Pot Luck

scorpio1945

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to admit this. I am looking for a place that makes good, reasonably priced, apple pies. If any of you know of such a place, please let me know.

Found one bakery, mixed in with the day market, that quoted me 550 baht each. Fat chance!

I hate to admit this. I am looking for a place that makes good, reasonably priced, apple pies. If any of you know of such a place, please let me know.

Found one bakery, mixed in with the day market, that quoted me 550 baht each. Fat chance!

SK charge 200 for a 1kg one but too late will not have time to get one.

If you bring anything that tastes as good as your BBQ, YOU WILL BE FORGIVEN :jap: Not sure if Jarin(sp?) Resort on hwy to CM may have.

at great risk to my self...or my waistline..I managed to capture a roaming apple pie. If I do not get too hungry it will be at the potluck on sunday. If anyone can bring a little jug of custard to go with it it would be nice. It is only a 1kg one so hope only two people are there :rolleyes:

at great risk to my self...or my waistline..I managed to capture a roaming apple pie. If I do not get too hungry it will be at the potluck on sunday. If anyone can bring a little jug of custard to go with it it would be nice. It is only a 1kg one so hope only two people are there :rolleyes:

I'll do the custard, just keep me a little bit of the apple tart.

Boston baked beans are in the oven again as our event founder Scorpio has made a personal request. I got a bit heavy handed with the pepper this time so beware of more than one consequence of over indulging.

:blink:

There was an electrical outlet there in the pavilion so music CD's are a good idea as well as a coffee maker.

The weather has been beautiful over here in Sounwijai ...See you at noon with a spoon.

Boston baked beans are in the oven again as our event founder Scorpio has made a personal request. I got a bit heavy handed with the pepper this time so beware of more than one consequence of over indulging.

:blink:

There was an electrical outlet there in the pavilion so music CD's are a good idea as well as a coffee maker.

The weather has been beautiful over here in Sounwijai ...See you at noon with a spoon.

Yahoo!:D Bring your smaller half this time.B) We will be nice.:)

I found two small pies to bring. They are apple AND raisin combined. Haven't tried them. We'll let the group decide if they are worth the trouble. Couldn't find just plain apple.

I am bringing a large charcoal grill that will be fired up and ready if anyone needs to reheat anything. I'll get that set up early.

Have invited several other folks, most of whom I don't know. I meet people and invite them. So, perhaps we'll have a fair sized group of non-forum folks as well.

I understand that scorpio has finally landed that new car that he has been waiting for and it will probably be at the potluck. I have searched in vain for a few monks that can come christen it. In the absence of the monks, I have made a plan for all of us to christen it at the potluck. At 1:45, we will form a queue and proceed to pee on his tires. Everyone drink plenty of water beforehand.

Edited by kandahar

I found two small pies to bring. They are apple AND raisin combined. Haven't tried them. We'll let the group decide if they are worth the trouble. Couldn't find just plain apple.

I am bringing a large charcoal grill that will be fired up and ready if anyone needs to reheat anything. I'll get that set up early.

Have invited several other folks, most of whom I don't know. I meet people and invite them. So, perhaps we'll have a fair sized group of non-forum folks as well.

I understand that scorpio has finally landed that new car that he has been waiting for and it will probably be at the potluck. I have searched in vain for a few monks that can come christen it. In the absence of the monks, I have made a plan for all of us to christen it at the potluck. At 1:45, we will form a queue and proceed to pee on his tires. Everyone drink plenty of water beforehand.

A second really enjoyable afternoon. Apple pie heaven - we even had custard. Chilli, Italian beef, papaya salad, pizza, potato bake, pork steaks,the list goes on and on. What a pity the stomach says 'full' before you've tried everything. Oh. and there was some serious conversing going on as well. Nice to see you all, and special thanks to Scorpio and Kandahar and spouses for setting it all up again. If we have one in December, I'll make some mince pies.

I enjoyed some serious handshaking and conversing, as well. ;) Always good to say hello to fellow inhabitants of the Rai, new and old.

For those of you too civilized to ask, yes, that was me dressed all in black, arriving stylishly late and leaving desperately early. :)

Must have missed you VF. Shouldn't keep such a low profile.

The food was tremendous. Nice conversation too. Nice relaxing afternoon. Nice bunch of people surprisingly B)

Unfortunately , I should have been at the School Sports day, Token farang, baking in the hot Sun, eating somtam and sticky rice.

Made the wrong decision again :(

Edited by jubby

I believe that today I had the most pleasurable meal I have had in Thailand. Great food. Really, really great food and lots of it. I stuffed myself more than I have since arriving here. Too many choices and too many seconds on most of them.

