,Where I Can Find Imun Serum ,For Snake Bites,And Jellyfish?

Sandman77

Hello!

i have again some questions,that no one can give me answer!

after staying in thailand the last 5 years for over one year on traveling ,i know now in the meantime,that there are many dangerous snake spicies around!

last year i was on Raia and Similian Island,and when i look out the bungalow window,the snakes falling down from the treas,a thai woman told me ,thats a dangerous snake species!

but i dont know all the diffrence,the bigest problem know,also here in europe,when i go to farmacy,no one can help me to find antiserum!

also for the jelly fish,also on mae nam beach,a local told me,it happens,that a tourist have contact with jelly fish,and died in the way to the hospital,because of to much traffic jam!

on a snake show,aorund 2,5 km ,outside from bangkok,i read on a painted wall,that the imun serum for the human,comes from the blood of the horse,because the horse is imun against all kind of snake bites!

with outh the knowledge what serum is needed,for what kind of dangeroues snake species in thailand,i know nothing about it,and i think a "normal"farmaciest cannot,also help about this!

what is needed for the jelly fish?

okay,thanks for your input!

greetings from the alps,until next post!

ps_why i get never a notification mail,on this board when someone reply to my topic,i dont find the option to change this?

Check out this url for some info, then when you are in Bangkok, visit the Thai Red Cross offices, clinic, and snake farm there on Rama IV Road, right in the Chula Hospital complex.

http://www.siamfoundation.org/snakes-thailand/?Snake_Bites_and_Venom

As to antivenom, believe most provincial hospitals have a small selection of types available, and some of the larger district hospitals will too.

Mac

Doesn't make much sense to have serum if you cannot identify the snake. Also, the serum is perishable and needs to be kept refrigerated. If you are that worried (and there is really no need as snakes are not aggressive) check out your closest hospital,

There is no jellyfish serum to the best of my knowledge.

I think you are a little to cautious; I am sure more people get killed crossing the road than getting zapped by jellyfish.

Doesn't make much sense to have serum if you cannot identify the snake. Also, the serum is perishable and needs to be kept refrigerated. If you are that worried (and there is really no need as snakes are not aggressive) check out your closest hospital,

There is no jellyfish serum to the best of my knowledge.

I think you are a little to cautious; I am sure more people get killed crossing the road than getting zapped by jellyfish.

Most snakes in Thailand aren't going to bite you unless you stand on one by accident or aggravate one that is cornered. Other than cobras and a few others most are not lethal. Do some research, there are a few good books with photos around. As hanno says serum is not like keeping a bottle of paracetamol on the shelf. You need to have some medical knowledge and training to administer it. Better to go to a Dr. or hospital if bitten.

Some general advice - if you are close to a snake, do not panic, and stand very still. Most snakes will go away if you do this. They are deaf (mostly) and respond to movement, so sudden reactions will get a response. If bitten, immobilise the entire limb. Also don't try and kill the snake. Many people get bitten this way. Jellyfish - urinate on the sting. Yes there are some very lethal ones around, but they are seasonal and confined to a few southern areas.

Snake anti-venoms are snake specific, have to be kept refrigerated, and can cause very serious adverse reactions. Used only in a hospital setting.

Should you get bitten by a snake,,go to the nearest provincial hospital and bring the snake with you (kill it first of course) if you possibly can, usually after biting snakes stay in the area. Because the hospital will need to ID the snake to treat you.

No serum for jellyfish and while there are some lethal species in some parts of the the deep ocean I haven't heard of them being in Thai waters. Could be the story you heard, if true, was due to the person having an unusual allergic reaction. Or perhaps it was a sea snake, not a jellyfish. They can be lethal, but they aren't aggressive and will try to avoid contact with you.

As others have noted, sensible precautions can greatly reduce the odds of being bitten by snake. But good to know what to do in case.

I would be more worried about getting hit by a car or truck, bad food will probaly kill you faster than a snake bite, and those pesky mosquitoes will make you very sick dengue fever and malaria come to mind. As said above more to worry about than a snake bite.

Of course the snake has to be identified, I fell it is unreasonable to assume that after bitten that the snake can be found and killed, Does anyone know if the Thai hospitals have a ID table to help ID the snake? Is there a copy online?

I was under the belief that you also should not wash the area, as a swab can be taken and that can ID the snake.