Around The Chiangrai Area

ginooooo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you know you're coming for sure, here's the best way to prepare, in my opinion.

Watch every episode of Green Acres. Put yourself in the position of Oliver. Know that you're the odd man out and everything that goes on around you makes sense to all involved except you. Then, at some point, realize that what is wrong is you, not them. Become a part of what you're living and don't waste any time trying to get life or people to conform to your standards or your situation. The sooner you begin to think like Mr. Haney or Mr. Drucker or Eb, the sooner this life will become yours and the sooner you will become a part of this life.

As you arrive and settle in, here's some other things to remember. Don't ask why they do it this way or that way. Just accept that the way you are witnessing is THE way. Your old way isn't relevant. Go with THE way when you can. Realize that superstition carries a lot more weight in guiding life here than religion or government. Don't bother explaining to anyone that the superstition and folklore is not supported by science. What they know and what they have experienced is much more real to them than any "logic" that you might be able to offer to support your arguments. Don't think that you are superior because you know of better and more efficient ways of doing things. These people can do more with less than you would ever be able to do. These people can live in a jungle and get fat where you and I would starve to death for lack of food because we don't know that almost everything in front of us can be eaten. In this country, they ARE smarter than you and I and we are educated idiots.

If an elder tells you that you shouldn't move into your house on Tuesday but should wait instead for Thursday, just do as they said. What does it hurt to wait a day or two? If you have built a house with the front door and steps leading straight out of the house, change it. Make it so you have to turn left or right to approach the steps after you leave the doorway. Thais know that if you build the steps in a straight line to the door entrance, then the money of the house will flow too freely from that house and you will always suffer financial troubles while you live there. And on and on and on.

Smile and greet everyone you meet on the street or in shops with a hello, in their language or yours. They will reciprocate. If you don't make the first move when passing strangers, they won't won't either. It will appear that they don't even see you. But when you do make that first gesture, the huge smile you receive is a reward that will stay with you and will boost your day and your mood, every time.

Always remember that you are a guest here and this isn't your "home". You can't vote. It IS your life, but it isn't your home. You can't have a say in how things are done or about the future of the country. When you're dead and gone, there will probably be no evidence that you were ever here, no thing that anyone will ever be able to point to and say that YOU did that or YOU made this happen. You give up being a force that propels the now into the future when you leave your home. There isn't much chance of a legacy here for you. It CAN happen but unless you're a real go-getter, the chances are nil.

Stop in an see us for a hot or cold drink when you hit town. We're always happy to have guests, meet new people and give a warm welcome back to old friends. If we have a bit of advance notice that you're coming, we can have some other Farangs here for you to exchange contact info with and I'll even cook some hamburgers on the BBQ for everyone.

We have all kinds here on the forum. Resident psychiatrist, VF, and his favorite patient. Grumpy old men. Wise sages. Party folks, older and younger. One guy, very smart and extremely handsome, works with steel a lot. A few shutter-bugs. Some shop-aholics. A couple of future arrivals, same as you. Some people who are really into motorcycles. A few guys missing pieces and parts because they were really into motorcycles. A few guys with more women than is good for them because they are really into women. A few guys with no women because they are really into men. We have fluent Thai speakers, non- Thai speakers, intermediate Thai speakers and sign language Thai speakers (me). This country is great because NOBODY native to this land has ever heard of the "pull my finger" gag. That's one bit of sign language you can teach to everyone you meet. You should see the look on a fifty year old man's face when you do that to him. So, yeah, you can have a lot of fun here, too.

Whatever you do, don't buy a killer rottie when you get here. This place is overrun with them. I know of two and one-half already.

Edited by kandahar

I still know some Japanese/Korean from years past but Thai has been so difficult because the alphabet and sounds are not based what I know in English. Also, up north, they speak fast, different dialect, and even RosettaStone ain't helping. Wife tries to teach me but I can not even say the same short words she says let alone understand them. I need an English tutor for sure to learn. In Phayao will be difficult as the English language is not taught much to get a fluent English/to Thai speaking teacher.

Yes, I know they speak differently up North, but Central Thai is what they learn at school so, if you try that, it will get you understood. You'll need to try and forget the Japanese/Korean. Thai, being a tonal language, has special challenges for us. Here's a couple of resources that I found useful.

just gets you into the vocal sounds you need to start getting your mouth around.

Anything else you need help with, let me know, if I can help, I will

Cheers,

Biff

Wise words from a wise man. he's wrong about the legacy thing though :)

He was right about the delusional guy who works with steel though ;)

Ouch!

:lol:

mai bpen rai, mia khun kit wa sut lor chai mai khap? :)

Yes, every Friday night, whether I need it or not. We usually have popcorn with it. Thanks for asking.

Hey Biff. Its a bloody English language forum mate. you'll get arrested .

I am impressed with your Thai though Biff.

My language skills are dire. even my English.

