How To Fit-In In The Village

JurgenG

Reading all these posts is a hoot....hahahahahaaa I must be seriously bored. Waiting in a motel room in the states for my next job assignment overseas. I work 4-5 mos. and stay 2 mos. with my lady and new baby in the Issan sticks. I know when I stop working I have to figure out something to do if I stay for long time in her village.

Reading these pages I've determined I'm doing just fine. I've never talked to anyone for suggestions on anything I've done from taking care of my lady to building our house. Can I sit in the village for a year without a holiday to the beaches??? H#** no As much as I like it there and feel more and more comfortable in her village, I'll never be nor will I try to be one of the guys. I can go 2 months eating shrimp, squid and fish . But, man after awhile I dreams about cheeseburgers.

Living the dream..........hahahahaaa

Feel a bit sorry for your lady, what has she taken on sad.png , but l agree about the cheese burgers. biggrin.png

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you feel better for trying to hurt my feelings hahahaaa Naw, my lady has it just fine. Truthfully I do what I can to build good relations. I helped to gather rice and bring it in. Any time I'm there and I have work done by anybody I'm out there helping out. I go to the weddings and funerals. Had a Good Luck party for the new house that was LEGENDARY. I'm always up for drinks - on my dime of course. One Leo is my limit when I drink alone. I eat pretty much all thai food. I didn't say I eat Issan food. I'll try it but I won't eat it daily. I've learned to accept the comings and goings of people daily.I've read stories of people expecting handouts but that hasn't been my experience. As soon as the baby is a bit older we'll be taking regular trips to Samui and such. Can't really stand the beach at Jomtein.

What do some of you call your Mother in Law if she is your age. Do any of you call her by her first name ?? Would'nt it be rather bizzarre to call her MaMaa ??? Constructive suggestions only please........ WELL......tata

I hope you feel better for trying to hurt my feelings hahahaaa Naw, my lady has it just fine. Truthfully I do what I can to build good relations. I helped to gather rice and bring it in. Any time I'm there and I have work done by anybody I'm out there helping out. I go to the weddings and funerals. Had a Good Luck party for the new house that was LEGENDARY. I'm always up for drinks - on my dime of course. One Leo is my limit when I drink alone. I eat pretty much all thai food. I didn't say I eat Issan food. I'll try it but I won't eat it daily. I've learned to accept the comings and goings of people daily.I've read stories of people expecting handouts but that hasn't been my experience. As soon as the baby is a bit older we'll be taking regular trips to Samui and such. Can't really stand the beach at Jomtein.

What do some of you call your Mother in Law if she is your age. Do any of you call her by her first name ?? Would'nt it be rather bizzarre to call her MaMaa ??? Constructive suggestions only please........ WELL......tata

I call my MIL Mae which is what my wife and her friends call her but the kids call her Yai.

• 2 weeks later...

Won't go into details,but after a number of trips to the village in far NE of issan, was bored, annoyed and felt unsafe. Too many local guys unhappy you're taking the pick of the litter. Solution: bought wife a home in new development in Udon Thani city. Mil and sisters migrated too. Personally would go koo koo trying to live in the village. The daily morning blarring of the public address system was harsh enough. But the bamboo telegraph even has your bowell movements down.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Won't go into details,but after a number of trips to the village in far NE of issan, was bored, annoyed and felt unsafe. Too many local guys unhappy you're taking the pick of the litter. Solution: bought wife a home in new development in Udon Thani city. Mil and sisters migrated too. Personally would go koo koo trying to live in the village. The daily morning blarring of the public address system was harsh enough. But the bamboo telegraph even has your bowell movements down.

If you want to be happy for the rest of your life - never make a pretty woman your wife.

Helmsman that's exactly what my old man said to me as a 15 year old. He was right, but like all seeking advice, you only take in the advice you want to hear.

Second bit of advice he gave me was "as soon as you can, join a pension scheme". For some reason I listened to that and was able to retire aged 53. I thought bad advice at the time, but went along with it for some unexplained reason. Thanks Dad.

Edited by sinbin

If you want to be happy for the rest of your life - never make a pretty woman your wife.

Hmm .....I probably made a mistake back then, and will regret sooon?? coffee1.gif

Too many local guys unhappy you're taking the pick of the litter.

This is rich. As if they might have the possibility of a chance at those assorted village picks.

There is a changing and growing consciousness amongst Thai women - certainly throughout the rural regions - towards their male counterparts. Most don't want to have anything to do with Thai guys.....if that was the case, they'd rather be alone. The Thai males just don't get it.

