Pot Luck

scorpio1945

Has anyone ever tried a "pot luck" get together around here. I know there are SO many great places to eat around here and picking up a dish at the local markets is so easy But yesterday I had one of Kds awesome BBQ sandwiches and he seemed to like my deviled eggs. We all occasionally have a need to cook one of our home countries comfort foods, if we can find the ingrediants. This format places no large burden on anyone. Everyone brings a large dish but does not have to worry about how many people are coming. The beer, wine, etc. group BYOB. The get together could be at a park or home. Everyone could bring enough plastic forks plates for themselves plus a little.

No big burden on anyone, no need to RSVP and you might get a taste of home. I would love to see what our european and Oz members might come up with.

Food for thought. No pun intended.:whistling:

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I think it's a great idea !

To add to it , why not make it a tour type of pot luck.

That is - hosting from the fringes.

example;

I'm about 15 km. s/e of Chiang Saen.and would host if enough people would be interested in visiting a lovely rural farm village for a great social afternoon.

Also the 40 sociable

pigs love being scratched and given attention.

No there is no smell at the house as these pigs are well for.

Marc g.

I was rather surprised and a bit disappointed as well. I chalked it up to a reluctance to mix. Hope I was wrong. It would seem to be an ideal Sunday brunch type event. Minimal effort and a lot of flexibility. Would not put much burden on host. No waste. If you make too much, take it home. If you did not make enough, you had a culinary hit. Did not get any PM on why there was little interest.:whistling:

Maybe the American term pot luck was too obscure.:jap:

As with most pots Scorpio, you must stir from time to time. Things here take a little more persistence and someone to take the lead. Even then it may need to wait for the right time. Just keep at it. It might be necessary to add some non-TV'ers into the mix as well.

As with most pots Scorpio, you must stir from time to time. Things here take a little more persistence and someone to take the lead. Even then it may need to wait for the right time. Just keep at it. It might be necessary to add some non-TV'ers into the mix as well.

Never intended to let it completely die. Was going to resurrect it after a month but got distracted. Thanks for the memory jog, Memories of your ladies pastries, Scea's toad in the hole and other foods brought up on TV kept it in the back of my mind. Might even want a small taste of Vegemite or Oxo.

Marcgee's idea of a rotating venue was my original hope. If there is enough interest it might be best to shoot for a central location here in the Rai (suggestions?) for the first one then go on from there.

Somehow involving HHH and Expats would also be a good idea but maybe a little early. Baby steps.

I would like feedback on if our deli and restaurant owners would like to join in for the good will and felowship or BAD idea.

Will let it ferment a little longer for some additional input and see if it reaches a critical mass. :jap:

I wouldn't mind starting it, though I'm not a Hasher or an Expat member.

I do live pretty central( near Big C).

However, with holidays and a birthday coming up, I wouldn't be able to do until November.

Over to ye all.

Edited by dindong

Towards the end of the month I might could host a pot-luck get-together at my

Place near the new airport. It would have to be oriented to children, and not to drinking, though. I'm not interested in HHH.

The village, as is usual, has tables, chairs and awning thing for funerals, weddings, etc, and arrangements would need to be made for that. It would be important, also, to have a good idea in advance who would come.

We have 3.5 rai, a fenced off fish pond, banana grove and guest house, but weekend mornings my wife is taking driving lessons until noon. I’ve concerns about parking (a close neighbor had a party and things got pretty tight), and am hardly set up to play DJ or anything like that. My son isn’t yet 3, my wife’s 7 year old young brother is up in the hills until school restarts… some local friends might come with their kids, of a variety of ages, but in all, I think this not as simple as may have originally been thought.

I am encouraged that there have been three members who have volunteered their homes for this idea. This makes me think it is possible to do. I think though that the first try should be at a neutral site to give it a test drive to work out the kinks. Is their such a thing as a park like setting with cover and tables that we could try it out or am I thinking to much like the US.

I am a little confused about the comments about the Expats and HHH. They do not have anything to do with it at this point other than the fact that many TV members are members of one or both of those organizations.

I don't know all the commenter's nationality but I hope it gathers a more international feel. That is what could really make it work.:jap:

More input please!

Edited by scorpio1945

"a neutral site" might be a good idea - except for the possibility of rain, need for tables and chairs for

at least some (I certainly prefer them),

and, well, that I can't think of any!

Jubby informed me this morning that HHH here isn't a bunch of roudy alcoholics - didn't know that! :-)

Nor did I realize "Expats" referred to a sort of club (am aware of CM Expats and that there

have been gatherings here).

What brought me around to interest was thinking of the fun kids could have meeting each other and running around.

Then Dad wouldn't have to be the only English language teacher!

I expect parents wouldn't be drinking too much, mothers have a natural tendency to help,

and everybody would have at least one important thin g in common (kids!).

