Meeting Expats In Bangkok

asya

For the record, I met Asya for a coffee yesterday afternon and confirm her honest intentions. Nice girl, articulate, intelligent and genuinely interested in researching the expat life, so if you're holding back for fear that it's some judgemental wind-up, put your fears to rest.

I enjoyed the conversation and told her I'm more than happy to help out again.

Oh . . and she bought the coffee :o

Xchange/Dubliner :D

Did they say expats or tourists? :D

I have a tourist visa but I have been here for a year and a half. Am I a tourist or an expat?

You are more of an ork, ala Lord of the Rings, neither living nor dead..sorta in between...technically a tourist, practically expatriated,legally <insert your personal situation with regards to the letter of the law here>.

These are my categories :

Tourist - backpackers, bob and jane on honeymoon etc...

Expat - correct visa/permit, work permit, tax resident, fixed abode etc...

Retirees - Non Imm O/A etc.. non working

Overstayers - needs no explanation

Visa Runners/Working without permit - those who aspire to be expats or retirees :o

Don't you think there are also sub-categories of expats though penelope?

1) You've got your supercharged expats on the full expat package . . salary, drivers, maids, paid accommodation etc, family living over here with them. While these are becoming increasingly rare these days, they do exist, particularly in the embassy / diplomatic communities

2) Then there's another group. Western salaries working in Thailand. Many will work regionally, for example, but choose to be based here. Some will own med businesses .. factories, consulting companies. They earn good salaries, but are deemed to be living here, as opposed to being 'posted here' .. a subtle difference. In my experience, most of these are single guys 25-50.

3) Westerners (90% guys) who used to be teachers but have managed to move into other roles. These guys are maybe working for local or international companies in regular jobs, but might be earning 2-3 times local salaries. Perhaps they are translators for example. I know some guys here . .they lived here for 10 years plus and they're earning 80-90k working in these types of jobs. They are in an interesting group all by themselves. Most of them are in their 30s.

4) Teachers. A different group of expat entirely.

Sorry, this isnt meant to be judgemental, but it seems to me there are a lot of grades.

In fact, even teachers can be split up. Career teachers working in international schools, retiree teachers doing it to stop getting bored, and sexpats who won't go home :o

Don't you think there are also sub-categories of expats though penelope?  

1) You've got your supercharged expats on the full expat package . . salary, drivers, maids, paid accommodation etc, family living over here with them.   While these are becoming increasingly rare these days, they do exist, particularly in the embassy / diplomatic communities

2) Then there's another group.  Western salaries working in Thailand. Many will work regionally, for example, but choose to be based here.  Some will own med businesses .. factories, consulting companies.  They earn good salaries, but are deemed to be living here, as opposed to being 'posted here' .. a subtle difference.  In my experience, most of these are single guys 25-50.

3) Westerners (90% guys) who used to be teachers but have managed to move into other roles.  These guys are maybe working for local or international companies in regular jobs, but might be earning 2-3 times local salaries. Perhaps they are translators for example.  I know some guys here . .they lived here for 10 years plus and they're earning 80-90k working in these types of jobs.   They are in an interesting group all by themselves.  Most of them are in their 30s.

4) Teachers.  A different group of expat entirely. 

Sorry, this isnt meant to be judgemental, but it seems to me there are a lot of grades.

In fact, even teachers can be split up.  Career teachers working in international schools, retiree teachers doing it to stop getting bored, and sexpats who won't go home     :o

Of course there are sub types :

mammal -> person -> emigrant -> expat -> teacher ->science teacher -> male -> 1 legged male etc ...

you can drill down forever. I just gave some quick supertypes. Feel free to add as many subtypes as you guys deem.

Edited by penelope

Xchange/Dubliner :D

Did they say expats or tourists? :D

I have a tourist visa but I have been here for a year and a half. Am I a tourist or an expat?

You are more of an ork, ala Lord of the Rings, neither living nor dead..sorta in between...technically a tourist, practically expatriated,legally <insert your personal situation with regards to the letter of the law here>.

These are my categories :

Tourist - backpackers, bob and jane on honeymoon etc...

Expat - correct visa/permit, work permit, tax resident, fixed abode etc...

Retirees - Non Imm O/A etc.. non working

Overstayers - needs no explanation

Visa Runners/Working without permit - those who aspire to be expats or retirees :o

I agree. I think I am little bit of everything on your scale.

I get a retirement pension.

I don't work.

I make visa runs.

and I don't plan on going back to the USA unless someone dies in my family....maybe....and then...I just might send a card and flowers.