Taco Bell Relaunches In Korea

Jingthing

I am not a Taco Bell fan but I know many of you are. Considering what a wasteland Pattaya is for Mexican food, even I would now welcome Taco Bell here. Who knows, it could popularize tacos, etc. and may eventually spawn many more more authentic Mexican places.

Yang says the restaurant might soon put up a sign showing newcomers how to properly eat a taco; so far, he has noticed South Koreans struggle to angle their heads, leading to a "taco at the wrong orientation," and spillage of ingredients.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/24/AR2010092402715.html

Edited by Jingthing

Unfortunately, we will never see Taco Bell in Thailand. Thailand is much different than Korea. First, Koreans want to explore eating different cuisines, The Thais don't. Only recently have pizza and burgers caught on with the Thais. Even then, only as a rare novelty meal, and often adapted to their own tastes. KFC has been the exception, but fried chicken already was already popular all over Asia, and Yum! only needed to adapt its menu to the local tastes.

Second, the Koreans have already shown interest in Mexican food. Examples of this are the doomed for failure venture on Klang, Taco Valley, and Kogi BBQ's wildly popular Korean-Mexican burrito truck in L.A. kogibbq.com. Even before Kogi, Korean burritos could be found throughout much of west LA.

Despite all of this, I think a really innovative and inspired entrepreneur could build a successful Taco Bell franchise in Thailand, It would mean radically changing the menu. They would have to offer more items that don't have beans and tortillas, The menu would need to feature more rice, corn , seafood and vegetables. Some menu items might need to be sweetened. But, after all these adaptations, it wouldn't really resemble Mexican food, would it?

The nearest one is in the Philippines, Ive been there and it was awesome!

I agree ive shared mexican food with thais and every time they do not like the flavor. That being said, there is no reason why they wouldn't like say phet kapaow moo wrapped in a tortilla or any other thai dish served in this style. Thais generally don't like too much bread so a tortilla is perfect.

The one in the Philipines was pretty much the same as in america so i'm not sure if Taco Bell would modify their menu to suit the thais. I don't even think there is a thai word for taco or burrito.

So it is established that Thais generally aren't fond of cheese and beans. But you know, there is the real Mexican version of tacos that has only meat, corn tortillas, and hot salsa in it. Why wouldn't many or most Thais like that?

Edited by Jingthing

So it is established that Thais generally aren't fond of cheese and beans. But you know, there is the real Mexican version of tacos that has only meat, corn tortillas, and hot salsa in it. Why wouldn't many or most Thais like that?

Sweeten it up and put it over rice and they will like it. I made poblano beef mole for lunch today for my GF and her brother. They loved it. Served over rice, of course. I have gotten quite a bit of resistance to tortillas, but this might be overcome with time.

Sweeten it up and put it over rice and they will like it. I made poblano beef mole for lunch today for my GF and her brother. They loved it. Served over rice, of course. I have gotten quite a bit of resistance to tortillas, but this might be overcome with time.

Sounds like MAXican food, not Mexican. Thai palates are funny sometimes.

come to think of it, Ive offered a few thais chips and salsa, which is nothing more than ingredients thais eat already no problem and they haven't liked it. It must be the combination of flavors that turns them off.. Look at pizza, thais will eat it, but they usually slather an inch of mayonnaise on top and it has to be all crazy looking with seafood and sausages stuffed everywhere, probably to mask the actual taste.

Like I said, the only one in all of asia was Manilla and hardly any in europe if at all, which says something.

Edited by BillR

come to think of it, Ive offered a few thais chips and salsa, which is nothing more than ingredients thais eat already no problem and they haven't liked it. It must be the combination of flavors that turns them off.. Look at pizza, thais will eat it, but they usually slather an inch of mayonnaise on top and it has to be all crazy looking with seafood and sausages stuffed everywhere, probably to mask the actual taste.

Like I said, the only one in all of asia was Manilla and hardly any in europe if at all, which says something.

Thais like a sweet taste when they eat bread. They obviously do eat bread, that's why 7/11 sells it. But notice it is almost always sweetened either with sugar or fruit. That may explain why they slather pizza with mayo and ketchup. As we discussed in another thread, Thai mayo is sweetened, and they prefer that sweeter tomato sauce to ketchup. So, even though there is some Indian influence in Thai cooking, you don't see Thais eating flat breads or nan very often.