"a neutral site" might be a good idea - except for the possibility of rain, need for tables and chairs for

at least some (I certainly prefer them),

and, well, that I can't think of any!

Jubby informed me this morning that HHH here isn't a bunch of roudy alcoholics - didn't know that! :-)

Nor did I realize "Expats" referred to a sort of club (am aware of CM Expats and that there

have been gatherings here).

What brought me around to interest was thinking of the fun kids could have meeting each other and running around.

Then Dad wouldn't have to be the only English language teacher!

I expect parents wouldn't be drinking too much, mothers have a natural tendency to help,

and everybody would have at least one important thin g in common (kids!).

I think Joels place would be fine. Obviously whoever organises it will need some help the day before. The Kids thing would work for me especially as its schools holidays now. maybe make the 'Kid' optional would work for others ;-)

maybe the ones who don't feel confident enough to cook something could bring some soft drinks or a couple of beers.

I think you'll find joel that the Chiang Rai HHH is quite conservative by Hashing standards. soft drinks outsell beer , its definately a family thing. You should try it. We had CM up a few months ago and most of us are still realling from the experience :D

Let me see if I can be diplomatic about this OR get myself in trouble.

I always envisions this as a family type event so there would be kids coming. I also assume some would chose to bring beer but since it would be an early afternoon event that would be a non issue. BUT my feeling was that the FOCUS would be on INTERNATIONAL FOOD and FELLOWSHIP. If the FOCUS changes to KIDS then this is altogether a different type of thing with its own issues. I would encourage someone else to take the idea and run with it..

Jubby, my thoughts were that those that those that were too busy or non cooks would go to a deli or restaurant that serves their countries food or at least non Thai food and bring it. At first, my thoughts were everyone would bring their own drinks and plastic plates,etc. If it became an ongoing concern then all this could easily change and be dealt with. I wanted to keep it extremely simple at first. Then let it evolve. As I said, baby steps.

Would the moderator change the title of post to CR INTERNATIONAL FOOD GROUP and under comments FORMALLY POT LUCK

Thank You

What!?!? After all 27 of us Googled "potluck"? I don't think sooooooooo. I'm very anxious to sample whatever VF brings from the Meridian.

As Soap would say, "On!, ON!".

great idea about the kids theme and a neutral venue.

May I suggest http://www.travelhub...-fah-luang.html as a possibility.

I don't know if it is open at the moment but it is a very suitable venue.

I think limbo has a contact here and he may be able to inquir if we can use their facilities.

Looks good except for the 200bt (falang) entry fee. :huh:

Looks good except for the 200bt (falang) entry fee. :huh:

Sorry, didn't see that. The last time I was there, there was no charge.

I will try to find out what's the position.

Another location would be Pongsali arboretum, on the highway going to the White temple.

Sure wish more Europeans would express an interest. Really would liven things up and expand the possible menu.

More on the pot-luck concept. Participants would be asked to bring a dish but they are not expected to feed everyone. The dish would be enough to feed themselves, if that was the only thing they ate, plus a little more i.e. their fair share. People are typically generous so there is usually more than enough. The food would be a home country favorite of theirs that they can find the ingredients for. Not looking for haute cuisine but family favorites, usually not calorie counters but no restrictions. People know to take a little of each till everyone has a chance so the dish does not disappear too quick. This is where the parents need to watch the kids. There is always a danger that you could end up with too many of certain type dishes but it is supposed to be a fun eating experience not a serious meal.:rolleyes:

Sure wish more Europeans would express an interest. Really would liven things up and expand the possible menu.

More on the pot-luck concept. Participants would be asked to bring a dish but they are not expected to feed everyone. The dish would be enough to feed themselves, if that was the only thing they ate, plus a little more i.e. their fair share. People are typically generous so there is usually more than enough. The food would be a home country favorite of theirs that they can find the ingredients for. Not looking for haute cuisine but family favorites, usually not calorie counters but no restrictions. People know to take a little of each till everyone has a chance so the dish does not disappear too quick. This is where the parents need to watch the kids. There is always a danger that you could end up with too many of certain type dishes but it is supposed to be a fun eating experience not a serious meal.:rolleyes:

Sounds a nice idea. We're interested

Looking for a date to try this idea out. Seems October 24th and the 31st are possibles but the 24th may conflict with the Music?/ Seven resorts Festival. so maybe the 31st is a better date. Do not see anything else going on. Would give us more time and hopefully more interest. It also happens to be Halloween.. I invite your feedback.

Still looking for a place to hold it. A park like location would seem to be best for the first one but nothing definite found yet.. I even thought of asking Don since his place is closed on Sunday but can not decide if this would be a good idea even if he agreed. There is also the fall back of one of the volunteer hosts. Input?

Dindong - Any update on your MFL idea.

Edited by scorpio1945