Kd's Kinda Lor though in a handsome Hetrosexual way. :D

Edited by jubby

:lol: won't be the first time I got arrested ;)

My Thai's improving, thanks, well, I always think it is till I get up to the moo ban than I get confused/drunk and it all goes 'pffft' from there :lol:

Yeah I reckon the steel guy isn't too unpleasant on the eye :lol:

Wise words from a wise man. he's wrong about the legacy thing though :)

He was right about the delusional guy who works with steel though ;)

Ouch!

:lol:

mai bpen rai, mia khun kit wa sut lor chai mai khap? :)

Yes, every Friday night, whether I need it or not. We usually have popcorn with it. Thanks for asking.

:cheesy:

My Thai's improving, thanks, well, I always think it is till I get up to the moo ban than I get confused/drunk and it all goes 'pffft' from there :lol:

That's strange, back in my drinking days my fluency increased dramatically after a few sherbets. :whistling:

That's strange, back in my drinking days my fluency increased dramatically after a few sherbets. :whistling:

Yeah well, I think it improves, it certainly rolls of the tongue faster but, it transpires, I talk <deleted> when I'm drunk, in any language! :lol:

Only when your Drunk Biff :)

I find one 'pint of Knowledge' actually stimulates the grey matter, but it goes down hill quickly from there.

I have a 'graph' somewhere to show it if anyones interested B)

:lol: no, not exclusively when I'm drunk :D

I'm equally able to live up to my Native American pseudonym (Talking <deleted>) when intoxicated by the limitless wonders that nature and humanity bestow upon all of us in our present corporeal existence (See? Told you!).

Anyway, show us yer graph :P

If you know you're coming for sure, here's the best way to prepare, in my opinion.

Watch every episode of Green Acres. Put yourself in the position of Oliver. Know that you're the odd man out and everything that goes on around you makes sense to all involved except you. Then, at some point, realize that what is wrong is you, not them. Become a part of what you're living and don't waste any time trying to get life or people to conform to your standards or your situation. The sooner you begin to think like Mr. Haney or Mr. Drucker or Eb, the sooner this life will become yours and the sooner you will become a part of this life.

As you arrive and settle in, here's some other things to remember. Don't ask why they do it this way or that way. Just accept that the way you are witnessing is THE way. Your old way isn't relevant. Go with THE way when you can. Realize that superstition carries a lot more weight in guiding life here than religion or government. Don't bother explaining to anyone that the superstition and folklore is not supported by science. What they know and what they have experienced is much more real to them than any "logic" that you might be able to offer to support your arguments. Don't think that you are superior because you know of better and more efficient ways of doing things. These people can do more with less than you would ever be able to do. These people can live in a jungle and get fat where you and I would starve to death for lack of food because we don't know that almost everything in front of us can be eaten. In this country, they ARE smarter than you and I and we are educated idiots.

If an elder tells you that you shouldn't move into your house on Tuesday but should wait instead for Thursday, just do as they said. What does it hurt to wait a day or two? If you have built a house with the front door and steps leading straight out of the house, change it. Make it so you have to turn left or right to approach the steps after you leave the doorway. Thais know that if you build the steps in a straight line to the door entrance, then the money of the house will flow too freely from that house and you will always suffer financial troubles while you live there. And on and on and on.

Smile and greet everyone you meet on the street or in shops with a hello, in their language or yours. They will reciprocate. If you don't make the first move when passing strangers, they won't won't either. It will appear that they don't even see you. But when you do make that first gesture, the huge smile you receive is a reward that will stay with you and will boost your day and your mood, every time.

Always remember that you are a guest here and this isn't your "home". You can't vote. It IS your life, but it isn't your home. You can't have a say in how things are done or about the future of the country. When you're dead and gone, there will probably be no evidence that you were ever here, no thing that anyone will ever be able to point to and say that YOU did that or YOU made this happen. You give up being a force that propels the now into the future when you leave your home. There isn't much chance of a legacy here for you. It CAN happen but unless you're a real go-getter, the chances are nil.

Stop in an see us for a hot or cold drink when you hit town. We're always happy to have guests, meet new people and give a warm welcome back to old friends. If we have a bit of advance notice that you're coming, we can have some other Farangs here for you to exchange contact info with and I'll even cook some hamburgers on the BBQ for everyone.

We have all kinds here on the forum. Resident psychiatrist, VF, and his favorite patient. Grumpy old men. Wise sages. Party folks, older and younger. One guy, very smart and extremely handsome, works with steel a lot. A few shutter-bugs. Some shop-aholics. A couple of future arrivals, same as you. Some people who are really into motorcycles. A few guys missing pieces and parts because they were really into motorcycles. A few guys with more women than is good for them because they are really into women. A few guys with no women because they are really into men. We have fluent Thai speakers, non- Thai speakers, intermediate Thai speakers and sign language Thai speakers (me). This country is great because NOBODY native to this land has ever heard of the "pull my finger" gag. That's one bit of sign language you can teach to everyone you meet. You should see the look on a fifty year old man's face when you do that to him. So, yeah, you can have a lot of fun here, too.

