Boy, Aged 9, Killed In Bangkok School Gang Shooting

george

Boy, aged 9, killed in Thai school gang shooting: police

BANGKOK, September 1, 2010 (AFP) - A nine-year-old boy was shot and killed in the Thai capital on his way to school Wednesday when a teenage gang opened fire on his bus, police said.

Jatupon Ponpaka was about to get off the bus with his elder brother at a stop in eastern Bangkok when about 10 students from a local high school started chasing the vehicle, opening fire as it sped away.

"The boy was shot in the face and neck and died later in hospital," said Police Lieutenant Pradit Taprasitjit, in charge of the investigation.

The same group of students went on to throw beer bottles at the next bus, which had four students from a rival school on board, he told AFP.

Fighting between rival school gangs in public places is common in Thailand, with innocent people often caught up in the violence.

"My son will not be the last victim to die in similar circumstances. There is no benefit from fighting each other. I want them to stop fighting," Ungsu Khamwong, the boy's mother, said on Thailand's PBS television channel.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-09-01

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not the same students. BUT, yesterday everyone was whining and crying with shouts of "hang em high" at the teacher that was caning some high school boys. Perhaps if there was more of that caning going on there would be less of this killing going on. This is not the first young child to be killed by high school boys.

Why why does this sort of thing have to happen? An innocent killed in the name of an inter school feud So sad so very sadangry.gifangry.gif

Last Friday (27/08/10), there was also a big fight between two rival colleges, the Pathumthanee Technology College and the Ramintra Dusit Technology School. The fight took place at a bus stop outside Future Park, Rangsiit, in Pathumthani province.

Guns and knives were used. One 19 year-old student, Yootjak Khaengkhan died and two seriously injured.

Apparently these fights between the technology colleges happen quite often.

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/region/106746

Teachers do not whip students over fighting with rival schools. I really do not think that this is the answer.

In some poorer countries, if the children do something wrong, the parents are held accountable. There is some merit to those ideas.

This is also a police and school administration problem. School administrators of "rival" schools need to get together in front of the students of both schools and show them that there is no animosity between the administrators, nor the schools so there should also be no fighting between the students.

• Like 2

These places are failing their students and society. In some cases, its been reported that teachers actually encourage and support their students in these fights.

If anyone had any balls, they'd simply close these places down. Far from being a pillar of the kingdom, they are a threat to society.

• Like 2

Probably not the same students. BUT, yesterday everyone was whining and crying with shouts of "hang em high" at the teacher that was caning some high school boys. Perhaps if there was more of that caning going on there would be less of this killing going on. This is not the first young child to be killed by high school boys.

Caning is one part of the coin, killing the other. Caning as the old catholic system of teaching to chase the bad "phi", the "devil" out of the body, has his opposite in the "gang" mentality of Thailand adopted from abroad. You have to be in a "gang" or you are nothing. You have to follow or the "gang" kicks you out.

You reckon more beatings is the solution? How about parents that actually pay attention to their kids?

You see none of us got to see the film clip as to what those boys did to have their teacher get to the point that would make him think he needed to cane them. Perhaps they were fighting and he knew it had the potential to escalate. Not sure just guessing. But any child that would shoot bullets at a school bus has probably never been disciplined. "Parents paying more attention to their kids". I'm guessing you haven't been in Thailand very long.

What happened to the 'Thai love Thai' program of a while ago? Look after each other, look out for each other.

Maybe it's just the city that's going down the toilet.

I live in the sticks and I saw something that almost brought a tear to my eyes the other day.

Sitting out the front having a beer as one of the song taos pulled up to drop off school students and watched as two older students held the hands of younger students as they climbed down the steps.

There may be hope for this country yet.

Why why does this sort of thing have to happen? An innocent killed in the name of an inter school feud So sad so very sadangry.gifangry.gif

This is not exclusive to Thailand, You can read abouit this sort of thing most days in the British press, where a group have ambushed a young kid and stabbed him, it`s a very sad problem in the world to-day!

My perception of this phenomenon is they are "wanna be" gangsters. They see American gangsters in the movies and think it is cool. They try to flash gang-sign that they do not fully understand. They walk the gangster swagger, etc.

I've only seen it a few times in Thailand...in clumps. If no other youngster is around to appreciate it or fear it, what they do is meaningless. It's like a game of , "Let's all pretend we're gangsters! It'll be cool!" The culture and the way of thinking here does not support the mentality. There was a gang of "kids" around ChiangMai about 5 or 6 years ago that went around on motorcycles killing people with Samurai style swords. I believe the police basically "exterminated" them, which is surely what should have been done in America when gangs first sprouted up there. Mexico is no longer run by the government, the drug gangs have the government and the law abiding population on the run, with lots of gangsters, guns, and the blackest of black hearts. Let's hope that here, unlike the west, the police will have the wherewithal and "patriotism" (if you will) to nip this phenomenon in the bud. The "powers that were", in the west, were forced to stand back and watch while their country went down the tubes, because of certain interpretations of laws and social correctness. Here I believe the police have more latitude, by tradition and law. The current "state of emergency" in Bangkok, giving the police even more latitude, is an excellent opportunity to "Nip this in the bud, or Rue the Day!"

