Thai Immigration Introduces Jail Time For Overstayers

THAI IMMIGRATION INTRODUCES JAIL TIME FOR OVERSTAYERS

VISA OVERSTAY: The Untold Story

Jail time for foreigners

idc-bangkok.jpg

Immigration Detention Center, Suan Phlu, Bangkok

-- File photo

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- Allegedly tired of overstaying foreigners arriving at Suvarnabhumi airport with a valid air ticket and the maximum fine of 20,000 baht in their hands, the Immigration Department is now arresting and jailing people before permitting them to leave Thailand.

Anybody who has overstayed a valid visa in Thailand beyond a period of six weeks (42 days) is no longer permitted to simply turn up with the cash and an air ticket and leave the country after filling in a few forms and handing over the wedge.

For many years now it has been possible for people on long overstay to simply gather together the maximum fine under law of 20,000 baht, purchase an air ticket, travel to Suvarnabhumi and leave Thailand after completing a few formalities. With a change in the command at the top of the Immigration Department ladder this has now altered and anyone whose overstay is 42 days or longer is likely to be arrested.

People on overstay of less than three weeks (21 days) are still able to arrive at the airport with the correct amount of folding stuff, pay the fine due and leave Thailand.

The grey area is for those whose overstay falls in the period between three and six weeks; that is, between 22 and 41 days. They can potentially have a problem. It is being suggested anyone whose overstay falls into this time frame should be aware that it will be up to the Immigration officer and his superiors at an airport or land border crossing to decide whether to detain the recalcitrant foreigner or permit him, or her, to leave unhindered, after payment of the overstay fine has been levied.

As with many legal situations in Thailand involving foreigners and money, the rules tend to bend with the circumstances, and the mood of the relevant official or officials.

Nonetheless, it is being stated quite unequivocally that anyone on overstay exceeding 42 days (six weeks) will be arrested. They will then spend at the very least one or two days behind bars while waiting for the necessary paperwork to be processed. Most will eventually spend some time inspecting the stripy sunlight at the Immigration Detention Centre (IDC) in Bangkok.

CLEAR UP OVERSTAY IN BANGKOK

Thaivisa.com has been told it is better to clear up long overstay issues in Bangkok rather than in Phuket, Pattaya or elsewhere.

SEEK LEGAL ADVICE AND ASSISTANCE FROM YOUR EMBASSY

While embassy officers cannot circumvent or interfere in the process of Thai law they can advise overstayers on the best course of action and provide assistance for their nationals while in custody.

For full story see Edition 1 of Pattaya One out 1 October

gallery_327_1086_11.gif

-- 2010-09-24

SUMMARY OF CURRENT OVERSTAY REGULATIONS IN THAILAND:

Under the Immigration Act 2522 overstay is punishable by a jail term of 2 years and/or a fine of maximum 20,000 baht.

"Section 81 : Any alien who stay in the Kingdom without permission or with

permission expired or revoked shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding

two years or a fine not exceeding 20,000 Baht or both."

Immigration Act download: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a84562-Immigration-Act-EN.pdf.html

* Overstay 1 - 21 days: Pay a fine 500 Baht/day at Airport/land border

* Overstay 22 - 41 days: Pay a fine 500 Baht/day, possible arrest/detention, deportation, possible blacklisting

* Overstay 42 days or more: Pay a fine up to 20,000 Baht, arrest/detention, deportation, possible blacklisting

The Golden Rule: Never go overstay in Thailand, not even a single day!

idc-2.jpg

• Like 1

If they want to clear out the rubbish, introduce a 1 month amnesty after that anyone who overstays should be fair game.

yes i am with you on this one, just tell them to show up and then when you have them all there "ah ahhh we got you now! the amnesty was a joke from the big chief and he won the bet too, do you think is easy to find manpower to refurbish the Hilton these days? out there they are not tolerating official slavery anymore, so we got to get around it somehow"

as it stood, if you got caught or handed yourself in in Pattaya the judge will give you 10 days in jail or a 2000b fine, or 200b a day, after that you can go as soon as you have organised a ticket, and you dont have to pay the 20,000b fine, so its not a bad deal if you can handle the yaba smoke in the cells. its rumoured to be more expensive in Bangkok. But in either case its always been that if you do the jail or pay the court fine you dont have to pay the overstay and I imagine thats still how it is

Not so sure about "another nail in the coffin"

Lots of us are legal and always have been and will be, but there are some that simple go home every 5 or 6 years pay the max overstay, return on a tourist or non '0' and stay another 5+ years... a 20,000 baht overstay fine is a lot cheaper then having 400/800k in a Thai Bank for extensions, or for some that have to go to places like 'Hull' or there home Country for a yearly '0' + 4x boarder runs..

One person that only leaves Thailand very 5 years displays a 2543 Road Tax Disc, I questioned it last year he said no problem 100 baht sorts that out if stopped !! no idea but expect there is no Insurance paid.

sounds like they need to refine the law. People in the hospital should be exempt. I made a mistake on the 4th year here. I didn't go back to the U.S. & they lost my paperwork & gave me a 90 day overstay on my next reporting. It is Ok for a 60 year old lady to get caught stealing 4 times & on the fifth time she gets sent to the monks to be regrooved but for a farang it is pokey time. They are clearly regressing in terms of attracting Expats. Moving closer to communism on this one. Now if they can figure out how to get the real offenders different story- but I don't see much in the line of logic to a one size fits all in this goose seppin law. Looks like tea for Two or as many can get their pas into foreigners pockets.Besides I don't see the logic in why they would care as long as your spending cash to live here.If anything they need to loosten up the collar if they want to attract long termers.

• Like 2

Those on overstay will just stay here and not go near a border, some of them are working here so why risk being arrested at a border, why not try and get as much money as possible.

Computerising the borders and all Immigration departments and then linking them to Central Immigration, would help as then they would have names and address, and know exactly when the visitor will have to do a border run, if no border run is done or no departure card/extension entered into the system, then the name is flagged and immigration start searching for the Overstayer.