Baitliner

robblok

Would be nice to have a baitboat (remote controlled boat to drop your lines and ground bait). Some also have sonar. The problem would not be money but the Thais laughing at me the idiot farang :D

I am convinced that it could help me catch more but also make me the laughingstock of the pond.

Dont feel bad as I too have thought of it.

I even thought of using a lure on one of the remote controlled boats you can buy and dragging it behind the boat, but have not figured out what to do if a large fish takes the lure. Ned to make some type of break away that is strong enough to troll the lure but weak enough to let go once a fish is on and all this would be from a free spinning reel of course so I could take control once the fish was on.

Would be a lot of fun and if it worked who knows you might see a lot of remote controlled boats in the water...

Dan

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Dont feel bad as I too have thought of it.

I even thought of using a lure on one of the remote controlled boats you can buy and dragging it behind the boat, but have not figured out what to do if a large fish takes the lure. Ned to make some type of break away that is strong enough to troll the lure but weak enough to let go once a fish is on and all this would be from a free spinning reel of course so I could take control once the fish was on.

Would be a lot of fun and if it worked who knows you might see a lot of remote controlled boats in the water...

Dan

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImXQycqeeqg

This was what i was thinking about its already out there. But at a hefty price.

Had one back in the UK for carp fishing,had a built in echo sounder.Definitely caught me more fish has I was able to find features and place my bait under overhanging trees where the carp felt safe.Not

sure what use it would have been here in Thailand apart from the spectacle of it from the Thai's.

Had one back in the UK for carp fishing,had a built in echo sounder.Definitely caught me more fish has I was able to find features and place my bait under overhanging trees where the carp felt safe.Not

sure what use it would have been here in Thailand apart from the spectacle of it from the Thai's.

Im pretty sure that if you can go out far with the baitliner at ngua nam and drop your bait and some groundbait at the same spot you will drastically increase your catch rate. The only reason im not getting one is because of the response of the Thais. They would think im totally stupid.

At least you'd get some recognition.Here comes the ding dong farang with his toy boat.:D

They already know me well over there. But not for some crazy reasons. But really if i would not look like a complete idiot i would have bought one and let my dad bring it over from Holland.

Here's the boat I owned back home.One of the best on the market.It's that big perhaps your dad could sail over on it.:)

post-71415-067852300 1285044807_thumb.jp

Nice boat would be great to use here

As for my dad he is a fat bastard, im sure it would sink. :D and i mean bastard in a nice way.

Just hope he never reads this else my cut in the inheritance is gone for ever :D

Edited by robblok

I bought a baitliner digital. It was they had a sale from 400 for 250. So i send good old dad out to buy the thing he drove 60 km's to get it it was a yearly sale because it was "carp day". He will bring it over for me in November. I will try to mound my portable fishfinder hummingbird rf15 on it.

It wil make a good spectacle and im sure ill be laughed at by the Thais but it might just work. I will have it here in thailand 11 november and will be fishing with it then at ngau nam.

I bought a baitliner digital. It was they had a sale from 400 for 250. So i send good old dad out to buy the thing he drove 60 km's to get it it was a yearly sale because it was "carp day". He will bring it over for me in November. I will try to mound my portable fishfinder hummingbird rf15 on it.

It wil make a good spectacle and im sure ill be laughed at by the Thais but it might just work. I will have it here in thailand 11 november and will be fishing with it then at ngau nam.

Sounds good.Can I make a suggestion that you buy a solar panel charger for the boat if there is one available.Very handy for keeping the boat and handset working.

Sounds good.Can I make a suggestion that you buy a solar panel charger for the boat if there is one available.Very handy for keeping the boat and handset working.

I have checked how much time you have sailing around. I might just buy an extra battery but that is it. I might not even use one battery on a day but we will see.

• 1 year later...

I have been using the bait boat extensively at shadow lake and i must say it has its uses there for me. I love it its a nice toy. Soon i will ad a good fishfinder on it mainly to have more info about the bottom there. But i must say i love using it. It gave me an edge too at Bungsamran but after a while i was banned from using it. Too bad as i was getting bites from big carp because i could go to places people normally cant.

