New Car Purchase

scorpio1945

I am getting ready to buy a new car (fiesta, mazda2, march, Focus. I have read somewhere that discounts are unlikely, especially with new model, but that so called freebies are possible. What has been your experience.

I am used to offering $??? over invoice so this is new.

THANKS

PS already looked at TV Motor forum but did not find anything helpful doing a search.

Edited by scorpio1945

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make a list of the so called freebies that you want and try to get the dealer to throw them in. Most dealers on a new car will throw in the first year insurance. If the dealer you are talking to does not just go to another or come on down to Chiang mai.

I've bought two here in Chiang Rai with very different freebies/discounts given.

First was a Ford Ranger pick-up, it was just before a slightly revised model came out so the manager could offer quite a generous discount package, 80k in total I think which was 40K discount, 20k 1st class insurance and 20k worth of freebies.

Second was a Toyota Yaris, only 10k discount + free 1st class insurance. The manager there said they can offer bigger discounts on pick-ups than cars.

I think you'll probably get a bigger discount from one of the less popular brands, the likes of Toyota and Honda are quite tight. Have read great reviews about the new Fiesta but a ford will depreciate much quicker than a Toyota/Honda will, if you plan to keep it for quite a few years then it won't matter but if you sell within the first few years be prepared to lose a fair bit.

Gotlost, most people go up to C.M..Perhaps they should have throw in a GPS,for you:lol:

I've never gone up to CM from CR. And no need to anyway, the dealers here can offer the same as dealers in CM.

I don't thank you would want wandrinstar as a navigator on your next flight. You would not leave the runway.:lol: Last time I looked CM was SW of CR. Which BTW is DOWN.:P

Edited by gotlost

Make a list of the so called freebies that you want and try to get the dealer to throw them in. Most dealers on a new car will throw in the first year insurance. If the dealer you are talking to does not just go to another or come on down to Chiang mai.

Talked to Ford and he said go ahead to CM. Same owner so no difference. No discount and a few little freebies. Unless Mazda gets serious then it looks like will bite bullet on fiesta.:(

Talked to Ford and he said go ahead to CM. Same owner so no difference. No discount and a few little freebies. Unless Mazda gets serious then it looks like will bite bullet on fiesta.:(

Take a trip to Bangkok and check out the deals there. The savings if any might pay for your transportation and lodging.:D

Personally I bought my car in Chiang Rai because that's where I live.

The dealer's people know me, I get my services done by accredited mechanics and I think I get better service because I bought the car there and will probably buy my next one there.

Sure, if you want a BMW or an Audi you may have to go elsewhere, but for Isuzu, Toyota, Ford et al, their dealerships are all here so why run around the country trying to save a few baht?

Just my 5 satangs worth.

• Like 1

As the Fiesta is so new and is already selling well I doubt they will offer a discount, great car though and already reasonably priced.

Khun Chokchai went from Ford Chiang Rai to Ford Chiang Mai.

He will marry the 21st of this month and I am sure that he

would appreciate to be remembered by some of the foreign

customers that he served so well.

His brother Khun Ritthajak is now in Charge of the service department.

Polite and friendly, professional and fluently English speaking as well.

With Khun 'Tai', head of the sales appartment I had the rather unusual

experience that he spontaneously went down another 20.000 in price after

I had taken the decision to buy my present car (and not had accepted the

'free' insurance for the first year). Honesty exists also in car business!

I have had, and heard about, quite some negative experiences with the

staff of other dealerships. Not only from foreigners that were

completely neglected, but also from Thai. A Thai friend, engineer and

civil servant, wasn't even allowed to open the door of a car at a big

dealership of a Japanese top brand. He was wearing flip-flops ...(?)

Three days later he bought his car at the dealership of the other Japanese

top brand, this time at the same side of the superhighway as Big C.

Tip:

A foreign friend cancelled a purchase at the same dealership where my

Thai friend was badly served because they didn't even want to give him

the smallest freebies.

He went to a sub-branch of exactly the same company, got a small discount

and the freebies he wanted. He saved 12.000 Baht by that.

