Bait Differences

robblok

I am just wondering about different kinds of baits and their effects.

- bread crusts

- bread powder

- Other kinds of bread

- Lam

I just wonder the tigher you pack it the harder it is for it to get off. Also the more loosely packed the faster it goes off and the more fish are feeding on it.

In my opinion loosely packed works better then squeezed tightly. I would like to have other peoples their opinion about this.

I think it goes for bread.. lam.. all kinds of baits. however if you pack it more tightly you can cast out further and maybe get to better spots.

What are you guys their opinion on this ?

With reference to lam I pack it so it is of medium hardness so it basically lasts a little bit longer than softly packed Lam, in my opinion if it is to soft as soon as it hits the water it explodes in a big cloud and is gone from your coil feeder, I have had great success with my method so why change something that works, at Bungsamran they use it quite soft but then there are thousands and thousands of fish there so no need to try and make it last longer on the coil.

I am thinking the fish don't go and bite the bait but just suck it in. I wonder if weight of the bait makes things different. IMHO i catch more fish if i fish with a lighter packed bait spiral (small with a small hook).

The idea of the coil feeder and the attached groundbait is to attract fish into your swim, if you are fishing all day then every time you cast you are depositing more bait in that area thus the need for a very lightly packed coil becomes not important as long as there is bait falling from the coil then you have achieved your goal, maybe at the start of fishing you could lightly pack it so as to create a big cloud to get the fishes attention then start to pack it a bit more tightly which will enable you to leave the bait in the water a little bit longer, hope that makes sense.

I use a fairly tight pack so that the bait stays in one place and the fish can find it. But what I amnot sure of is the size of little foam ball to put on the hook. I think the small foam balls work best. I feel they wil suck them in rather than the big ones. I should add I cast to the place for a couple hours also thinking the fish are gathering there for the bait.

I use a fairly tight pack so that the bait stays in one place and the fish can find it. But what I amnot sure of is the size of little foam ball to put on the hook. I think the small foam balls work best. I feel they wil suck them in rather than the big ones. I should add I cast to the place for a couple hours also thinking the fish are gathering there for the bait.

The little foam balls are used to make the hook float up next to the groundbait, so use as many foam balls in order to make the hook boyuant.. you can buy the very small foam balls from any fishing shop.

I am thinking the fish don't go and bite the bait but just suck it in. I wonder if weight of the bait makes things different. IMHO i catch more fish if i fish with a lighter packed bait spiral (small with a small hook).

The idea of the coil feeder and the attached groundbait is to attract fish into your swim, if you are fishing all day then every time you cast you are depositing more bait in that area thus the need for a very lightly packed coil becomes not important as long as there is bait falling from the coil then you have achieved your goal, maybe at the start of fishing you could lightly pack it so as to create a big cloud to get the fishes attention then start to pack it a bit more tightly which will enable you to leave the bait in the water a little bit longer, hope that makes sense.

It makes sense.. how to do it is part two as its hard to cast at the same spot all the time especially if your making some distance. When i fish for pla bug at ngau nam i fish closer to shore and ad ground bait to the place i have been fishing. But the other rod that i use for the sawai i just cast out far and not that accurate (but i still get more hits on it)

It makes sense.. how to do it is part two as its hard to cast at the same spot all the time especially if your making some distance. When i fish for pla bug at ngau nam i fish closer to shore and ad ground bait to the place i have been fishing. But the other rod that i use for the sawai i just cast out far and not that accurate (but i still get more hits on it)

The answer to casting far and hitting the same spot is to use a seperate rod tackled up with a marker float i.e float ledger which stays in the same spot whilst you are fishing hence the name marker float, but obviously you still need to cast accurately but at least you will know and can see where you need to be.

I think you will find that the foam balls are put on the hooks to improve the chances of the fish sucking in the hook rather than floating up to the spring feeder. Putting too many balls on the hook would impair setting of the hook. I would stick to one or at most two per hook unless you are using giant size hooks in which case no number of balls will improve the chances of the hook being taken. You will find that many of the various types of carp feed by sucking rather than biting. The Thais call this type of fishing Kai Mot X (Mot X is an ant based cartoon character and Kai is Thai for egg). As opposed to real ant eggs on the hook, they put foam and, thus, the name.

Edited by GarryP

I think you will find that the foam balls are put on the hooks to improve the chances of the fish sucking in the hook rather than floating up to the spring feeder. Putting too many balls on the hook would impair setting of the hook. I would stick to one or at most two per hook unless you are using giant size hooks in which case no number of balls will improve the chances of the hook being taken. You will find that many of the various types of carp feed by sucking rather than biting. The Thais call this type of fishing Kai Mot X (Mot X is an ant based cartoon character and Kai is Thai for egg). As opposed to real ant eggs on the hook, they put foam and, thus, the name.

Good explanation that is what I meant, putting foam on the hook will make it more bouyant than if you did not put any on so yes just 1 or 2 just to make the hook stand up which will enable the hook to be sucked in easier.. this is how I use it and have never had any problems.

Good explanation that is what I meant, putting foam on the hook will make it more bouyant than if you did not put any on so yes just 1 or 2 just to make the hook stand up which will enable the hook to be sucked in easier.. this is how I use it and have never had any problems.

You say you put one or two balls on my concern is if the ball is too big will the fish suck it in or pass it by? I havenot tried multiply balls on a hook till now I have leaned more to the smaller balls. I do this for 2 reasons and my idea maybe incorrect that why I ask for more info. First reason the fish might be more interested in smaller items to suck in. and second reason I think it maybe easier to set the hook with less interference. But the bouyancy idea may get the hook to the fish easier I will try 2 or more balls on a hook this weekend.

