"Fad" Fruit Diet Seems To Be Working?

sceadugenga

I've had pretty steady weight loss for the last 18 months, 140kg down to 95kg.

Then it plateaued, no loss for about 3 months with the same food intake. I stopped weighing myself for a month then checked the scales this morning... bang 4kg gone in 4 weeks.

The only explanation is that my intake of my favourite fruit, Som-O/Pomelo, a type of giant grapefruit, virtually ceased during the period my weight stabilisation due to unavailability, and for the last month I'm back on one a day.

I know dieters tend to fabricate a little but my word is my bond here, the Som-O/Pomelo is the only difference in my diet and exercise procedure.

I use the "calorie count" method for dieting, so many calories or less a day.

• 4 months later...

That is interesting as I am too fat also.

The interesting bit is that I have 10 or so pomelo trees that are bursting with the dam_n things.

I went up to 118.7 kg and last week cut out all bread (home made by me) and butter.

I now eat 1/2 a melon and a couple of bananas for breakfast, a big bowl salad of cabbage, lettuce, onions, garlic, carrot and other veges as and when I find them plus 2 boiled eggs and a Thai Italian oil dressing and some balsamic vinegar.

Fruit for a snack if I get hungry.

I drink Earl Grey tea with no milk or sugar, water, maybe one 3 in one coffee with a little milk a day and one Ovaltine 3 in 1 before I go to bed.

In the evening my wife cooks me a normal sort of meal and I drink usually 3 Sang Som and sodas during the evening.

I have lost about 3 kg in the last 9 days and my dream is to get down to around 100kg and stay close to it.

I used to be 125 kg and got down to 106 a couple of years ago before I retired.

• 3 months later...

I'm trying the pommelo addition and most of the stuff you are on Bill. I think its the way to go - but with exercise. As everyone says over! and over! eat less exercise more, and no fat or sugar

Just read this and remembered this thread from awhile ago. Perhaps this is why pomelo works well for weight loss.

"A Critical Compound

People in a study who had low blood concentrations of vitamin C and walked on a treadmill for an hour burned 25 percent less fat than people with adequate C. But a dose of C brought fat-burning levels back up to par. Why? Seems C is essential for creating carnitine, a substance that turns fat into fuel."

I'm trying the pommelo addition and most of the stuff you are on Bill. I think its the way to go - but with exercise. As everyone says over! and over! eat less exercise more, and no fat or sugar

Just read this and remembered this thread from awhile ago. Perhaps this is why pomelo works well for weight loss.

"A Critical Compound

People in a study who had low blood concentrations of vitamin C and walked on a treadmill for an hour burned 25 percent less fat than people with adequate C. But a dose of C brought fat-burning levels back up to par. Why? Seems C is essential for creating carnitine, a substance that turns fat into fuel."

Fascinating! I didn't know that consuming a good amount of vitamin C will help to burn fat. Now that I know that, I'll up my C intake level. I need desperately to drop 30 lbs.

ash@internet fax.com

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Going on a diet can be a horrible feeling - it may be okay for some but it may be unbearable for others. The good news is that there is a new way, brought in from the US about getting your body in a healthy state and losing the weight naturally.

Not only that, there are various information in this program that will help you burn fat effectively and permanently. Did you know that protein in a fat-burner? But not all protein are fat-burners - sausages and other processed meats are hormone-laden protein that will have negative effects on the body such as man-boobs, heavy waistline and others.

The other good news is that it is low-cost, but you really have to spend time reading materials to know more.

If you want to know how, do PM me!

:whistling:

That's good, and I applaud you.

The only question I have about it is...now what will you do when you reach your weight goal?

Will you go out for a big Mac and fries to celebrate? Or a big dish of Ice Cream, your favorite flavor, with Chocolate Fudge Sauce?

With the amount of weight you've lost...I don't think you will ever gain it back UNLESS you do something really stupid.

But you do have to watch what you do after you think you've reached your weight goal, because your body will re-learn your favorite fattening foods if you let it and and relax your guard and start eating the way you did before you lost weight

That's why in the long run, appetite modification, by changing what you eat regularly, is the only long-term answer.

I guess you already know that by now, anyway.

:whistling:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

• 1 year later...

What I am about to write should not take place of you going to see your doctor for professional advice.

About 6 years ago I discovered that I had high blood pressure. My doctor put me on Adalat (nifedipine) and told me in no way was I to take any grapefruit or any fruit closely related to grapefruit, e.g., pomelo. These fruits interfere with the uptake of nifedipine and can cause major problems. One of many references you will find when you search the net is http://www.livestron...-adalat-maxzide

I am writing this as I am aware that many people who are over-weight also have high blood pressure (hypertension). If your doctor has you on some form of calcium channel blocker please seek advice before starting to take grapefruit/pomelo on a daily basis.

I repeat that I am not a medical professional, please go consult your doctor.

Edit: my lousy spelling

Edited by lujanit

This morning on the BBC this warning about grapefruit and certain medications http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-20497086 which links to a more expansive story http://www.huffingto..._n_2193814.html

I know that fighting the fat is hard; trying to do it atm however please be careful if you are on medication and want to start with a grapefruit diet or adding to your diet because it might help you loose some weight.

The best advice I ever read is "eat less move more"