A A -meetings in Chiang Rai

Limbo

Mr. Erg (the one who sees cheap bears everywhere) might be a good candidate for the newly founded Alcoholic Anonymous Group of Chiangrai.

It sounds like a contradiction, but it certainly isn't: Information he could get at the very same Bo's Place (main street, seventy meters from Wiang Inn Hotel and Funny House of Klaus and Kitty).

Ask for the sympathic Dutch Erwin, who is Bo's first assistant and adviser. He can give all the information you might need. As far as I know the meetings are on Mondays, but you have to check with Erwin.

AA is a worldwide club of which the members try to help each other to stop drinking and to keep it that way. A rather religious structure, it seems to be based on certain dogma's, but it has helped many people.

And I certainly agree to disagree with Mr. Erg about the number of girls in this pleasant place. If you don't reckon the bigger restaurants, until so far it is the only place in town where ex-pats can take their Thai partners without confronting them with the usual situation. And perfect hamburgers (80 or 90 Baht).

Limbo.

AA is a worldwide club of which the members try to help each other to stop drinking and to keep it that way. A rather religious structure, it seems to be based on certain dogma's, but it has helped many people.

Sorry about crazy posting.

I have to disagree with my good friend Limbo, AA is definitely not a religious structure.

Quote:AA is not allied with any sect,denomination,politics, organization or institution;does not wish to engage in any controversy;neither endorses nor opposes any causes:

Thanks mr tayto, thanks for the comment about the religious thing within AA.

It is true Chiang Rai has had his first AA meeting, Last week monday.

From now on every week 19.00 hours. I will start a new topic on it. thanks

hello,i visit bo's place several times and it is a very nice pub where you can talk with other ferangs abouth daily things that happend in chiang rai.erwin and a couple of friends like to drive their mountainbikes so do i and we talk to start up a bicycleclub.

my wife runs a small hamburgerrestaurant (n.1 hamburger) in bandu 8 km north of chiang rai also a meetingpoint for ferangs special on sundays.

I start to make some map with trips for bicycling and also from some events ,2 weeks ago we drive with 10 people from Bandu to Doi Thung ,flat road 35 km and a climb of 14 km ,this event is organised this year on 16 oktober. last year about 800 people start the event buth only the climb of 14 km if you want more information you can always contact me. Bicyclers hope to see you soon.

Edited by Limbo

I start to make some map with trips for bicycling and also from some events ,2 weeks ago we drive with 10 people from Bandu to Doi Thung ,flat road 35 km and a climb of 14 km.

.... Jozef informed us.

How did you get back? By ambulance? :o

Would be a great idea. I have seen many foreigners on mountainbikes. I am sure many of them would be interested. Chiang Rai is indeed perfect for biking. It won't take much more than ten minutes to get out of town. In all directions and alternatives enough.

As far as I know there are three Thai bicycle-clubs in town:

The 'Chiang Rai Bicycle Club for Health' makes a recreational ride of about 25 kms every Sunday morning at 7 or 8 o'clock (sorry), starting at the old Sala Klang Kao (spelling?). Before they also rode on Wednesday evenings, but I am not sure if they still do. Foreigners welcome! Whole families, daddy, mummy and the kids, participate. Ask at the 'Four Lens' offices for more information.

The Suntour Club starts every day at about 5 o'clock afternoon in the Thanon Yedyod. They make a tour of about 30 km. Of which about ten kms of-road. They ride quite fast. Man, women and juniors.

The club of Northern Bike (Superhighway to the North, after about 5 kms at the left side) is for the real racing cyclists, living almost only on spagetti. These guys are loaded with carbo-hydrates. Hard to compete with. Average speed over 30 kms an hour. Long distances.

The last five years I have participated in about 10 mountainbike challenges here in Chiang Rai. Great not to feel yourself a 'farang' for a day, but just a cyclist among cyclists.

Limbo.

hello,i visit bo's place several times and it is a very nice pub where you can talk with other ferangs abouth daily things that happend in chiang rai.erwin and a couple of friends like to drive their mountainbikes so do i and we talk to start up a bicycleclub.

my wife runs a small hamburgerrestaurant (n.1 hamburger) in bandu 8 km north of chiang rai also a meetingpoint for ferangs special on sundays.

I start to make some map with trips for bicycling and also from some events ,2 weeks ago we drive with 10 people from Bandu to Doi Thung ,flat road 35 km and a climb of 14 km ,this event is organised this year on 16 oktober. last year about 800 people start the event buth only the climb of 14 km if you want more information you can always contact me. Bicyclers hope to see you soon.

jozef,

Hi my friend (Jimmy here)

sorry I didn't get to say goodbye last time I was down

I'll be in for a burger next time I come down

Keep the Chang cold :o

tung tsz

There is a nice route when you go to Mae FA LUANG university follow left through the mountains at the end always straight pas the golden pine resort( abouth 20 km distance) very nice and no traffic.

What has seeing cheap bears got to do with AA. I'm not trying to be pedantic, but I can't see the connection.

.... Mr. Lampard10 wodered.

I don't either. Probably there isn't one. I was referring to another tread. And to the fact that extreme alcohol abuse can make invisible things visible.