Their loss because if they had allowed me to play with it i would have fished with more rods and used more lam.

There are certainly monsters patrolling the far bank. It's reachable with longer rods but very hard to get there with smaller jigging rods. I know when I hook a big one i'd rather be using the small jigging rod due to the leverage.

I was able to get to the back with a 6ft rod and an abu 6500.

Still I think if your bait is right the big fish will come. It's a bit of a lottery. Look how many giants eat that kneaded bread paste about 15 feet from the platform.

Jack.. when was the last time you fished shadow ? Its gone down hill since a couple of years ago.

Anyway i dont drop it out far all the time.. to be honest with massage i dont drop it out that far bu a lot further as 15ft.

About 11 months ago. I had some great fish. You really think it is bad now? I know it can be difficult but if your bait is right I find it very easy.

I also fished nearly exclusively at night starting from 4 to 6pm. The only reason because I couldn't wake up in the mornings. I would fish the night and go home in the morning. That left me too tired to go early next time.

This time I will try to fish daylight hours.

Edited by jackinbkk

This was my best fish. It came after a heavy thunder storm. The heavy rain probably filled the water with oxygen and got them looking for food. Caught at about 2am.

Once the lightning started I thought my night fishing was over. Then along came this 2 metre giant.

The pictures not great as I was filming at night with an old camcorder.

vlcsnap2011051015h13m08.jpg

Jack.. when was the last time you fished shadow ? Its gone down hill since a couple of years ago.

Anyway i dont drop it out far all the time.. to be honest with massage i dont drop it out that far bu a lot further as 15ft.

About 11 months ago. I had some great fish. You really think it is bad now? I know it can be difficult but if your bait is right I find it very easy.

I also fished nearly exclusively at night starting from 4 to 6pm. The only reason because I couldn't wake up in the mornings. I would fish the night and go home in the morning. That left me too tired to go early next time.

This time I will try to fish daylight hours.

It is bad at the moment but not worse then 11 months ago. Might be less big fish but cant say that for sure. They must have had some losses (even though they deny it. Before i saw more big sawai, those seem gone. But i am sure there are still big ones as i hooked one and i seen others catch them after the flooding too

Baitliner boats sound great.

I can't help but wonder if even the dumbest fish gets tired of being hauled up as a result of eating that huge ball of the same old bait that just landed on his head with a thump.

Seems like just about anything different could be an advantage...

Shadow is a hard lake to fish i need any advantage i can have. But still it wont give me a clear advantage. I still get outfished at times by people with better bait or a better setup. But it sure helps to dump all the bait at the same spot all the time.

Baitliner boats sound great.

I can't help but wonder if even the dumbest fish gets tired of being hauled up as a result of eating that huge ball of the same old bait that just landed on his head with a thump.

Seems like just about anything different could be an advantage...

I think the thing is we only ever see the fish we pull to the bank. I bet +75% of the time the food a fish eats is not set with a hook. Thats one reason why you don't catch a fish every 10 seconds. You also often see the float go under but a fish never getting hooked. In the mornings for example the ton of bait they chuck in has no hooks, bait that flies off the feeder has no hooks and natural food sources wont have hooks. Food might also not be totally clean like we are used to as human. Fish that eat other fish have to deal with barbs, bones, gill rakers etc. Herbivores probably have to deal with twigs, dirt and other plant material. The only 100% safe option for not getting the one bait with a hook in it would be to starve. It must be quite difficult to recognise hooks from just natural unwanted material.

Shadow is a hard lake to fish i need any advantage i can have. But still it wont give me a clear advantage. I still get outfished at times by people with better bait or a better setup. But it sure helps to dump all the bait at the same spot all the time.

