1st Trip To Cmai Immigration

harpman88

Hi all,Im about to make my 1st trip to CMai Immigration(90 day reporting for OA visa) Does anyone know if the new city buses go there? It looks to me,judging by the signs that the closest they come is Airport Plaza.. Do the Songthaews go that far?? if so I guess it would be 20 Baht from Thapae Gate ? I know I could take a Tuk Tuk,but would prefer not to,unless really pressed for time. Any help much appreciated! Thanx much in advance,the Harpman

Hi all,Im about to make my 1st trip to CMai Immigration(90 day reporting for OA visa)  Does anyone know if the new city buses go there? It looks to me,judging by the signs that the closest they come is Airport Plaza.. Do  the Songthaews go that far?? if so I guess it would be 20 Baht from Thapae Gate ? I know I could take a Tuk Tuk,but would prefer not to,unless really pressed for time.  Any help much appreciated! Thanx much in advance,the Harpman

They do go that far because the airport is there, actually they will go as far as you want for a price. However you may have to stop a few of them before they agree to go. 20 baht is what I payed coming from the airport to the university. Problem is that at Thapae Gate you will get several that will try to rip you off asking 100-300 baht. The problem will be getting back, may have to wait a while to find a return. Could hire the songthaew to drive you there, wait and drive you back - bargain with him.

Tell him you want to go to "dtaw maw" which is the very short term for immigration and perhaps add "gly gly sanam bin" which means near the airport.

Edited by tywais

Since it is your first time, go to the building immediately to your left as you enter the compound for 90 day notices.  Visas are handled in the building to your right.

Not much of a walk from Airport Plaza to CNX Immigration.

Thanx much,Pro Thai,Especially for the tip on the 90 day building directions. my only qualm about walking from Airport Plaza was being stuck in a rainstorm,could very well happen this time of year. Otherwise,the walk would'nt be a problem at all.

Tywais: I never knew that"taw maw" was a term to use instead of"truat khon khaw muang" Very interesting. Although Im not yet fluent, I can speak and read some Thai ,so getting the message across as to where I want to go shouldnt be a problem.

Pauly:Hope my experience proves to be the same as yours as far as the Immigration staff is concerned. Thanx again to all,the Harpman. :o

Since it is your first time, go to the building immediately to your left as you enter the compound for 90 day notices.  Visas are handled in the building to your right.

Not much of a walk from Airport Plaza to CNX Immigration.

Tywais: I never knew that"taw maw" was a term to use instead of"truat khon khaw muang" Very interesting. Although Im not yet fluent, I can speak and read some Thai ,so getting the message across as to where I want to go shouldnt be a problem.

Yes you are correct in that is most of the formal term, to make it complete add "sahm nahk ngahn" (bureau) in front of what you wrote but I'm just lazy and use the abbreviation the Thai's use and that is the two character abbreviation "Dtaw maw" from (dt)ruat and (m)uang.

You guys are way ahead of me with knowledge of Thailand and its language.

Is an umbrella a "no-no" in Thailand, harpman88?

Not at all,Pro Thai,however,Ive encountered a couple of very windy,sudden,heavy downpours in which an umbrella is rendered virtually useless. It may keep your head and shoulders dry ,but Ive nevertheless been drenched from there on down on several occasions. Tywais: Now Ive also learned 'taw maw' means as an abbreviation. (hence its use on the Immigration documents, T.M.47,T.M 6,etc.something new every day! Also ,as an aside (I realize this isnt a Thai language thread) Ive found that the more Thai I learn,the more confusing and inadequate Romanized transliteration really is..(tones and some vowel sounds cant be accurately conveyed,among other things..