BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IsaanAussie

Pigs 101 (A Start)

Hi guys,Just to let you know my first litter is born.I am so happy with my 12 piglets. There were 13 of them, but 1 was born death :-(

Congratulations,

a shame about the one born dead, but 12 live ones sound good.

Revar

Hey folks,looks like there is some new faces to the forum. Revar and Brabo a hearty welcome to you both.Brabo may i also offer my congratulations to you also with your first litter of 12.

I do have a question/problem.Have any of you encountered problems from mosquito/insect bites? I have one sow that is being continuously bitten and i can not figure out why. Our other sows are not getting targeted and it really has me puzzled why that sow is being singled out? Any ideas folks.

Shaggy

Brabo,

Well I had hoped I would match you today but this time the sow has disappointed with numbers, only 8 piglets in the litter this morning. But as departed friend Fruity used to say, they are corkers.

As this is your first litter, watch them very carefully for the first week. If you are going to loose some, the first three days are when most will drop. Iron injections at day 3 to day 7, do not forget. Tails docked at the same time. I get a basket and go put all the piglet inside and take them out of the pen to do the deeds, as far from Mum as possible. If you have a set of scales weigh them then. I do not clip the teeth. Castration, if you are going to do it at all, wait until they are 2 or 3 weeks old. Yes, a bit of a fight but the piglet will benefit from being stronger and their immune system is more developed. Boars grow the fastest, barrows eat more and get fatter, gilts in the middle. Boar taint has not happened to me yet, even with a 300 kg boar, it is not a reason to castrate. But, at 4 months intact boars will cause a problem with the gilts that just gets worse. If you leave them whole, separately house them.

Anyway, enjoy the piglets, it will just get better and better. I spend time in the pen with the sow and litter every time so they get to know me. At three weeks old you will not find anything more satisfying than playing with the piglets. The key, say hi to Mum first. The key to Mum, a pig is the one farm yard animal most restricted in its ability to scratch itself.

Welcome to the wonderful world of breeding pigs. Remember if you wean these piglets in 4 weeks, get ready for her next pregnancy first. Wean and remate within 5 days.

IA

Revar,

You are in a perfect position to generate what you have in mind. Yes, we do think very much alike, but if 4 years is the date when there must be a profit, then start to look very closely at what others are doing not just me. RedBullHorn is a smart guy. His strategy is to grow pigs out and he has established the contacts that enable him to do that when a profit is almost gauranteed. RBH sold 200 pigs from memory when they were sold at 80 baht per KG. Now you said you got 47 baht. Now he has no pigs. There is a clear difference in strategy between the two of us which you need to look at from your own perspective. RBH has a grow finish operation and I am farrow to finish.

You live in an area that has a lot of small pig farms. I do not and the people have a mindset that pig farms must smell. My advise is to look at the positioning of your farm amid the rest. If you maintain status quo, you will lose. Go above what the neighbours are doing. With 60 or 70 pigs you will not make a difference so look at what you offer as a total package. Will the neighbours help you? No! So why should you be Father "Bloody" Christmas? Generate the profit first, get generous later at their expense not your own.

You are building your new sty now and the pigs move in soon. There is no time to stuff around. If you have the time, come to my place and have a look. It is a four hour drive from your place. If I can offer any advice, do that now!

Isaan Aussie

Hey folks,looks like there is some new faces to the forum. Revar and Brabo a hearty welcome to you both.Brabo may i also offer my congratulations to you also with your first litter of 12.

I do have a question/problem.Have any of you encountered problems from mosquito/insect bites? I have one sow that is being continuously bitten and i can not figure out why. Our other sows are not getting targeted and it really has me puzzled why that sow is being singled out? Any ideas folks.

Shaggy

Shagster,

Pigs are like people. I smoke and drink beer and mosquitoes don't bother me at all. So you got a choice, get some nasty habits for your sow or, get your missus to ask the local vet supplies for a bottle of insect repellent. I buy a small bottle of the very petrochem smelling stuff that you put a capful in a spray bottle full of water and problem gone. Spray the pigs every two days. Bottle costs 30 baht and lasts ages.

Longer term fix for parasites get some injectable ivomectin and dose the sows every three months, internal/external parasities, mange mites the lot. 4 ml per sow 2 weeks before farrowing and your piglets will benefit as well. The real nature of the organic regime is revealed by this 100% synthetic drug, it is recommended. <deleted>?

IA

Shaggy

Shagster,

Pigs are like people. I smoke and drink beer and mosquitoes don't bother me at all. So you got a choice, get some nasty habits for your sow or, get your missus to ask the local vet supplies for a bottle of insect repellent. I buy a small bottle of the very petrochem smelling stuff that you put a capful in a spray bottle full of water and problem gone. Spray the pigs every two days. Bottle costs 30 baht and lasts ages.

Longer term fix for parasites get some injectable ivomectin and dose the sows every three months, internal/external parasities, mange mites the lot. 4 ml per sow 2 weeks before farrowing and your piglets will benefit as well. The real nature of the organic regime is revealed by this 100% synthetic drug, it is recommended. <deleted>?

