Pot Luck

scorpio1945

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunitly rai Mae Fah Luang is not possible, they are looking for 200 baht a head..

anymore ideas out there???????

How can something costing 200 baht a head make it "not possible" ?

I hope central are not reading this......

Unfortunitly rai Mae Fah Luang is not possible, they are looking for 200 baht a head..

How can something costing 200 baht a head make it "not possible" ?

I hope central are not reading this......

Can you clarify you comment. Confused the heck out of me. "central" what does that mean?

If you were a family with 3 kids would you want to pay 1000 baht to just get in the door to have a picnic type dinner, which in the US, etc. would be in a public park and free

Are you saying you are interested in attending IF it would be held in rai Mae Fah Luang?:ermm:

Hey.!

I dont know if it is an idea-but thinking about that spot,just before the waterfall-nam duk khun goon-its for free and a buityfull place, I think.?

Can you clarify you comment. Confused the heck out of me. "central" what does that mean?

If you were a family with 3 kids would you want to pay 1000 baht to just get in the door to have a picnic type dinner, which in the US, etc. would be in a public park and free

Are you saying you are interested in attending IF it would be held in rai Mae Fah Luang?:ermm:

I am saying (although it shouldn't need to be said) that 200 baht is not a lot of money, and a venue's suitability should surely be more important than its price, which at 200 baht is not exactly prohibitive anyway. There also doesn't appear to be a lot of alternatives, your suggestion of a trip to a US park aside of course.

My "central" (the higher end department store complex coming next year) comment was just sarcasm, as they may have misread the potential for a store in Chiang Rai if this 200 baht being expensive opinion is representative of the majority of farangs here.

Edited by Paul888

I am saying (although it shouldn't need to be said) that 200 baht is not a lot of money, and a venue's suitability should surely be more important than its price, which at 200 baht is not exactly prohibitive anyway. There also doesn't appear to be a lot of alternatives, your suggestion of a trip to a US park aside of course.

My "central" (the higher end department store complex coming next year) comment was just sarcasm, as they may have misread the potential for a store in Chiang Rai if this 200 baht being expensive opinion is representative of the majority of farangs here.

Your sarcasm is noted, though I also fail to see the connection.

Regarding the 200 baht, it is expensive to pay that, just to sit down for an hour or two.

It would personally cost me 800 baht for this priviledge. Instead of the sarcasm why not come up with an alternative idea..............waiting..........

I won't debate that 200bt isn't a lot of money BUT no one, including yourself, indicated they would be predisposed to attend IF it were held at rai MFL. I am sure everyone on here can easily afford it but I also feel it would be an irritant to their attending, on principal if nothing else.:jap:

Edited by scorpio1945

Hey.!

I dont know if it is an idea-but thinking about that spot,just before the waterfall-nam duk khun goon-its for free and a buityfull place, I think.?

I agree it is a beautiful place but I can not remember if it has any suitable place to have a sit down lunch. Not very central either. I need to go back and take a look. Thanks for the input. What do others think.B)

Regarding the 200 baht, it is expensive to pay that, just to sit down for an hour or two.

It would personally cost me 800 baht for this priviledge. Instead of the sarcasm why not come up with an alternative idea..............waiting..........

Well I believe you were the one who suggested that venue, which is actually a BUSINESS, so I am a surprised that you didn't realise that they would want to charge you a fee. Albeit it a small fee.

That part of my post wasn't sarcasm, it was disbelief.

Anyway, that aside, you asked me for alternatives, well these are the options as I see it.

1. You choose a probably unsuitable but FREE venue (maybe in a field somewhere near a waterfall as already suggested). Obviously more vague or more remote the location the less likely people would want to attend.

2. You do it properly and rent a premises or area suitable for such get togethers like your MFL idea (NOTE: They will probably charge you a fee) but that fee is negotiable and I am pretty sure you could just get a fixed fee or have kids for free or some other added value if you asked for it.

3. You try and do it somewhere in conjunction with a local business who might WANT to "sponsor" it like for example these new thai visa advertisers "sausageking" who could use it as a sales opportunity for their product into Chiang Rai or Don.... or both

4. Scorpio as the idea originator hosts it at his house If he doesn't want to then dingdong holds it at his, or somebody else holds it at theirs.

5. or you could give up of course.

Hope this helps. I think number 4 is your best bet personally. Nobody has to pay, and therefore nobody has to feel bad if on the day they find out their wife has made other plans, their kids are sick or they just can't be bothered.

Edited by Paul888

Well I believe you were the one who suggested that venue, which is actually a BUSINESS, so I am a surprised that you didn't realise that they would want to charge you a fee. Albeit it a small fee.

Anyway, that aside, you asked me for alternatives, well these are the options as I see it.

