Another visa trip to laos

Again it was time for the trip across the border, so off Mrs T and I went, learning a couple of things the hard way. First we went to Mo-chit bus station via the skytrain. Once there we asked for the VIP coach. The first booth we were herded to wasn't what we wanted. The second one the woman seemed pleasant - but the price was less than what we thought it would be. It was 7:15 & our bus to Nongkhai left at 7:30. The woman had just written VIP on the ticket & we ended up on a more standard air-con bus - where we were squashed for 9 hours.

We had no problem with the hotel in Nong Khai, although the tuk tuk driver was a bit put out when Mrs T demanded the price in advance & wasn't taking any shit from him (Last time a tuk tuk tried for 100 Baht for a 5 minute drive) - He asked for 50 Baht (and it was 4am).

Took a tuk tuk to the border and got on the 10Baht bus to immigration (paying 10Baht each exit fee - then on the Laos side the same). As soon as our feet passed the immigration point we were surrounded by very 'friendly' taxi & tuk tuk drivers. Because of getting lied to about the class of bus the night before Mrs T was in fine form, both bargaining and not taking any crap from anyone. We were hot & I wanted a drink so we went to the shop to get a coke or whatever & some gave in. One was told (as the conversation was in Thai) if he wanted to take us so badly he could wait for us, and think about charging a fair price. Worked perfectly - 100 Baht to Vientienne. (She very generously gave him 120Baht).

When coming back the Laos side couldn't be bothered with the

exit fee - well we were waved past, and this time on the Thai side an entry fee wasn't asked for, although the immigration official was younger than the one last time we went ???? when we didn't get a receipt.

At Nong Khai train station when we were returning were told

that they had no 2nd class sleepers together in the same carriage, but we could pay a little over 2000 Baht for 1st class. Again Mrs T was calm in Thai but he got the message. Anyway to the bus station, where we got the VIP 24 seater bus a couple of hours later for 545 Baht each (Only 10 people on board) & we got into Bangkok 2 hours before the train was due anyway. One of the staff at the bus station was angry about what had happened to us coming up, basically being lied to, and assured us we would get what we asked for, because Mrs T started with

the this had better be - type line. Luckily it was.

While waiting for the bus a bunch of 5 or 6 Slovakians came

and wanted to book a ticket - the staff's understanding of English was limited. Mrs T could see everyone struggling and ended up being a translator - although no-one complained when she shouted to everyone to stop and speak one at a time. I think the Thai's were a bit surprised, but realised she was actually helping them.

Next thing to piss off Mrs T (& myself) was the taxi drivers

surrounding us as soon as we got off the bus in Bangkok - meter off only 300 Baht, but I went into that in an earlier post, and there is an official metered rank at the bus station, but if you've not been before you don't know that when you are surrounded as soon as you get off the bus at the other side of the station.

Mr T

(reposted fron soc.culture.thai)