BANGKOK 25 March 2019 03:04
Sign in to follow this  
scorpio1945

Pot Luck

Let me see if I can be diplomatic about this OR get myself in trouble.

I always envisions this as a family type event so there would be kids coming. I also assume some would chose to bring beer but since it would be an early afternoon event that would be a non issue. BUT my feeling was that the FOCUS would be on INTERNATIONAL FOOD and FELLOWSHIP. If the FOCUS changes to KIDS then this is altogether a different type of thing with its own issues. I would encourage someone else to take the idea and run with it..

Jubby, my thoughts were that those that those that were too busy or non cooks would go to a deli or restaurant that serves their countries food or at least non Thai food and bring it. At first, my thoughts were everyone would bring their own drinks and plastic plates,etc. If it became an ongoing concern then all this could easily change and be dealt with. I wanted to keep it extremely simple at first. Then let it evolve. As I said, baby steps.

Oh, maybe I got carried away.

bring it back on track and good luck with it :)

Would the moderator change the title of post to CR INTERNATIONAL FOOD GROUP and under comments FORMALLY POT LUCK

Thank You

Would the moderator change the title of post to CR INTERNATIONAL FOOD GROUP and under comments FORMALLY POT LUCK

Thank You

What!?!? After all 27 of us Googled "potluck"? I don't think sooooooooo. I'm very anxious to sample whatever VF brings from the Meridian.

As Soap would say, "On!, ON!".

Scorpio 1945 I think your idea from the start has been great and it would be a pity to let it die at this stage.

Whatever is to be decided I will be glad to help .

great idea about the kids theme and a neutral venue.

May I suggest http://www.travelhub...-fah-luang.html as a possibility.

I don't know if it is open at the moment but it is a very suitable venue.

I think limbo has a contact here and he may be able to inquir if we can use their facilities.

Looks good except for the 200bt (falang) entry fee. :huh:

Looks good except for the 200bt (falang) entry fee. :huh:

Sorry, didn't see that. The last time I was there, there was no charge.

I will try to find out what's the position.

Another location would be Pongsali arboretum, on the highway going to the White temple.

Sure wish more Europeans would express an interest. Really would liven things up and expand the possible menu.

More on the pot-luck concept. Participants would be asked to bring a dish but they are not expected to feed everyone. The dish would be enough to feed themselves, if that was the only thing they ate, plus a little more i.e. their fair share. People are typically generous so there is usually more than enough. The food would be a home country favorite of theirs that they can find the ingredients for. Not looking for haute cuisine but family favorites, usually not calorie counters but no restrictions. People know to take a little of each till everyone has a chance so the dish does not disappear too quick. This is where the parents need to watch the kids. There is always a danger that you could end up with too many of certain type dishes but it is supposed to be a fun eating experience not a serious meal.:rolleyes:

Sure wish more Europeans would express an interest. Really would liven things up and expand the possible menu.

More on the pot-luck concept. Participants would be asked to bring a dish but they are not expected to feed everyone. The dish would be enough to feed themselves, if that was the only thing they ate, plus a little more i.e. their fair share. People are typically generous so there is usually more than enough. The food would be a home country favorite of theirs that they can find the ingredients for. Not looking for haute cuisine but family favorites, usually not calorie counters but no restrictions. People know to take a little of each till everyone has a chance so the dish does not disappear too quick. This is where the parents need to watch the kids. There is always a danger that you could end up with too many of certain type dishes but it is supposed to be a fun eating experience not a serious meal.:rolleyes:

Sounds a nice idea. We're interested

Looking for a date to try this idea out. Seems October 24th and the 31st are possibles but the 24th may conflict with the Music?/ Seven resorts Festival. so maybe the 31st is a better date. Do not see anything else going on. Would give us more time and hopefully more interest. It also happens to be Halloween.. I invite your feedback.

Still looking for a place to hold it. A park like location would seem to be best for the first one but nothing definite found yet.. I even thought of asking Don since his place is closed on Sunday but can not decide if this would be a good idea even if he agreed. There is also the fall back of one of the volunteer hosts. Input?

Dindong - Any update on your MFL idea.

Edited by scorpio1945

Unfortunitly rai Mae Fah Luang is not possible, they are looking for 200 baht a head..

anymore ideas out there???????