Pot Luck

scorpio1945

The food was really good. It is pretty much a nice buffet of the types of dishes we can't get here. We had two types of the au gratin yesterday and both were super. The dessert selections were of course the western style and those are hard to find in CR.

More important than the food though, is the social time. What a relaxed way to spend an afternoon. Nothing pretentious, nobody at odds and everybody seems comfortable meeting new people. Not sure I have ever been part of such a low-key, low-stress meeting. The best thing that comes out of this is seeing different members making friends and making dinner and lunch dates in the for the future. Looks like friends are made and kept.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you one and all, for the warm welcome shown too myself, wife & sister-in-law at our first get to gether. Its nice to meet new people based in CR, If only to nod or pass the time of day if u bump into each other, and it's always nice to swap ideas and experiences of living in CR. Unfortunatly we fly back to the UK on Wednesday, but hopfully we will meet up with you all come November. :jap:

We had some welcome new atendees and 3 couples back that were out with illness or injury last time. It seems hard to believe but the food may have been even better. The Harsu clan out did themselves. Even had two dogs for the first time and although they were mismached in size they were not in temerment.

A few more pics.

post-72121-0-44110600-1298994558_thumb.jpost-72121-0-02681500-1298994567_thumb.jpost-72121-0-76902700-1298994573_thumb.jpost-72121-0-36621500-1298994580_thumb.jpost-72121-0-59526600-1298994585_thumb.jpost-72121-0-59831500-1298994590_thumb.jpost-72121-0-38406900-1298994598_thumb.jpost-72121-0-12141000-1298994605_thumb.jpost-72121-0-64487600-1298994619_thumb.jpost-72121-0-32708800-1298994690_thumb.jpost-72121-0-52864000-1298994695_thumb.jpost-72121-0-79825400-1298994709_thumb.jpost-72121-0-04968300-1298994717_thumb.jpost-72121-0-36576000-1298994723_thumb.jpost-72121-0-34401300-1298994732_thumb.jpost-72121-0-14964300-1298994740_thumb.jpost-72121-0-04122100-1298994747_thumb.jpost-72121-0-85822000-1298994756_thumb.j[]post-72121-0-73501800-1298994796_thumb.jpost-72121-0-96310100-1298994805_thumb.jpost-72121-0-37728400-1298994815_thumb.jpost-72121-0-00513500-1298994823_thumb.jpost-72121-0-43276900-1298994828_thumb.j

post-72121-0-64799700-1298994612_thumb.j

post-72121-0-38010400-1298994703_thumb.j

Edited by scorpio1945

• 3 weeks later...

The sixth CR Pot Luck Picnic will be held at 1:00 PM (note time change) on Sunday, 27 March at the CR Horticultural Research Center.

Directions: Going south on old CM road (Hwy 1211), just past the 5 keystone marker, the entrance is on the right, opposite a large K-Tech sign. As you past the lake, bear left and then take the first right. Proceed west? along this road approx. 2 km to the camping area.

There is lots of seating and three small tables but if you have portable/camping chairs you might want to bring them along. Since we have power, a coffee maker would be useful as well. Music has also been suggested. If you have easily portable umbrellas, this may be a good time to bring, either for sun or rain. Todays forcast for Sunday - 20 C and a chance of rain.

You are welcome to arrive early for a walk or to look around. If you wish to camp overnight, please call 053.170.100 at least three days before.

Like last time, if you are sure or probably coming it might be useful to post what you are bringing to assist others but is is not necessary. Last minute attendees are most welcome.:jap: The only requirement? is that you bring food (home country preferred) and a smile. :) You should bring your own drinks, glasses and plates but there are usually spares if you forget.B)

Edited by scorpio1945

The sixth CR Pot Luck Picnic will be held at 1:00 PM (note time change) on Sunday, 27 March at the CR Horticultural Research Center.

Directions: Going south on old CM road (Hwy 1211), just past the 5 keystone marker, the entrance is on the right, opposite a large K-Tech sign. As you past the lake, bear left and then take the first right. Proceed west? along this road approx. 2 km to the camping area.

There is lots of seating and three small tables but if you have portable/camping chairs you might want to bring them along. Since we have power, a coffee maker would be useful as well. Music has also been suggested. If you have easily portable umbrellas, this may be a good time to bring, either for sun or rain.

You are welcome to arrive early for a walk or to look around. If you wish to camp overnight, please call 053.170.100 at least three days before.

Like last time, if you are sure or probably coming it might be useful to post what you are bringing to assist others but is is not necessary. Last minute attendees are most welcome.:jap: The only requirement? is that you bring food (home country preferred) and a smile. :) You should bring your own drinks, glasses and plates but there are usually spares if you forget.B)

Gonna give it a whirl, i'll be cookin up a chilli con carne to bring with us, also some extra hot stuff for those who like it hot hot hot, i take it there will be some kinda stove to reheat ? :) .

Edited by woralak

There is lots of seating and three small tables but if you have portable/camping chairs you might want to bring them along. Since we have power, a coffee maker would be useful as well. Music has also been suggested. If you have easily portable umbrellas, this may be a good time to bring, either for sun or rain. Todays forcast for Sunday - 20 C and a chance of rain.

We will be bringing an old time favorite if you grew up in middle class America. Ours has some additions that make it very tasty as well as filling. Yes I am speaking of Tuna Fish casserole. Topped with not too much of a friend maker fried onions.

Looking forward to a nice afternoon so see ya there!

Gonna give it a whirl, i'll be cookin up a chilli con carne to bring with us, also some extra hot stuff for those who like it hot hot hot, i take it there will be some kinda stove to reheat ? :) .

