BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Forethat

Farangs Getting Stuck.

I have also met some farangs that got stuck here. One American I know lives in one of those metal shacks and he goes to the local temple every morning to get free food which he takes back home. I think he is 10 years overstay and his mom send him 200 USD a month with which he buys smokes and a bit of booze.

Another Canadian I know has been here for ages and he is also overstay. He is in his 60's, has no pension plan whatsoever, no family left back home and he lives in a dirty little room and scrapes by on maybe 5000 Thai Baht a month which he gets as he teaches a bit of English to private students. He wants to go back home to Canada but he is somehow scared to go back. He has no money to begin with but also no family there to offer him shelter until he can get himself sorted out with a job, apartment etc.

A German guy I know recently got into a big accident and he will have to spend many months in the hospital if he survives. He has no family, no insurance, no money and he is completely screwed. His Thai GF robbed everything out of his house whilst he was in intensive care.

I am currently living in Isaan and unfortunately there are a lot of "lost souls" here including a small group of US veterans who never went back home after the war.

Edited by Jimbo

I'm stunned to hear some if this. Gobsmacked.

It actually resembles the large number Irish who migrated to England in search of work but ended up sleeping rough without any money to send home to their families. Many started drinking. The stigma of being completely unsuccessful in providing for their families back home in Ireland meant many of them ended up never returning back home. Families shattered. What an absolute nightmare it must be to end up like this.

I remember a young English woman in Malaysia pre internet and mobile phone era many years ago. We found her living in a monsoon drain all covered in mud and filth.

Her story started as a backpacker who ran out of money. She ate less and less until her judgment became impaired. She went downhill from there.

Through contacts in the military hospital we managed to get her some treatment, her embassy involved and her sent back to the UK.

I know who you're talking about. I never talked to him, but he didn't appear crazy. My TGF says he seemed to be stuck, and in Thailand with no money. He was just quiet. Situations change, and, hopefully, he got some help from home. He hasn't been around for awhile.

I always wondered why the police didn't take these people off the street as it's apparent they are vagrants. I think they just don't want to be bothered as long as they don't create a problem.

Why on earth would the Thai police take him off the street if he was penniless? What on earth would they stand to gain from that apart from some paperwork.

This kind of thing shocks or surprises you? You must have lived very sheltered, privileged lives.

It is frankly amazing how many of the expats here spend their lives behind rose tinted spectacles, where we are, you cannot let the children out of your sight as so many have been taken away in those vans with blacked out windows, some have allegedly had limbs amputated and been put out to beg.

I know who you're talking about. I never talked to him, but he didn't appear crazy. My TGF says he seemed to be stuck, and in Thailand with no money. He was just quiet. Situations change, and, hopefully, he got some help from home. He hasn't been around for awhile.

I always wondered why the police didn't take these people off the street as it's apparent they are vagrants. I think they just don't want to be bothered as long as they don't create a problem.

Why on earth would the Thai police take him off the street if he was penniless? What on earth would they stand to gain from that apart from some paperwork.

That's why I said they couldn't be bothered.

I have no idea how they get by day-by-day, or how they ever got in such a situation. Maybe it has something to do with either being crazy or making the wrong choices.

When reading sad stories about how people back in the west ended up on the streets.

How fast it goes for some people, after they lose job, family, then house, etc.

Im not surprised (but saddened) it can happen when one is in another country as well.

Probably easier when one is in another country, and especially if one left nothing behind back home.

Still, if one have kept the passport ( a Canadian in this case?), all is not lost.

Especially if one is lucky enough coming from a country with a good welfare system.

Of course, one needs someone to push him in the right direction. This seems to be in many cases the most difficult part.

In regards to the Canadian , he does stand a chance to be repatriated by the Canadian embassy , but he must get an interview with a Canadian national , the Thai people there will more or less tell him to fuc-k off . They can buy him a one way first class ticket which he is obliged to repay the cost of at a later date , he could enquire about refugee status as if he stays in Thailand his life could be in jeopardy . The welfare state could be called in to assist him to re-establish himself , you as a friend could check all of this out on the government site and other locations .

I have also met some farangs that got stuck here. One American I know lives in one of those metal shacks and he goes to the local temple every morning to get free food which he takes back home. I think he is 10 years overstay and his mom send him 200 USD a month with which he buys smokes and a bit of booze.

Another Canadian I know has been here for ages and he is also overstay. He is in his 60's, has no pension plan whatsoever, no family left back home and he lives in a dirty little room and scrapes by on maybe 5000 Thai Baht a month which he gets as he teaches a bit of English to private students. He wants to go back home to Canada but he is somehow scared to go back. He has no money to begin with but also no family there to offer him shelter until he can get himself sorted out with a job, apartment etc.

A German guy I know recently got into a big accident and he will have to spend many months in the hospital if he survives. He has no family, no insurance, no money and he is completely screwed. His Thai GF robbed everything out of his house whilst he was in intensive care.

I am currently living in Isaan and unfortunately there are a lot of "lost souls" here including a small group of US veterans who never went back home after the war.

unbelievable... :huh:

I lived on Soi 7 for 7 years up until last year and never saw anyone repeatedly sitting there. Maybe he is thinking the same about you.

I have talked to several people about the guy and they all knew about this farang. Nobody seems to know what happened to him. I talked to the girl working in the store that sells Camel clothes and she had no clue where he went.

lol, maybe you are right, he probably wondered why he saw me there every time...I never thought about that! :)

In addition, if you lived on Soi 7 for years, it must have been 3 or more years ago, or you're blind

I think you both are speaking about different people! The young man at the corner of soi 7 was there quit a time around July 2009: http://www.flickr.co...57601981409481/

Another was for years sitting at the stairs to Nana Square and moved some time ago to the opposite mall after getting troubles with a guard for some reason.