New Car Purchase

scorpio1945

Depends on what you want, I drove my Isuzu Dmax out of the yard on the same day and they still seem to have plenty at their Airport intersection branch.

Surprisingly they are the same price they were 3 years ago, 800,000.

There seems to be an abundance of pick ups Scea

but a lack of quality small sedans/hatches.

I think Toyota and Honda are better stocked but

the newer models just seem to fly out the door.

Regards

Will

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a couple of years I drove around in a Ford Fiesta.

Never had any problems with it and with a simple

screwdriver you could solve most problems.

Anybody wants a review?

. . . . . . . post-6305-089533100 1284084830_thumb.jpg

What surprises me most is the power of the 1200 cc

three cylinder engine in the Nissan March.

The 1400 of the Fiesta doesn't offer much more.

I think that the March is a very nice car for the city,

easy to park etc etc and fun to drive. I like it,

it breathes 'understatement'.

And very good quality on top of it!

Folksam, the Swedish insurer, rates its safety rather

good after this Achilles heel was addressed.

Those among us that are 'poorly endowed' and seek

imaginary compensation for that, will have to look for

another alternative: It is not an impressive car.

So my dear McGriffith, I would say: "Go for it!"

It is roughly 100.000 to 125.000 Baht cheaper than

comparable cars and as economic as it is that pays

for gasoline for three years at least.

The Ford Fiesta is more a kind of 'girly' car, nothing

for a guy like you 555!

Limbo :yohan:

For a couple of years I drove around in a Ford Fiesta.

Never had any problems with it and with a simple

screwdriver you could solve most problems.

Anybody wants a review?

. . . . . . . post-6305-089533100 1284084830_thumb.jpg

What surprises me most is the power of the 1200 cc

three cylinder engine in the Nissan March.

The 1400 of the Fiesta doesn't offer much more.

I think that the March is a very nice car for the city,

easy to park etc etc and fun to drive. I like it,

it breathes 'understatement'.

And very good quality on top of it!

Folksam, the Swedish insurer, rates its safety rather

good after this Achilles heel was addressed.

Those among us that are 'poorly endowed' and seek

imaginary compensation for that, will have to look for

another alternative: It is not an impressive car.

So my dear McGriffith, I would say: "Go for it!"

It is roughly 100.000 to 125.000 Baht cheaper than

comparable cars and as economic as it is that pays

for gasoline for three years at least.

The Ford Fiesta is more a kind of 'girly' car, nothing

for a guy like you 555!

That's assuming he doesn't mind waiting until Songkran for it!

W

W

Dear Willy,

How does one notice the difference between a gentleman and an ordinary man?

When the wind blows off the hat of an ordinary man he will run after it.

Does it happen to a gentleman, then he will quietly walk after it.

I have met Mr. McGriffith, so I don't think it will be a problem for him to wait a while.

W

Dear Willy,

I have met Mr. McGriffith, so I don't think it will be a problem for him to wait a while.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's lesson.

Limbo will explain the difference between a gentleman and a smart arse.

W

Dear Willy,

He just might at that Will B) .......... :D

He just might at that Will B) .......... :D

At your request:

A gentleman is a person who never would use an expression like 'smart arse'.

At your request:

A gentleman is a person who never would use an expression like 'smart arse'.

Not many Gentlemen around then I guess :lol:

................. Would a gentleman be allowed to think it though :unsure:

I never used the expression, not in my thoughts and accordingly not

on a public forum either, as I simply didn't even know the meaning of it.

I looked it up in the Cambridge Dictionary.

My interpretation is that this expression is most often used by those who

feel themselves confronted with their own ignorance and seek a way to canalize

their frustration about it towards the person or persons that, willingly or not,

remind them about it. :whistling:

Interesting also to read that the spelling used by Willy 'arse' points in

the direction that he went to school in the UK. If he would have been

American he might have used the word 'ass'. Also that I derived from the

Cambridge Dictionary. Very interesting!

In case there are still some Thai readers left on the forum: the words

'arse' and 'ass' refer to the body part you sit on.

