Motorcycling..condition Of Roads?

pete98146

I plan on moving to Chaing Mai in approx 3 - 4 years. I would love to take advantage of the lovely location and I'm curious about the conditions of the roads up in the mountains?

I'd really enjoy buying a big motorcycle and do some serious cruising.

Thanks in advance for the replys.

What can you say?The newer main roads are great but watch out for mud or rocks occasionally. You can easily get carried away with some of the swooping corners.

If you haven't already,read the gt-rider.com website David and his forum make great reading for this area.Listed are some of the best routes for m/c in Thailand.

Aside from the road conditions you should be warned that other vehicles on the road probably pose the greatest danger. If you want to ride a motorcycle in Thailand and survive then you must expect that a vehicle may hit you from any angle at any time. If it is possible that a vehicle could be doing something to endanger you, you should expect that one will...passing at blind curves so you are forced off the road...entering the roadway right infront of you without looking...you name it, they do it...

Aside from the dangers of oncoming traffic in your lane, cattle, dogs and chickens blocking your way and Honda Dream drivers never looking when they turn from the shoulder to the oposite side of the road, you had best consider riding a bike that will handle the various road conditions. I have a CB750 that I took on a ten day "Northern Thailand" motorcycle tour. Almost all mountain roads. I loved it but the others who were riding Aprilias and Honda dual-purpose bikes had lots more fun.

Hi Pete,

Been watching this one for a few days. All negative responses.

All this talk of the dangers of riding motorbikes in Thailand are real but the same danger exists on bikes being ridden anywhere in the world. Driving a car in Thailand also involves certain dangers as it does in any other country. I and many of my friends have ridden big fast road bikes in Thailand for many years and a few of them have come to grief. In my younger days back in Australia we rode big fast bikes and I lost a lot more friends to accidents then than I have ever lost in Thailand.

The roads in Thailand are great, not only in the north but in the south as well and the east.

But as any smart bike rider should know, be aware of where you are and what you are doing doing and know your own limitations.

So Pete98146 come on, come to Chiang Mai, get a big bike and enjoy the roads and the low Thb200 fines for exceeding the speed limit.

BM

You're right BigMac. If you love riding motocycle, nothing will stop you from your enjoyment. I just came back from riding up North recently, and LOVE it. I remember my mother used to said to me when I was young before leaving for school-Be Careful! That still apply in everday life. Those motocycle (or moped) accident that I hear or witness mostly due to lack of experience, and aggressive driver. Believe it or not I saw people got hit just walking in one of street in ChiangMai! Should we all stop from walking?

All this talk of the dangers of riding motorbikes in Thailand are real but the same danger exists on bikes being ridden anywhere in the world.  Driving a car in Thailand also involves certain dangers as it does in any other country.

But as any smart bike rider should know, be aware of where you are and what you are doing doing and know your own limitations.

Agree with Big Mac: similar warning & dangers exist all over the world. That is part of riding a motorcycle (driving a car.) And any sensible rider knows that!

Also my guess is that all those who warn you against it are NOT regular motorcycle riders.

If you’re an experienced rider then North Thailand is a great place to ride.

It's really not a great deal worse than anywhere else – they all have their own local hazards & warnings – you just have to stay alert & ride according to the local conditions.

So my advice is don't listen to the knockers too much, come & ride & enjoy yourself.

Good to see Dave reads this site.Realy must get back up to Chiang Mai again this year.

I agree that outside of the big towns you are generally as safe as anywhere else in the world.Its just the initial warm up period as you get used to Thailand.I prefer riding here to the Uk every time.Even in the towns.

All good posts.

I ride a motorcycle almost every day, BMW 1150RT.

I feel safer riding in Thailand then in Southren Californa becuase on the roads

at times I am the only Motorcycle where as in Thailand Motorcycles are all over the palce.

Hope you are healing well PeaceBlondie.

