It Lake Monster

zoso

This catch and release pond is commonly known as IT LAKE MONSTER-name after the owner IT- but also predator lake. Its at Ban Pong in Ratchburi Province a 2 hours drive from Bangkok.

The catfish are Asian Catfish and Red Tail Catchfish. The yellow color one is a Tambaqui-same family as piranha/pacu-and the longish fish is an an Alligator Gar-native of the USA.

Fookhat, that's not photoshopped.

I seen many huge gar while growing up on the Trintry river in Texas.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gar&aq=f

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trinty+gar&aq=f

Philnz, I've never eaten one but knew an oldtymer that lived off of them (and catfish)....guess it depends on your taste buds.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=clean+gar&aq=f

Thanks for the picks and info OP.

Didn't know they had gar here.

I've caught many alligator gar back home and they are a scream not much fight though just a constant pull against the line but watch those teeth....

Next question..........are these fish good eating??

We never did, were never desperate enough with good catfish, brim, blue gill and large mouth bass readily available. I understand they're very tough, bony and gamey tasting and although not in any way related, taste along the lines of alligator meat which I have tried but do not care for..

Looks more that your a guide trying to sell trips.. or you got loads of different friends.

Nope my guide is not selling his service. And I am lucky to be able to fish with many friends at different venues. This is what fishing is about enjoy the day fishing with your friends. Don't you?

I have many friends and not "loads of different friends". What are "different friends"?

Looks more that your a guide trying to sell trips.. or you got loads of different friends.

Nope my guide is not selling his service. And I am lucky to be able to fish with many friends at different venues. This is what fishing is about enjoy the day fishing with your friends. Don't you?

I have many friends and not "loads of different friends". What are "different friends"?

Just looked like you either got a really good social life or you were a guide taking people out and advertising on Thaivisa. I could be wrong because i dont know the time span of the pictures. Just saw you open a lot similar topics. And i have seen people here claiming to want to fish with others then later saying but you have to pay me a fee to go. If i'm wrong my apologies.

Just looked like you either got a really good social life or you were a guide taking people out and advertising on Thaivisa. I could be wrong because i dont know the time span of the pictures. Just saw you open a lot similar topics. And i have seen people here claiming to want to fish with others then later saying but you have to pay me a fee to go. If i'm wrong my apologies.

Yes you are wrong Chin is my friend and yes he has many many friends and has been fishing in many many places, they are pictures of fish I just dont understand peoples doubts maybe its jealously..

Yes you are wrong Chin is my friend and yes he has many many friends and has been fishing in many many places, they are pictures of fish I just dont understand peoples doubts maybe its jealously..

Im not jealous, just had some run in's with guides on here acting like posters but trying to sell their services. If you look at my post you see that i say I could be wrong. I was, so my apologies.

• 5 weeks later...

Just confirmed my 2 days fishing at IT Lake Monster first week December. Anyway the new pond is being stock with fishes and in the process of building on-site bungalows.

Confirmed price for Thais and farang is the same BUT ONLY Thais can book whole pond for one day at 10,000baht for LURING ONLY. NO DEAD?LIVE BAIT.

Photo taken by fellow angler fishing at Lake Monster early this month when mekong released at new pond.

mekong.bmp

Lots of foreign fish get dumped into Thai waters and occasionally escape to prey on native species.

I'm not sure how a match up with an African tiger fish would do against a native Giant snakehead. Snakeheads are lightning quick.

Aftrican tiger fish

article-1322118-0BB02583000005DC-996_646x781.jpg

Giant snakehead of Thailand.

Snakehead_head_1_Em.jpg

For the price of this place that mekong can stay there.

I wont be stupid enough to pay that much when I can catch as big for 150 baht in Gnoa Nam.

It's going to need loads of anglers to give it bait..

Hello Kenny and Roblok. This is one of the mekongs released into new pond at IT Lake Monster. Hope you guys catch one this size.

I wont be stupid enough to pay that much when I can catch as big for 150 baht in Gnoa Nam.

Hello Kenny and Roblok. This is one of the mekongs released into new pond at IT Lake Monster. Hope you guys catch one this size.

I respect you not wanting to fish there but I will be fishing there again. So am I stupid? Well I am not. I like to fish in different countries different ponds,rivers,dams and seas. And with everything in life there's a price to pay.

I respect you not wanting to fish there but I will be fishing there again. So am I stupid? Well I am not. I like to fish in different countries different ponds,rivers,dams and seas. And with everything in life there's a price to pay.

Its up to everyone individually what to do with his or her money. If you know all the alternatives then make your choice. I never judge others on how they want to spend their money. I spend a lot on fishing too (mostly on gear and crazy idea's) Personally I don't spend that much going to the ponds. Yesterday i spend around a 1000bt at ngau nam (bait and all) witch is not much compared to bungsamran, but a lot if you compare it with the average Thai or farang fishing there. So I would be stupid too. I do feel this place is a bit out of my budget for regular trips. Shadow lake is my place of choice and i could go there more then 2 times a week. I would not do that with a place like this or bungsamran (at farang prices at thai prices i would)

I have mixed feelings about catching what amounts to "pet" fish. On one side there is the opportunity to catch a species you've never caught before, but on the other side of the coin the fish has been placed in an artificial enclosure in a zoo-like situation. It's like hunting big game that are enclosed in a big fenced field.

Up in Chiang Mai there is a relatively inexpensive pond to fish that is called "Dream Park". The pond has Peacock bass, a few large Arapaima (5 feet long), common snakeheads and a variety of other species. If you've never caught an arapaima and can't afford a trip to the South America Amazon where they come from then I can see the attraction. The Peacock bass are great fighters and quite an attractive fish. And, they seem to be breeding well in an artificial surroundings. The Snakeheads are like snakeheads anywhere... tough to fool if they are not hungry.

Dream Park

Dream_park_2.jpg

Arapaima

Arapaima_1.jpg

Common snakehead

Common_snakehead_2.jpg

Peacock Bass

Peacock_bass_1.jpg

Jungle perch

Jungle_perch_underwater_3.jpg