Ebook Library

sceadugenga

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always had in the back of my mind that I would like an e-reader of some kind. Today two things have happened to push me a little nearer the actual purchase. You've started this thread and, shortly after reading it for the first time, I got on the bus and someone was reading one.

Which one have you got? Amazon are pushing their new Kindle and it's £109 (THB 5,200)

Any experience with that brand?

I'm not sure if you'll be interested in this but I've got a pdf e-book about sak yant tattoos you can d/load it if you like :)

It was too big a file to upload here on TV so I've upped it to my mediafire account http://www.mediafire...7kie5fr11vbgd09

Cheers,

Biff

Glad somebody posted on e-books.

As I like reading, eventually will have to buy one.

The latest (I believe) would be Amazon's Kindle 3 or DX both working Internationally. Price range $189 - $359 USD.

Any alternatives? Please come in and share your knowledge. Thanks.:)

Isnt the Amazon Kindle without colors? I like to read my ebooks and magazines in color, so what is my option? I dont want an ipad because its lack of compatibility withother devices, like missing USB port etc.

There's a lot of eReaders available now,

http://ebook-reader-review.toptenreviews.com/

I have an iRiver Story which I'm having the occasional problem with it but it's mainly inexperience and limited geek skills on my behalf.

Once you want color and lots of pictures you want something like an iPad, the storage in an eBook reader just isn't sufficient, unless you start carrying around an external storage which sort of defeats the purpose. I'm a bit of a comics buff which have the same problem, a complete Modesty Blaise series download was about 1.5gb.

The beauty of the readers is the huge battery life, we're talking days rather than hours here, laptops and iPads just can't compete.

I've spent a bit of time playing with formats, once again I'm a bit... :huh:

There's a program called Calibre

http://calibre-ebook.com/

which I've been using.

There's still a lot of work to be done with eBooks, remember that the original book has to be scanned, then what is literally a photo of the pages has to be converted into a readable format. Some of the ebooks from torrent sites are full of errors.

Just to get me started on the whole ebook thing, I downloaded 'kindle for PC' from the amazon site. I know it's not the same reading from a computer screen but I'm d/loading lots of free books to see how it all works. They arrive within 60 seconds of clicking 'purchase' (they're free so the cost is marked £0.00)

Looks good so far.

Thanks for this thread it's got me started on something new :)

Just to get me started on the whole ebook thing, I downloaded 'kindle for PC' from the amazon site. I know it's not the same reading from a computer screen but I'm d/loading lots of free books to see how it all works. They arrive within 60 seconds of clicking 'purchase' (they're free so the cost is marked £0.00)

Looks good so far.

Thanks for this thread it's got me started on something new :)

Amazon has free books?

Thanks, I'll get onto that.

There's still a lot of work to be done with eBooks, remember that the original book has to be scanned, then what is literally a photo of the pages has to be converted into a readable format. Some of the ebooks from torrent sites are full of errors.

I do not complete agre with you SD, Most of the books are already in a kind of printable way on a disk. That is the way it works right now. Only the handwritten and very old ones put together letter by letter have to be scanned.

But I agree with you.. it is a wonderful way of reading although I still don't have an E-reader. I have to do it with my notebook. Main reason is the price.

I advise all people interested in purchasing an eBook reader to to a net search for independent reviews.

I've heard Kindle doesn't like downloading books from non Amazon sites.

cmjantje I'll admit I guessed to a certain degree at how they are put together. I'd imagine that later editions are copied from a disk. I thought what I did because some books I have read are almost hard to read due to errors that seem to me to be caused by problems with the computer reading them. For instance it could read 2 "r"s as "m" turning "sorry" into "somy", then further down the page it is correct.

When I read them on the computer I used to correct them as I went, because they were in Microsoft Word, but not sure if it can be done on a reader.

You want to watch some of those "books", they may be other files as well.

.rar is a compressed file of some kind usually used for music.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=337551

I use utorrent to download, before you start downloading it produces a list of all the files in the download with the option of choosing whether or not to download them.

With 8000 books there has to be one or two you don't want. B)

You want to watch some of those "books", they may be other files as well.

.rar is a compressed file of some kind usually used for music.

http://answers.googl...dview?id=337551

I use utorrent to download, before you start downloading it produces a list of all the files in the download with the option of choosing whether or not to download them.

With 8000 books there has to be one or two you don't want. B)

it just said 8-9000 e books and I would have to open another site to read which books are in the download [big list] but it was a pay site that i didnt have access to

OK, ladies and gents...just a gentle reminder.

Forum rules allow discussing things such as bit torrents in the technical aspect. As in: "what is a bit torrent".