1. You choose a probably unsuitable but FREE venue (maybe in a field somewhere near a waterfall as already suggested). Obviously more vague or more remote the location the less likely people would want to attend.

2. You do it properly and rent a premises or area suitable for such get togethers like your MFL idea (NOTE: They will probably charge you a fee) but that fee is negotiable and I am pretty sure you could just get a fixed fee or have kids for free or some other added value if you asked for it.

3. You try and do it somewhere in conjunction with a local business who might WANT to "sponsor" it like for example these new thai visa advertisers "sausageking" who could use it as a sales opportunity for their product into Chiang Rai or Don.... or both

4. Scorpio as the idea originator hosts it at his house If he doesn't want to then dingdong holds it at his, or somebody else holds it at theirs.

Hope this helps. I think number 4 is your best bet personally. Nobody has to pay, and therefore nobody has to feel bad if on the day they find out their wife has made other plans, their kids are sick or they just can't be bothered.

POST OF THE MONTH PRIZE GOES TO PAUL888. :clap2::clap2::cheesy::thumbsup:

POST OF THE MONTH PRIZE GOES TO PAUL888. :clap2::clap2::cheesy::thumbsup:

Very good post, I agree, but it's only the 15th. Surely one of CR's finest could beat that over the next 16 days, especially now there's a prize on offer. It's been very quiet on here lately but things might liven up a bit now there's an incentive.

How To Organize A ThaiVisa Gathering.

Advice based on experience and observation.

Last year I organized a meet-up when our moderator Mcgriffith was coming to town, which was quite successful.

Here’s what I would advise anyone planning a similar event.

i) Choose a place, time and date yourself. Try to do this at committee level and you’ll be there ad nauseum.

ii) Send PMs to the shakers and movers of the forum. Don’t ask me to name them, I’ll offend those I forget as well as those who just think they should be included in this elite group. B)

All you need is two or three on side, they then PM their friends. When you have a core group of, say half a dozen starters, you’re home and hosed.

Some will decline the invitation, pleading Space Shuttle bookings or toe nail cutting appointments. Keep persevering.

iii) Announce it on the forum. I never did this, the venue I chose was small and subsequently some who may have liked to have been there missed out. Sorry about that.

iv) You are now in a strong position, any further discussion on time and venue can be ignored.

v) Later you will receive criticism from the perennial critics for perceived weaknesses in your game plan.

Smile enigmatically and tell them to kiss your ass.

Edited by sceadugenga

How To Organize A ThaiVisa Gathering.

Advice based on experience and observation.

Last year I organized a meet-up when our moderator Mcgriffith was coming to town, which was quite successful.

Here’s what I would advise anyone planning a similar event.

i) Choose a place, time and date yourself. Try to do this at committee level and you’ll be there ad nauseum.

ii) Send PMs to the shakers and movers of the forum. Don’t ask me to name them, I’ll offend those I forget as well as those who just think they should be included in this elite group. B)

All you need is two or three on side, they then PM their friends. When you have a core group of, say half a dozen starters, you’re home and hosed.

Some will decline the invitation, pleading Space Shuttle bookings or toe nail cutting appointments. Keep persevering.

iii) Announce it on the forum. I never did this, the venue I chose was small and subsequently some who may have liked to have been there missed out. Sorry about that.

iv) You are now in a strong position, any further discussion on time and venue can be ignored.

v) Later you will receive criticism from the perennial critics for perceived weaknesses in your game plan.

Smile enigmatically and tell them to kiss your ass.

There you go, another great post (especially the final part of v) worthy of being awarded chang35baht's prize!

Although I appreciate all the (prise winning:) ) advise it is nothing I haven't thought of a long time ago. My focus for this first, and possibly last get together was INCLUSIVITY versus EXCLUSIVITY. As Scea ably demonstrated there is no need for an open posting to put together a get together of friends and acquaintances. The PM process can handle that quite easily I also realise that the TV group may be too diverse to make it an ongoing affair but I thought it was worth the attempt. Thus the messy process that invited maximum input (committee?), a neutral park like setting and minimum cost.. Presuming that it occurs, it could die, continue or evolve to an rotating invitation only basis. So be it. :jap: For those interested a decision will be made and posted one week before.B)

Although I appreciate all the (prise winning:) ) advise it is nothing I haven't thought of a long time ago. My focus for this first, and possibly last get together was INCLUSIVITY versus EXCLUSIVITY. As Scea ably demonstrated there is no need for an open posting to put together a get together of friends and acquaintances.

" .. no need for an open posting to put together a get together of friends and acquaintances.", indeed!

What about snub appeal? B)

Hey.!

