The 30 Baht Card,Is It All Its Cracked Up To Be?

MAJIC

We Ex Pats hear a lot about the so called 30 baht Medical card,

and I am wondering what are the ins and outs of it all?

Some say it covers Thais to see a Doctor free of charge and cheap Medication only,

While other Thais claim it covers everything,Hospitisation,Operations,etc

With nothing to pay?

I have also heard from 2 Ex Pats that as a Farang Husband of a Thai they also are entitled to the said card,Frankly I find this hard to believe.

My Wife always wants Private Medical Insurance,although she has the 30 baht card.

Any Members know anything about this subject?

I don't know if it's exactly the same thing - the "30 Baht card" - but my wife, as a Government school teacher, is covered by a medical scheme under which she sees doctors at a specific hospital for regular check-ups and follow-up treatment; eyes, "women's problems", general medical problems etc. She pays only for any medication prescribed.

I am now included under this scheme, as her husband, and have found no difficulties related to my nationality, although I've made little use of it so far. But I have sufficient confidence in the scheme that I've been able to cancel my (expensive) medical insurance - if it's good enough for my wife, it's good enough for me.

I know of one other foreign husband - whose wife is a retired government teacher - who has been treated for skin cancer under the same arrangement and he was VERY impressed with the speed & quality of his treatment. Treatment started a week after initial diagnosis and he has regular follow-up examinations.

I don't know if it's exactly the same thing - the "30 Baht card" - but my wife, as a Government school teacher, is covered by a medical scheme under which she sees doctors at a specific hospital for regular check-ups and follow-up treatment; eyes, "women's problems", general medical problems etc. She pays only for any medication prescribed.

That's strange. As *ANY* legally employed person (including foreigners) in Thailand, she would be covered by social health insurance, meaning nothing would be due for either treatment or medications.

Typically you pick a hospital as your main place, then no money is due. If you get treatment elsewhere you'd need to pay first, keep the bills and then file them.

To answer the OP: The fee for the 30 baht card treatment is... (wait for it)... 30 baht. Though the care provided doesn't seem to be of the same standard as social insurance for employees. (with some exceptions I guess)

[To answer the OP: The fee for the 30 baht card treatment is... (wait for it)... 30 baht. Though the care provided doesn't seem to be of the same standard as social insurance for employees. (with some exceptions I guess)

Wrong....the fee for the 30 Baht card is....wait for it 0 baht. It was 30 baht under Taksin but with Ahtitsit things are much cheaper :whistling:

I have a feeeling my mentioned I could get onto this scheme?? does anyone know? She does pay for some sort of medical cover every year its a few thousand baht and goes to a hospital near Seri centre or whatever Seri is now called ........ Paradise Park?

When my wife was diagnosed with cancer, at a private hospital, she decided to take advantage of her 30 Baht card and was referred to a government hospital. She had surgery and went through a course of radiotherapy at absolutely no cost. However, the medicines available under the scheme are quite limited. For example, they would not provide zinc, fluoride, oral anasthetic, etc. We bought those ourselves. However, these items are not part of standard treatment at the government hospitals here. That is, there are basic medicines which are prescribed under the scheme. If you want anything special you must buy it yourself.

I do not have any cover under this scheme. I have coverage provided by where I work and also social (in)security coverage which I pay into each month.

I understand that if you are married to a civil servant, then you are covered by your wife's/husband's health insurance scheme. This is different to the 30 Baht scheme (which also goes under various other names such as gold card scheme, etc).

I have a feeeling my mentioned I could get onto this scheme?? does anyone know? She does pay for some sort of medical cover every year its a few thousand baht and goes to a hospital near Seri centre or whatever Seri is now called ........ Paradise Park?

I have made the same inquiry when my Wife and our two children registered for the scheme, they only pay 30 baht for each visit to the government hospital. I as a Farang am ineligible for the 30 baht card but as the UK and Thailand have a mutual agreement I am registered at my local hospital and only have to pay for medicine, consultation and treatment are free. However we all have to pay the extra cost when we opt for a private room for a stay in the hospital. I believe this only applies to the State run hospitals.

This is particular useful if you live near a good local hospital, as the standards vary from one hospital to another.

Hope this helps.

Nibor.

In order to qualify for a gold card (it isn't a 30 Baht card anymore, it's free) you need to be resident on a blue tabien bahn. This means you need to have permanent residency. You do not need to be Thai.

Everyone in my family (except for me) has gold cards, and everything except for optional medications are covered at no cost as long as you go to your designated government hospital. The queues are long, and the care is basic, but it is free. There is no other requirement other than to be permanently living in Thailand to qualify.

THere is confusion over health care here.