Thanks for all of the advice guys! It definitely sounds like one must take baby steps to acclimate yourself to the roads in Thailand.

I was looking at the map and I was wondering if a person could make it all the way from CM to Hanoi and back in one piece. I'm sure that would be a royal headache to obtain the proper visas and travel documents and naturally you don't know if what the conditions of the roads would be like.

Anyways, can't wait to retire in CM and take some trips.

Thanks for all of the advice guys!  It definitely sounds like one must take baby steps to acclimate yourself to the roads in Thailand.

I was looking at the map and I was wondering if a person could make it all the way from CM to  Hanoi and back in one piece.  I'm sure that would be a royal headache to obtain the proper visas and travel documents and naturally you don't know if what the conditions of the roads would be like.

Yep a lot to worry about here just as in any place, ride defensivley and you can enjoy riding for many years here, threee years for me daily, haven't been down yet, doesn't mean it won't happen and I wear good gear when I'm out on those road.

You get to confident here and a bike will eat you here just as it will anywhere.

Knowing the roads here is important you can go from beautiful roads to pot holes that will swallow your bike, just by going into another district. I try never to ride a roads that I'm not familar with at night.

I ride with a Thia group on weekends great guys, if they start getting a bit aggresive it will be only a few. I ride within my limitations and have nothing to prove to anyone nor do I have a death wish. There is just to much good riding to enjoy here so I will avoid the hospital bed for as long as possible.

There are time that you can really ge inot the throttle and times you had better take it easy.

The guys that I know that have gotten in trouble outride thier equipment and the road conditions a combination that will get you in trouble anywhere. These guys don't go down once they do it time after time. I guess that is thier idea of fun, more power to them just not what I enjoy.

So get out there and have fun, I have never been in a better place to ride.

pete98146

BangkokPost.com (under travel section) just posted the article on travel from Thailand thru Hanoi via Laos, and it was very exciting article. With proper visa (both from Laos, and Vietnam), anyone can travel, and I would like to try it. Also check with Gt-Rider website, and you can find more info. on traveling.

pete98146

BangkokPost.com (under travel section) just posted the article on travel from Thailand thru Hanoi via Laos, and it was very exciting article.  With proper visa (both from Laos, and Vietnam), anyone can travel, and I would like to try it.  Also check with Gt-Rider website, and you can find more info. on traveling.

Wow! Thanks for the info! Yes, that trip looks fantastic! I'll try to pull up the article on Bangkok Post right away.

Thanks for all of the advice guys!  It definitely sounds like one must take baby steps to acclimate yourself to the roads in Thailand.

I was looking at the map and I was wondering if a person could make it all the way from CM to  Hanoi and back in one piece.  I'm sure that would be a royal headache to obtain the proper visas and travel documents and naturally you don't know if what the conditions of the roads would be like.

Yep a lot to worry about here just as in any place, ride defensivley and you can enjoy riding for many years here, threee years for me daily, haven't been down yet, doesn't mean it won't happen and I wear good gear when I'm out on those road.

You get to confident here and a bike will eat you here just as it will anywhere.

Knowing the roads here is important you can go from beautiful roads to pot holes that will swallow your bike, just by going into another district. I try never to ride a roads that I'm not familar with at night.

I ride with a Thia group on weekends great guys, if they start getting a bit aggresive it will be only a few. I ride within my limitations and have nothing to prove to anyone nor do I have a death wish. There is just to much good riding to enjoy here so I will avoid the hospital bed for as long as possible.

There are time that you can really ge inot the throttle and times you had better take it easy.

The guys that I know that have gotten in trouble outride thier equipment and the road conditions a combination that will get you in trouble anywhere. These guys don't go down once they do it time after time. I guess that is thier idea of fun, more power to them just not what I enjoy.

So get out there and have fun, I have never been in a better place to ride.

Great advice: Dont ride pissed,relax and assume every other road user is trying to kill you :o