IA

Thanks wise old owl,i think that we have tried just about everything that our food supplier has in stock.No vet in our area unless you could call the old Thai guy that walks around with an old ruck sack full of beaten up syringes.the poor old girl is more purple than white now,we have even tried swapping pens with her sister but still they only choose her.Maybe a pack of krong Thip and a bottle of Lao Khao could be the answer,but i am a firm believer that you shouldnt drink and smoke whilst pregnant.Congrats with you latest litter also.Ours are not due until December.

Shaggy

Shaggy,

If all the witches brews have failed. Citronellia or equivalent, here try boiling up some lemon grass. Get that wife of yours to go buy some Ivomec. Most livestock meds shops sell if for cows but it works for pigs as well, 1ml per 50 kg body weight.

IA

not 200...130 pigs na krup~:)

As for mozzies, either blue mesh the whole shed like mine or plant lemon grass surrounding the shed.

Lemon grass produces the repellent chemical that are use in can spray insecticide. There are two types of lemon grass, only one type repel mosquitoes, so you need to check which is it...

Thanks to all of you !

@ Isaan Aussie: Congrats to you to and thanks for the advice !!!

The piglets are realy growing. I think I can see them getting larger every day. Although there are still two groups all of them are getting bigger. When I come with the bananas they recognize me and get crazy. This is helpfull for those who do not run to me are probable sick. One of them did not come today and sure enough, swonllen eyelids. a little amoxyl should take care of the infection. I also gave a vitamin B complex injection, which should stimulate his appatite. My two 'runts' are staying behind the rest but are putting on weight. I am being carefull to ensure they gettheir share of the vtamin enriged (c-tonic) bananas.

Prices here have dropped to 45 bath a kg so I am happy I have sold the big ones.

Revar

45 bath/kg, How can it be so low. Any1 know when we can expect normal prices again? And why is it much lower in Isaan?

45 bath/kg, How can it be so low. Any1 know when we can expect normal prices again? And why is it much lower in Isaan?

It's the "Usual guy" price...moreover, pig's weight range of 70-79kg is a price and 80-89kg is another price. ฿10 deduction for every 10kg down range. There's not normal price in livestocks, price flatuate volatile during year end, price will build up leading to Chinese new year next year, best to ready them prior to near February 2012.

CNY 2012 is on 23th January.

Cheers :D

It's the "Usual guy" price...moreover, pig's weight range of 70-79kg is a price and 80-89kg is another price. ฿10 deduction for every 10kg down range. There's not normal price in livestocks, price flatuate volatile during year end, price will build up leading to Chinese new year next year, best to ready them prior to near February 2012.

CNY 2012 is on 23th January.

Cheers :D

There are around 12 'guys' who buy pigs around here. They all use only one price per kilo. Pigs smaller then 70 kg they normally won't buy but everything else is the same price per kilo (even for 140 kg pigs. But if your pigs are too fat they won't buy from you next time or offer a lower price per kg). Some of them slaughter and sell the meat themelves on the markets or from theit car. What others do I don't know. The 45 bath per kg was cash in hand when they pick up the pigs. From some you can get 2-3 bath per kg extra if you agree to be paid later (after they have sold the meat).

In the area I live there are many small pig-farmers (10-20 pigs). Since CP dropped their price to 55 Bath a kg (at least this is what I was told) everybody is selling like crazy. They have too because their pigs are over 100 kg and they can't afford to buy the food without selling some of their pigs. You actually have to wait a week or longer before they can pick up your pigs because they are 'full and have to sell the meat first. Of course by the time they come to pick up your pigs the price has dropped even further. It realy is a buyers market and they are making the big profits now, the meat prices at the butcher shops are actualy rising.

It is a very local thing partly caused by the fact that many people started to raise pigs at the same time when they saw that people were making a profit and the prices were over 70 bath a kg. Now they are losing money some of them will stop raising pigs again.

Something similar happed when I was able o sell my coriander crop for 100 bath a kg. In a week time there were 30 people witc coriander fields and when these were ready to be harvested the price at the markets dropped to 10 bath a kg because of the huge supply.

I myself think that end december the prices should be more normal again, getting higher until Chinese new year. And the budist lent period should also be a good time to have your pigs ready. With many people becomming monks for a short period there are a lo of pigs needed for all the parties.

Revar

Prices are now rising again. 53 bath/kg today. Thats the good news, now the bad.

There has been a lot of deseases at two CP farms and several small farms on one side of our village.

About 9 small farms have had most of their small pigs die and some of the big ones. Word is that it is PRRS.

'Special buyers' of sick pigs cam into the village offering to buy sick pigs for 40 bath a kg. Some people agreed and these 'buyers' probably spread the virus further with their car, boots etc.

Vaccine is 85 bath a pig and many poeple, including me' are now vaccinating.

Revar