CMU Fails To Provide Visa Support Documents

The domain teflcmu.com is currently registered to Chiang Mai University Language Institute.

It is probably illegal for someone to impersonate a former employee by sending anything from that former employee's mail account.

However, if you send an email to someone who used to work there (for example: matt(at)teflcmu.com) your email will probably be intercepted by someone else who does work there.

According to whois the domain's owner registered the domain in the States with the owner's name hidden. It seems unlikely CMU LI would do this to any website that belongs to them.

Administrative Contact:

Whois Privacy Protection Service, Inc.

Whois Agent ()

+1.4252740657

Fax: +1.4259744730

PMB 368, 14150 NE 20th St - F1

C/O cmutefl.com

Bellevue, WA 98007

US

Do you have evidence it's registered to CMU LI?

Even stranger because the LI in their public announcement stated clearly this domain belongs to IUS and strongly advises people not to enroll on any of their programs offered on these sites.

Read here: http://www.li.chiangmai.ac.th/

www.cmutefl.com

www.studythaicmu.com

www.exchangecmu.com

www.lecturecmu.com

Edited by Loaded

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Prof. Rien is in China and will return on Oct. 19th.

You can contact his staff at his offices in CMU's Language Institute.

Rien has told me, in the presence of several witnesses, the CMU suspects Matt Kay of selling visas to fictitious students who were enrolled in the 1 year Thai course administered by IUS and.

He claims this is the reason for the cancellation of IUS's activities in CMU.

Obviously I am not in a position to know whether these charges against Matt Kay are correct.

But I do know he (Matt Kay) has been VERY evasive in refunding even a fraction of money he has agreed IN WRITING that he owes me for a TEFL class I chose not to take in September.

Selling Visas to fictitious students? How would selling visa's to fictitious students even work? You need a tonne of paper work , passports, photos and documents to get the Visa so id like to see how this would work and how it would benefit anyone? As its been mentioned time and time again, Immigration went though all of the Thai programs visa records and were very happy with all the records kept.

Matt has been evasive with refunds? Well seeing as he has paid out over a million baht in refunds and CMU refuses to give a single baht back who would you think is evasive. A person's personal bankroll can only go so far until it is depleted and cannot make money magically appear out of thin air. Again, 60 percent of the money was paid to CMULI and they flatly refuse to pay any back. If they had refunded the 60 percent alot more students would have received their refunds by now.

It is very easy for Rien to say what ever he likes about IUS and Matt as they are not their to give the other side of the story.

The domain teflcmu.com is currently registered to Chiang Mai University Language Institute.

It is probably illegal for someone to impersonate a former employee by sending anything from that former employee's mail account.

However, if you send an email to someone who used to work there (for example: matt(at)teflcmu.com) your email will probably be intercepted by someone else who does work there.

According to whois the domain's owner registered the domain in the States with the owner's name hidden. It seems unlikely CMU LI would do this to any website that belongs to them.

Administrative Contact:

Whois Agent ()

+1.4252740657

C/O cmutefl.com

Bellevue, WA 98007

US

Even stranger because the LI in their public announcement stated clearly this domain belongs to IUS and strongly advises people not to enroll on any of their programs offered on these sites.

www.cmutefl.com www.teflcmu.com

www.studythaicmu.com

www.exchangecmu.com

www.lecturecmu.com

The domain cmutefl.com is not in that list, you must have copied it wrong. Running whois on each of the 4 listed domains shows they're all registered to the CMU Language Institute. However, the first one, teflcmu.com, was handled by a different registrar and the admin contact is listed as CMU instead of Matthew Kay (which doesn't necessarily mean anything).

Administrative Contact:

Whois Agent ()

+1.4252740657

C/O cmutefl.com

Bellevue, WA 98007

US

www.studythaicmu.com

www.exchangecmu.com

www.lecturecmu.com

The domain cmutefl.com is not in that list, you must have copied it wrong. Running whois on each of the 4 listed domains shows they're all registered to the CMU Language Institute. However, the first one, teflcmu.com, was handled by a different registrar and the admin contact is listed as CMU instead of Matthew Kay (which doesn't necessarily mean anything).

