90 Day Visa

Hi, I have a couple questions regarding my upcoming stay in Thailand. I am a 25 year old American, and will be volunteering in and touring Thailand from 9/21/05 -12/20/05. I have purchased my airline ticket already.

I am a little confused about whether I need a visa. I will not be in a business, so I don't think I could get the 90 day business visa.

I have heard that I can go as a tourist without a visa and then do "visa runs" every 30 days. But how can I do a "visa run" if I don't have a visa? Or is there a way to get a tourist visa for 30 or 60 days and then do the "visa run"?

And most importantly, how will I be allowed into the country upon arrival if Immigration officials see that I am staying for 90 days? Or is it not a problem what my return ticket says, as long as I do the requisite "visa runs"?

Thanks in advance for your help!

As said get a tourist visa first. Without that you may not even get on the aircraft without a confirmed onward ticket within the 30 days allowed for visa free entry.

The so called visa runs are of three types. One has a multi entry visa and goes to obtain another entry. The second has no visa and crosses the border to obtain a visa free entry stamp of 30 days. Really a border run. The third goes out to a foreign country to obtain a visa at a Consulate and returns with that.

The easiest way for you to stay longer is to apply for a tourist visa at a Thai consolate, with a double or tripple entry. With a triple entry you can stay in country with one 30 day extension, then make a visa border run whicthier are several services that will accomodate yor for about $50.00 U.S. You can do this two times with a double entry and three times with a triple entry.

You want to be a little careful with the "volunteering in" part of the program. Some volunteers were required to get work permits in relation to tsunami relief. Better do a little homework on that as it could be bigger trouble than the visa issues. Many on this board are much more qualified than I to decipher the often bizarre and contradictory structure of work permits so you might want to post the question seperately for a more accurate assessment.

Get the tourist visa with multiple entries.

When I was in Los Angeles, I got a 6 month tourist visa for $75.

I was issued on 2 Feb and Expired on 1 Aug.

It came with 3 entries.

This is how the tourist visa in Laos works.

You get a tourist visa for 90 days (cuz thats all they will give you in Laos) with 1 entry (1000 baht).

60 days later you have to go to the border, leave, and come back. Thats when you use your 1 re-entry. Immagration will stamp your passport showing you re-entered the country and put an expiration date of 30 days from the day you re-entered. That will be a total of 90 days.

The re-entry into Thailand is free but to get in and out of the country where you do your border run cost money. How much depends on the country. Myanmar is only $5 or 200 baht. Cambodia is a 1000 baht (I think).

At that point, you have to leave the country, go to a Thai embassy, and get a new visa.

Or, you can get a 30 day extension for 1900 baht.

Personally, I prefer to pay 1000 baht in Laos for a 90 day visa than to pay 1900 baht in BKK for a 30 day extension.

That statement might confuse the OP.

What you got was an entry permit with multiple entries and 6 months validity.

The Visa ( which is what you get when you enter Thailand) is for 60 days only

That statement might confuse the OP.

What you got was an entry permit with multiple entries and 6 months validity.

The Visa ( which is what you get when you enter Thailand) is for 60 days only

Got that backwards. :o

You get a visa at the Consulate valid for a set number of entries (in this case 3). When you enter Thailand you use that visa to get a 60 day entry permit (permitted to stay) stamp for each entry allowed by the visa.

What may confuse is calling it a six month visa - the visa can be used at any time during a period of six months from issue would be better. Each entry will only receive a 60 day permitted to stay stamp (extendable 30 days).

You are right that everyone gets this wrong and it would be nice to just agree and forget it but if we don't define a difference we run into other problems understanding visa validity date or some other matter. To make matters worse they now can issue a visa inside Thailand so the old "visa outside" mantra is no longer fully valid. Don't like to be nit picking but these small things can lead to larger errors as I am sure you are aware.