Urgent Help Need! Tourist visa expires tomorrow

Hey i just looked at my passport and turns out my 60 day tourist visa expires tomorrow! I thought it expired next week (which was when i was going to go to immigration to renew it.

So now i'm stuck because the immigration office is closed tomorrow for the holiday! So now i'm freaking now thinking i have to get out of the country now or i'll get killed or something.

Do you think they would let me extend my visa on Monday (and pay the 200 baht per day fine), or would it be a massive problem and i should try to leave the country tomorrow and re-enter.

Since your visa expires on a holiday, if you go to the immigration office on Monday and pay 1900 baht to extend your tourist visa for 15 days there should not be any penalty.

I haven't had a tourist visa for a while, but don't you get 30 days extention?

If you ask for 15, for sure will only get 15.

dave 111223 - you are panicking like a woman!

Just be aware, as you obviously are, that you are on "over-stay".

I don't think you are the type to unnecessarily draw attention to yourself - and bring yourself to the attention of the authorities and immigration. Just leave the country when it is convenient for you, bearing in mind that when you do so, you will be liable for a 200 baht a day overstay fine. Simple.

Too often, posters to this forum are cowered into thinking that the wrath of the Thai government will fall upon them for the slightest transgression of the rules, when in reality the opposite is the truth.

Immigration fees......biggest money making racket in the country!

Do NOT overstay.

You do not have to be

"the type to unnecessarily draw attention to yourself"

to have your passport checked by Police.

The Police have stopped my Taxi - along with all other vehicles

- in a Suburban Soi - about 10pm - Several times - and checked

my Passport.

If you are caught before you get to Immigration or the Airport

you could be in serious trouble.

Is Suan Phlu open on Saturdays?

Is it open THIS holiday week-end on 23rd?

Bill

go to immigration bangkok first thing as they open after the holiday. They will let you extend for 10 days only and with a little smile here and there you shouldnt even have to pay for one days overstay. Take a thai speaker with you if you can.

I got away with a 2 day overstay a few years ago because imm were closed due to holidays.

Things were a bit more relaxed then, although I doubt you'll have any trouble over this holiday period as long as you're polite.

Hey i just looked at my passport and turns out my 60 day tourist visa expires tomorrow!  I thought it expired next week (which was when i was going to go to immigration to renew it.

Next time look at your entry stamp when you get it, then look at your diary, and look at the weekends/public holidays, and then plan exactly when to renew it.

No excuse really.

Hey i just looked at my passport and turns out my 60 day tourist visa expires tomorrow!  I thought it expired next week (which was when i was going to go to immigration to renew it.

Next time look at your entry stamp when you get it, then look at your diary, and look at the weekends/public holidays, and then plan exactly when to renew it.

No excuse really.

Like he needed someone to tell him that ! :o

No excuse really.

Like he needed someone to tell him that ! :o

the sad truth is that lots of people DO need to be told that !

So now i'm stuck because the immigration office is closed tomorrow for the holiday!  So now i'm freaking now thinking i have to get out of the country now or i'll get killed or something.

Do you think they would let me extend my visa on Monday (and pay the 200 baht per day fine), or would it be a massive problem and i should try to leave the country tomorrow and re-enter.

Relax, nobody is going to kill you or do unmentionables to you. One time my visa expired on a holiday but they would not accept that as an excuse I still had to pay the 200bt daily fine.

If you want to jump the border same thing 200bt fine but consider the others in your group who might get pissed off at having to wait for you to sort overstay out.

Relax Enjoy :o:D:D

Thanks for responses, i've calmed down quite a bit, i've decided just go in there on monday and pay the fines, 600 baht for extra 3 days is not so bad, but what is this about "10 days or 15 days max extension" i was under the impression you could get it for 30 days. I'm not leaving til the end of august so a 10 or 15 day extension wouldnt do much good. If this is so i may as well just be on over-stay til i leave right?

I'm not too concerned about getting stopped by police over and asked for passport, i've been stopped before but just flash them my thammasat student ID (studied there last year) and they just leave me alone.

I got in this situation because I made the mistake of thinking "60 days, oh thats 2 months!" wrong :o Also got sucker by the holiday.

I wouldnt advise you to overstay until the end of August ,but you obviously know the dangers so thats up to you...........one thing to point out though is that its going to cost you 38 days overstay at 200 baht/day it would be easier and cheaper just to extend whether it be 15 days or 30 days (here in Pattaya its 30 days) and then do a "border run" for a 30 day "stamp" as neither 15 or 30 days would see you until the end of August anyways.

Not trying to lecture but try and keep your visa and stays in order while your here. :o

In my experience if you are holding a 30 day entry stamp, immigration may extend this by 7 days. If you catch an officer in a good mood then you may even be allowed 10 days. If you are holding a 60 day tourist visa then immigration may extend this by a further 30 days.

Cost for each of the above is Bht 1,900.00.

If you overstay, you are breaking the law. It is also likely that any overstay will be recorded in your passport and whenever you present your passport to immigration in the future (until expiry thereof) you will be seen as a lawbreaker.

Edited by jayenram

Ok i figured i'd post the outcome of my visa story:

Went down to Immigration department in Sathorn on Monday 25th, so 3 days after my visa had already expired on the 22nd.

Filled out the application, paid only 1,900 baht (no over-stay fees).

Got a 30day Visa, and all in under 20 minutes!

I guess i was all worked up about nothing, they didnt even mention the fact that my visa had already expired, didn't give me any "overstay stamp" and didnt charge me any extra :o

I'm very happy that i didnt decide to go to the border, would have wasted alot of extra time and money, dont think you can beat 20 mins and 1,900 baht.

pay the overstay i think 9 days over X 200 per day is only 1,800, so it would probably end up costing more to go to border or immigration.

You might not be so lucky next time.

I'm sure someone has mentioned in this thread that being picked up by the police without a valid visa is an offence.

I have heard that the Immigration Detention Centre is not a place to spend anytime........... :o:D

You have just posted that it cost 1900 Baht and took 20 minutes to sort out your visa, why on earth do you want to take the risks of an overstay for the sake of 100 Baht! :D !

I dont understand how you could get caught on overstay anyways?

A ) Who walks around with their passport on them?

B ) Why would you get stopped by the police if your not doing anything completely stupid?

C ) Even if you did get stopped, and you actually had your passport with you, why would you tell them you had it?

D ) Even if you're dumb enough to do all A, B and C, surely it would just end up with you having to lighten your wallet a little bit behind a phone booth?

Edited by dave111223

There is a big sign in immigration bangkok on desk 5 and 6 that says 'VISA EXTENTION MAXIMUM TEN DAYS ONLY'.

Its a little cryptic but I eventually deduced that it meant the maximum extention for that type of visa is currently 10 days.

Will, thats for the Transit Visa and not the tourist visa I think. :o

I dont understand how you could get caught on overstay anyways?

A ) Who walks around with their passport on them?

B ) Why  would you get stopped by the police if your not doing anything completely stupid?

C ) Even if you did get stopped, and you actually had your passport with you, why would you tell them you had it?

D ) Even if you're dumb enough to do all A, B and C, surely it would just end up with you having to lighten your wallet a little bit behind a phone booth?

It is law in Thailand to carry your passport at all times.

I don't but I do carry a laminated card with the photo page of my passport and my annual visa (permission to stay).

The police can stop you for any reason. Sometimes they raid bars and everyone is checked.

You would not need to volunteer that you had your passport, you would be asked for it.

Maybe lighteneing your wallett would work........

Up to you! :o !