Discussion of actual downloads via bit torrents, which may or may not contravene Thai and international copyright law, are verboten.

Thai Visa has to protect itself from the copyright police just like everyone else.

Please keep this in mind.

As an addendum to the above....before all of you who had your posts deleted start to froth at the mouth.:ph34r:

You all used nested quotes. As in, you quoted the member who specifically refered to the downloads he did off of piratebay or kickass or wherever.

Had you not quoted this member's post in your reply, your post would not have been deleted....and for that I apologise.:jap:

Please refer to the forum rules regarding mention of copyright infringement before posting further on this topic, and thank you for your understanding.

I just ordered a kindle but not sure how the e books works. if I download the free books how do i get them onto the kindle? what and how should i be doing this

thanks in advance

If you order free books from the amazon site they will be sent to your Kindle directly in a few seconds (assuming you've got it connected to the web, I believe it connects to your network wirelessly)

If you have downloaded other types of files you might find this site helpful http://kindleformatting.com/formatting.php

It tells you how to convert .doc files for your kindle.

I haven't done it myself, haven't got one (yet) but there must be a way.

Also, if they're .pdf files then I believe you can load them onto your kindle via the usb cable.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on :)

Not an e-book .. but something to think about.

Posted by Gary A over in the computer forum several months ago.

Makes a lot of sense for some situations.

When I bought my Garmin Nuvi 750, I received a coupon from Audible Books. They gave me two free books to try it out. I signed up for the club after trying it out. The cost is $22.95 a month for two books per month. I play a book when I am driving to kill the boredom. The Nuvi has an FM transmitter as well as an audio jack. The book downloads are slick and fast. They are much more compressed than MP3 and the sound is great. I have since learned that Audible supports many different devices. I now have a number of books on my Creative Zen and my Nokia phone as well as the Nuvi. Having these books will make a long flight easier to take. It takes about 15 hours to play a typical book and there are thousands of choices.

Audible

Chiang Rai Knights of the E-Book.

Inaugural meeting.

Present: Sir lannaman, Sir sceadugenga, sceadugenga’s dog. (A varlet).

Sceadugenga moved the meeting start an hour early, carried unanimously.

Lannaman not having arrived was elected Grand Master for life, vice president for life, secretary for life, treasurer for life and Sergeant-at-arms for life in his absence.

Vote was carried unanimously; rumors that sceadugenga’s dog was bribed with a biscuit are scurrilous lies.

Sceadugenga was elected teaboy and collector of alms and donations by acclamation.

Lannaman arrived, announced by sceadugenga’s dog .

Lannaman, unaware of the honors bestowed upon him, shared e-books with sceadugenga and went on his way rejoicing.

Meeting closed.

Sir Lannaman is indeed honoured by the titles bestowed on him at this morning’s meeting at Chateaux Scea. Sir Sceadugenga extended a hospitable welcome to the pile, however the dog valet was a little hostile to this other knight arriving in his domain, later becoming a little more respectful.

Many books and movies were exchanged at the meeting; Sir Lannaman giving a lot less than he received. In view of this I propose that Sir Lannaman relinquishes the title of Grand Master in favour of Sir Sceadugenga. Sir L also proposes that other ebookers gather together for another exchange meeting in the near future.

Life means life, GrandMaster. :lol:

Little confusion in Knightly terminology as well.

var·let (värlt)

n.

1. An attendant or servant.

2. A knight's page.

3. A rascal; a knave.

val·et (vlt, vl, v-l)

n.

1. A man's male servant, who takes care of his clothes and performs other personal services.

2. An employee, as in a hotel or on a ship, who performs personal services for guests or passengers.

var·let (värlt)

n.

2. A knight's page.

3. A rascal; a knave.

val·et (vlt, vl, v-l)

n.

1. A man's male servant, who takes care of his clothes and performs other personal services.

2. An employee, as in a hotel or on a ship, who performs personal services for guests or passengers.

If you are following "Roberts Rules of Order" I would call for a question on wether four legged varets can constitute a quorum. .

var·let (värlt)

n.

2. A knight's page.

3. A rascal; a knave.

val·et (vlt, vl, v-l)

n.

If you are following "Roberts Rules of Order" I would call for a question on wether four legged varets can constitute a quorum. .

Thanks for the lesson Sir S :o . That dog's a varlet = a rascal

var·let (värlt)

n.

2. A knight's page.

3. A rascal; a knave.

val·et (vlt, vl, v-l)

n.

Thanks for the lesson Sir S :o . That dog's a varlet = a rascal

Whoops! My typing missed the "l". I am well aquainted with varlets although that is not the term I usually use, because they wouldn't know what it meant.B) On second thought, maybe I should use it more.:D

Archived