Chiang Rai Or Chiang Hai - Which Is It

rawbear

In Northern dialect I don't think there's an "r" sound. Most r's are an h sound instead.

In Lanna script probably no r .

Maybe someone else knows more as I'm not sure on this.

But another one is instead of mai reu you get meu hoo etc.

• 5 weeks later...
In the Phrae area older people refer to Chiang Rai as Siang Hai

Some replace all "ch" with "s"

in otherr words Instead of "Chorp" (like) will say "sorp"

In E-saan, locals also have a peculiar way of pronouncing words. Population in Thai would be pronounced as Prachachon. For E-saan people, it would like like Prasason. : :o

Lao dialects don't have the "ch" sound.

So a chang becomes a sang etc.

Bit like farangs have no ง so it normally becomes an N

There are pockets of Lao speakers all over the north. Remeber seeing in the Tawee museum in Phitsanuloke about a Lao migration to the area, can't remember which ethnic group. Also in to Kamphaeg Phet as I have a met a few Lao speakers from that area.

• 3 weeks later...

The Thai Language including the following: The Central Thai, the Northeastern Thai (Thai-Lao), the Northern Thai, and the Southern Thai--spoke dialects of one of the languages of the Tai language family. The people who spoke those languages--generically also referred to as Tai--originated in southern China, but they were dispersed throughout mainland Southeast Asia from Burma to Vietnam

Central Thai, or Phassa Klang, was actually a minority with the other regions, Northeast, South, and the north dominating in numbers of people. Only about 32 percent of the Thai population spolke the central language by the mid 1960s. It was set up as the official dialect do to the location of the capital.

All dialects are still used today and Northern Thai, or Phassa Neuua still holds it's same dialect and many of the sam words that it did hundreds of years ago.

All dialects are still used today and Northern Thai, or Phassa Neuua still holds it's same dialect and many of the sam words that it did hundreds of years ago.

Is anyone actually aware of an English - Pa-sa Neuua dictionary?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know of any. There might be something useful in the Lonely Planet's guide to Northern Thailand. I actually have a book on it which was taught at the Rajaphat CR. But it is in Thai, so no english.

I don't know of any. There might be something useful in the Lonely Planet's guide to Northern Thailand. I actually have a book on it which was taught at the Rajaphat CR. But it is in Thai, so no english.

Agree I don't think an english - muang dictionary exists. I do have a couple of muang - thai books. Time for somebody to write one.