THere are at least three schemes:

The Gold card scheme free to all thais. (was 30baht)

Social Security which entitles limited private health care....but is still really good

Government scheme which covers much more and also covers family

Social Security which entitles limited private health care....but is still really good

Yes Harry is correct.

1. The Universal coverage scheme (also called the gold card scheme) is overseen by the National Health Security Office and was formerly known as the 30 baht project. Care is now free for a patient registered with his/her local health service. Both public and some private hospitals participate in the scheme, and receive an annual capitation payment from the NHSO for each enrolled member. The house registration document is used to establish eligibility. Care is fairly comprehensive but there have been complaints about uneven quality and attempts by a few local doctors to demand illicit payments for care. Bottom line is that it is a better scheme than most people on this forum think. I was not aware that there was a reciprocal health arrangement with the UK that allows use of this scheme and would be interested to see proof of this (it would be a good idea).

http://www.nhso.go.th/eng/index_main.jsp

2. The Social Security Scheme (in Thai bpragan sangkhom) covers people who pay employment-based contributions and is administered by the Social Security Department of the Ministry of Labour. Many westerners join this scheme, and coverage can be maintained after employment has ended by paying a modest monthly contribution. A member normally has a choice from a short list of local public and private hospitals Coverage is fairly comprehensive, but a private hospital may have different tracks for SSS and private patients.

http://www.sso.go.th/wpr/eng/index.html

3. The Civil Servant Medical Benefits Scheme is financed from general tax revenues and covers civil servants and their dependents, including foreign spouses (this would apply to the school teacher example). The scheme is overseen by the Comptroller General Department of the Ministry of Finance. Treatment is limited to public hospitals but members are rumoured to enjoy preferential treatment so that this may be in a single rooms. Again the package is pretty comprehensive.

The original intention when the policy to extend low cost care to the whole population was introduced in 2001 was to move towards a single unified scheme. However this was opposed by several powerful interest groups largely on the basis that this would worsen the care available to SSS and CSMBS members. Current policy is to move towards harmonisation of the schemes so that the care packages and reimbursement mechanisms become more similar. At the moment they are all slightly different and each scheme offers advantages in certain areas. See this web article for a brief summary:

http://www.socialsecurityextension.org/gimi/gess/ShowWiki.do?wid=276

Edited by citizen33
  • Like 1

In order to qualify for a gold card (it isn't a 30 Baht card anymore, it's free) you need to be resident on a blue tabien bahn. This means you need to have permanent residency. You do not need to be Thai.

Everyone in my family (except for me) has gold cards, and everything except for optional medications are covered at no cost as long as you go to your designated government hospital. The queues are long, and the care is basic, but it is free. There is no other requirement other than to be permanently living in Thailand to qualify.

you do not need to be a permanet residency you just need to have an address which is registed on the thai system to you ie yellow book

Yes Harry is correct.

1. The Universal coverage scheme (also called the gold card scheme) is overseen by the National Health Security Office and was formerly known as the 30 baht project. Care is now free for a patient registered with his/her local health service. Both public and some private hospitals participate in the scheme, and receive an annual capitation payment from the NHSO for each enrolled member. The house registration document is used to establish eligibility. Care is fairly comprehensive but there have been complaints about uneven quality and attempts by a few local doctors to demand illicit payments for care. Bottom line is that it is a better scheme than most people on this forum think. I was not aware that there was a reciprocal health arrangement with the UK that allows use of this scheme and would be interested to see proof of this (it would be a good idea).

http://www.nhso.go.t.../index_main.jsp

2. The Social Security Scheme (in Thai bpragan sangkhom) covers people who pay employment-based contributions and is administered by the Social Security Department of the Ministry of Labour. Many westerners join this scheme, and coverage can be maintained after employment has ended by paying a modest monthly contribution. A member normally has a choice from a short list of local public and private hospitals Coverage is fairly comprehensive, but a private hospital may have different tracks for SSS and private patients.

http://www.sso.go.th.../eng/index.html

3. The Civil Servant Medical Benefits Scheme is financed from general tax revenues and covers civil servants and their dependents, including foreign spouses (this would apply to the school teacher example). The scheme is overseen by the Comptroller General Department of the Ministry of Finance. Treatment is limited to public hospitals but members are rumoured to enjoy preferential treatment so that this may be in a single rooms. Again the package is pretty comprehensive.

The original intention when the policy to extend low cost care to the whole population was introduced in 2001 was to move towards a single unified scheme. However this was opposed by several powerful interest groups largely on the basis that this would worsen the care available to SSS and CSMBS members. Current policy is to move towards harmonisation of the schemes so that the care packages and reimbursement mechanisms become more similar. At the moment they are all slightly different and each scheme offers advantages in certain areas. See this web article for a brief summary:

http://www.socialsec...Wiki.do?wid=276

Thanks for taking the time to post the links above!

you do not need to be a permanet residency you just need to have an address which is registed on the thai system to you ie yellow book

Yes this is what my wife was trying to explain to me............ so do i go to ANY hospital thats opted into this scheme whats the procedure? do I have to register with them?

