Public Bus Accidents Caused By Careless Drivers On The Rise In Thailand

webfact

Bus accidents on the rise

BANGKOK (NNT) – The number of road accidents caused by public buses has increased to almost 200 in the first eight months of 2010, with over 100 fatalities and nearly 2,000 injuries.

According to Land Transport Department Director-General Chairat Sanguansue, 186 road accidents were reported in the first eight months of this year, from January to August 2010. The accidents killed 148 and injured 1,778 people altogether. Public buses accounted for most of the accidents.

85% of the accidents caused by the public buses were due to careless drivers, while the rest were attributed to the poor condition of the buses.

Road accident is also more likely to happen during the rainy season, owing to slippery roads; most of the accidents caused by public buses usually cause heavy damage and loss of lives.

To prevent accidents, bus drivers hence are advised to control their driving speed, especially during heavy rain because slippery roads can cause accidents easily. Meanwhile, all motorists are cautioned not to make sudden lane change or cut in front of other cars abruptly.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-09-27 footer_n.gif

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that a joke ??????????????? Bus drivers are totally nuts ,they often race with other buses ,they dont give a dam_n about public safety or car drivers. They very often let the people go down or up in the middle of the road.

If you really want to have professional bus drivers, SEND THEM TO LEARN HOW TO DRIVE AND HOW TO BEHAVE AND RESPECT OTHERS..

Everyday on my way to the office I can see those crazy bus drivers behaved like maniacs. Very often I had to put my car on the side to avoid collision with buses. Those guys are DAGNEROUS and I still dont know why the government is doing nothing specially after those accidents reports. :angry:

• Like 1

"To prevent accidents, bus drivers hence are advised to control their driving speed, especially during heavy rain because slippery roads can cause accidents easily. Meanwhile, all motorists are cautioned not to make sudden lane change or cut in front of other cars abruptly."

I had the impression that was the bus drivers who are suppose not to change lane suddenly or cut in front of cars abruptly. Can someone explain why this is such a big issue now when we know that nothing has been done for ages.

"To prevent accidents, bus drivers hence are advised to control their driving speed, especially during heavy rain because slippery roads can cause accidents easily. Meanwhile, all motorists are cautioned not to make sudden lane change or cut in front of other cars abruptly."

Who would have believed it???

Maybe if you put an undercover official on a few of the buses and fired the ones who drove crazy things would improve? I watch them pass on the shoulder here all the time. Just to get 2 or 3 cars in front. They cut right in on all the other cars. Crazy...

• Like 1

2002-11-01_Maron-Thailand.jpg

So what? Tell me something I do not already know, and do not see each and every day I drive into traffic, and play a game of death and damage with these morons.

Any amount of reporting on traffic related behavior, regarding these adolescent-minded people, will be absolute redundancy, and worthless to boot.

Driving is one of those rare human behaviors that demonstrate the brain activity (or lack thereof) in the individual craniums of those who operate any vehicle on these roads and sidewalks.

Collectively, I see absolute chaos, utter stupidity and inhuman greed. That pretty much says it all. The chief violaters are the dam_n motorbike drivers (ages 6 through "ready for the display case").

070624_bangkok_hmed_3p.h2.jpg

Drive safe!

Edited by cup-O-coffee
  • Like 1

I drive regularly between Bangkok and Isan, and I see that the interprovincial bus drivers stick very closely to the maximum 100km speed limit I assume is allowed them, even demanded of them by their bosses. But they are uncompromising in their demands for right of way. Most are good drivers, but the way those top heavy buses sway and sway, it must difficult to keep control sometimes and can be quite scary if you are following them. No wonder they get tired. There should definitely be two drivers, not one.:jap:

Is that a joke ??????????????? Bus drivers are totally nuts ,they often race with other buses ,they dont give a dam_n about public safety or car drivers. They very often let the people go down or up in the middle of the road.

If you really want to have professional bus drivers, SEND THEM TO LEARN HOW TO DRIVE AND HOW TO BEHAVE AND RESPECT OTHERS..

Everyday on my way to the office I can see those crazy bus drivers behaved like maniacs. Very often I had to put my car on the side to avoid collision with buses. Those guys are DAGNEROUS and I still dont know why the government is doing nothing specially after those accidents reports. :angry:

LOL first make sure they have a drivers license, then after weeding all the drivers out that do not, then put the ones who do have a license, and aren't drunk or doped up, through a training period to see if they can even remember what the road rules are.