So, I don't think Thais would be too keen on tortillas. There may be ways to introduce them to the taste. For instance, they might find wraps palatable, if the filling is to their liking (for instance, fried chicken with mayo). I have found that Lays makes a kind of tortilla chip in Thailand. In the U.S., they were called "3D's". They're like a cross between bugles and doritos. They aren't bad, but I've only seen them sold as a 10 baht bag in a very rural convenience store in Klaeng. They come in 2 flavors: honey bbq and spicy. The honey bbq is sweet, so not to my liking, but the spicy isn't bad.

although I haven't spent much time in LA in many years my understanding is that korean immigrants are widely distributed, central, east and south whereas the thais stay in their own thai ghetto with their own food, etc...the koreans appear to be more adaptable and hence may be more receptive to Taco Bell in korea...

the above is just a second hand observation...when I was in Philadelphia about 3 years ago I ate Taco Bell every night; couldn't get enough...can't find any 'authentic' mex restaurants around there (plenty of pizza places and nice!) so settled for what was available...

the large black woman taking my order: 'yew comes here a lot, yew likes dis food, yeah...'

tutsi: 'well, you see, I'm from California and presently work in saudi but I live in Thailand and yadda, yadda, yadda...and I like mexican food...' :ermm:

she turned to the preparation counter to assemble my order and was probably thinkin': 'dem white folks sure is crazy...'

she was mistaken: I'm half bolivian/indigenous andean but I did not want to further complicate the matter... :(

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 3 months later...

I think they would. My wife (Thai) didn't like the Mexican food served in Bangkok but when we finally visited Mexico together, she loved the traditional tacos served at taco stands, etc. Often leaving the tortillas behind and eating the grilled meats with a lot of salsa, she said it reminded her of Isan food (tho she's from Minburi). She also liked the tacos at Tacos & Salsa once they opened, years later. She even liked the burritos in Baja. The only kind she'd tasted before were the American style where they mix beans, rice and meat altogether, which aren't to her taste at all. I don't mind that style - esp when you're starving, as they're huge - but prefer real Baja/Sonora style where you can actually taste the grilled meats and vegies.

I actually think Taco Bell might go over well in Bangkok these days, as the Thais seem ready to accept almost any cuisine that's presented as an international chain, even when it sucks. ;)

Edited by SpoliaOpima

I actually think Taco Bell might go over well in Bangkok these days, as the Thais seem ready to accept almost any cuisine that's presented as an international chain, even when it sucks. ;)

I believe this to be true as thais appear to be receptive to intensive promotional campaigns...another opportunity for thai marketing folks to present their splendid TV adverts that we all enjoy...thais in sombreros with bandoleros shooting the place up before stopping for a taco and a coke...:D

kinda wish that they Taco Bell in rural vietnam...it would certainly improve my quality of life...;)

Tutsi, as a longtime resident and still periodic visitor, I'd have to disagree with what you say below...

As follows: In the L.A. area, and probably California at large, there are absolutely more Koreans than there are Thais... In L.A., both have a "Town" area, with KoreaTown being much larger than ThaiTown... That said, Thais are spread out all around Southern California, as are Thai restaurants.... If anything, home wise, I'd guess the Koreans are more concentrated in a couple of areas, being Korea Town and lately moving big time into the San Fernando Valley....which now has its own Korean shopping center...corner of Nordhoff and Devonshire.

As for adaptability to Mexican food, I'm not sure about that... The Koreans I've known in CA are pretty stuck on Korean food, whereas the Thais I've known, and I have many close Thai friends there, seem to have assimilated more into the American society around them, whereas the Koreans seem to be more insular... That's just my two cents having had a lot of contact with both communities there thru the years.

It probably depends some too on the generation... whether you're talking about younger folks who grew up in the USA vs. older folks who were born abroad and then immigrated to the U.S. The born in the USA variety certainly are likely to be more receptive.

although I haven't spent much time in LA in many years my understanding is that korean immigrants are widely distributed, central, east and south whereas the thais stay in their own thai ghetto with their own food, etc...the koreans appear to be more adaptable and hence may be more receptive to Taco Bell in korea...

I also think some members here are over-stereotyping Thais attitude toward Mexican food... For the street level Thai person, maybe so...

But, if you head on over to La Monita in BKK any day, which probably serves the best Mexican food in Bangkok, you'll find lots of Thais chowing down on meals there... and they seem to be Thais who are well off based on dress and appearance...perhaps because of some connection with the owner there...

From talking with the owner of Sunrise Tacos in the past, it seems that he also was saying they did a decent amount of Thai customer business...though I can't remember the exact estimate...

As has been discussed before, a Thai oriented menu and perhaps some tie-in with Pizza Hut and/or KFC locations probably would be the way to go.... Whether it could ever become a mass market thing here, that I'm not sure. It probably could, but it would take a lot of time, marketing muscle and money...

Another example...some people think Thai's don't like or won't eat beef. Well, we were in Khao Yai last weekend and stopped by the Chok Chai steakhouse (and farm) complex there two different times... On Christmas Day, the place was mobbed with Thais...not farang... Thais... And on one visit, I sat in their fast food "Steak Burgers" outlet there surrounded by Thais chowing down on hamburgers and french fries...though they also had pork and chicken burgers on the menu, I recall.... During the other visit, my Thai wife amazed me by wolfing down what must have been a 12 oz. T-Bone steak...and that wasn't the first time.

Some Thais like beef, some don't. Same as everywhere really. As for Thais disliking foreign foods, depends on the Thai, educational level hasn't been an indicator in my experience, just an open mind. My inlaws love my cooking and regularly ask me to make them a chimichanga, including my 75 year old FIL.