So which is your prefered bait Robblok? From my experience at shadow I found:

1. Bread with the float nearly always hooked sawai

2. No carp ever took a bait from a float, only off the bottom.

3. Lam was my most productive bait, set on a float. Resulted in around 70% mekongs, 30% sawaii.

4. Massage bread on the bottom had an equal tendancy for sawaii or mekongs. Worked well at night and tended to catch some very large fish. Some absolutely unstoppable monsters went through 50lb mono, 80lb braid without ever showing signs of stopping. I was told by the guys who work there that when you saw lots of air bubbles rising before a take, it was usually a big carp. On one occassion that happened but it went off like a train breaking the line just after the hook. Some have straightened hooks after 30 to 40 minutes.

I realise there are very few carp at shadow lake. I have caught carp from the bottom with bread but it was hard because most times a sawaii took the bait.

So which is your prefered bait Robblok? From my experience at shadow I found:

1. Bread with the float nearly always hooked sawai

2. No carp ever took a bait from a float, only off the bottom.

3. Lam was my most productive bait, set on a float. Resulted in around 70% mekongs, 30% sawaii.

4. Massage bread on the bottom had an equal tendancy for sawaii or mekongs. Worked well at night and tended to catch some very large fish. Some absolutely unstoppable monsters went through 50lb mono, 80lb braid without ever showing signs of stopping. I was told by the guys who work there that when you saw lots of air bubbles rising before a take, it was usually a big carp. On one occassion that happened but it went off like a train breaking the line just after the hook. Some have straightened hooks after 30 to 40 minutes.

I realise there are very few carp at shadow lake. I have caught carp from the bottom with bread but it was hard because most times a sawaii took the bait.

Basically it is the way you tell it. If you want carp here you make a lam bread mix with a harder bigger ball. But even then a big chance for other fish.

Today i had a good sounder / fish finder. I see that its about 3 meter deep at about 3 quaters. Also there the most and bigger fish pop up on the sounder. But not at the bottom usually at around 1.5 meters or higher.

I will try more next time now is just used massage with diferent setups to test what was better. I got my answers from that.

Just had a 51 kg pla bug on the scales. It was caught on massage bread im now out further as before as i dump the bait at almost the deepest spot. I keep the depth as a reference so i know i go out to the right spot.

I think bait is the most important thing here if your bait works you get many fish. The other guys bait is better as mine.

Just for ppls info i saw the fish cruising at around 1.5 - 1.80 meter depth at 2.5 total depth. Got many beeps and signals every time in the same chanel.

I am seriously looking at getting one of these bait boats as I know it would have definitely improved my catch rate over the last 3 days at Gillhams as some of the areas I was fishing were out of range of my catapult and had to rely on one of the resident guides dumping ground bait in the vicinity of where I was casting as I hooked up almost every time and usually a red tail cat on pellet or chicken heart. My best fish was an Arapaima of 100kg yesterday which although not large by fishery standards is the largest fish I have caught to date. My ugly mugshots will be in their March newsletter no doubt.

I have not had chance to research bait boats fully but my main concerns are weight and whether the battery used (IE sealed gel) would cause problems at airline check in.

most bait boats use lead acid baterries. They weight a ton! Would be lighter running off LiPo but I bet that's definately not allowed to fly. Bursts into flames even on impact.

NiMH might be viable. So were the spots hard to reach because of cover or distance?

I would think cover because with the long rods used at Gillhams you must be able to reach most parts?

most bait boats use lead acid baterries. They weight a ton! Would be lighter running off LiPo but I bet that's definately not allowed to fly. Bursts into flames even on impact.

NiMH might be viable. So were the spots hard to reach because of cover or distance?

I would think cover because with the long rods used at Gillhams you must be able to reach most parts?

It was actually distance casting down to the water hyacinth margins in the bottom of the bay but was having difficulty delivering ground bait to the location. The Spod rod did not have the range or maybe my casting ability was not up to it. I could however manage the distance without problem on the supplied Free Spirit Cat Tamers supplied to get a bait down there.

I have actually found a supplier of bait boats within walking distance of where I live (ebay shop) and have a telephone number so I may make further enquiries upon my return to UK.

Just check if you are allowed to use them first. Bungsamran does not allow it. My bait boat is big and it would require a whole suitcase. The battery is a normal motorcycle battery so that is not a big problem.