coffee Pot now and then if I need a breakfast, or in high season Steve at Pineapple guesthouse runs a cafe with a good brekkie. I have heard you can get a good one at Angus O'Tooles.

Mind you, I am happy with a coffee and some Pa Tong Ko :)

I second the Coffee Pot, good breakfast, Aussie style. For many years the Karon Cafe had been my regular breakfast point, but seems to have gone downhill this past year or so (and no nearby parking). Now I go to the Coffee Pot. Kata main road just past the traffic lights and before the PTT gas station.

Every ones idea of a good english breakfast is different, My recommendation is cook one youtself

it would be

2 English Pork Sausages

2 English Back Bacon

Baked Beans

1 Hash Brown

Friend Bread ( not soggy )

Tinned Tomatos

The English breakfast I helped introduce at my last place of work was as follows:

Cumberland sausages,scrambled eggs,streaky and back bacon,Stornoway black pudding, fried mushrooms, baked tomatoes, lamb's kidneys,fried bread, bubble and squeak , and baked beans. Now that IS an English breakfast ! (except for the stornoway bp, but it's simply the finest quality)

First tried the Islander almost 14 years back. Thought the service terrible and the food so-so. Tried again many times over the years as so many people rate it highly. My initial opinion still stands to this day.

You're not alone in your views. I was a regular at The Islander 10+ years ago as it was kind of the default place to go to just off Bangla back then if you wanted reasonable Western grub with no fuss. Personally, I generally found the food and service ok but what started to annoy me was the fact that, despite number of times I frequented the place over a period of several years, the owner never once acknowledged me (even a nod in my direction as I entered or left would have sufficed). To make it worse, there was a table named "The Table of Knowledge" (or something equally ridiculous) which was pernanently reserved for him and his cronies.

Have only been in occasionally in the past couple of years and 'rested on its laurels' seems quite an apt description.

Can't beat The Islander in Soi Patong Resort, Patong. Best English food in Phuket.

Went there this morning after reading this thread. Best English breakfast I ever had in Thailand, or anywhere else for that matter. Thanks for the tip :-)

Went there this morning after reading this thread. Best English breakfast I ever had in Thailand, or anywhere else for that matter. Thanks for the tip :-)

Can you give directions as to where the Islander is I know Patong well but have not

seen Soi Patong resort, not that it matters but how much for the breakfast..

Can you give directions as to where the Islander is I know Patong well but have not

seen Soi Patong resort, not that it matters but how much for the breakfast..

About half way up Bangla, right side, Soi Patong Resort, opposite Soi Sea Dragon. Islander more than half way along this side road on the left side.

As much as it pains me, I too have to concur. Driven by an almost psychotic need for spuds after 3 days of Somchai fayre, I tried this joint as the menu promised a good feed of fawang nosh. Boy, was I disappointed. The staff? I’ve seen more smiling faces from the immigration staff at Swampy. When the grub turned up I’d thought I’d been given a child’s portion and the amount of salt used was probably near a fatal dose. Soggy veg and equally soggy stuffing bought back bad memories of school dinners, and the worst thing is that I left the place still hungry and several baht lighter....mmmm...now, where’s that pizza place?...:unsure:

Not tried the Offshore since the new owner took over so hope it has improved as prior to him it had gone downhill bigtime...the sausage was inedible and the coffee rank.

Montes Bar and Restaurant for me on Pisitkoranee Road bottom of 50 Pee Hill.

From what I hear the Offshore has gone even further downhill since the new guy bought it a few months ago. Hardly ever open in the mornings these days when I pass there each day. Pity really as it has great potential for the Nanai locals and regulars.

Offshore had a fall out with the 'sausage guy' under old owners and Luigi went back to that once he was in there.. Plus hes got a proper boncafe machine in there now for fresh ground coffee not the nescafe junk..

Not had one in a long time but I always thought it was the best in town. Mushrooms, fried taters, black pudding, good size etc. I couldnt face one as a breakfast, you need to be proper hungry.

However I popped by to check on the reports of it not being open and was the same, Louie is back to the UK for a week or so, and the staff are opening late a couple of days a week. Am told thats a low season thing thats due to stop soon but details hazy without Louie confirming it.

Not tried the Offshore since the new owner took over so hope it has improved as prior to him it had gone downhill bigtime...the sausage was inedible and the coffee rank.

Montes Bar and Restaurant for me on Pisitkoranee Road bottom of 50 Pee Hill.

From what I hear the Offshore has gone even further downhill since the new guy bought it a few months ago. Hardly ever open in the mornings these days when I pass there each day. Pity really as it has great potential for the Nanai locals and regulars.

Been away for a while but it seems like theres some Nanai Rd sewing circle politics at play, combined with a lot of regulars currently posted offshore.. So its been quiet when I went past a few times this last week. Its been a good hangout bar for expats for years, been going there since it was white plastic table and chairs and you self served from a cooler in the corner. Think I have seen it under 4 different owner setups now and wish the new one the best.

In fact remember meeting you in there when you wanted F1 on.. Going back a few years now.

As much as it pains me, I too have to concur. Driven by an almost psychotic need for spuds after 3 days of Somchai fayre, I tried this joint as the menu promised a good feed of fawang nosh. Boy, was I disappointed. The staff? I’ve seen more smiling faces from the immigration staff at Swampy. When the grub turned up I’d thought I’d been given a child’s portion and the amount of salt used was probably near a fatal dose. Soggy veg and equally soggy stuffing bought back bad memories of school dinners, and the worst thing is that I left the place still hungry and several baht lighter....mmmm...now, where’s that pizza place?...:unsure:

As some may remember, I have been a big fan of the Islander. I haven't been in since April. It's disappointing. I was eating in there regularly but since Dec 09, it changed. I can't put my finger on it. It's a combination of the unsmiling staff, some scuzzy clientele amd a deterioration in food quality. I used to love the garlic & pepper chicken or a red curry for a late breakfast, but no more. :( The "english" breakfast is only English in its blandness. Why bring the toast before the eggs? With the fans going the toast is stone cold by the time the eggs arrive. <deleted> is cumberland sausage and why does it rate such a hefty premium? It tastes the same as the other sausages. The coffee is nescafe swill I think. It's a crime not to get a nice strong cup. I'd gladly pay more for a good cup. The place used to be my little paradise of good food that even my Thai friends liked. Now, it's just like any other place where blandness reigns. Heartbreaking for me.

ps They do seem to have real English sausages whatever those are because I've been there when the fat little Englishman backs his pickup truck down the soi to make a delivery.

Re: Tavern on the Hill. Yes, David passed away some time ago and, yes, it is for sale, but I went there earlier this year and it was very much open. The cook now runs the place for David's brother who is in England. I hadn't been there for years due to it being so dirty and 'run down' but it was much cleaner on my last visit though could still do with a lick of paint. The breakfast was huge and excellent, plus the view from the back makes it well worth a try.

Re: Islander. I used to be a regular patron but like the earlier poster I got tired of always being treated like a tourist with no smiles or acknowledgement from either the staff or the rather taciturn owner. However, I have always found the Western food portions to be very fair and well cooked (ie not salty). I haven't been for about six months so maybe things have changed with the recession.

One other place I used to go to regularly was Fiddy's on Soi San Sabai. The breakfasts there were good and a nice location for people watching but I didn't like that they always had BBC World News quite loud. Stopped me going.