Sorry to have confused you.

Limbo.

PS. To-morrow the Kao Pansa (spelling?) starts. Many Thai people don't drink alcohol during the Kao Pansa. For three months they 'clean up' so to say.

Anyhow: The coming three months there is no social pressure to drink in Thailand.

If somebody offers you a drink you just smile and say 'Kao Pansa' and you will harvest respect in stead of disappointment.

In Thailand, go with the Thais!

• 6 years later...

How is the CR branch of AA going?

• Cycling does help to curb the urge but, I find, increases abuse subsequently.
  • Try more sports massage.
  • Use Sudocrem to reduce rashes.

May the wind be with you!

Alcoholics Anonymous meetings in Chiang Rai

Chiang Rai Group - New Location.

Tuesday – 1800 hours & Friday – 1800 hours

LOCATION: Work@Home Coffee 545 Rattanakhet Road, T.Wieng, A. Muang, Chiangrai 57000. The Work@Home Coffee shop is across the street and just a bit North of the from the First Christian Church. From the Night Market or the old Bus Station go to Rattanakhet Road. Walk North. You will pass through an intersection with a traffic light. The Work@Home Coffee Shop will be about a 100 meters on your left.

For Thai Taxi Driver: 545 ถ.รัตนาเขต อ.เมือง จ.เชียงราย (หลังศาลเจ้าจังหวัดเชียงราย)

For details, call 082-050-4439

Still helping people to stay sober and people wishing to be sober.

555! Pity that it isn't Monday, because this advice could undoubtedly determine a week!

I can't give an answer on your question concerning the AA.

I hope somebody else will do.

Anyhow: Good to see you back on stage!

I miss the occasional bicycle tour to Mae Sai.

My princess wants to pick me up there after the ride and drive

me back to Chiang Rai. It would save hotel costs, she says.

The argument of gasoline costs falls on deaf ears.huh.png

Any advice on this (put into verse if possible)?

Limbo neus.gif

PS: I still regularly have a beer at the little square in the shop of, ....of, .... of ...

Yes, that's the problem: For some reason I always forget the name of this

noble fighting cock loving Tai Jaj. Give you a call next time.

Noticed after posting that Macdon at least partially already answered the AA part

of the question. The location is mentioned and it might still be running.

The question how the CR branch of AA is going remains open.

Just two guys having a beer together ...?

Edited by Limbo

555! Pity that it isn't Monday, because this advice could undoubtedly determine a week!

I can't give an answer on your question concerning the AA.

I hope somebody else will do.

Anyhow: Good to see you back on stage!

I miss the occasional bicycle tour to Mae Sai.

My princess wants to pick me up there after the ride and drive

me back to Chiang Rai. It would save hotel costs, she says.

The argument of gasoline costs falls on deaf ears.huh.png

Any advice on this (put into verse if possible)?

Limbo neus.gif

PS: I still regularly have a beer at the little square in the shop of, ....of, .... of ...

Yes, that's the problem: For some reason I always forget the name of this

noble fighting cock loving Tai Jaj. Give you a call next time.

Noticed after posting that Macdon at least partially already answered the AA part

of the question. The location is mentioned and it might still be running.

The question how the CR branch of AA is going remains open.

Just two guys having a beer together ...?

The quartier you are referring to is called Goh Sai. Every time I step foot in this area my little princess turns up, as if by magic! I think there must be a spy in the camp. Not that I frequent so often these days, what with the demise of my best drinking partner and, the next best being gay as a lord.

I might run the gauntlet and try a bicycle ride out to cr. There's a back road that goes south to Mae Chan. Is there a back road beyond that to cr?

AA not needed these days. I've managed to get consumption down to a reasonable level. It's a question of will power and dedication to preserve compos mentis.

The quartier you are referring to is called Goh Sai. Every time I step foot in this area my little princess turns up, as if by magic! I think there must be a spy in the camp. Not that I frequent so often these days, what with the demise of my best drinking partner and, the next best being gay as a lord.

I might run the gauntlet and try a bicycle ride out to cr. There's a back road that goes south to Mae Chan. Is there a back road beyond that to cr?

AA not needed these days. I've managed to get consumption down to a reasonable level. It's a question of will power and dedication to preserve compos mentis.

As far as I understand you could compare Goh Sai in Mae Sai with the area behind

Talad Pa Korn in Chiang Rai as far as the ethnicity of its inhabitants concerns: Shan.

Give 'the lord' my regards! Without him Mae Sai wouldn't be the same ;-)

Concerning the back road between Mae Chan and Chiang Rai: There isn't one!

Otherwise Flupke would have mentioned it already (he is training for the classical

Doi Inthanon 'conquering' in February).

There are other routes, yes, but considerably longer.

Talking about the backroad between Mae Sai and Mae Chan, do you mean the

one that roughly spoken would start somewhere behind the hospital and bring

you back to the 'super' at the level of the last village before Ban Pa Sang?

It's perfect bicycle weather now. Went into the mountains yesterday with your

former colleague in Bo's and we had the 'bad' luck to pass a Lahu village.

