Around The Chiangrai Area

ginooooo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are VFW's around Thailand like BK, Chiangmai, I believe reading from other boards but do not know if around Chiangrai.

Never heard of them in CR. Would be very surprised if there is one in Thailand at all. Might be some loose-knit group get-togethers but nothing official.

Easy answer would be to do a search of locations on the VFW web-site.

Same for the VA. Can't believe they would spend the money to staff one here when they can't afford all that they need for them in the home country. But again, the VA web-site should list locations.

There are VFW's around Thailand like BK, Chiangmai, I believe reading from other boards but do not know if around Chiangrai.

Never heard of them in CR. Would be very surprised if there is one in Thailand at all. Might be some loose-knit group get-togethers but nothing official.

Same for the VA. Can't believe they would spend the money to staff one here when they can't afford all that they need for them in the home country. But again, the VA web-site should list locations.

That was the reason I asked for Chiangrai area and maybe that info will help newbie. Chaingrai area is much closer to where I will live.

Poster are trying to help you. The closes VA is Manila PI. http://www2.va.gov/d...lity.asp?ID=682

The VFW Post in Chiang Mai is the only post in northern Thailand. The US Consulate is in Chiang

Mai. http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/

There are none of these organisation or facilities in Chiang Rai.

Edited by gotlost

That was the reason I asked for Chiangrai area and maybe that info will help newbie. Chaingrai area is much closer to where I will live.

Poster are trying to help you. The closes VA is Manila PI. http://www2.va.gov/d...lity.asp?ID=682

The VFW Post in Chiang Mai is the only post in northern Thailand. The US Consulate is in Chiang

Mai. http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/

There are none of these organisation or facilities in Chiang Rai.

I know this place is the most knowledgeable place on the net about living in Thailand. I want to say thank you for everyone responding to my questions. I like to do my DD before I go on vacation there 1st so I have an good idea from the ex-pats there who have did/done that. Once I go, no turning back and need to rely on the experts here for answers/advice. There have been more than 1 different answers from different posters for different posts I have made and perhaps some folks also here are also learning different options.

I want to thank the owner of this forum/news/site for setting it up and being a great moderator. Also for those who respond to to those who need help in understanding.

Peace.

You're always going to get different opinions because people react differently to each situation and go about solving it in different ways.

I tend to belong to the "ignore shit for long enough and it turns into fertiliser" school. Others consider everything a challenge and can't wait to grasp it by the neck and give it a good shake.

You'll work out your own way of living in Thailand, as did the rest of us. B)

You're always going to get different opinions because people react differently to each situation and go about solving it in different ways.

I tend to belong to the "ignore shit for long enough and it turns into fertiliser" school. Others consider everything a challenge and can't wait to grasp it by the neck and give it a good shake.

Beautiful, thanks Scea! :rolleyes:

Wise lesson and good start for this sunny September day.

Limbo :yohan:

I know a lot of it will be a learning curve, trial by error, and what works for one may not work for another, especially depending on who/where you live for when you visit for Thai immigration problems. I have been to Phayao for the past 15 years, 14 times, just trying here to make the permanent move as painless as possible with the experienced people here.

Served in Japan, Okinawa, Korea (for 6 years), and SEA was a piece of cake on tours. Being ex-QA, just trying to get my "ducks lined up".

Peace

I knew a few American ex-military guys living in the Philippines as well as a one or two here.

They tend to settle in anywhere very easily.

They're very good at being patient and fully aware that things go wrong sometimes no matter how much preparation you put into them.

(Plus they all claim to be used to incompetent administration). :lol:

It will be interesting to see how you settle in. Visiting and taking up permanent residence are quite different. The North of Thailand is growing and changing at a pretty good pace. Much of what you have experienced over the last 15 years may have little relevance in this changing environment.

"Ducks lined up" or not, you are turning over a new leaf and entering a new phase of your life. Just relax and enjoy the ride. Everything will workout just fine, perhaps not the way you plan, but you will be okay. :)

I knew a few American ex-military guys living in the Philippines as well as a one or two here.

They tend to settle in anywhere very easily.

They're very good at being patient and fully aware that things go wrong sometimes no matter how much preparation you put into them.

(Plus they all claim to be used to incompetent administration). :lol:

It will be interesting to see how you settle in. Visiting and taking up permanent residence are quite different. The North of Thailand is growing and changing at a pretty good pace. Much of what you have experienced over the last 15 years may have little relevance in this changing environment.

"Ducks lined up" or not, you are turning over a new leaf and entering a new phase of your life. Just relax and enjoy the ride. Everything will workout just fine, perhaps not the way you plan, but you will be okay. :)

Agreed and got to learn Thai also. My bad, not yet learned the language.

Ah yes, learning the language, although it will be something you start, it will also be something you never finish.

For me, every time I think the mist is clearing, when I can see Thai script and words start to emerge in my mind, when I can listen to Thai people speak and catch 'the gist' of what they're saying, there are other moments when all I hear is a withering 'machine-gun-like' volley of words, aimed at me (due to my having previously displayed some understanding) and the only thing I understand is 'chai mai? at the end! :lol:

Luckily for me I find language in general, and Thai in particular, fascinating and challenging. Something, I hope, I will always enjoy. I find that it enhances the beauty of life.

I hope you do too.

Cheers,

Biff

Ah yes, learning the language, although it will be something you start, it will also be something you never finish.

For me, every time I think the mist is clearing, when I can see Thai script and words start to emerge in my mind, when I can listen to Thai people speak and catch 'the gist' of what they're saying, there are other moments when all I hear is a withering 'machine-gun-like' volley of words, aimed at me (due to my having previously displayed some understanding) and the only thing I understand is 'chai mai? at the end! :lol:

Luckily for me I find language in general, and Thai in particular, fascinating and challenging. Something, I hope, I will always enjoy. I find that it enhances the beauty of life.

I hope you do too.

Cheers,

Biff

I hope you do too.

Cheers,

Biff

Also, you may have noticed that you are quoting replies to your posts but those quotes don't have your comments in them, then you add a reply which does.

If you would like to quote someone and reply in the same post, just click on the 'reply' button, then a window will open containing the post you are replying to.

The post will have quote marks [ ] with the word 'quote' in the brackets. If you then add your reply underneath those marks, it will appear like this post has with the quoted text and your reply underneath it :)

Hope this helps,

Biff

I hope you do too.

Cheers,

Biff

Also, you may have noticed that you are quoting replies to your posts but those quotes don't have your comments in them, then you add a reply which does.

If you would like to quote someone and reply in the same post, just click on the 'reply' button, then a window will open containing the post you are replying to.

The post will have quote marks [ ] with the word 'quote' in the brackets. If you then add your reply underneath those marks, it will appear like this post has with the quoted text and your reply underneath it :)

Hope this helps,

Biff

I still know some Japanese/Korean from years past but Thai has been so difficult because the alphabet and sounds are not based what I know in English. Also, up north, they speak fast, different dialect, and even RosettaStone ain't helping. Wife tries to teach me but I can not even say the same short words she says let alone understand them. I need an English tutor for sure to learn. In Phayao will be difficult as the English language is not taught much to get a fluent English/to Thai speaking teacher.