BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Jingthing

Taco Bell Relaunches In Korea

I am not a Taco Bell fan but I know many of you are. Considering what a wasteland Pattaya is for Mexican food, even I would now welcome Taco Bell here. Who knows, it could popularize tacos, etc. and may eventually spawn many more more authentic Mexican places.

Yang says the restaurant might soon put up a sign showing newcomers how to properly eat a taco; so far, he has noticed South Koreans struggle to angle their heads, leading to a "taco at the wrong orientation," and spillage of ingredients.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/24/AR2010092402715.html

Edited by Jingthing

Unfortunately, we will never see Taco Bell in Thailand. Thailand is much different than Korea. First, Koreans want to explore eating different cuisines, The Thais don't. Only recently have pizza and burgers caught on with the Thais. Even then, only as a rare novelty meal, and often adapted to their own tastes. KFC has been the exception, but fried chicken already was already popular all over Asia, and Yum! only needed to adapt its menu to the local tastes.

Second, the Koreans have already shown interest in Mexican food. Examples of this are the doomed for failure venture on Klang, Taco Valley, and Kogi BBQ's wildly popular Korean-Mexican burrito truck in L.A. kogibbq.com. Even before Kogi, Korean burritos could be found throughout much of west LA.

Despite all of this, I think a really innovative and inspired entrepreneur could build a successful Taco Bell franchise in Thailand, It would mean radically changing the menu. They would have to offer more items that don't have beans and tortillas, The menu would need to feature more rice, corn , seafood and vegetables. Some menu items might need to be sweetened. But, after all these adaptations, it wouldn't really resemble Mexican food, would it?

The nearest one is in the Philippines, Ive been there and it was awesome!

I agree ive shared mexican food with thais and every time they do not like the flavor. That being said, there is no reason why they wouldn't like say phet kapaow moo wrapped in a tortilla or any other thai dish served in this style. Thais generally don't like too much bread so a tortilla is perfect.

The one in the Philipines was pretty much the same as in america so i'm not sure if Taco Bell would modify their menu to suit the thais. I don't even think there is a thai word for taco or burrito.

So it is established that Thais generally aren't fond of cheese and beans. But you know, there is the real Mexican version of tacos that has only meat, corn tortillas, and hot salsa in it. Why wouldn't many or most Thais like that?

Edited by Jingthing

So it is established that Thais generally aren't fond of cheese and beans. But you know, there is the real Mexican version of tacos that has only meat, corn tortillas, and hot salsa in it. Why wouldn't many or most Thais like that?

Sweeten it up and put it over rice and they will like it. I made poblano beef mole for lunch today for my GF and her brother. They loved it. Served over rice, of course. I have gotten quite a bit of resistance to tortillas, but this might be overcome with time.

Sweeten it up and put it over rice and they will like it. I made poblano beef mole for lunch today for my GF and her brother. They loved it. Served over rice, of course. I have gotten quite a bit of resistance to tortillas, but this might be overcome with time.

Sounds like MAXican food, not Mexican. Thai palates are funny sometimes.

come to think of it, Ive offered a few thais chips and salsa, which is nothing more than ingredients thais eat already no problem and they haven't liked it. It must be the combination of flavors that turns them off.. Look at pizza, thais will eat it, but they usually slather an inch of mayonnaise on top and it has to be all crazy looking with seafood and sausages stuffed everywhere, probably to mask the actual taste.

Like I said, the only one in all of asia was Manilla and hardly any in europe if at all, which says something.

Edited by BillR

come to think of it, Ive offered a few thais chips and salsa, which is nothing more than ingredients thais eat already no problem and they haven't liked it. It must be the combination of flavors that turns them off.. Look at pizza, thais will eat it, but they usually slather an inch of mayonnaise on top and it has to be all crazy looking with seafood and sausages stuffed everywhere, probably to mask the actual taste.

Like I said, the only one in all of asia was Manilla and hardly any in europe if at all, which says something.

Thais like a sweet taste when they eat bread. They obviously do eat bread, that's why 7/11 sells it. But notice it is almost always sweetened either with sugar or fruit. That may explain why they slather pizza with mayo and ketchup. As we discussed in another thread, Thai mayo is sweetened, and they prefer that sweeter tomato sauce to ketchup. So, even though there is some Indian influence in Thai cooking, you don't see Thais eating flat breads or nan very often.

So, I don't think Thais would be too keen on tortillas. There may be ways to introduce them to the taste. For instance, they might find wraps palatable, if the filling is to their liking (for instance, fried chicken with mayo). I have found that Lays makes a kind of tortilla chip in Thailand. In the U.S., they were called "3D's". They're like a cross between bugles and doritos. They aren't bad, but I've only seen them sold as a 10 baht bag in a very rural convenience store in Klaeng. They come in 2 flavors: honey bbq and spicy. The honey bbq is sweet, so not to my liking, but the spicy isn't bad.

In California, Thai wraps are somewhat popular. For example grilled chicken with satay sauce in a flour tortilla. Don't know if Thais would like that, but I am pretty sure what most Thais would like in faux Mexican food, I wouldn't like!

although I haven't spent much time in LA in many years my understanding is that korean immigrants are widely distributed, central, east and south whereas the thais stay in their own thai ghetto with their own food, etc...the koreans appear to be more adaptable and hence may be more receptive to Taco Bell in korea...

the above is just a second hand observation...when I was in Philadelphia about 3 years ago I ate Taco Bell every night; couldn't get enough...can't find any 'authentic' mex restaurants around there (plenty of pizza places and nice!) so settled for what was available...

the large black woman taking my order: 'yew comes here a lot, yew likes dis food, yeah...'

tutsi: 'well, you see, I'm from California and presently work in saudi but I live in Thailand and yadda, yadda, yadda...and I like mexican food...' :ermm:

she turned to the preparation counter to assemble my order and was probably thinkin': 'dem white folks sure is crazy...'

she was mistaken: I'm half bolivian/indigenous andean but I did not want to further complicate the matter... :(

Edited by tutsiwarrior

But, after all these adaptations, it wouldn't really resemble Mexican food, would it?

It hardly does now. :D

I think they would. My wife (Thai) didn't like the Mexican food served in Bangkok but when we finally visited Mexico together, she loved the traditional tacos served at taco stands, etc. Often leaving the tortillas behind and eating the grilled meats with a lot of salsa, she said it reminded her of Isan food (tho she's from Minburi). She also liked the tacos at Tacos & Salsa once they opened, years later. She even liked the burritos in Baja. The only kind she'd tasted before were the American style where they mix beans, rice and meat altogether, which aren't to her taste at all. I don't mind that style - esp when you're starving, as they're huge - but prefer real Baja/Sonora style where you can actually taste the grilled meats and vegies.

I actually think Taco Bell might go over well in Bangkok these days, as the Thais seem ready to accept almost any cuisine that's presented as an international chain, even when it sucks. ;)

Edited by SpoliaOpima

I actually think Taco Bell might go over well in Bangkok these days, as the Thais seem ready to accept almost any cuisine that's presented as an international chain, even when it sucks. ;)

I believe this to be true as thais appear to be receptive to intensive promotional campaigns...another opportunity for thai marketing folks to present their splendid TV adverts that we all enjoy...thais in sombreros with bandoleros shooting the place up before stopping for a taco and a coke...:D

kinda wish that they Taco Bell in rural vietnam...it would certainly improve my quality of life...;)

I disagree. Taco Bell doesn't have the cachet of Krispy Kreme or Starbucks. No promotional blitz is going to overcome the Thai's dislike of most foreign foods.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox