BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
JurgenG

How To Fit-In In The Village

Just be your self. If you are a good person, you will not have any problem living anywehre in this world.<BR>Lots of smile. <BR>Be generous into a small things around your village.<BR>Active attend on activity at your village if you happen to be present at that time.<BR><BR>NEVER CONFRONT A LOCAL. IF they piss you off... dont show it to them. JUST SMILE and politely excuse yourself to leave the scene.<BR>This people eventually dont mean to piss you off, it's just our perception is different than ours. <BR>And eventually one day these people will the only people to help you with your problem around the village.<BR><BR>And just Wai / sawadee everyone. Thai loves this. If you do this everyday to everyone.. your life will be so much better and easy.<BR><BR>Good luck.<BR><BR>

Before I opened this thread, I thought, "Just be yourself", but Thequaife got there before me. Smile, smile, and go on smiling. Never get angry.

Smile, smile, and go on smiling.

Sound advice. They'll think you're a nutter and smile back in the hope you won't whip out a machete and decapitate them. :D

The success story is simple:

In Thai culture, work hard on

smiling, :P

speaking, ;)

waiing, :wai:

visiting :giggle: and (continue below)

giving (however small or little) to the elderly in the moo-barn. :intheclub:

Soon enough, you'll be the love of everyone. :jap: :clap2: :jap: :clap2: :jap: :clap2::Thaiflag:

These people eventually dont mean to piss you off, it's just our perception is different than ours. Yes -- and is it just perception when they present you with a bill for 4000 baht for a minor no-dent car scratch that should only be 1000 baht and possibly even 0 baht because it was partially their fault that it happened at all? That happened to me last week and I blew a gasket. They eventually backed-down to 2000 baht (which even if they refused to say so to me was an admission of partial culpability) which I agreed to as the insurance guy was already there and might have called the cops if I refused to pay.

The success story is simple: Yes. Do all those things mentioned, but at a certain point, you have to let them know that you are not going to played for the farang chump.

N.B. This is for Isaan but I do not live in a small village; however, most all of the persons for whom I provided 15 minutes of entertainment came from a small village.

Edited by jazzbo

Just be your self. If you are a good person, you will not have any problem living anywehre in this world.<BR>Lots of smile. <BR>Be generous into a small things around your village.<BR>Active attend on activity at your village if you happen to be present at that time.<BR><BR>NEVER CONFRONT A LOCAL. IF they piss you off... dont show it to them. JUST SMILE and politely excuse yourself to leave the scene.<BR>This people eventually dont mean to piss you off, it's just our perception is different than ours. <BR>And eventually one day these people will the only people to help you with your problem around the village.<BR><BR>And just Wai / sawadee everyone. Thai loves this. If you do this everyday to everyone.. your life will be so much better and easy.<BR><BR>Good luck.<BR><BR>

Are you cold?

I have lived in a small village 45kms from Korat for over 7 years.

Where do you live? My gf is in Soeng Sang, not in the centre, about 5 minutes outside. Would be handy to get more info from you on living there if you are in that area. A couple of months ago I went with my gf to her village, met the family etc. I was only there a couple of days but I must say it was an experience, some good, some not so good.

We got a taxi from Bangkok up to her home and the taxi driver was a very good man, he offered to stay for a couple of hours with me just to ensure all was well, plus he could translate (cost 3000 baht). We were having a few ales and the older brother started giving her a bit of a hard time for sleeping with farang. I was told that he is very traditional and basically called her a slapper. At this time I was hoping the father would step in and have a go at him but no. Mother sat smiling, father kept smiling. Other brother chastised him but when I turned to look at my teelak she started to cry. If that had happend in my country he would have been on his back in no time but being in a foreign place I was unsure where such an act would lead (ie whole family up against me) so I just grabbed her by the arm and we went for a walk.

All ended well though, no trouble. I got on very well with the other members of the family, they never asked for money. I went food shopping with them and when we got home I just gave the mother the money she spent on food for the family. I also had a few kangaroo and koala pins that I gave to the youngsters. I didn't overdo the spending on the family as I was not sure if they would think I was just trying to 'buy' their daughter/sister. I never did see much of the brother that had a problem but everything else was very good.

Takes a bit of getting used to the toilet and the bucket of water for the shower but that's all part of a wonderful experience.

I found that whilst I was there just about everyone in the village would come for a look at the farang, felt a bit like a goldfish but that's ok, no issue. I was very wary of people just wanting to know me and talk to me to try and elicit money out of me or get what they could but to be honest I think that was just my perception. Everyone seemed genuinely nice and interested to meet me.

The village visit is definitely the highlight of my travels, difficult at times, but memories I will never forget.

That's my 2 cents worth anyway. :D

... Another item to 'fitting in' is to have a good answer ready when you are inevitably asked " ... So what is it you actually do while you are in Thailand??"

... because if you cannot come up with a good answer, they will come up with their own.

Edited by jazzbo

I'm a bit surprised by the answer to this thread, I was expecting more horror stories. But I've to say it's my experience too, be nice, smile, and people will be nice to you.

Even for the "double pricing". One time I went shopping on my own, fixing a flat tire, buying fertilizer, spare parts for a brush cutter and some blue pipes, all in different shops, and went to the market too. When I came back my Thai relatives were surprised that I paid exactly the same price as them. Except for a 15 extra Bahts for the grilled chicken, but maybe it was a communication problem as the old lady explained me a lot of things I didn't really understand.

Actually the culture shock came from where I didn't expect it. My gf is very westernized, spent 3 years studying in Australia, fluent in English, very comfortable in an international community, but when she's back to her village, shes a completely different person. She's completely devoted to her mother who outrageously takes advantage of the situation. There are no stories of sick buffalo ... her parents are quite wealthy by local standard. But she's completely at Mother's service, and I'm supposed to be too, which is not going to happen. Then the arguments start, you hate my family, blah, blah, blah ....

I've stopped visiting the family for the past two month. My gf is worry, her father a bit too, but it seems MiL is happy things are back to "normal" and that she got her little personal assistant/servant back.

Any suggestion ?

The key to commercial survival in a small town or city is repeat business whether hardware supplies or a noodle stall -- They would much rather charge a farang the going-price and have you come back multiple times than gouge you once and know that there are other shops within walking distance that could sell you the same...

For me, it is the motorcycle repair guy (who can take apart and put back together a Honda 100cc blind-folded) to whom I have sent other Thai folks on my recommendation.

Don't lend money to ANYONE. That includes family members. You'll get burned. Don't Wai other farangs, we shake hands.

Don't lend money to ANYONE. So ... does that modus operandi go over well in Nakhon Binley ... Some of the younger persons might ask you for a 'loan' because they do not want to ask for money outright but they are happy to pay you back in-kind.