You're right z, they don't get it or haven't been lucky enough to get a good education that will move them ahead. Heard to many Thai women say the guys cheat on them, hit them, take their money, abandon them after they get pregnant, want mia noi's, etc, etc... My wife has a list of friends back in TL asking to be introduced to a good farang. As for the village, whenever I was there, there were few women of marrying age. My wife said they all leave for better options in the cities.

Could go on at length regarding socio economics of rural TL, but everyone has their own opinions and preferences. Mine is simply that I have no more desire to live in rural TL, and all that comes with it, as I do to live in the rural west. And don't think the wife got a university degree in order to move back to the rice farm.

As for the rural guys, people are people. Many are cool, some are not. Such as the ones who fed the family dogs poisoned hamburger in the middle of the night in order to kill them and then proceed to attempt to break into the house with my then gf, mother and sisters inside. Thieves eventually ran off when neighbours were called and started to come help. Guess the thieves knew one of the women had a farang bf. Then there was the farang in a neighboring village who went to the local shop to get some more beer for their party and ended up stabbed to death.

Bad things happen everywhere, including the village. Just don't be naive and think that everyone with a smile wants you there. Don't mean to be negative, just think folks should be aware of both sides.

I get treated much the same as anybody else does around here be they Thai, English, Danish, Australian, Dutch, Belgian, Austrian, German or Swiss...

So why did all the Americans leave?

Must be an interesting village. Do any Thai's live there? Maybe that's why the Americans left?

I get treated much the same as anybody else does around here be they Thai, English, Danish, Australian, Dutch, Belgian, Austrian, German or Swiss...

So why did all the Americans leave?

Must be an interesting village. Do any Thai's live there? Maybe that's why the Americans left?

That was a quote from me I think but it wasn't just a village but the ones I know of locally which means about a 50 km radius as we are well scattered.

Too many local guys unhappy you're taking the pick of the litter.

This is rich. As if they might have the possibility of a chance at those assorted village picks.

There is a changing and growing consciousness amongst Thai women - certainly throughout the rural regions - towards their male counterparts. Most don't want to have anything to do with Thai guys.....if that was the case, they'd rather be alone. The Thai males just don't get it.

The litter is usually working as a bargirl due to the locals passing her over, divorced or children in tow. Local guys don't give 2 hoots about farangs marrying local Thai women. Chances are very high that farang will be attached/married to an ex-bargirl. Thai men do 'get it' in that they wouldn't touch an ex-bargirl. It's farangs that 'don't get it' by marrying a prostitute. Hence the reason why Thai men think us as f.........stupid. I go along with that.

Given a choice, do you think a Thai woman would rather spend a night with a 25 year old Thai, or a 50 year old farang ? The Thai guy would be more fun cuz he just wants to have fun. The farang just wants to impress her and pour out his troubles to anyone who'll listen as to how his ex wife treated him. Farang wins hands down, cuz he's got the money. Another reason why Thai males dislike us.

Edited by sinbin

Thai guys won't touch them? Right, nice cliche. Guess all the bar girls with Thai boyfriends or husbands in the background are living with ghosts. And all the girls who marry farang have been passed over by locals? Get a clue. They either passed on local guys looking for a better life, which yes involves money the local guys don't have. Or, they tried a local guy and got left with all his baggage that they now need someone to help take care of. And a local guy isn't going to sign up for that job when he can just go seduce another young unknowing girl. Your comment that most of those in the litter become bargirls is myopic. Do a drive by at a university one afternoon, are all/most of these thousands of female students secretly working as bargirls on the side? People everywhere are looking for a better life and marrying someone who has no means to provide one gets them nowhere. Quite racist to imply there is something wrong marrying up with someone not their 'own'.

Quite racist to imply there is something wrong marrying up with someone not their 'own'.

Get out of driving past universities to do your censuses, or you'll get a name for yourself. Go out into the villages and see what's what. You have your opinion and I respect that, but please don't imply that I'm 'racist'. I'm married to a Thai, so how in heaven can I be a 'racist' ? In fact where in my post do I 'imply there is something wrong marrying up with someone not their own' ? You're diggin for dirt that ain't there !! Edited by sinbin

sinbin's post an early contender for most cliched post of the year

If that's your full input on what seems to be a good debateable thread then I suggest you needn't have bothered. Edited by sinbin

Opinions are like a@sh!les, everyone's got one.

I've already agreed that if you care to go back through my post. Obviously you are an hypocrite in that you telling me to 'get off your pulpit'. This indicates I shouldn't have an opinion. If that's your total input to this thread then I suggest that you too needn't have bothered. Stick to the topic and stop bothering people who want to contribute to this debate.