I didn't know that a person could make home-made marshmallows for roasting on the grill. Harsu showed us it could be done and done right, along with home-made baked bread.

Lots of desserts this time and we even had hot coffee to go with it.

Good thing it is only once a month. I would have to buy bigger pants if the event was held often.

An aside here. Lots of Farang conversation with accents from all over. Good humor and stories shared. But I notice that the Thai spouses and girlfriends have just as much fun as everyone else. I worried they would feel "out of place" with so many Farang gathered in one spot. They don't. If that is something that some of you have been considering when deciding to come or not, don't let it be a worry. The girls have fun and lots of it.

Thanks to all for making it a great afternoon and a special thanks to Scorpio, the founding father. Thanks for your persistence in getting us together. I thought it was a futile endeavor. Instead, it looks like it will become a tradition.

I suspect Woraphat or someone else will post some pics here in the next day or so. There were plenty of cameras working.

Great food, great company and a great location. What more could one ask.

A special thanks for Kd who always does more than his share and a special welcome for our first European, Sven.:)and the first timers.

Thank you guys that arranged it and thanks to everyone that were there! The food was more than great, we had some cold Beer and a lot of good conversations. Met some old friends and made some new friends! The location is perfect, close to town, beautiful views and with both water and electricity.

post-29230-0-78476200-1291035158_thumb.j post-29230-0-21706400-1291035188_thumb.j

post-29230-0-55820800-1291035198_thumb.j post-29230-0-19653100-1291035178_thumb.j

post-29230-0-11314400-1291035167_thumb.j post-29230-0-28154800-1291035215_thumb.j

post-29230-0-50525800-1291035206_thumb.j post-29230-0-52984600-1291035148_thumb.j

Great food, great company and a great location. What more could one ask.

A special thanks for Kd who always does more than his share and a special welcome for our first European, Sven.:)and the first timers.

Thank you guys that arranged it and thanks to everyone that were there! The food was more than great, we had some cold Beer and a lot of good conversations. Met some old friends and made some new friends! The location is perfect, close to town, beautiful views and with both water and electricity.

post-29230-0-78476200-1291035158_thumb.j post-29230-0-21706400-1291035188_thumb.j

post-29230-0-55820800-1291035198_thumb.j post-29230-0-19653100-1291035178_thumb.j

post-29230-0-11314400-1291035167_thumb.j post-29230-0-28154800-1291035215_thumb.j

post-29230-0-50525800-1291035206_thumb.j post-29230-0-52984600-1291035148_thumb.j

It was nice of you to photoshop out the knife in Po's hand but can I have an unretouched copy of the smiling assasin please...It could come in handy :D for blackmail

Edited by harrry

Sounds good. But it will be a bit cooler then. I am thinking we'll need a good pot of baked beans from mellofello for sure.

Sounds good to us to supply a big pot of hot baked beans. We will also bring a Vietnamese dish to be called "Sunday surprise" because we have not decided which one to bring yet. other than it will have a hot dipping sauce as well as a mild one for our sensitive friends.

The weather will certainly be cooler , the sun will be low in the sky as the winter equinox will have just passed. Good idea to have a warm jacket along.

The next logical date for the picnic is Sunday, 26 December at 12:00 noon. Any reason to change it?:whistling:

Suits me

Probably a good idea to keep it on a regular day if possible so people get a habit.

Sounds good to us, plus then we can bring along my brother and his hordes as they usually come to to visit at Christmas. Show them what they're missing living down in Grunthep. We have just finished off the half apple pie 'forced' upon us by Dingdong (O.K. seized out of his hand's) at the end of Sunday's event. Absolutely delicious.

Is the recipe for those beans a secret ? Seriously tasty.

Sven and I were discussing how we used to eat baked beans as a last resort when the fridge was empty , in our batchelor days, after a session on the Beavers Milk . He used to eat frozen Pizza too. used to defrost in his mouth he was saying :D

Is the recipe for those beans a secret ? Seriously tasty.

Sven and I were discussing how we used to eat baked beans as a last resort when the fridge was empty , in our batchelor days, after a session on the Beavers Milk . He used to eat frozen Pizza too. used to defrost in his mouth he was saying :D

Well Jubby, I admit to cooking a lot of baked beans together with "Falusausage" close to payday. But it was the Village Idiot that was eating frozen pizza direct out of the freezer. When I was young we had no Pizza and absolutely no frozen Pizza!

<_<:huh::(