The word is widely used, but it is slang, comparable with the Thai word 'tood',

also not directly a word that you would use at the dinner table.

I think that I speak on behalf of many of us when I say thanks to Mr. Willy for

the enrichment of our English. :jap:

Have you noticed how ferangs will drive Trucks here, but wouldn't be seen dead in one back home.Pussy Power Rules for Some. I recommend removing the Wipers, thats 2 less neighbours to take to Lotus :rolleyes:

A lot of us flangs drive Pickups because we need pickups. I know potholes that would swallow a Nissan march or Toyota Vios!

If you live in the City maybe you need a City Car.

Back home I'd drive a sort of Truck also , because I happened to need it.

I do agree with you about the 'Power of Pussy' though wandrinstar :D

Oh, Limbo. The Buildings on Fire ...... No running Now its un-gentlemanly . :)

Oh, and I guess I occasionally feel myself confronted by my own ignorance and seek a way to canalize my frustration about it towards the person or a person that, willingly or not,

remind me about it. :D

At this point, I would think we all have to be admit being ignorant of something. I certainly couldn't build a space shuttle with the knowledge that I currently possess.

I am sure that having to look up "smart arse" in the dictionary is also considered being confronted by your own ignorance. I wouldn't have guessed that any English speaker, first language or not, over the age of 12, would not know what that expression means and when to use it. However, that term is usually used against an opponent in a friendly manner, when we have been "shown up" by said opponent. The term used to describe an opponent who has been "shown up" by us is "dumb arse". But don't go look it up in the dictionary. It should be self-evident if you have already looked up "smart arse" AND you have common sense.

The good news is, I won't be needing my own personal space shuttle in the near future. The better news is, I will be running across a few smart <deleted> and dumb <deleted> in my daily routines until the day I die. Again, a little less formal education and a little more experience will carry the day. It is a good thing to be on par with, and in the company of, common men and women.

Have you noticed how ferangs will drive Trucks here, but wouldn't be seen dead in one back home.Pussy Power Rules for Some. I recommend removing the Wipers, thats 2 less neighbours to take to Lotus :rolleyes:

I haven't noticed that. Trucks are very common where I come from and the opposite is more true than the former; the opposite being that most of the "truck guys" I know at home would't be caught dead driving around in a car unless they were shuttling the family to Sunday church. All of the "manly" stuff is accomplished with the use of the truck. So, it is normal to me to see many Farang driving pickups.

Trucks are the vehicle for the independent type, in my experience. You don't need to ask somebody for help every time you move something that won't fit in the car, won't smell good in the car or would damage or stain the interior of the car. Trucks are also the vehicle for the people who provide the food, shelter, roads, bridges and other "necessary stuff" for the people of the world. Find a guy driving a pickup and you have probably found a guy who contributes to the growth of the nation. Find the guy driving the car and you have probably found the guy who earns his living consuming more than he contributes or makes his money from other people's money. There are exceptions, of course. But even when my male kin retire in the old country, they still drive trucks until they can't drive at all. You never know when you'll find a stray cat or dog that needs hauled somewhere and "Mama ain't havin' it in her car!".

Edited by kandahar

I drove a truck/ute/pick up in Australia and I drive one here.

I someone gets off categorising me as a typical... truck driving farang?... then who am I to deprive him of his few moments of happiness.

Imagine his joy if I could train the dog to sit in the back?

In most of small town and rural America, the PU is king. In Texas and nearby you need a PU to fit in. May have a BMW but also has a PU in the driveway. I think the Ford F-150 PU is the best selling vechile of all time

I drive a sports car in the US so I want the closest thing I can get without paying the insane prices over here. Same reason I drive a Honda CBR and not a Shadow..

Went to Honda and they gave up almost nothing worthwhile for the top of the line City so they do not want my business. Will bite the bullet and order a Fiesta tomorrow.

I someone gets off categorising me as a typical... truck driving farang?... then who am I to deprive him of his few moments of happiness.