Two hundred meters further we decided to turn back and join the New Years

ceremonies and party. The odometer stopped finally at a meager 45 thus, but

it was a good start. Have to mobilize more 'compos mentis' though.

Limbo neus.gif

1) The ride up Doi Inthanon is one of the toughest bicycle rides in this part of the world.

Known locally as “The roof of Thailand” this mountain is 2565 meter high. The name of this

arduous race in Thai is aptly “Conquer Inthanon”. It's a climb of 2300 meter over 48 km with

gradients of 15% to 18% in certain places. It takes place in February.

2) Also in February, more precisely the weekend of 4 and 5, the (in the mean time 13th version)

of the International MTB Challenge of Chiang Rai takes place. Everyday three stages, total

distance about 160 km, through the surroundings of Chiang Rai.

For information about bicycle events you can contact Khun Chompu of Fatfree.

3) Concerning the Lahu ('hunters', often also called Muser by Thai) NewYear celebrations:

They last about ten days, roughly five days oriented towards the male part of the population

and the rest of the time towards the female part (or vice versa...). The rituals are animistic,

performed in ancient ways and often under the guidance of a Shaman.

As far as I'm informed the Lahu is supposed to be the ethnic minority that has preserved its

traditions more than any other group here in the north.

It is in the mean time about twenty years ago, but I met once a National Geographic fotographer

in the Lahu village behind the Nam Tok Huay Maesai (now moved and combined with the Akha

village in front of the waterfall). He had been looking elsewehere but mades the pictures finally

here as the rituals were performed in their most authentic form.

Yesterday the celebrations were in a village with electricity, so the sound of singing, string

instruments and kaen got lost a little bit in the equipment.

I had the luck to sit next to an old man and listen to his songs. Remembered me a little bit

about the typical singing technique of the Same (Lapps) in northern Europe.

As far as I understand you could compare Goh Sai in Mae Sai with the area behind

Talad Pa Korn in Chiang Rai as far as the ethnicity of its inhabitants concerns: Shan.

Give 'the lord' my regards! Without him Mae Sai wouldn't be the same ;-)

Concerning the back road between Mae Chan and Chiang Rai: There isn't one!

Otherwise Flupke would have mentioned it already (he is training for the classical

Doi Inthanon 'conquering' in February).

There are other routes, yes, but considerably longer.

Talking about the backroad between Mae Sai and Mae Chan, do you mean the

one that roughly spoken would start somewhere behind the hospital and bring

you back to the 'super' at the level of the last village before Ban Pa Sang?

It's perfect bicycle weather now. Went into the mountains yesterday with your

former colleague in Bo's and we had the 'bad' luck to pass a Lahu village.

Two hundred meters further we decided to turn back and join the New Years

ceremonies and party. The odometer stopped finally at a meager 45 thus, but

it was a good start. Have to mobilize more 'compos mentis' though.

Limbo neus.gif

1) The ride up Doi Inthanon is one of the toughest bicycle rides in this part of the world.

Known locally as “The roof of Thailand” this mountain is 2565 meter high. The name of this

arduous race in Thai is aptly “Conquer Inthanon”. It's a climb of 2300 meter over 48 km with

gradients of 15% to 18% in certain places. It takes place in February.

2) Also in February, more precisely the weekend of 4 and 5, the (in the mean time 13th version)

of the International MTB Challenge of Chiang Rai takes place. Everyday three stages, total

distance about 160 km, through the surroundings of Chiang Rai.

For information about bicycle events you can contact Khun Chompu of Fatfree.

3) Concerning the Lahu ('hunters', often also called Muser by Thai) NewYear celebrations:

They last about ten days, roughly five days oriented towards the male part of the population

and the rest of the time towards the female part (or vice versa...). The rituals are animistic,

performed in ancient ways and often under the guidance of a Shaman.

As far as I'm informed the Lahu is supposed to be the ethnic minority that has preserved its

traditions more than any other group here in the north.

It is in the mean time about twenty years ago, but I met once a National Geographic fotographer

in the Lahu village behind the Nam Tok Huay Maesai (now moved and combined with the Akha

village in front of the waterfall). He had been looking elsewehere but mades the pictures finally

here as the rituals were performed in their most authentic form.

Yesterday the celebrations were in a village with electricity, so the sound of singing, string

instruments and kaen got lost a little bit in the equipment.

I had the luck to sit next to an old man and listen to his songs. Remembered me a little bit

about the typical singing technique of the Same (Lapps) in northern Europe.

1. Although a Shan area, the "workers" in Goh Sai are mostly Burmese & hilltribe. The Shans aspire to something higher up the food chain and, a bit further south, if they can.

2. The Maechan back road I was referring to goes via the old Chiang Saen road out of Maesai about 10kms then turns south at a place called San Tannon. Very little traffic and a good road surface.

3. I am now in the land of Brutus of Troy and cycling down leafy lanes covered with cow shit. Second only to the rides over the Severn bridge in land of Uther Pendragon.

4. Beer consumption is now a daily fact but, rather than drinking 12/15 bottles every 2 or 3 days, I now drink 3 bottles EVERYDAY and leave it there. It's a lot easier now that the Limburger has gone.