Would You Like The Option To Turn Off The Reputation Feature For You?

Jingthing

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it could be better if the forum admins would turn on the display of the member's reputation under his avatar, together with Group, posts and join date.

Then it would be cool if the displayed reputation was only taking into account points given by own friend members.

it could be better if the forum admins would turn on the display of the member's reputation under his avatar, together with Group, posts and join date.

Then it would be cool if the displayed reputation was only taking into account points given by own friend members.

That sounds much worse! BTW, please read my topic on IRONIC FRIENDING.

I want to point out again, this poll is NOT about whether the rep feature should be killed en masse. That ain't gonna happen. The question is IF we were given the option to TURN OFF the feature only for ourselves, would we use that option.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

That sounds much worse! BTW, please read my topic on IRONIC FRIENDING.

I want to point out again, this poll is NOT about whether the rep feature should be killed en masse. That ain't gonna happen. The question is IF we were given the option to TURN OFF the feature only for ourselves, would we use that option.

worse than what?

I'd be happy to be able to recognize d*ckheads right away if my friends already gave them plenty of negatives.

"Ironic friending" is nonsense for me.

It is the same as giving good marks to a skater who botched his program.

Ironic friending defeats the purpose of the friends feature and giving users the option to opt out of reputation defeats the purpose of the rep feature.

The real problem is how easy it is to setup multiple accounts.

• Like 1

I could care less if it is on or off.

Obviously if someone looks at my profile and sees me in the 'green zone' and thinks it's accurate, it says more about them than me.

If you find yourself by accident in my profile and are considering giving me rep a bump, ask yourself this question "do you think it's wise?"

Edited by bkkjames
  • Like 1

worse than what?

I'd be happy to be able to recognize d*ckheads right away if my friends already gave them plenty of negatives.

I'm with you on this one. How embarassing would it be to realise that your own opinion differed from that of your friends?

Oh, the mortification of it...

Perhaps the system software could prompt you, a bit like Amazon "People that rubbished this post also rubbished the following posts by the same author..."

"People that thought like you also expressed an opinion in the following threads..."

We could turn Thaivisa into a search-engine led compliant, cowed and observient democracy

Having said that, we should perhaps restrain ourselves from hasty action, lest we startle the flock, and just introduce features gently and slowly, while making soothing noises (just like last night...). Its like tickling trout - softly, softly, catch the monkey....

I don't know how people get by on the internet without a good grounding in field sports....

SC

Off-topic - how ambiguous is the term 'field" - track and field is nothing to do with field sports and field sports don't happen on or off the field. THat's a whole different ball game, which is played in a park in any case.

SC

• Like 1

I could care less if it is on or off.

Obviously if someone looks at my profile and sees me in the 'green zone' and thinks it's accurate, it says more about them than me.

If you find yourself by accident in my profile and are considering giving me rep a bump, ask yourself this question "do you think it's wise?"

What could possibly go wrong?

SC

I was going to start that as a separate thread - I will, if I have time...

There are a number of issues discussed on TV over which the views or many members are polorized - What should and should not be said about life in Thailand being the classic.

Expressing a view on such a topic almost certainly will fall into one camp of the other - Doing so will then give rise to 'Repuation Votes'

The danger is clear - people posting to manage their reputation rather than expressing opinions they truly hold - or wosre still giving honest advice to someone who's asked for advice.

Popularism - I know of no examples were its been a good thing.

• Like 1

What do you mean they like it for 'financial reasons'? How do they make money off the rep system..? Or I have I just totally missed what you meant. unsure.gif

Page views, clicks, value of clicks, KA-CHING ...

So... people like the reputation feature therefore click more and use the site more; site owners make more money from people using the site more... this seems like a win-win?

If you don't want to "Participate in the game" just don't view your profile page (not sure why one would need to view their own profile page anyways?)

• Like 1

Personally, I find the reputation feature useful as an alarm bell for myself. The alarm goes off every time I click - or feel like clicking - the reputation button either way. The alarm says:

"get a life, idiot. You should be able to handle other peoples opinions whataver they are. What are trying to achieve by clicking a button?"

To those who have recieved negative or positive reputation from Forethat: Please accept my deepest apologies, you're opinion speaks for themselves without morons like me having to point out the obvious.

I don't normally do reputation, but i just minus 2'ed th OP because he has been bleating ad nauseum about something nobody in their right mind should give a rat's arse about.

i was actually quite ambivalent about jingthing, but afer a quick look at some of his posts in the other forums it has become clear what a needy little drama queen he is.

Edited by nocturn
  • Like 1

I don't normally do reputation, but i just minus 2'ed th OP because he has been bleating ad nauseum about something nobody in their right mind should give a rat's arse about.

i was actually quite ambivalent about jingthing, but afer a quick look at some of his posts in the other forums it has become clear what a needy little drama queen he is.

A drama queen from Pattaya

Negative points does acquire

"Oh, please, who cares,"

He says with airs

But "Liar, lier," sing the choir

*with apologies to limerick writers everywhere.

Nothing to do with the fact you took a -9 on a recent thread?....was that a record for the length of the thread?

I don't even know what you mean.

I'll give you a clue......you are running at -6 colourful ones on this thread.....

Just don't let it get to you jing.................Thailand.......mai pen rai.......yes?

Edit......see you are down to -2 colourful ones now....ha....the only way is up....or is it?...:D

Edited by 473geo

I have a suspicion JT is in on it. 20K+ posts, 1/3 of which must be starting polls-it all smells of click click pay some more

Come on JT, come out of the TV closet and confess-george is your real name isn't it? ;)

Have you had JT on ignore for the last few years James? :o

Anyway its a classic result so far. The TV members vote to not have a choice. George is the winner and there shall be no election.

Welcome to Thailand. B)

Who gives a rat's ass? Even if my rep was deep in the red i'd have a good laugh and go have a coffee whilst continuing to post all the same. That's the beauty of Thai Visa at the end of the day it doesn't matter because it's all for entertainment purposes anyways.

thumbsup.gif

Exactly... Who cares?!?

There are a number of issues discussed on TV over which the views or many members are polorized - What should and should not be said about life in Thailand being the classic.

Expressing a view on such a topic almost certainly will fall into one camp of the other - Doing so will then give rise to 'Repuation Votes'

The danger is clear - people posting to manage their reputation rather than expressing opinions they truly hold - or wosre still giving honest advice to someone who's asked for advice.

Popularism - I know of no examples were its been a good thing.

Yes! You got it.

OK, admins/mods so right now 32 percent say they WANT to turn off the feature for themselves. Would 1/3 of us opting out hurt the board very much? How about it? Can we PLEASE have the enhancement that we can TURN OFF the reputation feature PERMANENTLY for ourselves? In other words, reset to ZERO for good and no power to give or get greens or reds? How about it?

Edited by Jingthing

I don't care one way or another. I don't care who likes me and who doesn't. People who really know me are my friends. I have lots of them. Why would anyone care what some ignorant stranger thinks. Ignorant people jump to conclusions and make false assumptions based on their own personal biases.

If I think someone has written a well thought out post or response to a post then I'll give them a positive vote. I don't give negative votes because I seldom respond to ignorant people. .

• Like 2