I'm not trying to deprive him of his few moments of happiness. But those "moments" ended at midnight on the day he posted and now are categorized as his "memories". So, fair game from there on.

This many days later, I was trying to educate him. I thought that today was "education day" on the CR forum. Isn't it? I'm sure it is. Someone give that guy a diploma.

Edited by kandahar

In most of small town and rural America, the PU is king. In Texas and nearby you need a PU to fit in. May have a BMW but also has a PU in the driveway. I think the Ford F-150 PU is the best selling vechile of all time

I drive a sports car in the US so I want the closest thing I can get without paying the insane prices over here. Same reason I drive a Honda CBR and not a Shadow..

Went to Honda and they gave up almost nothing worthwhile for the top of the line City so they do not want my business. Will bite the bullet and order a Fiesta tomorrow.

I miss my Firebird in this country. That was the most fun car I ever had or will have. But economical, it wasn't. Economical makes more sense here and now than it did then and there.

I miss my Firebird in this country. That was the most fun car I ever had or will have. But economical, it wasn't. Economical makes more sense here and now than it did then and there.

I would have thought a Dodge Charger would have be more to your likeing Kd. Especially down in Hazard County :)

I would have thought a Dodge Charger would have be more to your likeing Kd. Especially down in Hazard County :)

Nah. The Charger was already a "classic" at that time and the needed technology wasn't there. I wanted something newer, faster and with performance suspension. The Firebird was it. That thing went through curves like it was on rails. The cops could keep up on the straightaways but fell behind on the windy-twisty asphalt roads. The Crown Vics were just too heavy in the curves. But if you ever need to know how it turns out if you pop over a hill late at night, going way too fast and find yourself at a T intersection with a huge embankment if front of you, left me know. BTW, the airbags work but they sting when they hit you. And make sure you turn your elbows far out, right before impact. I did and saved myself from getting my arms slammed into my face.

But in my even younger days, my girlfriend had a Challenger and I didn't know anyone who could keep up with her. With the tires she kept on the thing, she could always beat the Chargers off the line and in the curves. But most of the Charger guys kept extremely over-sized tires on their cars, so they could walk away from her on long stretches when both engines were topped out. She couldn't fit the taller tires on the Challenger. I learned from that. Years later, I used the same trick on my Chevy pickup with an automatic and a 454 engine. I could stay even on the start with like vehicles but always walked away after about ten seconds.

These days, I rarely exceed 80 KMH.

Edited by kandahar

At this point, I would think we all have to be admit being ignorant of something. I certainly couldn't build a space shuttle with the knowledge that I currently possess.

I am sure that having to look up "smart arse" in the dictionary is also considered being confronted by your own ignorance. I wouldn't have guessed that any English speaker, first language or not, over the age of 12, would not know what that expression means and when to use it. However, that term is usually used against an opponent in a friendly manner, when we have been "shown up" by said opponent. The term used to describe an opponent who has been "shown up" by us is "dumb arse". But don't go look it up in the dictionary. It should be self-evident if you have already looked up "smart arse" AND you have common sense.

The good news is, I won't be needing my own personal space shuttle in the near future. The better news is, I will be running across a few smart <deleted> and dumb <deleted> in my daily routines until the day I die. Again, a little less formal education and a little more experience will carry the day. It is a good thing to be on par with, and in the company of, common men and women.

No offence, but do you have any idea for what discipline we could

nominate any working class hero of this forum for a Nobel price 555?

English is my fourth language. What is your fourth language Kandahar?

I do not doubt that you have four languages under your belt but I seriously doubt that English is the fourth. More likely the second. I suspect you have miss-spoken here.

I have one language that I do well with. I have worked with natives of other countries where I couldn't find any English speakers in the workforce and did well enough learning what I had to learn of their language to get the job done correctly and safely and make lifelong friends while I was at it.

I think the Obama award showed us just how "prestigious" the Nobels are not and just how political they are. But invest yourself in such things if you need to.