I truly think this is a impossible task to take on, but maybe the Department of Motor Vehicles in Bangkok can achieve this major endeavorer. :jap:

Caught a bus from Ekamai to Jomtien/Pattaya with my Thai wife. Scraped a car near Bagna intersection. Proceeded to the bus depot just down the road to sort the accident out. Driver immediately relieved of duty and replacement driver appointed. Perfectly handled and what would be expected. The catch is the replacement driver was just finishing his shift and went on overtime. After a couple of red bulls the driver saddled up. On the overhead expressway about 10 k down the road I noticed his head nodding. He was falling asleep and I could see us sailing off the edge and falling God knows how far. Nudged my wife in the Aisle seat to wake him. She quickly dug a mint out and gave it to him. Why risk digging for the mint and not just a tap on the shoulder? Face my friends,face. He was grateful, stayed awake and alert and once off the expressway was busy driving again. Is fatigue just another cause of bus accidents? No, the major cause.

• Like 1

Easy..............Make speed limiters mandatory on every bus to limit the top speed to 80 kph. Random and frequent tests on drivers for alcohol and drugs, same as athletes. Plainclothes inspectors to travel on buses and monitor standards of driving. Anyone weaving through the traffic to be sent for retraining.

Easy. You could sort this out in a week.

Meanwhile, all motorists are cautioned not to make sudden lane change or cut in front of other cars abruptly.

This statement has a typo in it. The "all motorists" is supposed to be "all buses, especially the smaller rampaging green buses, and BMTA vans"

I think all these vehicles should have mechanical caps limiting speed and acceleration. These dinosaurs on wheels need to be tamed.

2002-11-01_Maron-Thailand.jpg

So what? Tell me something I do not already know, and do not see each and every day I drive into traffic, and play a game of death and damage with these morons.

Any amount of reporting on traffic related behavior, regarding these adolescent-minded people, will be absolute redundancy, and worthless to boot.

Driving is one of those rare human behaviors that demonstrate the brain activity (or lack thereof) in the individual craniums of those who operate any vehicle on these roads and sidewalks.

Collectively, I see absolute chaos, utter stupidity and inhuman greed. That pretty much says it all. The chief violaters are the dam_n motorbike drivers (ages 6 through "ready for the display case").

070624_bangkok_hmed_3p.h2.jpg

Drive safe!

I see you have photos of the family mini bus. Yeah, they're pretty much a nuisance too. Especially if we crash into them by accident, it's always our fault as car drivers. I get so darn nervous when I see them packed with infants and small kids. And especially the ones with one hand on the mobile phone! Yikes!

Edited by tomyummer

Is fatigue just another cause of bus accidents? No, the major cause.

Stupidity is another big competitor. During my last long distance trip by bus, the driver started racing on the narrow hilly roads of the North with another one. Playing cat and mouse during hours. Then the rain started and that's when you notice the wipers are dead. Never mind... kept on racing.

I forgot to mention: it was a night journey. We just got lucky that night.

They are all responsible: reckless drivers, the ones who give them these licenses like candies, bus companies managements and authorities allowing all this killing circus without acting.

• Like 2

Very strange, but perhaps I missed it....

Usually when there is a report like the original news release there is a reason for it, in the relatively recent few days. OK there have been. but one glaring thing is missing from the release. Other than thought I mean.

Usually when they give you a period of time [ like the Jan 1 through Aug.] and a toll number [so many deaths, injuries, etc] they compare it with the number of corresponding stats from the previous year, or some other comparable period. The numbers are bad , we know that, but are they worse than the same period last year? or the year before?

You can assume that they are getting worse or they wouldn't be making the release.

But overall my post is that , the reporters are just blind about thinking and asking pertinent questions , in this country!

Image is the important thing...... take out your pad and pencil and make it look good when the tv camera pans you.... why for heavens sake.... most of these I've been to hand you a printd out press statement.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Is fatigue just another cause of bus accidents? No, the major cause.

Stupidity is another big competitor. During my last long distance trip by bus, the driver started racing on the narrow hilly roads of the North with another one. Playing cat and mouse during hours. Then the rain started and that's when you notice the wipers are dead. Never mind... kept on racing.

I forgot to mention: it was a night journey. We just got lucky that night.

They are all responsible: reckless drivers, the ones who give them these licenses like candies, bus companies managements and authorities allowing all this killing circus without acting.

So we ve got stupidity/reckless driving, fatigue and maybe rain a bit as well. All agree?