It's a tough issue. Boys of that age have a lot of hormones going on. The only gang type activity that I was involved with was when me and my buddies were 7 yrs old - maybe we get the ya yas out earlier in the States. One of my gang (of that time long ago) went on to be a US Senator, another became head of a Wall St. Investment group - go figure.

I think crappy videos are a factor. Granted, there's no one 'silver bullet' that will make boys mature, but being fed on a steady diet of violent videos from the age they could sit up by themselves, sure doesn't do any good for a kid's psyche. Slightly less polluting for the mind, are videos which have any number of other awful messages. Go in to any video store, and see what the most showcased selections are. Are there any true science or nature items (like Nat'l Geo or Animal Planet)?. Absolutely none. Are there any which teach redeeming character traits such as tolerance, wisdom, fairness, environmental husbandry, etc? Zip, Zero.

Another related factor (pun intended) is the influence of elders. Whether it be top politicians or businesspeople (like Thaksin, Newin) or their parents, or other elders, ...one key messages is: Lying is ok if it makes you richer and more popular. Most other messages from elders are fraught with hypocrisy. For example, "don't do drugs" ...when nearly every adult they see drinks like a drunken fish.

Since when was any school worth fighting over? In civilised countries interschool sports such as rowing regattas and football matches take care of any aggressions but it seems in Thailand a 9 year old takes a blast from a shot gun carrying student (????) who fired a 'bullet'.

Shot guns fire blasts not bullets and any student carrying a gun would be fairly obvious surely? Shot gun or rifle. And as yet there are no arrests or disclosure about the assailant!

Serious problems here. mad.gif

the caned kids yesterday looked pretty quiet and obedient .

The ones involved in the attack of the bus aren't wannabe gangsters; they are gang members, proficient in racketing, dope dealing, pimping .Their being at school is only a front . They are well-known to their teachers and headmasters who want to have nothing to do with them. Sons of kamooys probably. Bad lot, ne'er do well, maybe not Thaïs .Jailbirds. rabble .

And how do you know the students responsible for the shooting haven't been canned or beaten by teachers before this incident but still behave like this?

How about instead, "Perhaps if there was less of that caning going on there would be less of this killing going on", because it seems you just using a preconceived position that beating children leads to them becoming peace loving, law abiding citizens; while I think it's just as likely (actually more likely in my opinion) to produce violent persons that would leash out against anyone they may think they can get away with attacking, use violence as a relief valve for the anger they have over being beaten by their teachers and/or parents.

• Like 2

Ever heard the maxim: Violence breeds Violence?

:whistling:

These are mainly vocational students and unfortuntly my nephew goes to one of the schools involved. It is not the first time this has happened this term. On the first day of term May 2010 1 student was shot and killed walking home, then about two weeks ago a further student was stabbed after school (the school was ordered shut by the police for two days to give tempers a chance to cool off) and now this. This is about face. Nothing more or less. The students don't want to back down to their opposing school and will always seek revenge no matter what the police or teachers do. Teachers currently patrol the buses at kick out time and ban gatherings of students outside the school or surrounding aread. These fights and shootings are a thing of pride in schools and many of the studenst come from broken families and see the school as there surrogate family and happily defend it as they see it. Very sad for the young lad who died and his parents. RIP

Caning is one part of the coin, killing the other. Caning as the old catholic system of teaching to chase the bad "phi", the "devil" out of the body, has his opposite in the "gang" mentality of Thailand adopted from abroad. You have to be in a "gang" or you are nothing. You have to follow or the "gang" kicks you out.

My perception of this phenomenon is they are "wanna be" gangsters. They see American gangsters in the movies and think it is cool. They try to flash gang-sign that they do not fully understand. They walk the gangster swagger, etc.

I've only seen it a few times in Thailand...in clumps. If no other youngster is around to appreciate it or fear it, what they do is meaningless. It's like a game of , "Let's all pretend we're gangsters! It'll be cool!" ...

The ""gang" mentality" is nothing that was adopted from abroad. It is also not a new phenomena but pretty much old school. These fights between the different schools have a long tradition in Thailand and occurred even before rock'n'roll or hiphop or american gangster movies or similar strange "vices" of the so call youth "sub culture" reached Thailand.

Not that i want to defend it, but its nothing what grandpas can blame on the spoiled youth of today.

Have you ever seen a Thai soap opera? Enough said.

• Like 1

In some poorer countries, if the children do something wrong, the parents are held accountable. There is some merit to those ideas.

How about in most civilized countries in the world.

Parents are responsible for the actions of their children until the come of legal age.

Not sure where you came up with poorer countries, but you are way off the mark.

The more time I spend in Thailand, the more the rose-colored glasses come off, revealing the ugly underbelly of a failed state.

failed state? how many tall ones did you have? a failed state means no gov't. Shootings happen everywhere, in every country. No utopia anywhere. At least you and I weren't caught up in it, think of it that way.

There have been known rival schools for a long time. Upcountry rival towns, teenagers. I think thats often....everywhere.