Many thanks to Members for their invaluable help up to now,its much appreciated.

Problem with our Thai wives seems to be the usual,scared of facing authority,so its much easier for them to tell us "You Farang cannot get"

Please keep your valuable Info coming!

The 30baht card is free and also avalible to Farang Husbands who have a address you do NOT need to be on any blue book as you can not, I have used my card when i broke my wrist treatmentt was 1st class

You can be on the Blue Book.

I have made the same inquiry when my Wife and our two children registered for the scheme, they only pay 30 baht for each visit to the government hospital. I as a Farang am ineligible for the 30 baht card but as the UK and Thailand have a mutual agreement I am registered at my local hospital and only have to pay for medicine, consultation and treatment are free. However we all have to pay the extra cost when we opt for a private room for a stay in the hospital. I believe this only applies to the State run hospitals.

This is particular useful if you live near a good local hospital, as the standards vary from one hospital to another.

Hope this helps.

Nibor.

If Thailand and the UK have a reciprocal agreement, then someone better hurry up and tell the NHS!

I don't think it exists

Reciprocal NHS services overseas

No Thailand there....

Yes Harry is correct.

http://www.nhso.go.t.../index_main.jsp

http://www.sso.go.th.../eng/index.html

http://www.socialsec...Wiki.do?wid=276

Thank you very much for that information

Hope this helps.

Nibor.

If Thailand and the UK have a reciprocal agreement, then someone better hurry up and tell the NHS!

I don't think it exists

No Thailand there....

Agreed,

Never heard of a Reciprical agreement with the UK NHS and Thailand.

However Thai Spouses living in the UK,whether Resident or on a Settlement Visa are Entitled to NHS care.

The only agreements I believe in existance is EU countries and Commonwealth Countries,and certain others.

Perhaps?someone knows different?

Only reciprical agreement with Thailand and the UK as far as I know of is: an Extradition Treaty!

Edited by MAJIC

Hope this helps.

Nibor.

I don't think it exists

No Thailand there....

Hi Samran,

I stand corrected and will take myself off to a quiet corner and give myself a good talking too. I don't know how it works then, but this is the second Thai State hospital I have registered with. They ask for a copy of my passport, then give me a registration card and thereafter I only pay for medicine. I assumed it was because of some agreement but apparently not, perhaps somebody else can shed some light on the matter.

Nibor.

• Like 1

What Citizen33 said!! Good info, as always.

Not all employees are covered by social security, as stated by one post. Some foreigners may need private health insurance. Teachers at private schools come to mind.

I think where some of the confusion about whether you're in a plan, or not, is caused by the low cost of medical care at government hospitals.

People think they must be on some kind of plan, because 'nothing is that cheap'.

Anyone can register with any hospital to use their services. You'll get a card with your medical records number on it.

When my wife was diagnosed with cancer, at a private hospital, she decided to take advantage of her 30 Baht card and was referred to a government hospital. She had surgery and went through a course of radiotherapy at absolutely no cost. However, the medicines available under the scheme are quite limited. For example, they would not provide zinc, fluoride, oral anasthetic, etc. We bought those ourselves. However, these items are not part of standard treatment at the government hospitals here. That is, there are basic medicines which are prescribed under the scheme. If you want anything special you must buy it yourself.

I do not have any cover under this scheme. I have coverage provided by where I work and also social (in)security coverage which I pay into each month.

I understand that if you are married to a civil servant, then you are covered by your wife's/husband's health insurance scheme. This is different to the 30 Baht scheme (which also goes under various other names such as gold card scheme, etc).

Not 100%, but Amazing Treatment,for what little one expects from Thailand towards their Citizens.

Edited by MAJIC

That's strange. As *ANY* legally employed person (including foreigners) in Thailand, she would be covered by social health insurance, meaning nothing would be due for either treatment or medications.

Typically you pick a hospital as your main place, then no money is due. If you get treatment elsewhere you'd need to pay first, keep the bills and then file them.

To answer the OP: The fee for the 30 baht card treatment is... (wait for it)... 30 baht. Though the care provided doesn't seem to be of the same standard as social insurance for employees. (with some exceptions I guess)

That's not true winnie. Legislation a couple of years ago allows private companies and schools to opt out of the social insurance scheme if they provide a basic medical plan through a private provider.

"Legislation a couple of years ago allows private companies and schools to opt out of the social insurance scheme if they provide a basic medical plan through a private provider."

With private schools there is no opt out choice to make. They are excluded from the social security program.