BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sceadugenga

Ebook Library

I'm seriously thinking of buying the new $139 Kindle. Read a review or 5, most recently in BKK Post database. Also on TV CM forum.

Everyone who has one is raving about it. Don't want or need the 3G version, as it doesn't look like LOS will be having 3G anytime soon. Maybe after Burma, is my prediction....:whistling:

About 10,000 free books (copyright expired), the best readability screen-wise, super battery life....

I am a twitch away from dumping the dead tree mode.

I heard Ulysses G is taking out contracts on people expounding this sort of heresy.

The free books are just that Macca. They are available for download on a number of sites.

I have an iRiver Story, which is very easy to read but more than twice the price of the Kindle. (My Mum bought it for me :rolleyes: ).

You'll have to apply to join our knightly order. It's pretty exclusive though. :whistling:

Edit: You'll get 3G when Thaksin comes back.

I'll be in the Rai for a couple of weeks and have a mint Sony PRS-300 in leather case that I no longer use.

Drop us a line if ur interested.

I believe there is a pub in Suk Soi 22 that does an informal swap of foreign books etc. including ebooks, drop in for a beer, give a few books, get a few books. But obviously can't mention it here by name. After the beep.....

I enjoy reading and have a small eBook collection going on if people are interested!? Got fed up with trying to find decent 'real' books over here, so decided to invest....

I've got a BeBook Neo which uses Adobe Digital Editions, so all of my eBooks are in 'epub' format (i.e. not compatible with a Kindle). Anyway, PM me if you want a list of what I have available?

Cheers,

Mike

Picked up Steig Larsson's Millennium Trilogy today, courtesy of Knight of the eBook Grandmaster Sir lannaman, who never knew he had them. :rolleyes:

Anyone wants them give me a PM. They are in epub format. Probably better to include an email address for ease of sending.

These are the best written thrillers I've read. Real "can't put down" stuff.

Picked up Steig Larsson's Millennium Trilogy today, courtesy of Knight of the eBook Grandmaster Sir lannaman, who never knew he had them. :rolleyes:

Anyone wants them give me a PM. They are in epub format. Probably better to include an email address for ease of sending.

These are the best written thrillers I've read. Real "can't put down" stuff.

G'day Scea

Haven't read the books but have just picked up The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo on dvd.

Will give it a try shortly and maybe post a review.

Regards

Will

I'm afraid to watch the movies, it's not a good idea to read the book first.

I pretty well spoiled The GodFather" by reading the book first, but enjoyed both the book and the movie of "No Country For Old Men" by doing it the other way round.

Plus I've got a mental picture of the girl in TGWTDT that I suspect no actress could do justice to. :(

Edit: ... still if your planning on giving the movie away... B)

For all you people interested in free e-books, this is a good site. Ii has over 30,000+ free books and is, I think Kindle friendly.

www.gutenberg.org

Chang35baht, :wai:

Project Gutenberg site only contains books whose copyright has expired.

Nevertheless, there are some great old classics to be had - stuff by Edgar Alan Poe, Oscar Wilde etc.

Some of folks here who read may be interested in this. Note: Only for the adventurous:

"The Nook Color, which was designed mainly for reading books and magazines, is about half the size of an iPad or a Xoom. It weighs about 30% less. It runs on WiFi, but not 3G. It has an absolutely superb screen. And, once you've unlocked the software, it runs many Android applications, from email to news readers TweetDeck to, yes, Angry Birds.

It even, ironically, runs the Kindle app from Barnes & Noble's rival Amazon.com. So I can now use my Nook Color to read Kindle books.

Be aware that you perform this software hack entirely at your own risk. Barnes & Noble says it invalidates your warranty. The process ran smoothly for me, but when I read the Internet chat rooms, I found at least a few people had had problems. If it goes wrong, you're on your own."

Full Article

Some of folks here who read may be interested in this. Note: Only for the adventurous:

"The Nook Color, which was designed mainly for reading books and magazines, is about half the size of an iPad or a Xoom. It weighs about 30% less. It runs on WiFi, but not 3G. It has an absolutely superb screen. And, once you've unlocked the software, it runs many Android applications, from email to news readers TweetDeck to, yes, Angry Birds.

It even, ironically, runs the Kindle app from Barnes & Noble's rival Amazon.com. So I can now use my Nook Color to read Kindle books.

Be aware that you perform this software hack entirely at your own risk. Barnes & Noble says it invalidates your warranty. The process ran smoothly for me, but when I read the Internet chat rooms, I found at least a few people had had problems. If it goes wrong, you're on your own."

Full Article

Thanks for that mate.

I was going to order the Kindle but now I think I'll go for the Nook Color.

Regards

Will

Full Article

Thanks for that mate.

Regards

Will

@Will -If you buy one, and try unlocking it .. be sure and tell us how it worked out. This sounds like a nice product.

Full Article

Thanks for that mate.

Regards

Will

@Will -If you buy one, and try unlocking it .. be sure and tell us how it worked out. This sounds like a nice product.

Mate

I wouldn't unlock or "root" it as they say. I'm not technically savvy enough

for that and wouldn't need the extra features.

After reading your article and researching it a bit, it sounds like it's a nice

bit of gear.

[email protected] don't ship to Thailand so am looking at a company called "shipito".

Thanks again.

Will

I've been reading about laptop/notebooks with 24 hour battery life, these would be a viable alternative to eBook readers giving travellers other options.

http://apcmag.com/hp...or_notebook.htm

The reviewer sounds a bit sceptical.

The Nook and Nook Colour have a battery life of about 8 hours

The Kindle 3 can run for about 24 hours

My Samsung netbook can do about 7 hours, so nobody is a winner so far.