I know many more common men who I respect than there are men who have received any Nobels at all. The Nobel isn't much in my book. It only elevates one or a few in each category above many others in the same category who have done work equal to, or above that, of the winners and many, many awards have been bitterly disputed within the group that performs in those separate categories. Politics and favoritism are alive and well in almost all awards, Nobel or otherwise, given for anything on this earth. That is human nature showing its faults. This paragraph is an acknowledgement of such faults and acknowledgement of the non-value that I place on awards. I have received many awards for many things in my life. They all went to the trash. I can only see them as overlooking my peers and mentors.

Edited by kandahar
  • Like 2

I am getting ready to buy a new car (fiesta, mazda2, march, Focus. I have read somewhere that discounts are unlikely, especially with new model, but that so called freebies are possible. What has been your experience.

I am used to offering $??? over invoice so this is new.

THANKS

PS already looked at TV Motor forum but did not find anything helpful doing a search.

Will try and get this back on topic.

Mazda have a promotion this month until the 19th

on the Mazda2.

Freebies include:

window tinting

govt transfer charges

comprehensive 12 months insurance

12 months licence

first service free and

car mats.

Regards

Will

You have a good point there, concerning the Nobel prizes, and

many of its winners seem to share your opinion.

In their acceptance speeches they often mention that they see themselves

as members of a team and in most cases the financial reward goes to the

institution they represent or a supporting foundation.

Concerning languages:

Once, many years ago, I went for a holiday of two weeks to Stoke Fleming,

a little town in Devon. That has been the only time that I have been in

a country where English is spoken.

I grew up in the Netherlands, about five kilometers from the German border

and when I was nineteen I went to Sweden to study. I stayed nine years.

I always had German friends and stayed alltogether three years in Berlin.

At the moment my Swedish is getting worse and worse as I don't practise it.

To write it is a disaster as I don't have a Swedish keyboard.

I regret very much that my English never developed and that I have still no

feeling for it. I envy you. You just sit down and hammer your thoughts into

the keyboard, where I have to rely on a small vocabulary and a few

dictionaries. You would be surprised how often I have to use them.

That's why I am not in favor of 'slang' words in an international forum.

I have to look them up and I think I am not the only one.

. . . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-015549400 1284258984_thumb.jpg

Limbo. I seem to recall quite a few 'Working Class Heroes' without Nobel prizes; Liberating a Country to the east of the UK circa 1944-45. I suspect you missed them as you were in school elsewhere.

I also have to look up lots of slang words too. Just to make sure I use them in the right context. Its easier with google these days. A lot of our words and slang even are derived from French or latin . 'Pompous' for example. Not Slang, but add 'Ass', 'Arse' or 'Ol Git' and maybe we have 'Slang'.

The Mazda 2 is a nice little Car will27 ;)

Ive always had a 'truck' (better known as a ute) as one of my vehicles when I was lucky enough to own a few. If I was only to own one vehicle I would most likely want it to be a 'ute' as well. They come in very handy indeed and with the dual cab options you can still seat passengers (in belts).

As a foriegner in Thailand I flatly refuse to take people in any vehicle who don't wear seat belts. Ive had Thai friends get into the back seat and when I tell them to buckle up they usually respond somewhere along the lines that they dont need to in Thailand. I then carefully explain to them that if they travel in this farangs car they MUST wear a seat belt. The only time I have taken passengers in the rear of the pick up is along the back soi to Grandmothers, part way of which is private property. Past that point, its 5 only in the pickup.

I never realised there was a stigma attached to driving a pickup.

Finally, back on topic, I have always found when shopping for a car in LOS, nearly every dealer offers something & its always nearly a little different to the next dealer (ie: one offers 'x' as a freebie and the other offers 'y'. At the end of the day it often comes down to within a few baht of each other at the end of the deal, of course theres no point having an item bolted to your vehicle if you don't want it.

The most important thing to me is buying from a place that has good aftersales service, I like to look at the workshop & preferrably have a service manager that can deal with some english for when you get one of those problems with your new vehicle. For me my thai language skills quickly break down when it comes to talking about the technicalities of the internal workings of a vehicle & my better half hasnt a clue when it comes to that sort of thing.