Taco Bell Relaunches In Korea

Jingthing

A decade or more ago there used to be a Taco Bell-style place in Siam Square called Taco Time. It didn't do well at all and eventually went out of business. It was better than Taco Bell

I respectfully disagree. It might have been a little more like real Mexican food than Taco Bell, but it was not at all tasty and Taco Bell is (if you are not expecting authentic Mexican food).

,,,, but you rarely see Thais at Tacos & Salsa, unless they have arrived in the company of foreigners. I think it's likely to remain that way.

Probably won't see many Thais at Tacos & Salsa now that it has closed, more's the pity.

T&S reopened on Soi 18. Grand opening is January 7.

That is great news, even if I now have juevos on my face! It is opening with Jorge running it? Same food and everything?

,,,, but you rarely see Thais at Tacos & Salsa, unless they have arrived in the company of foreigners. I think it's likely to remain that way.

Probably won't see many Thais at Tacos & Salsa now that it has closed, more's the pity.

T&S reopened on Soi 18. Grand opening is January 7.

That is great news, even if I now have juevos on my face! It is opening with Jorge running it? Same food and everything?

It's Jorge. He hasn't changed the menu.

• 3 weeks later...

A decade or more ago there used to be a Taco Bell-style place in Siam Square called Taco Time. It didn't do well at all and eventually went out of business. It was better than Taco Bell

I respectfully disagree. It might have been a little more like real Mexican food than Taco Bell, but it was not at all tasty and Taco Bell is (if you are not expecting authentic Mexican food).

Cool, everyone's entitled to their opinion. Taco Bell, serves about the worst excuse for Mexico food - of any variety, including CalMex and TexMex - I've ever had. Taco Time was very much patterned after Taco Bell, and it was nothing like real Mexican food. But the place used better ingredients, IMO, than any TB in the States I'd ever tried, and for me it just tasted a notch better - not more 'real', just better.

It's Jorge. He hasn't changed the menu.

Do you know if he has anything special planned for the Grand Opening?

Jorge threw a nice grand opening, packed both floors with gringos, Thais and Mexicans alike. I talked to him briefly and he mentioned that someone else was helping out this time, but I forget exactly who he said it was -- seems like they weren't Thai but I could be wrong. Good buffet that night, and good tunes on the second floor. Long may it last.

• 1 month later...

Loooooooooooooooove Taco Bell! It about time Asia fot a Taco Bell! I had a burrito at Taco Bell in Korea years ago! But it was on the US military base! Its like a little American town. Gud to hear that Koreans can now pig out at TACO BELL!!! YEAH!!

Thailand has Subway, Burger King, Mc D etc. Taco Bell would complement the fast food outtlets already ionThailand!

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, we will never see Taco Bell in Thailand. Thailand is much different than Korea. First, Koreans want to explore eating different cuisines, The Thais don't. Only recently have pizza and burgers caught on with the Thais. Even then, only as a rare novelty meal, and often adapted to their own tastes. KFC has been the exception, but fried chicken already was already popular all over Asia, and Yum! only needed to adapt its menu to the local tastes.

Second, the Koreans have already shown interest in Mexican food. Examples of this are the doomed for failure venture on Klang, Taco Valley, and Kogi BBQ's wildly popular Korean-Mexican burrito truck in L.A. kogibbq.com. Even before Kogi, Korean burritos could be found throughout much of west LA.

Despite all of this, I think a really innovative and inspired entrepreneur could build a successful Taco Bell franchise in Thailand, It would mean radically changing the menu. They would have to offer more items that don't have beans and tortillas, The menu would need to feature more rice, corn , seafood and vegetables. Some menu items might need to be sweetened. But, after all these adaptations, it wouldn't really resemble Mexican food, would it?

there was a taco time in Siam square about 10 years ago. Wendys too.

Edited by nocturn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I posted this in the Chiang Mai section but it will not hurt to post again.

My mother used to make this dish, she would nuke velveeta cheese with salsa and we would then put it in hard shell taco shells and then put corn chips on top. Put some sour cream on top of the corn chips. Just as good as taco bell.