I have only fished this way for one year so I am new and open to all advice I can get. When i say the fish the same place i mean within a meter radius I amnot spot on but feel the fish will be attracted to the general area. If the feed is constantly there.

To cast to the same spot each time find a feature on the far bank and use that has a marker.Cast the distance you want then where the line meets the spool mark it with tape or has I prefer tippex.Before you reel back in each time

clip the line to the spool clip where you've marked it..On recast you will be able to hit the same spot.But don't forget to unclip your line if you want to keep your rod.Hope this makes sense.

Maybe the use of the word ball is misleading. They are more like foam pellets and smaller than the plastic beads you use when making a swim feeder rig. Another image might make it clearer - I use pellets which are a quarter to half the size of a green pea.

You say you put one or two balls on my concern is if the ball is too big will the fish suck it in or pass it by? I havenot tried multiply balls on a hook till now I have leaned more to the smaller balls. I do this for 2 reasons and my idea maybe incorrect that why I ask for more info. First reason the fish might be more interested in smaller items to suck in. and second reason I think it maybe easier to set the hook with less interference. But the bouyancy idea may get the hook to the fish easier I will try 2 or more balls on a hook this weekend.

I have only fished this way for one year so I am new and open to all advice I can get. When i say the fish the same place i mean within a meter radius I amnot spot on but feel the fish will be attracted to the general area. If the feed is constantly there.

I can tell you what the fishing guides use at Bungsamran lake regarding foam on the hook, they superglue a piece of foam to the back of the shank, this will make the hook float up so as to make it easier for the fish to suck in,this rig is only used for bottom fishing. with the hook bouyant any fish sucking in the water close by will pull the hook in, even when the bait on the coil has gone the hook will still be totaly accesable because it is bouyant and floating up in the water maybe 2" off the bottom which is perfect.

There are different thoughts on how to use the foam attached to hooks, personnaly I like to use enough foam to make the hook tottaly bouyant in the water so as to make it easier for the fish to suck in, I can assure you it works.

Edited by kenny999

I can tell you what the fishing guides use at Bungsamran lake regarding foam on the hook, they superglue a piece of foam to the back of the shank, this will make the hook float up so as to make it easier for the fish to suck in,this rig is only used for bottom fishing. with the hook bouyant any fish sucking in the water close by will pull the hook in, even when the bait on the coil has gone the hook will still be totaly accesable because it is bouyant and floating up in the water maybe 2" off the bottom which is perfect.

There are different thoughts on how to use the foam attached to hooks, personnaly I like to use enough foam to make the hook tottaly bouyant in the water so as to make it easier for the fish to suck in, I can assure you it works.

The idea is not to have the hook popped up has such but to give neutral bouyancy.Thus it takes less suction for the hook to enter the fishes mouth.

Edited by spud1

• 1 month later...

Wow i have learned something new,i will try the foam balls.

I have been using a coil feeder with bread bait and coconut milk, and a piece of raisin bread on the hook this is just on the lakes near where i live with moderate success.

When you put the foam balls on the hook do you still bait the hook or rely on them being attracted to the foam balls.

Any advice thanks nev.

They are not attracted to the foam ball, the ball just makes it easier for the hook to be sucked in. The coil wil drop the food slowly and the fish will feed on it when they suck the hook will be sucked in easier if it has a foam ball then if it has none. But baiting the hook is also not bad.

Usually a mixed bait with rice bran as the main ingredient. There are so many different variations possible. Just go with what works for you.

Here's a link to a thread I did last year that will give you an idea of the variety of baits.

Usually a mixed bait with rice bran as the main ingredient. There are so many different variations possible. Just go with what works for you.

Here's a link to a thread I did last year that will give you an idea of the variety of baits.

Thanks garryp thanks for the link to your thread some excellent bait tip to experiment with.

Because I mostly fly fish I seldom use bait in Thailand. However, about a year ago on this forum, one of the members wrote many recipes for baits for Thailand. It would take a bit of research to find them.

GarryP has posted a link above to the thread he was the member who wrote it,excellent thread.

I think your thinking is spot on. In fact having fished with so many different Thai Guides, it is apparent the skill in a good catch rate for mekongs when fishing with Lam is all in the ability of softness versus your ability to cast. Even though the feeding method of fish such as mekongs and siamese carp are different to those fish that take solids, there basic instincts are the same as fish that take solids as a preferred feeding method. If a big Mekong comes sniffing around your bait ball whether it be on the bottom or suspended under a float, it will try and draw particle off the bait ball. The harder it has to work(suck) to do that, the more suspicious and cautious it will be of that particular bait as a result. if it cant break the ball and its hungry it may resort to charging it with its nose or batting it with its tail, if its not hungry it might just move on to an easier target, one its less suspicious of. The only reason we use wetter (more solid) Lam preparation for carp is becuase it stays on longer. The Siamese Carp will often come and look at a pile of Lam laying on the lake bed 3 or 4 times before it even decides to put its head down and dare to have a feed. So a wetter preperation often means it will stay as a solid lump on the bottom longer, giving the carp time to build its confidence...even so it will still be very suspicious if the ball is very hardly packed, so wet and not too hardly packed is best...its always fun watching a 1kg ball of lum fall off your coil as you lightly flip it out!LOL