Canon Powershot S95

Goshawk

i picked up the new high end Canon S95 a couple of weeks ago..

canon_s95.png

very impressed with it so far.. performs superb in low light.. and the function ring on the front is great.

a few low light shots i took in Bangkok a couple of days ago....

4979239456_b72ac1ce75_b.jpg

Exposure : 0.02 sec (1/50)

Aperture : f/2.0

Focal Length : 28mm

ISO Speed : 200

4979248214_e226d328cf_b.jpg

Exposure : 0.04 sec (1/25)

ISO Speed : 125

4978621225_76540e58fa_b.jpg

Exposure : 0.04 sec (1/25)

ISO Speed : 125

shoots good HD 720p video with stereo sound too.. here's one i shot last week..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0tXytY-AOo

Last year's version is the S90 which sells for THB 15,900 at Powerbuy, however the S95 gets it official launch in Thailand in the middle of October (according to guy I spoke to in Canon Thailand's marketing dept yesterday).

I imagine it will sell for a similar price.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick bit of advise needed. If I like to shoot both macro and landscape, which is the better camera, the Canon S95 or the Panasonic LX5?

Thanks.

The LX5 offers a slightly wider lens (24mm vs 28mm), which should favour it for landscapes; and in macro mode it can focus as close as 1cm, compared to 5cm with the S95.

Attached was taken with the LX3. I could have got closer, but didn't want to! I sold my DSLR macro lens and flash because I was getting better results from the LX3.

Having said all that, I am sure either camera would serve you well. If you can, have a play with each of them and see which you prefer to use.

post-3752-068419600 1286680222_thumb.jpg

Quick bit of advise needed. If I like to shoot both macro and landscape, which is the better camera, the Canon S95 or the Panasonic LX5?

Thanks.

The LX5 offers a slightly wider lens (24mm vs 28mm), which should favour it for landscapes; and in macro mode it can focus as close as 1cm, compared to 5cm with the S95.

Attached was taken with the LX3. I could have got closer, but didn't want to! I sold my DSLR macro lens and flash because I was getting better results from the LX3.

Having said all that, I am sure either camera would serve you well. If you can, have a play with each of them and see which you prefer to use.

That's quite stunning. Thank you.

Don't tease me with that, you guys. :lol:

That is the one drawback that I have with my Pentax W30. My friend who has the newer Pentax W90 says the same thing. Another friend who has a Canon waterproof camera says it has good, low light capabilities. Because I'm often wading in rivers or spending time around water I NEED a waterproof camera. But, the obvious advantages of the Canon S90 are quite noticeable in the pictures shown here.

Don't tease me with that, you guys. :lol:

That is the one drawback that I have with my Pentax W30. My friend who has the newer Pentax W90 says the same thing. Another friend who has a Canon waterproof camera says it has good, low light capabilities. Because I'm often wading in rivers or spending time around water I NEED a waterproof camera. But, the obvious advantages of the Canon S90 are quite noticeable in the pictures shown here.

Sony TX5 is supposed to be very good Ian. Pretty much MIL-STD 810F, around 11,000 Baht.

fairly sure either will suit your needs.. but like hughden says, fiddle around with them both in a store & see which one feels right in hand to you...

here's a bug i snapped in the garden with the Canon S95

5068679617_542d511f68_z.jpg

'

this is Huay Tung Tao lake with the S95 also

5030719975_fd2c026548_z.jpg

my honest opinion ? Go with Canon.. (but i would say that wouldn't i... ;) )

Ummm . . . Goshawk, if I get this thing will you show me how to use it? :lol:

This is the best I ever achieved. A mates sportfisher in Bermuda, big fancy thing it is. Camera is an HP R967, set to errrr . . . take photos. Automatic I guess.

post-62129-069881500 1286794104_thumb.jp

Edited by astral
No need to quote the entire post. Just pick out the relevant points, please - Astral

Thanks for posting the photos .... excellent!

I've been dithering over the S90 v LX3 decision for so long the S95 and the LX5 are now out!

Think I'll go for the LX5 - but only because the S95 seems to be a bit too small for man-sized hands and it has a nicer hand grip. But I've been so pleased with my Canon G7 I may go for the S95 .... and then there's the nice control ring on the front ..... but I want a hot shoe ..... so LX5 it is ..... or perhaps .....:blink:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It must be around nine months since I had my beloved Canon Powershot G7 stolen and I think I am now ready to buy a new camera and re-start my hobby.

I was Googling reviews on the Powershot S95 and came across this thread.

The price in Pattaya is now 15,900 Baht, which, frankly is more than I was planning to spend, but all the reviews are so superlative that I am sorely tempted.

Anyone have any views how the S95 would match up to my old G7, which admittedly is now a few years out of date?

I might take the plunge next week. It is either a 'cheapo' little IXUS 130IS at around 8,000 Baht or the S95 at double the price.

Decisions, decisions......

It must be around nine months since I had my beloved Canon Powershot G7 stolen and I think I am now ready to buy a new camera and re-start my hobby.

I was Googling reviews on the Powershot S95 and came across this thread.

The price in Pattaya is now 15,900 Baht, which, frankly is more than I was planning to spend, but all the reviews are so superlative that I am sorely tempted.

Anyone have any views how the S95 would match up to my old G7, which admittedly is now a few years out of date?

I might take the plunge next week. It is either a 'cheapo' little IXUS 130IS at around 8,000 Baht or the S95 at double the price.

Decisions, decisions......

You can still get it from Pix-one now for 12 600 baht !

Pix-one

So why pay more ?

:ermm::blink::o

Pix-one

So why pay more ?

Because there is no Pix-one in Pattaya and I have no idea of their locations in Bangkok. We only Have Photo hut here and they still sell it for the higher price. Maybe if I wait a bit the price will come down.

Pix-one

So why pay more ?

Because there is no Pix-one in Pattaya and I have no idea of their locations in Bangkok. We only Have Photo hut here and they still sell it for the higher price. Maybe if I wait a bit the price will come down.

But Mobi, you normally go to BKK at least one time every month. They have shops in Central Pinklao, The Mall Thaprha, Future Park Rangsit and Bangyai City.

Go to "Contact Us" in the link above and you get detailed information!

And good luck with your new camera, we are looking forward to see you posting some photos here!

:D:):D

But Mobi, you normally go to BKK at least one time every month. They have shops in Central Pinklao, The Mall Thaprha, Future Park Rangsit and Bangyai City.

Go to "Contact Us" in the link above and you get detailed information!

And good luck with your new camera, we are looking forward to see you posting some photos here!

:D:):D

Not these days Sven. Last month I did go to see my doc but was at the hospital at the crack of dawn for blood tests, saw my docs and was back on the road to Pattaya in the afternoon.

All those locations are right out in the boon docks and I would get hopelessly lost even trying to find them, except perhaps for Future Park Rangsit, which is still a hefty drive from central Bangkok.

Anyway I was wrong, there are loads of different camera shops in Tuk Com, Pattaya but they all had the S95 at 15,990 except one which was selling it for 14,500 (after I knocked the price down from 14,990.) So it really wasn't worth all the trouble of driving to Bangkok and then getting lost to save 2,000 Baht , most of which would have gone on fuel and food anyway.

Besides, Once I had seen it I fell in love with it. :)

So I am now the proud owner of a new Canon S95 and it takes the most remarkable snaps I have ever seen. It is far better than the camera that was stolen and I am really happy with it.

Watch this space for some pics ;)