Volunteer English Teacher

Ken mate,

Sorry I don't want an argument.

I wouldn't grass on anyone BTW, I was only asking a question.

Yes, you are right it is the law, you need a work permit for voluntary work.

It is one of those laws, however, that is never enforced for English teachers.

Even if someone were grassed up, they would not deport them, probably/definately not even fine them, IMHO.

I do appreciate all the help from the people in this forum with the question I asked.

Some things are harder to accept than others. Not everything is always going to be how I want it to be.

After all, it is my choice to live here and I have to take the good with the not so great.

Perhaps one day the law will change. As for now, I will live with it the way it is and get on with my retirement.

Leaving enforcement out of it for the purposes of this qestion, it is clear that Thailand uses the broadest definition of "work" immaginable.

Thus, if those on a retirement extention on their visa, "work", are they not technically in violation of the this visa rule against "working" in Thailand when your on a "retirement extention". Lopburi3 pls contribute.

Has anyone ever actually tried getting a work permit for volunteer work ? I remember a quote from Immigration about the Tsunami volunteers that it would be very easy for them to get work permits (easier than normal), presuming they're associated with a reputable organisation. Of course, that may not actually be the case but surely it would be worth a visit to Immigration to find out?

Leaving enforcement out of it for the purposes of this qestion, it is clear that Thailand uses the broadest definition of "work" immaginable.

Thus, if those on a retirement extention on their visa, "work", are they not technically in violation of the this visa rule against "working" in Thailand when your on a "retirement extention".  Lopburi3 pls contribute.

I was under the impression that if you were on a retirement Visa or had been extended as a retiree you couldn't get a WP and thus couldn't in theory work without changing Visa type???

Thus, if those on a retirement extention on their visa, "work", are they not technically in violation of the this visa rule against "working" in Thailand when your on a "retirement extention".  Lopburi3 pls contribute.

I was under the impression that if you were on a retirement Visa or had been extended as a retiree you couldn't get a WP and thus couldn't in theory work without changing Visa type???

And you'd be right Ken. :o

• 2 weeks later...

I used to do a bit of voluntary teaching for a few hours a week after my payed employment. The kids were always much better behaved and willing to learn than some of the rich tykes I was payed to teach. It was a pleasure and I didn't have to worry about the WP cos I was working for a 'proper' school in the day.

We relied on people to provide us with places to teach ... and it was usually above restaurants or dodgy karaoke bars. In the end we moved to a school nearby who had agreed to provide us with a real classroom. A lot of their kids turned up but it was OK cos we thought it was a govt. school.

It turned out to be a private school. All the original kids had stopped turning up since the move. It may sound stoopid but if you're gonna work for free make sure no-one else is making money out of you on the sly.

the spelling of the word is  P A I D   That's a worry eh ?

Yes Dr and it appears even after English teaching day and night the lack of an automatic spell check led to "stupid" coming out as stoopid - maybe the doorways were not all that high (stoop) and the id who nose (sic)?

No... not the puns.

Teaching's all about communication these days. Spelling don't matter any more. Nor grammer.