He could pick up the car here in Chiang Rai at the same main dealership,

that he visited before. So check the sub-branches as well!

I'm driving my third Ford now and I will stick to the brand even if

it might not be the first choice economically .

The pleasant and reliable service at the dealership is an important

argument for me.

For my wife I will buy the Ford Fiesta, the second in my life time.

But as I am extremely ki-niau I told the lady to wait until the Euro

is back on 45 again and then tell myself that the purchase is budgetary

neutral as I can use exchange-rate profit for it. :ermm:

She checks the exchange rates every morning now (I hate myself for it).

Limbo :yohan:

Edited by Limbo

Tip:

the smallest freebies.

argument for me.

The Fiesta will be a classic car by the time you're getting 45baht to the Euro ;)

Tip:

the smallest freebies.

argument for me.

Your input was MUCH appreciated

I have a very bad experience with Ford. No freebees, even asked more money for the insurance, not interested At All!

Same with Toyota, the car seller should work for an insurance company because he insisted to sell a life insurance. 10.000 down and a lot of freebees. Later I wanted to change the model of the car because I only want a car that drives me from A to B and back. We waited for more than half hour and went back home... Nobody seemed to be interested.

In the meantime some women from Isuzu came to my house... How do they know you want to buy a car?... Anyway gave us a very good offer and we bought the car we wanted. Also aftersales is very good with Isuzu untill this time

I have a very bad experience with Ford. No freebees, even asked more money for the insurance, not interested At All!

Same with Toyota, the car seller should work for an insurance company because he insisted to sell a life insurance. 10.000 down and a lot of freebees. Later I wanted to change the model of the car because I only want a car that drives me from A to B and back. We waited for more than half hour and went back home... Nobody seemed to be interested.

In the meantime some women from Isuzu came to my house... How do they know you want to buy a car?... Anyway gave us a very good offer and we bought the car we wanted. Also aftersales is very good with Isuzu untill this time

Isuzu have excellent service, but limited product choice unfortunately.

Isuzu have excellent service, but limited product choice unfortunately.

Agree

But so has Ford and Toyota :)

Edited by cmjantje

Take a trip to Bangkok and check out the deals there. The savings if any might pay for your transportation and lodging.:D

Going to BKK is not a fun trip for me. And I hate talking to car dealers. So BKK and car dealers is bad squared.

I've been seriously thinking about a car. Will still keep the 2 motorsai, but a car or small pickup is definitely in the picture.

I am seriously looking at the Nissan March. Manufactured here in Thailand, and exported to Japan among several other export markets, I just happened to read a short article in BKK Post business section in the last week. Apparently their projections for sales have been exceeded by 4 times (5K units projected vs. 20K units actual sales last quarter since intro). Apparently they are having a hard time filling demand.

I've seen more than a few on the streets here in CM. The model I'm looking at, not the top-of-the-line model but the next one down, is about 465K THB out the door.

The only alternative for a new vehicle in this price range is a stripped down Isuzu pickup.

Any thoughts, opinions?

I've been seriously thinking about a car. Will still keep the 2 motorsai, but a car or small pickup is definitely in the picture.

I am seriously looking at the Nissan March. Manufactured here in Thailand, and exported to Japan among several other export markets, I just happened to read a short article in BKK Post business section in the last week. Apparently their projections for sales have been exceeded by 4 times (5K units projected vs. 20K units actual sales last quarter since intro). Apparently they are having a hard time filling demand.

I've seen more than a few on the streets here in CM. The model I'm looking at, not the top-of-the-line model but the next one down, is about 465K THB out the door.

The only alternative for a new vehicle in this price range is a stripped down Isuzu pickup.

Any thoughts, opinions?

Best bang for the buck in Thailand

Any thoughts, opinions?

G'day mate,

We enquired about that model this week.

Was told that the next available one would be on Songkran!

Looked at the Ford Fiesta and was told 3 months.

Saw a second hand Toyota on Tues. After getting it checked

out, told them would would take it and bring deposit the next

day. Went in on Wednesday with the money and thet said

"we've changed our minds about selling".

It's not easy buying a car here. They don't make enough to

supply yhe market in time.

Regards

Will