6 Hours In Bangkok Airport

jkzero

I overnite at Swampy regularly for the same reason.

I suggest that if you WANT to sleep, there are heaps of upholstered seats to curl up on, on all levels.

I usually try and get a copy of the Nation, or Bangkok Times, fill in time.

If you are feeling like a feed, go to the Magic Food Point, near gate 8 on the 1st/bottom level.

Great place, cheap as, for good Thai tucker, avoid the usual airport rip off outlets..

You will need some Baht, just inside the door to the left, you can buy coupons to use for purchases at the food counters.

Read ya paper, or woteva.

On the 2nd level it is quiet and you should be able to find a good spot to kip.

To save time, try for a spot on the departure level, a bit noisy, but you are close to check in areas.

Good luck, PM me if you want more info.

Edited by Zpete
  • Like 1

I agree with most of what Zpete wrote. The food court on Level 1 has decent food for 30-50 baht. I'm pretty sure it's open 24 hours.

The few times I've need to spend a few middle-of-the-night hours in the airport, I've always found a full row of soft seats in the Level 4 departure/check-in area. Never found it very noisy before 5:00am.

enjoy your nap!

I overnite at Swampy regularly for the same reason.

I suggest that if you WANT to sleep, there are heaps of upholstered seats to curl up on, on all levels.

I usually try and get a copy of the Nation, or Bangkok Times, fill in time.

If you are feeling like a feed, go to the Magic Food Point, near gate 8 on the 1st/bottom level.

Great place, cheap as, for good Thai tucker, avoid the usual airport rip off outlets..

You will need some Baht, just inside the door to the left, you can buy coupons to use for purchases at the food counters.

Read ya paper, or woteva.

On the 2nd level it is quiet and you should be able to find a good spot to kip.

To save time, try for a spot on the departure level, a bit noisy, but you are close to check in areas.

Good luck, PM me if you want more info.

I did that once and walked around and around and around. :crying:

Me too! It wasn't at night (early evening) but the next time I booked a hotel Suvarnabhumi Grand Residence, booked it on Agoda, 600 baht I think including pick up and drop off, it's about 10 minutes from the airport, very worth while, shower, coffee, TV, chill out for a few hours then back to the airport, nice helpful staff, modern clean rooms, they check your outbound flight as you check in and call you in plenty of time for you to get ready.

My flight from Chiang Rai got in at around 23:00 and the London flight left at around 07:00 the next morning.

I'd recommend it, I've spent enough hours wandering around airports.

Sorry, it's great residence

http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/bangkok/great_residence_suvarnabhumi_hotel.html

Edited by bifftastic
  • Like 2

You can rent a room within the Airport for 4 hrs. They are run by Louis Taverns and situated in the International terminal Airside if arriving from Overseas you can go there and clear immigration later assuming that any luggage is checked to final destination. However they are quite expensive.

In general it would help if people could describe the type of connection they have (Int'l<-->Int'l, Int'l-->Dom, Dom-->.Int'l), the airline(s), checked bags (Y or N), time(s) of day in order to get a decent set of recommendations.

I'm guessing the OP is on an Int'l --> Dom connection at BKK and has checked bags so it is advisable to clear Immigration upon arrival (going to the air-side Louis Tavern day-room facility is not recommended for this type of connection as some report Immigration asks why you delayed, and your bags end up who knows where). Pick up your checked bags, then clear Customs. You now can go to a nearby hotel, or stay at the airport. At the airport you'll have land-side access at levels 1: (Magic Point Food Court, 7/11-type min-mart) which has a few seats, 2: (Arrivals) quite busy, again a few seats, 3: which has some restaurants, store, food outlets and a few seats, and 4: (Departures) which is where you will check in in the AM. There are a lot of seats here, and there should be quite a few people overnighting here.

The quietest part of the airport tends to be the eastern end (to the left if you are standing outside, in front of) the main passenger terminal building, which is the area used for Domestic arrivals (door A, level 2) and Domestic departures (again, level 4).

The SARL rail-link is not an option for the OP based on their arrival/departure times.

Finally, there are quite a few similar posts in the "Suvarnabhumi Airport" sub-forum here so maybe have a look through there for other ideas and nearby hotel recommendations if you decide on that option.

thanks. everyones been real helpful!! it's a international flight in and a domestic connection, i will have to clear customs (as stated in first post).

You have not been specific about your flights but you should be aware that if you are connecting to Chiang Mai or Phuket with Thai you can check your bags through and clear customs at final destination unless you are on a low cost airline with no transfer facility. If traveling Thai or a Star Alliance partner you can also clear immigration in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai. Alternatively if your bags are checked through you can delay passing through immigration until a short time before the domestic departure. In fact there is a separate immigration desk close to the domestic departure gates which is normally very quiet you just follow the signs to domestic transfer

I know I have done this on a number of occasions.

cheers Zpete - great tips.

how's the wifi situation?!

Ahhhhhhhhhh...... WiFi.... essential.

Yeah, I look for my usual spot.

Level 2 along the left hand end, there is a phone where I have been able to plug my power lead in.

I always carry a universal adapter, "Slazenger " brand, use it in any country.

Best tho', have a twin pin US style double adapter, as used in Thailand, unplug the phone and use d/adapter, don't forget to plug the phone back in.

Use the adapter in coffee places that have internet access and all plugs are in use, ask summun to let you plug yours in using the adapter.

The WiFi is good at this spot, there are lots of other possible hotspots, hope not too many read and use this info........LOL

Upholstered seats, quite comfy.

Coffee bars adjacent, good spot.

Wish ya luck, all this was OK earlier this yaer.

thanks once again Zpete, I will be following your advice.

re: airlines.. i'm cheap and skanky n have no doubt i will need to clear customs in bkk.

LOL, join the club...... hehe

Just a thought, I may have level wrong for WiFi, mite be level 3.

Hope it has not been secured, has been open for 4 years up to early this year.

Edited by Zpete

You can rent a room within the Airport for 4 hrs. They are run by Louis Taverns and situated in the International terminal Airside if arriving from Overseas you can go there and clear immigration later assuming that any luggage is checked to final destination. However they are quite expensive.

expensive and lousy,I do not think,they change linens every time?

wi-fi? - they have free wi-fi spots,you have to get coupon from info counter,valid...15 mins.

in some coffeeshops you will be allowed to use their hotspot,I do not remember names,and my experience is outdated,may be somebody else can come with advice?;

better solution:use your mobile as modem and connect through GPRS.

You can spend some time in massagesaloon!there are many available.

I did that once and walked around and around and around. :crying:

Me too! It wasn't at night (early evening) but the next time I booked a hotel Suvarnabhumi Grand Residence, booked it on Agoda, 600 baht I think including pick up and drop off, it's about 10 minutes from the airport, very worth while, shower, coffee, TV, chill out for a few hours then back to the airport, nice helpful staff, modern clean rooms, they check your outbound flight as you check in and call you in plenty of time for you to get ready.

My flight from Chiang Rai got in at around 23:00 and the London flight left at around 07:00 the next morning.

I'd recommend it, I've spent enough hours wandering around airports.

Sorry, it's great residence

http://www.agoda.com...humi_hotel.html

Many thanks for this information. Very useful for the future when I have friends who often have many hours to kill between flights. Usually they drive in to bangkok to see me, but if I'm not there this is a great and cheap solution.