My mistake with whois - apologies

Whoever is in control of that site though still seems to be taking course payments.

http://www.teflcmu.com/payoptions.html

Administrative Contact:

Whois Agent ()

+1.4252740657

C/O cmutefl.com

Bellevue, WA 98007

US

www.studythaicmu.com

www.exchangecmu.com

www.lecturecmu.com

My mistake with whois - apologies

Whoever is in control of that site though still seems to be taking course payments.

http://www.teflcmu.com/payoptions.html

The domain and website are owned by Matt. It also states that the TEFL program is no longer associated with the University and is its own independent TEFL program now and is now its own identity.

Rien has told me, in the presence of several witnesses, the CMU suspects Matt Kay of selling visas to fictitious students who were enrolled in the 1 year Thai course administered by IUS and.

Obviously I am not in a position to know whether these charges against Matt Kay are correct.

But I do know he (Matt Kay) has been VERY evasive in refunding even a fraction of money he has agreed IN WRITING that he owes me for a TEFL class I chose not to take in September.

Selling Visas to fictitious students? How would selling visa's to fictitious students even work? You need a tonne of paper work , passports, photos and documents to get the Visa so id like to see how this would work and how it would benefit anyone? As its been mentioned time and time again, Immigration went though all of the Thai programs visa records and were very happy with all the records kept.

Matt has been evasive with refunds? Well seeing as he has paid out over a million baht in refunds and CMU refuses to give a single baht back who would you think is evasive. A person's personal bankroll can only go so far until it is depleted and cannot make money magically appear out of thin air. Again, 60 percent of the money was paid to CMULI and they flatly refuse to pay any back. If they had refunded the 60 percent alot more students would have received their refunds by now.

It is very easy for Rien to say what ever he likes about IUS and Matt as they are not their to give the other side of the story.

It is correct that Rien can say what he wants, but it is also dangerous for him to do so in front of witnesses.

He could be sued for that...

So perhaps he can substantiate his claims.

And I do not know how much money Matt has given back in refunds. Have you seen his receipts? Have you gotten any money from him?

And how do you know Immigration was happy with what they've seen? Have you talked to Immigration?

We have to wait and see how all this unfolds before taking sides...

What I do know is that Matt has refused to refund me with even the 40% of my tuition fees that allegedly was his cut of the entire fee. He refused - I have this documented - to give me even a few thousand Baht refund just as a sign that he intends to give the rest back in the future. This I know for a fact.

As for CMU, if they do provide the 1 year Thai course as they promised to in an official letter released four days ago, how can they be blamed for anything except lazy management and slow reactions?

What I am saying is - I don't know who's telling the truth here. But just because Matt is a falang, like us, does not necessarily mean the truth is on his side. There have been falang crooks in this world, you know, not just Thai ones.

And as for selling visas, here's how it would go.

1. You sell a course to a falang.

2. The falang gets a 1 year visa.

3. The falang does not attend classes.

4. The relevant staff (employees of Matt) do not report this to Immigration.

This has happened in many other schools that were closed as a result, even in Chiang Mai itself.

Perhaps it has not happened in the case of IUC. Perhaps they are as clean as can be regarding this.

But Rien says, in front of witnesses that Matt has refused to share personal info regarding his suspicious students with CMU's authorities and that THAT was the reason for the termination of his employment.

False claims by Rien? Perhaps.

But how do we know for certain?