Whatever you do, don't buy a killer rottie when you get here. This place is overrun with them. I know of two and one-half already.

This country is great because NOBODY native to this land has ever heard of the "pull my finger" gag. That's one bit of sign language you can teach to everyone you meet. You should see the look on a fifty year old man's face when you do that to him. So, yeah, you can have a lot of fun here, too.

Still haven't got the hang of that 'reply' button ay Gino? :lol: you've got about....15 minutes (from the time of this post) before the 'edit post' function disappears :)

Thank you for going in depth for explaining some of the culture and believe me, been married to my wife now for 30 years and she still amazes me with her "Thai-ness idiosyncrasies. But I know it was the way she was brought up. Believe me, I plan on not stepping on any toes there-just drink my beer, computer, golf, and tv. The rest will come with the territory. Know about those "strong" days, they believe in ghosts, etc but did not know about the door thingy. I go to Chiangrai a few times out of the month I am there to go to that shopping center and my wife's aunt and uncle live there. Got 1 in Phayao but lacking some American food stuff.

As Sarah Palin would say-You betcha! I would love to drop in sometimes and perhaps in Feb when i visit before the move, I will keep in touch here and looking forward to meeting some ex-pats in person. I can learn so much from you guys which will make my stay there fun and and so much more enjoyable.

• Like 1

This country is great because NOBODY native to this land has ever heard of the "pull my finger" gag. That's one bit of sign language you can teach to everyone you meet. You should see the look on a fifty year old man's face when you do that to him. So, yeah, you can have a lot of fun here, too.

Still haven't got the hang of that 'reply' button ay Gino? :lol: you've got about....15 minutes (from the time of this post) before the 'edit post' function disappears :)

Sorry, mate. Must be the beer or being senile. This should work.

I still know some Japanese/Korean from years past but Thai has been so difficult because the alphabet and sounds are not based what I know in English. Also, up north, they speak fast, different dialect, and even RosettaStone ain't helping. Wife tries to teach me but I can not even say the same short words she says let alone understand them. I need an English tutor for sure to learn. In Phayao will be difficult as the English language is not taught much to get a fluent English/to Thai speaking teacher.

Yes, I know they speak differently up North, but Central Thai is what they learn at school so, if you try that, it will get you understood. You'll need to try and forget the Japanese/Korean. Thai, being a tonal language, has special challenges for us. Here's a couple of resources that I found useful.

just gets you into the vocal sounds you need to start getting your mouth around.

Anything else you need help with, let me know, if I can help, I will

Cheers,

Biff

Thanks again, Biff. Believe me-Rosseta Stone ain't helping me much.

No problem, don't give up, I think it's a good idea to keep looking until you find something that works for you.

i found this book very useful http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thai-Beginners-Benjawan-Poomsan-Becker/dp/1887521003

It's recommended by the knowledgeable folks in the Thai Language Forum here on Thai Visa too :)

There's also a CD-ROM version, which apparently works well too.

When I first started to learn with my g/f we didn't get far, I guess it's kinda like teaching your wife to drive...DON'T! :lol:

After I got a little better on my own she stopped hitting me so much :) Now I can string a few sentences together, it's still pretty basic but the work has paid off. Now she hits me for completely different reasons! :)

Enjoy your learning, Let me know if you need anything and I'll do my best to hunt it down for you.

How did you find the links I sent you in the private message? Any good?

No problem, don't give up, I think it's a good idea to keep looking until you find something that works for you.

i found this book very useful http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/1887521003

It's recommended by the knowledgeable folks in the Thai Language Forum here on Thai Visa too :)

When I first started to learn with my g/f we didn't get far, I guess it's kinda like teaching your wife to drive...DON'T! :lol:

After I got a little better on my own she stopped hitting me so much :) Now I can string a few sentences together, it's still pretty basic but the work has paid off. Now she hits me for completely different reasons! :)

Enjoy your learning, Let me know if you need anything and I'll do my best to hunt it down for you.

Still trying to learn some of the functionality of this board. Just seen your website on your profile and very nice. Checked my email and can not find the private message. Got 2 from another guy, though that lived in Phayao.

i found this book very useful http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/1887521003

Still trying to learn some of the functionality of this board. Just seen your website on your profile and very nice. Checked my email and can not find the private message. Got 2 from another guy, though that lived in Phayao.

Ok, I'll have a look and send it again, you should be able to see it in your 'messenger' on this site without needing to check your email.

Have a look up at the top of the page, there's a grey bar with some buttons on it, messenger's the 3rd from the left.

Thanks for the comment on the website, unfortunately I've neglected it recently, due to being stuck in London :)