Thailand Geographical Subdivisions

scorpio1945

Naw, it's not some secret clique or Masonic society Garry- irreverence and irrelevance are tolerated here probably more than any other forum on Thai Visa. Shhhhhh, don't let the word get out.....:hit-the-fan:

We're just passing the breeze, sitting around the cracker barrel in the General Store reliving the myths and legends of our youth....:whistling:

To be perfectly honest, as a mod I am expected to keep topics on a specific forum strictly germane to that title. And I tread a somewhat fine line sometimes doing so. If I do something you think is wrong or thoughtless or unfair- PM me. Tell me what you think. I have always tried to be fair and judicious.

On Chiang Rai, I know that it is a very small group of members. Many, if not most have little contact personally with others in the community, other than through Thai Visa.

So I kind of look the other way re: "I'm having a bad day" or "I'm having a good day" or a discussion on motorcycles or other topics that are not strictly CR related. Most other mods would send such topics to General, which is that hellhole from which no topic escapes alive.

The excuse is that this group of CR locals, most of whom are marvelous and entertaining and humorous folks, need to have a place to chat and quip online. So in that sense, it is Chiang Rai related.:rolleyes:

McGriffith speaks! :clap2: Interesting take on our little backwater forum. True we are quite spread out over the province of Chiang Rai and not everyone wants to get crapulous, or intemperate, in the bars on Jet Yot Road. This is a way to keep in touch between the lengthy road trips necessary for many of us to visit each other at our homes or share a coffee in town.

Part of the population of the Rai is indeed more easily accessible on these pages but clearly the vast majority of residents are loath to be seem on this site.

We have made some strides of late with several new members becoming active contributors and some old-timers returning to the fold. Most of us even play well with others. Sadly not all.

Thanks for letting us customize this forum to meet the needs of the users. Clearly there is room for our quirky little forum under the larger umbrella of TV, without being deleterious to the image of the parent. Hope we don't make life too difficult for you. ;)

Geez you guys have all the fun, <deleted> am I doing wrong? :)

Working for a living??????:lol:

Yeah, good point :bah: ..where's the hung smiley when I need it :lol:

I wanted to comment on the HUNG smiley but also tried to keep the standards high. Have not seen one of those.

We're just passing the breeze, sitting around the cracker barrel in the General Store reliving the myths and legends of our youth....:whistling:

"Passing the breeze" sounds a bit rude and unpleasant to me, perhaps you meant "shooting the breeze". Most of us refrain from passing anything inappropriate in public. ;)

In my grandfather's little General Store the locals all sat around a big potbelly stove and aimed in the general direction of the spittoon, while spinning tall tales. Thanks for the brief glimpse of an ancient memory. :)

Naw, it's not some secret clique or Masonic society Garry- irreverence and irrelevance are tolerated here probably more than any other forum on Thai Visa. Shhhhhh, don't let the word get out.....:hit-the-fan:

To be perfectly honest, as a mod I am expected to keep topics on a specific forum strictly germane to that title. And I tread a somewhat fine line sometimes doing so. If I do something you think is wrong or thoughtless or unfair- PM me. Tell me what you think. I have always tried to be fair and judicious.

On Chiang Rai, I know that it is a very small group of members. Many, if not most have little contact personally with others in the community, other than through Thai Visa.

So I kind of look the other way re: "I'm having a bad day" or "I'm having a good day" or a discussion on motorcycles or other topics that are not strictly CR related. Most other mods would send such topics to General, which is that hellhole from which no topic escapes alive.

The excuse is that this group of CR locals, most of whom are marvelous and entertaining and humorous folks, need to have a place to chat and quip online. So in that sense, it is Chiang Rai related.:rolleyes:

I'll admit I was somewhat bemused at the path the forum took and suspected it wouldn't last. I even pushed the envelope a little on occasions to see how far it could go.

Unfortunately your opinion isn't always shared by your peers and we still occasionally get threads closed or moved by wandering petty rulebook wavers.

(sceadugenga gives the envelope another little push). B)

• 2 weeks later...

My lady says that Tambon Robwiang is pretty much what I would call the city of Chiang Rai. Sound about right?

Half-right. The Tambon is a central administrative subdivision, the official translation for Tambon is subdistrict. It only has a headman, elected among the village headmen within the Tambon by a popular vote. However, for many Tambon they have exactly the same area as a local administrative unit with an elected chairman and council. Rop Wiang is not like this, part of the Tambon belongs to the city (Thesaban Nakhon) of Chiang Rai, and the remaining part has a Tambon Administrative Organization (TAO or Oh.Bo.To).

VF, etc. - would the dot named mengrai on the google map out your way be described as Moobaan Mengrai in Tambon Mengrai? Is Playamengrai an Ampur Whoops again. I see Jubby already answered the last one.

Often, the dots in Google fall on the building of the local administration within the subdistrict, but sometimes the dots just points randomly into the Tambon. As there are Tambon which have two local government units - both a TAO and a Thesaban usually - there actually should be two dots then. As usually the office is in the largest Muban of the Tambon, and often the Tambon is named after the main Muban (or vice-versa) it can be the case that the Google dots really points to Ban Mengrai, as Mu 10 of Tambon Mengrai is actually named Ban Mengrai.

Phaya Mengrai is an Amphoe, but it is also the name of a local government unit, a subdistrict municipality (Thesaban Tambon) which covers parts of Tambon Mengrai and Mae Pao. And to confuse even more, the TAO Mengrai which covers the remaining subdistrict has been upgraded to a subdistrict municipality as well recently.