Yes i have seen the receipts, i have seen the accounts, i have spoken to immigration and i was one of the main people who have been negotiating with Rien. I have seen him change his story many times in front of students and trip over his own words. 98 percent of language schools advertise "1 year visas". If you think that this isn;t a pre requisite for people choosing where to study your kidding yourself. Do some people abuse the Visa.. Yes, sad but true. The Thai program at CMU had a 80 percent attendance requirement. They were told this before they enrolled and told if they didnt meet the 80 percent requirement they must make it up with 1 on 1 tuition with their teacher. FACT: Immigration saw all of the Thai programs attendance records and everything was in order. FACT: CMULI cancelled all programs without warning and Rian (infront of groups of students) told everyone the reason the Visa's were not signed was because immigration would not sign them. I called immigration who told me they have no problem approving the Visa's all they needed was a letter from the University. FACT: Many students lost Visa extensions and courses due to this and ended up with overstays. CMU offering classes for those who have visa's is not in anyway helping the students who lost everything and yet refuse to pay back any of the 60 percent of the money they happily took.

It is correct that Rien can say what he wants, but it is also dangerous for him to do so in front of witnesses.

And I do not know how much money Matt has given back in refunds. Have you seen his receipts? Have you gotten any money from him?

And how do you know Immigration was happy with what they've seen? Have you talked to Immigration?

What I do know is that Matt has refused to refund me with even the 40% of my tuition fees that allegedly was his cut of the entire fee. He refused - I have this documented - to give me even a few thousand Baht refund just as a sign that he intends to give the rest back in the future. This I know for a fact.

As for CMU, if they do provide the 1 year Thai course as they promised to in an official letter released four days ago, how can they be blamed for anything except lazy management and slow reactions?

What I am saying is - I don't know who's telling the truth here. But just because Matt is a falang, like us, does not necessarily mean the truth is on his side. There have been falang crooks in this world, you know, not just Thai ones.

This has happened in many other schools that were closed as a result, even in Chiang Mai itself.

Perhaps it has not happened in the case of IUC. Perhaps they are as clean as can be regarding this.

But Rien says, in front of witnesses that Matt has refused to share personal info regarding his suspicious students with CMU's authorities and that THAT was the reason for the termination of his employment.

How do we know for certain? Once we've lived here for a while, we have a pretty good idea who's doing what to whom and why, and Rien and CMU's behaviour is typical of a certain psychological outlook on life in LOS being increasingly demonstrated against people who are told that they are 'guests' here and should accept anything that's thrown at them as a result.

How many of us came here believing the online hype about living in paradise? Reality hits in sooner or later, no matter where you live. Read between the lines -- you'll get a better picture.

And please remember that Matt wasn't the only member of the team providing services for foreigners here. Carmen and Gill did all they possibly could for those on CEP - right up until the very last minute when the rug was pulled from under their feet. Of course, at the same time they were worried sick about their own visa status and about the ongoing projects that participants were overseeing.

I wish some of the posters here would realise that the language course is not the only one affected. At least those whose visas were granted as part of the Thai langauge course can just find another school -- there isn't another CEP.

Yes i have seen the receipts, i have seen the accounts, i have spoken to immigration and i was one of the main people who have been negotiating with Rien. I have seen him change his story many times in front of students and trip over his own words. 98 percent of language schools advertise "1 year visas". If you think that this isn;t a pre requisite for people choosing where to study your kidding yourself. Do some people abuse the Visa.. Yes, sad but true. The Thai program at CMU had a 80 percent attendance requirement. They were told this before they enrolled and told if they didnt meet the 80 percent requirement they must make it up with 1 on 1 tuition with their teacher. FACT: Immigration saw all of the Thai programs attendance records and everything was in order. FACT: CMULI cancelled all programs without warning and Rian (infront of groups of students) told everyone the reason the Visa's were not signed was because immigration would not sign them. I called immigration who told me they have no problem approving the Visa's all they needed was a letter from the University. FACT: Many students lost Visa extensions and courses due to this and ended up with overstays. CMU offering classes for those who have visa's is not in anyway helping the students who lost everything and yet refuse to pay back any of the 60 percent of the money they happily took.

This is getting more and more convoluted by the minute -- someone should write a script or novel -- what happened about media coverage?

Perhaps that Brit journalist in BKK, Andrew Drummond, could put it all on his website and write it up for the Brit papers-- he usually exposes Pattaya misdeeds, this would make a nice change . Go for it, guys!