Connecting To Free Wi-Fi Hotspots

octagon

Hi. Here's the question. And, excuse me for being a little behind the technological curve. With a wi-fi capable phone, is it possible to connect to a free True wi-fi hotspot with just any SIM card? Or, do I need a True SIM card. Just how easy is it, and is it basically an automatic connection? What is the advertised speed at these hotspots? Thanks for understanding my deficient knowledge in this area.

A useful answer to the OP's question would be that they are in fact not free. You must have a subscription or a top up card to use them, I believe. If you are a True subscriber, you get a certain number of free minutes per month based on your package. For some TrueVisions packages they were offering minutes, and TrueInternet packages offer minutes. They provide you with a log in and password that you can use at any of these hotspots. Alternatively, I believe you can buy minutes by connecting to the hotspot and entering the codes from a top up card. You can buy these at 7-Eleven.

wifi has nothing to do with sim cards.

It works via a radio built into your mobile phone (or computer).

Free hot spots are thin on the ground. It's usually best to find a coffee shop that offers free browsing if you buy a drink.

Speeds are usually very fast but surfing on a mobile phone can be a bit limited.

Edited by minotaur

Free hot spots are thin on the ground. It's usually best to find a coffee shop that offers free browsing if you buy a drink.

Speeds are usually very fast but surfing on a mobile phone can be a bit limited.

Yea. WiFi works even when you are in offline/plane mode or without a SIM card in your phone, just so long as your phone is WiFi capable. Some hotspots do require credits to use though and they might require you to login

Actually, you are both right and wrong, as in order to get access to certain WiFi tariffs with TRUE, you need a TrueMove SIM card, as you book the tariff via your mobile telephone and then use the codes to log in.