I agree it is a beautiful place but I can not remember if it has any suitable place to have a sit down lunch. Not very central either. I need to go back and take a look. Thanks for the input. What do others think.B)

Thinking of a 'park' -like setting to suggest is proving taxing. The National park headquarters at LamNamKok are very pleasant ( hot springs, beside the river, lots of big trees for shade etc) but are out past the Elephant ride village of Ban Ruam and on the other side of the river. Rajahbat University has lovely formal gardens with plenty of paths and open space with a lake , but -being- private ground, I'm not sure how acceptable it would be for you to use.(?) The park at the beginning of the trail up to Khun Korn waterfall - again quite a distance out from C.R. Can think of lots of other very pleasant places but they have little or no parking, or wouldn't accomodate a large group. Good luck.

I will go scout out the CR beach area this weekend. Lots of paved area there and lots of shade. We, as a group, should be able to bring enough tables and chairs for a get-together. I have enough seating and table space for several people besides the wife and myself and I can quickly build some portable tables and benches for others but not for enough for everyone. If all contribute, it will work. Tailgates on trucks make good seating for some people.

Only one big pavilion in that area that I can think of, so, let us hope it doesn't rain if that ends up being the place to go. Away from the river and in the old flower shoe area, lots of shade trees are available.

There are pay-as-you-go toilets nearby.

Anyone wants to go with me for the look-around, just let me know. I'll be having a look at around 1:00 p.m. Will also see if any of the vendors there by the river are interested in "hosting" us.

I found what I was looking for. It so happens that it was the location that the last Hash was held . I forget the formal name but it is a govt. agricultural research facility.

It is reasonably central, easy to get to, easy to find, the camp ground area is somewhat isolated, on a lake, good parking, a reasonable covered area, adequate seating and tables, walking/hiking trail with great views for those interested before or after.eating, over night camping with security and lights for those adventurous souls, adjacent toilet and. enough elbow room for kids If a few people bring folding chairs, tables mats and an umbrella it should be more than adequate for most TVers, with one possible exception.

I still need to go through the formality of submitting a written request to the head guy but don't see a problem now.

A few pictures attached.

post-72121-055177100 1287395236_thumb.jp

post-72121-082473900 1287395251_thumb.jp

post-72121-020476300 1287395279_thumb.jp

post-72121-098209300 1287395288_thumb.jp

post-72121-006700800 1287395300_thumb.jp

post-72121-037681700 1287395309_thumb.jp

post-72121-004863300 1287395320_thumb.jp

post-72121-077028200 1287395329_thumb.jp

Edited by scorpio1945

I found what I was looking for. It so happens that it was the location that the last Hash was held . I forget the formal name but it is a govt. agricultural research facility.

It is reasonably central, easy to get to, easy to find, the camp ground area is somewhat isolated, on a lake, good parking, a reasonable covered area, adequate seating and tables, walking/hiking trail with great views for those interested before or after.eating, over night camping with security and lights for those adventurous souls, adjacent toilet and. enough elbow room for kids If a few people bring folding chairs, tables mats and an umbrella it should be more than adequate for most TVers, with one possible exception.

I still need to go through the formality of submitting a written request to the head guy but don't see a problem now.

A few pictures attached.

We were there on Sunday - lovely venue. It's the Chiang Rai Horticultural Research centre, just off the old ChiangMai road at keystone 5k.

The first CR TV Pot Luck Picnic is ON.:) Sunday, 31 October at the Chiang Rai Horticultural Research Centre, Km marker 5 on the old Chiang Mai road. I suggest we eat at 13:00 but if anyone has an alternate time, please suggest. As stated before, you are welcome to come earlier to look around the facility or take advantage of the walking trails. If someone wants to bring a badminton set, that might be good as well.

Although not necessary, if you know you are coming or probably coming, it might be helpful to post what you are bringing to help other decide what to bring. No problem if you decide at the last minute to show up. That is the advantage of this kind of format. If there are 4 people or 40, it shouldn't matter. Just bring food and a smile.

The Center keeps asking if anyone will be camping overnight, I presume so they can provide security. So if you are thinking about it, let me know, otherwise I will tell them NO so they can quit worrying about it.

Bon appetitB)

Are there barbecue facilities there or do have to buy one of Kandahar's barbecues :)

I don't recall anything a westerner would consider a BBQ pit. Since it is for Thais I assume they would bring the little clay things or the 55 gal. drum type with them.

Everyone needs one of Kds BBQ pits although I am still trying to talk him into a smaller version.

If he comes maybe he will bring one for advertizing although it may take 4 grown men to lift it into a PU. Built to last.

Are there barbecue facilities there or do have to buy one of Kandahar's barbecues :)

I don't recall anything a westerner would consider a BBQ pit. Since it is for Thais I assume they would bring the little clay things or the 55 gal. drum type with them.

Everyone needs one of Kds BBQ pits although I am still trying to talk him into a smaller version.

If he comes maybe he will bring one for advertizing although it may take 4 grown men to lift it into a PU. Built to last.:)

I may bring a little portable LPG camping grill, just in case.