Passport-photo For Visa-run

Have to do a Visa Run the 19/7 with JGs from BKK, and they told me to bring along a passport-photo.

So...I popped into a photo-store today and thought it would be a quick deal. Well, in the end I don't think the guy knew anything what a passport-picture was (this was all done in Thai since my wife was along) and no-one in the photo-store seemed to have a clue what size it should have or what the rules might be for width between the eyes, check, visible ear, and so on, like we have in Euro-land.

So when my wife pointed at the smaller size, the guy in the store a really big size, I went with middle-size of "3x4", but comparing the photo to my passport now, nothing looks right. (Since I am much longer away from the camera then in the 'real' passport-photo.

So, now the question:

- Does it have to be a real 'passport-photo' and if so, what is that? In regards of size and rules [in Thailand].

- What is it used for.

Normal Thai visa/passport size photo requirement is 4x6cm. In the old days the passport photo was larger, 2 to 2 1/4" square I believe, but as passports got smaller so did the photos. Photo should be direct front view and Thai prefer you do not smile. Blue background is normal but not usually an issue.

Same size as in your own passport.

Oki...it is about the same size (well, almost) but since I'm much further away from the camera... *sigh*

Anyone have tip for a decent photo-studio where they know what they are doing? Having a lot of people and several computers isn't a indication of workmanship it seems... (had to stop one of them from editing out birthmarks and such - gez, it's a passport-picture, not a model-picture).

How about the other questions, what are the specifications as how the picture has to be composed? And what is it used for at the border?

Edit: Thanks lopburi3, you posted at the same time as me. =)

Are there rules for proportions ('size') equally important here as in Euro-land?

I.e. if you sit too far away from the camera, you better get a new picture taken...

Edited by Zarkow

I do my own..........digital camera and run them off on the computer an A4 sheet of them at a time. My guess would be your head must comprise 75% of the photo, although unlike the UK i have never seen it laid down anywhere.

Edited by thaiflyer1

There's a Kodak shop and studio on Silom, at the bottom of the Sala Daeng BTS station. They have several selections of photos (passport, work permit, passport, driver's license) - reasonably priced. The studio is on the 2nd floor and, unlike most of the photo shops, the photographer has a very high-end digital camera, and will take a half-dozen shots. You choose the pose, and she'll touch it up in PhotoShop. Too, if you don't have a spot coat, she has a rack of clothes you can use for the pose. She'll save your photo file so you can get reprints when you need them. All in all, a very professional operation.

Same-same opposite Immi at Suan Phlu.

At least 3 shops churning out passport pix all day long.

If it's for a passport, you should tell them as they should use proper photo paper, visa photos can be printed on digital (cheaper) paper. :o

there's kodak shops everywhere. they take pp fotos everywhere in bkk. Tops, Big C, Lotus and my grandmother's house too. Cambodia doesn't give a rat's behind if it's Euro legal. I use 2 diff sized ones for thailand and no problema amigo

Re-did the pictures today (at another shop) and went back to pick them upp in the afternoon, just before cloosing-time. Didn't notice until now (since I don't look at my own picture much...) that they edited the picture more then needed (and then I mean more then "adding a suit to look proper") and removed a birthmark that I clearly have. Let's hope the VISA-ppl don't look too carefull att the picture or they will clearly see that it has been 'digitally enhanced'. ^^

On the up-side, atleast the altered picture made me look ok. :o

He,he Zaekow! A very interesting situation which happens now and again when the Thai's (with best intentions!) try to give good service!

A few weeks back the maid of serviced apartment decided that my silk ties needed a good wash - in the washing machine! :o

Still love this country!

Cheers!

Its very easy to make your own passport size photos with the Photoshop program.

Scan or download a photo of youself , crop it ,and then stamp it out so you get 8 photos on a 4"x6" photo. Burn it to a cd and take the cd to a print shop.

You get 8 passport size photos for 6 baht.

Edited by COBBER

Re-did the pictures today (at another shop) and went back to pick them upp in the afternoon, just before cloosing-time. Didn't notice until now (since I don't look at my own picture much...) that they edited the picture more then needed (and then I mean more then "adding a suit to look proper") and removed a birthmark that I clearly have. Let's hope the VISA-ppl don't look too carefull att the picture or they will clearly see that it has been 'digitally enhanced'. ^^

On the up-side, atleast the altered picture made me look ok. :D

:D:D:D So, if you've got a smile like a gummy shark and look like 'baldy man' that shop will give you a set of teeth and a rug ! What a hoot! :o

Thanks for that.......