I'd eat at a Taco Bell I think, but yeah, La Monita is always full of Thais.

Probably a story somewhere in that one, SBK... :)

Of course, it could also be that most chimichangas are deep fried in oil, which is a very popular cooking technique here...

My inlaws love my cooking and regularly ask me to make them a chimichanga, including my 75 year old FIL.

I'd eat at a Taco Bell I think, but yeah, La Monita is always full of Thais.

I have traveled extensively with 6 Thais in the US, and not so extensively with at least a dozen others. And except for an American-born daughter of one Thai couple, pretty much all of them like Mexican food. Maybe not so much the rice (which most seem not to like) and the beans, and some won't eat beef, but the carnitas, al pastor, and fish tacos all have seemed to go over well, and all seem to like guacamole. And as far as non-fast food, I have eaten full meals with three Thais who all seem to love regular Mexican cooking. In Thailand, I often cook carnitas to serve to Thai guests.

Having said that, I really don't like Taco Bell. The seasoning is too "styrofoam" and I am not a fan of hard shells. On the other hand, I love the Jack-in-the-Box tacos, and they are hardly authentic.

Every time I eat at Taco Bell, no matter what I seem to order, (and I have at times been tempted to eat there by their omni present advertising in the U.S.) I invariably get a case of urgent bathroom visit.... I think they must be mixing laxative in with their frijoles.. :blink:

And for the record, never have that reaction anywhere else.... :bah:

Every time I eat at Taco Bell, no matter what I seem to order, (and I have at times been tempted to eat there by their omni present advertising in the U.S.) I invariably get a case of urgent bathroom visit.... I think they must be mixing laxative in with their frijoles.. :blink:

And for the record, never have that reaction anywhere else.... :bah:

I get the same urge after a 3 letter chicken company here. not immediate but could set my watch to it.

I have traveled extensively with 6 Thais in the US, and not so extensively with at least a dozen others. And except for an American-born daughter of one Thai couple, pretty much all of them like Mexican food. Maybe not so much the rice (which most seem not to like) and the beans, and some won't eat beef, but the carnitas, al pastor, and fish tacos all have seemed to go over well, and all seem to like guacamole. And as far as non-fast food, I have eaten full meals with three Thais who all seem to love regular Mexican cooking. In Thailand, I often cook carnitas to serve to Thai guests.

Having said that, I really don't like Taco Bell. The seasoning is too "styrofoam" and I am not a fan of hard shells. On the other hand, I love the Jack-in-the-Box tacos, and they are hardly authentic.

I agree that if you can get Thais to try Mexican food, they will like it. I have found they like rice, meat/fish dishes and guacamole. They really don't like tortillas, soft or fried, and they don't like frijoles. They will eat cheese, but they're not enamored with it like westerners. Any Taco Bell would be so mutated by adapting to Thai tastes, that it would not resemble the gringoized American restaurant icon.

I agree that if you can get Thais to try Mexican food, they will like it. I have found they like rice, meat/fish dishes and guacamole. They really don't like tortillas, soft or fried, and they don't like frijoles. They will eat cheese, but they're not enamored with it like westerners. Any Taco Bell would be so mutated by adapting to Thai tastes, that it would not resemble the gringoized American restaurant icon.

I don;t know, I could really go for a tom yum khung hot dog laden taco with cocktail sauce right now. :unsure:

I think Taco Bell would do screaming business in the tourist areas. Look at all the mexican restaurants that have cropped up in the last few years. Even the supermarket shelves are getting bigger and bigger selections of mexican food and spices every year.

Someone else said that La Monita is always full of Thais. I agree. Mexican food is coming. Taco Bell needs to jump into the game quickly. I cook mexican for my Thai friends all the time and they love it. Having said that, I think the older Thais are very strict about their Thai diet, but the younger Thais seem to be very open to international food.

I wish Taco Bell would hurry, I am going through shakes and withdrawls.

A decade or more ago there used to be a Taco Bell-style place in Siam Square called Taco Time. It didn't do well at all and eventually went out of business. It was better than Taco Bell, IMO -- but not by much.

I think Bkk Thais are much more open to international cuisines than they were back then, esp when served in a fast-food format, with a limited menu that is easy to understand, and esp if you cater to their tastes when serving. Like when you order pizza and receive 10 sachets of ketchup with your order. ;)

When it comes to Italian, one of the most popular restos is still Paesano, where flavors are heavily Thai-oriented. You won't find so many Thais at the more authentic Italian places like Calderazzo or La Bottega di Luca. It has to be a bit watered down or altered - like in the case of my wife, who likes tacos - but not the tortillas they come in.

So the fact that Taco Bell is barely Mexican in flavor might play out well. I'd much rather see Jorge put bread on his table than a multinational, but you rarely see Thais at Tacos & Salsa, unless they have arrived in the company of foreigners. I think it's likely to remain that way.

,,,, but you rarely see Thais at Tacos & Salsa, unless they have arrived in the company of foreigners. I think it's likely to remain that way.

Probably won't see many Thais at Tacos & Salsa now that it has closed, more's the pity.