Gas Price Seriously Slows Drivers

jomama

The wife and I just returned form a holiday around Thailand and was struck by the impact gasoline prices are having on people’s driving.

We were in a private van heading for the beach and the driver was going 70 kph on an open, four-lane highway. After an hour or so I asked him why and he replied that driving fast is dangerous. I pointed out that the speed limit is 100, and he finally admitted that it was because gasoline is so expensive.

When we got back, had to take a long drive to see her relatives. The highway traffic was about one-third what we’re used to on that route, with no pickups flying past or pressuring from behind. About the only vehicles that overtook us (we were going max. 100) were expensive cars.

When it costs about 2 baht/kilometer for an economy car at current prices, the fuel cost for pickup trucks (4 baht/kilometer?) is getting prohibitive for “average” Thai drivers, especially driving around habitually for recreation.

At any rate it has slowed people right down and made for an enjoyable road trip.

The wife and I just returned form a holiday around Thailand and was struck by the impact gasoline prices are having on people’s driving.

We were in a private van heading for the beach and the driver was going 70 kph on an open, four-lane highway. After an hour or so I asked him why and he replied that driving fast is dangerous. I pointed out that the speed limit is 100, and he finally admitted that it was because gasoline is so expensive.

When we got back, had to take a long drive to see her relatives. The highway traffic was about one-third what we’re used to on that route, with no pickups flying past or pressuring from behind. About the only vehicles that overtook us (we were going max. 100) were expensive cars.

When it costs about 2 baht/kilometer for an economy car at current prices, the fuel cost for pickup trucks (4 baht/kilometer?) is getting prohibitive for “average” Thai drivers, especially driving around habitually for recreation.

At any rate it has slowed people right down and made for an enjoyable road trip.

It also pays to slow down just "south" of Lamphun on route 11, the police there have been having fun with a speed gun nabbing people for travelling over 90kph! The trap (hiding in the bushes farang style) is about 5 kms south of town, heading north towards Lamphun. You get stopped at the police box just before Lamphun turn off. But no real trouble, just join the long queue & pay your 200 baht & off you go again. It's great seeing all the Thais paying the same as you too!

Another interesting side effect that I notice is the huge numbers of pickup trucks for sale as you drive around the country. I suspect that as this high cost of fuel continues that will be a growing problem. Sad to see since you know how tough it was for them to get the truck to begin with and now they must give it up.

It is hard to imagine the ongoing impact of the fuel prices since fishing captains will be forced out of business as well as many other similar type businesses. It is indeed a sad time to witness even though the crowded roads make it much more comfortable to drive, I am saddened by the real impact that the cost of fuel is having and that will only get worse.

It is hard to imagine the ongoing impact of the fuel prices since fishing captains will be forced out of business as well as many other similar type businesses.

I agree about the fishermen. Too bad they can’t get discount coupons or something. Commercial trucking will simply raise the rates and the increase will be passed on to the consumer, so indeed everything is going to get more expensive.

As the high gasoline prices begin to hurt, good chances of disquiet in the population. There was a protest in BKK two days ago (I saw on local TV) in which protesters actually clashed a bit with police, who used their riot shields to turn them back. They were protesting higher fuel prices without an increase in wages.

I think subsidized fuel was one way the government kept the lower and middle classes quiet. If they could buy a truck on credit and drive around on cheap fuel, at least it gave the people some sense of freedom and control -- get away from the not-so-wonderful house and leave the cares behind for the day.

Unfortunately there was no restraint shown and we know what happened. The roads and driving out of control, traffic everywhere, the highest road death rate in the world (measured by population), reckless waste of fuel and damage to the environment. Like most lessons, this one will probably be learned the hard way -- borrowing money to buy something you cannot afford, wastefulness and abusive driving are not sustainable in the long term.

Now they have no choice but to “bite the bullet,” and IMHO, I think we could see some serious fallout from this. When I paid 900 baht for a day trip in an economy car (and winced), I know that others less fortunate than me are doing more than wincing.

When it costs about 2 baht/kilometer for an economy car at current prices, the fuel cost for pickup trucks (4 baht/kilometer?)

Majority of pickups are diesel.

Fuel works out at under 2 baht/km for my pick-up

It also pays to slow down just "south" of Lamphun on route 11, the police there have been having fun with a speed gun nabbing people for travelling over 90kph!

I thought 90kph was a recommendation, has it been enforced now ?

I thought 90kph was a recommendation, has it been enforced now ?

Agreed 90 kph was a recommendation I thought too, but the traffic cops on the Lamphun super were using that as an excuse for speeding fines & there were a lot of people in the queue.

When I took the test for my Thai drivers license the "rules of the road" handbook stated that 90 kph was the maximum speed limit on open highway except where posted. So it is not really a new recommendation but a rule that has been on the books for some time.