Phuket To Chiang Mai Bus Set For Early 2011

webfact

Phuket to Chiang Mai bus set for early 2011

phuket-1-UkAvagg.jpg

ONE-WAY TICKET: A computer graphic image of how the VIP bus will look – before it is painted green. Courtesy Chaipattana Transportation.

PHUKET: -- Travelers with plenty of stamina will soon be able to travel directly by bus between Phuket and Chiang Mai, a journey of almost 24 hours.

Green Bus, which already holds a concession for air-conditioned bus transport in Northern Thailand, plans to launch the service in early 2011.

The journey will take 22 to 23 hours.

Somchai Thongkhamkhoon, managing director of Green Bus parent company Chaipattana Transportation, said the company won the concession for the service from the Department of Land Transportation in mid-August.

The company has ordered five new air-conditioned “VIP” buses at a cost eight million baht each to service the long-haul route.

While normal Thai “Standard 1” VIP buses are 12 meters long with 24 seats, the new buses will be 15 meters long and seat 30, Mr Somchai said.

A Chaipattana Transportation public relations office told the Gazette the cost of a round-trip journey is tentatively set to cost about 1,700 baht.

The service will probably start in March, she said

Thai Airways and Thai AirAsia currently operate daily direct flights between the two cities, which take around two hours.

Admitting the journey for the new service was rather long, Mr Somchai said the route would help train company staff in long-distance driving.

The company also plans to launch bus services from Thailand to Kunming in China, he said.

Following the new Asian Highway R3a, the route will leave Thailand at Chiang Khong in Chiang Rai Province, pass through Laos and connect to Kunming in China's Yunnan Province.

Nation Breaking news

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-09-22

Air Asia is about 1500 each way right now.

How low value would my time have to be to spend an extra 22 hours even if the seat was free !!

Even bar girls fly now (the new Udon route is packed).

Yes, that was my immediate thought. I have no idea how they expect this bus route to pay it's way.

i can't wait to see all those trainee drivers negotiating their first u-turns from the new bus station on the 402. :unsure:

and i think the fact that the computer graphic couldn't even be changed to a green color says a lot about how much preparation has gone into this project.