I always bring a small portable lpg camping stove that should do in a pinch. Kd can bring a Grill if you requst in advance.:jap:

Up dated weather report. 23 C Partly cloudy and a chance of rain :jap:

I've checked 3 weather sites for Sunday:

Thaivisa weather 26C cloudy

Thai Met Office 33C cool!!!!!

BBC weather 29C hail showers!

So as well as a brollie bring a hand fan and possibly a tin hat!

I'll bake a loaf of banana bread and bring some butter too.

Have just read this thread in its entirety. Im new to TV and the CR forum so Hi to all. Your pot luck gatherings sound fantastic and I wish I could come along tomorrow but unfortuneately have a prior engagement.

Im a bit of a foodie and love trying food from all corners of the globe so I hope there will be another gathering in April that I can attend.

Im a Brit from Liverpool so it goes without say that my first offering would be a big pot of Scouse with buttered barms and red cabbage. Look forward to attending next month.

Cheers.

Steve.

Have just read this thread in its entirety. Im new to TV and the CR forum so Hi to all. Your pot luck gatherings sound fantastic and I wish I could come along tomorrow but unfortuneately have a prior engagement.

Im a bit of a foodie and love trying food from all corners of the globe so I hope there will be another gathering in April that I can attend.

Im a Brit from Liverpool so it goes without say that my first offering would be a big pot of Scouse with buttered barms and red cabbage. Look forward to attending next month.

Cheers.

Steve.

Welcome Steve. I attended my first Pot Luck last month, they're a nice friendly crowd and made me most welcome, as I am sure they will you. Good to have another Brit, I be a Devon boy!

Next month we may be indoors to avoid the heat.

Why am I thinking 'Pot Belly' !? :D

Who's the 'Fat Guy' all in Black ? :D

Disclaimer : Brian your not in Black, just in case you think you are. I can see thats Just Muscle like mine :)

Edited by jubby

Why am I thinking 'Pot Belly' !? :D

Who's the 'Fat Guy' all in Black ? :D

Disclaimer : Brian your not in Black, just in case you think you are. I can see thats Just Muscle like mine :)

The guy in black is our friend VF, who was kind enough to brave some cold mountain winds on his Ninja in order to come visit with us. The guy with the potbelly is just about any of us. At this time in our lives, we have earned it.

Good PL yesterday, as always. A really nice variety of farang style dishes. You know, that once-a-month thing almost satisfies my cravings for farang food until the next PL comes around each month. The dishes presented each time are different but always some great surprises to be found there. And the desserts are always a special treat. Thai desserts always leave me wanting for something sweeter but these desserts hit the spot, every time. For one day each month, all of our little potbellies get full and completely satisfied with the foods we miss and even with some that we didn't know we missed.

EVERYTHING was great yesterday but my favorites were the crumb-cake from Lannaman and the chicken salad from Scorpio and as always, the dessert contribution from the Harsu clan. That crumb cake with a hot cup of coffee after the meal sealed the deal for me. And who knew that Lannaman could bake?

As good as the food is, the company and conversation is equally as satisfying. I don't know where else in CR you could find such a pleasant group gathered in one place. I don't usually chat too much with anyone but I really get a kick out of watching the comfortable conversations taking place. And it is interesting to watch people move, from small group to small group, as everyone makes the rounds and gives equal time to the different members.

For any of you who haven't attended, don't be shy. Any dish, home-made or store-bought, is a welcome contribution. And whether you bring food or not, you will feel welcome. There aren't any insiders or outsiders there. Everyone who arrives is immediately "one of us".

Well, since last Sundays PL picnic was the last "scheduled" one, I would like to invite comment and discussion on what do we do now.

Continue at the same place and hope for the best as far as the weather is concerned?

Change the venue to someone house. We already have a volunteer who is 3 km from town and indicates he has the house, yard and parking to accommodate us.

Find another public location.

Take a hiatus until September? and hope that attendees will keep the idea alive on an invitation basis, according to what their home will accommodate.

Meet at some place like Rimkok's buffet.

Some other idea.

Well, since last Sundays PL picnic was the last "scheduled" one, I would like to invite comment and discussion on what do we do now.

Continue at the same place and hope for the best as far as the weather is concerned?

Change the venue to someone house. We already have a volunteer who is 3 km from town and indicates he has the house, yard and parking to accommodate us.

Find another public location.

Take a hiatus until September? and hope that attendees will keep the idea alive on an invitation basis, according to what their home will accommodate.

Meet at some place like Rimkok's buffet.

Some other idea.

Scorpio, etal.:

Well done. Look forward to joining in at some point.

Bahnhof

post-126485-0-52563000-1301437329_thumb.

I say, let us keep it going, one way or another. I can find a rain-proof site if needed. If others volunteer their homes, that is fine as well. I really don't have enough covered space at my place to host very many folks all at once.

It is only once a month and it is a get together that I really look forward to. Have met some REALLY nice folks because of the potluck and I am sure there are more to meet in the future.

I say, let us keep it going, one way or another. I can find a rain-proof site if needed. If others volunteer their homes, that is fine as well. I really don't have enough covered space at my place to host very many folks all at once.

It is only once a month and it is a get together that I really look forward to. Have met some REALLY nice folks because of the potluck and I am sure there are more to meet in the future.

I'll get there one day, can't let you guys have all the fun. Probably bring the wagon though. I can actually cook when not feeling lazy. You could probably call me half-baked :lol: :jap:

I would like to thank Scorpio for his efforts in starting and keeping this going. A lot of effort and local knowledge went into making this possible and providing one of the best outings available. A lot of great people contribute too but it was Scorpio that got it going.

Edited by harrry